Apple’s new 9-pin dock connector might be called ‘Lightning’, new earbuds called ‘Earpod’
Given Apple’s obsessions with catchy marketing tactics, we expect this connector to be called “Lightning,” just as it is referred to internally. It does make sense not only because of the grandeur of the word, but also because the Lightning connector would go along pretty good with the Thunderbolt connector for Macs.
Another piece of the iPhone puzzle that’s just been found is about the new earbuds that will come with the iPhone. We’ve already seen them leak out and they look very different and far from ordinary. Apple is said to name them “Earpods” and sell them for $29 in the States. We’d guess they will be bundled with iPhone and iPods but for absolute certainty, we’d need to wait a few more hours.
It’s coming, folks, we’ll be covering all things iPhone and Apple all day with the big event kicking off at 10:00 PCT.
14. eisenbricher (Posts: 972; Member since: 09 Aug 2012)
Fancy names... I woder what will happen if we pass a REAL thunderbolt through a Thunderbolt port, and a real lightning bolt through this skinny 'Lightning'?
18. darkkjedii (Posts: 14475; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
As an android user anything apple says, or does will b lame to u. I bet if they called to offer u a Job though you'd b there front, and center with your blue shirt on. So stop hating.
19. eisenbricher (Posts: 972; Member since: 09 Aug 2012)
Me and andoid user? Heck, look at my profile pic man... BTW I don't hate Android or Apple, just got amused to see those marketing strategies.
29. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
if anyone says anything slightly negative about apple there branded fandroids and apple haters .....in fact maybe people just have had enough of apples ridiculous patents and suing, plus the fact they bring the same phone out everytime with minor tweaks and shiny gimmicks.
if you cant handle negative comments towards apple then dont come on here. android users get worse of ifans with there flimsy arguements and nokia well they get so much hate its unreal
31. eisenbricher (Posts: 972; Member since: 09 Aug 2012)
No, actually I am an inventor who's scared of apple patents and so was hiding my identity!! Grow up man... I'm not arguing.
20. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Well true, what kinda funny name is that? And looks ugly aswell, even Sony Beats and others looks nice!
3. asulect (Posts: 131; Member since: 27 Aug 2012)
I wonder how long it will take samsung to copy these.
22. asulect (Posts: 131; Member since: 27 Aug 2012)
Yes, a microUSB that's re-shaped into a 9 pin connector called S-Lightning.
25. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
that would be a step backwards for samsung. so im guessin even though the new iphone may have a bigger screen it isnt following samsung as ohh look there s3 has a bigger screen
28. asulect (Posts: 131; Member since: 27 Aug 2012)
yeah, yeah, yeah, i get it. Just because Samsung has the bigger screen first which makes Apple a copycat when it make its iphone screen bigger is exactly the same as Samsung copying Apple designs and ideas so that Samsung's product can look like an Apple product.
30. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
the s3 looks nothing like the iphone
but yeah thats how it works in apples head right, so samsung should sue for the bigger screen again its more solid then what apple patent ..rounded corners ...what a joke
just face facts apples playing catch up, ifans slated the s3 for been too big and sayinh things like 'you dont need a big screen' bet now they'll be like 'omg this is innovation iphone is the irst to do this'
11. xtian1103 (Posts: 361; Member since: 11 Feb 2012)
already done i think. samsung is just waiting to release their copied version at the right moment. meanwhile check the s-dock on samsung windows laptops
4. Suts_97 (Posts: 124; Member since: 05 May 2012)
DC Comics, if this turns out to be true, sue them later for using the word 'Earpod', remember 'Batpod'?
17. jaoowolabi (Posts: 201; Member since: 07 Jun 2012)
so the word pod is patented or something?
21. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
And you forget, the letter: (i)...!
5. gunnroses (Posts: 20; Member since: 12 Sep 2012)
samsung will do their best to copy these products. 1000% guarantee :-)
16. FranksGT (Posts: 167; Member since: 29 Aug 2012)
Such a Ifan, do you seriously believe because apple has money to patent PRIOR ART, that its theirs?
26. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
nope they wont because these are just gimmicky and pretty useless to them plus the main fact samsung doesnt copy every apple thing. its the other way round apple copy's and patents other peoples work them markets it to naive people who automatically believe apple came up with it and its the greatest thing in the world
6. CharlieAtInfinity (Posts: 253; Member since: 10 Apr 2012)
Hey Apple make those damn earphones comfortable in ear rather than that fancy design, all apple earphones are a pain to wear!! hope this one is not painful to wear!!
7. prototype (Posts: 23; Member since: 06 Jul 2012)
Yes later you need to paid $50 for a cable because is call lighting
9. CharlieAtInfinity (Posts: 253; Member since: 10 Apr 2012)
yeah, and all apple loyal fans even some non fan will pay because of the design and the lightning name.. Apple's advertising and marketing at its best!!
12. xtian1103 (Posts: 361; Member since: 11 Feb 2012)
and anti apple fans will buy this one i'm sure. the more you hate the more you love. see you guys on the iphone keynote
13. prototype (Posts: 23; Member since: 06 Jul 2012)
Believe what you want but the so call "lighting" is just a copy version of micro usb cable with a fancy name just to make Apple fan paid more for a "cable".
23. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
"New" 9 pin connector. So did Apple have a earlier version of 9 pin connector?
32. Droid66 (Posts: 5; Member since: 05 Sep 2012)
apple always make big hype..haha even the ant become an elelphant...
33. fervid (Posts: 183; Member since: 22 Nov 2011)
They already have a Thunderbolt port that Intel made. I was also reading recently about new ports in laptops like Display Ports and such and I could have sworn there was already a Lightning port too that looked similar to USB with a lightning bolt on the connector the cord has. I'm predicting Apple sueing everyone again trying to claim they created it all.
34. kabukijoe (Posts: 86; Member since: 06 Mar 2010)
Ut-oh, any products with the word "lightning" in it better brace themselves for the onslaught of nastygrams from Apple's lawyers and prepare for battle. Watch out Greased Lightning!