BlackBerry Pearl 8120 User Reviews

Christopher
posted on 11 Apr 2010, 16:55

Bane of my tech life- BlackBerry Pearl 8120 Frost

I bought this on the recommendation of the T-Mobile salesperson; ignoring my wife's advice. Three days later the salesperson was telling me "to be patient" and that I would "get used to it". Since then, the BlackBerry Pearl 8120 Frost has only given me problems. There were long delays in doing simple things like making calls and texting. Going through the menus was a nightmare; they are like trying to find your way through Alice's Wonderland. Soon, the phone started to have glitches- it would freeze, strange error messages would appear, etc. I could no longer depend on the alarm function- I lost my job because the alarm failed to go off entirely during a difficult time at my former company. I spent a great deal of time trying to get the device to work only to have it malfunction again and again. I contacted RIM/BlackBerry and repeatedly had my messages refused. When I finally was able to get one through, I never received a response. I ended up sending the device back through T-Mobile's warranty exchange. I was only able to get the same product, and the new BlackBerry is doing the same things as the previous one. The only difference- this time the "2" button sticks.

Pros

• Has the features one would expect in an entry-level smartphone (they just don't work)
  • The camera takes sharp, well-defined pictures

Cons

• Blackberry customer service is non-responsive/non-existent
  • The device is incapable of doing basic operations without failure
  • The "Help" menu is not at all helpful

posted on 08 Jun 2009, 00:59

I love it!

This phone is so easy to use, it offers a lot of functionality.  With the new os 4.5 software its even better.  Like being able to see html email and youtube videos.  This phone is not fragile at all.  If you aren't clumsy or dirty you shouldn't have any problems with the phone.  The wifi option allows you to surf the web at fast speeds and the opera mini web browser is fenomenal.  I upgraded from an 8100, I like the new keyboard with its bigger buttons, and the bigger headphone jack (it's now a standard normal jack).  Its too bad that t-mobile doesn't have a 3g pearl yet.  But this will do for now, as my experience with t-mobile's 3g network has not been too great.  A gps feature would have been nice as well.  But I like this phone.

Pros

• Looks nice, easy to use, improved in comparison to the 8100, wifi, bigger headphone jack, easier to access media cards, great software that runs smooth and fast, can play youtube videos, display html emails, and improved keyboard functionality.

Cons

• Not as cool as a blackberry storm, I wish t-mobile could sell it. I would love a big touch screen.

RMW
posted on 04 Apr 2009, 12:59

My 2 Cents Worth

First of all, to have your phone break 4 times, you must be a klutz. Its not the phone, its the person using the phone.
I owned a BB Pearl 8100, and upgraded to the 8120. I havent dropped it 4 times, and purchased an aftermarket case that could withstand many pounds of abuse, in order to protect the phone.
The microsd slot is quite readily accessible, (pro), and it has a better camera than its predecessor, and also features a videorecorder as well. It also has bluetooth and wifi capabilities, enabling the user to switch automatically from the network to wifi, (pro), which is the main reason I purchased the phone. It will support up to 16Gb microsd, (if you are running 4.5 RimOS, (the latest versions, please see Blackberry Forums for further info along this line).

Pros

• WiFi
  • Bluetooth
  • Video Camcorder
  • Small and unobtrusive

Cons

• None, what I purchased is what I wanted in a Blackberry smartphone.

Jacob
posted on 10 Nov 2008, 18:49

DONT GET IT

If i were any buyer thinking about buying this phone i would recomend that you do not buy it.  I had this phone and it brook severel severl times, and i had to get new ones about 4 times. it is not relable, and if you drop it just once from 4 inches it is brooke forever!
dont get it is a waist of money!

Pros

• nothing