Smartphone assembly factory in Vietnam
Upcoming Nexus 5 to be based on the LG G2 minus the back buttons
1. scriptwriter (Posts: 396; Member since: 13 Nov 2012)
The Glass back better be gorilla glass 3, other wise google have lost a faithful nexus fan. I seen so many cases of glass backed phones shattering because the phone gets hot, then the user puts it down on cool (room tempreature) surface and the glass shatters!!!
Other than that, the specs sound good.
13. atsamman (Posts: 74; Member since: 26 Sep 2012)
I always thought that the glass back is very sexy
My only concern is whyyyyy Google why didn't you keep the 4.7inch display ?!!!!
23. scriptwriter (Posts: 396; Member since: 13 Nov 2012)
Its not upto google what the phone has in terms of hardware specs. Google only make the software. It the OEM (LG) who decides.
34. roldefol (Posts: 3228; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
Actually, Google can request the screen size and shape they want on a Nexus, but they're limited to what the OEM has in its supply chain. Case in point, the Galaxy Nexus used a much bigger and higher density screen than the Galaxy S2, but Samsung made it work because Google requested an HD screen.
51. puckhead (Posts: 77; Member since: 13 Jan 2013)
Are you kidding me? You dont think google has imput on the hardware? Im sure LG works with them on what they want.
29. roldefol (Posts: 3228; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
In their defense, if the Nexus 7 is 7", why shouldn't the Nexus 5 be 5"?
35. scriptwriter (Posts: 396; Member since: 13 Nov 2012)
i rufuse to follow this logic. if it were true, then the nexus 7 2 would have a 49 inch screen
36. roldefol (Posts: 3228; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
But that isn't my logic. They don't market it as the Nexus 7². They just call it the New Nexus 7.
I wonder if they'll continue selling the Nexus 4. Then they can cover as many sizes as they want - 4, 5, 7, 10, maybe wedge an 8 in there.
44. atsamman (Posts: 74; Member since: 26 Sep 2012)
Okay then bring us the new nexus 4
I don't care what ever the hell Google wanna call it as long as its a nexus with a reasonable size that's my new phone
I just feel 4.7 is more than big enough I mean 5.2 that's just a .3 inch short of note 2 screen
57. Taters (Posts: 3660; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
Um that is the logic. It is a fact.
Nexus One(a number but not written numerically), Nexus S, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7 2012, Nexus 4, Nexus 10, and Nexus 7 2013.
Since the nexus 7, the numbers were based on screen size. That is a fact.
The each sequel being a higher number system immediately fails because then the Nexus S would have been called the Nexus 2, the Galaxy Nexus the Nexus 3, and the Nexus 7 2012 would have been called the Nexus 4.
Of course the number is based on the screen size, there is no other answer.
The fact that you somehow got two thumbs up for being not very smart actually boggles my mind. I knew Phonearena commentators were bad but not this bad..
58. najariner (Posts: 24; Member since: 31 Oct 2012)
actually the nexus 4 is called that because its the 4th Nexus PHONE, it woulda been the Nexus 4.7 otherwise. Tablets are named by screen size, phones are named by generation
28. Professor (Posts: 194; Member since: 02 Aug 2013)
I have a Nexus 4 (glass back as you know) and it has already fallen a few times to the floor.
In 2 occasions because of its slippery surface since I have one of the first Nexus 4. The second version of the Nexus 4 corrected that problem with 4 raised corners that stop the phone from slippping and from the shattering you are indicating. So basically that problem was corrected with the second generation of the Nexus 4. So I don't think LG is going to go back to the original design of the 1st generation without the raised corners. You can be sure that if they make the Nexus 5 the back will be like the one on the 2nd generation Nexus 4.
2. Kjayhawk (Posts: 291; Member since: 07 Oct 2010)
As long as it comes with a 32 gig version.
3. Kurai (unregistered)
Why bother buying the lg g2 if you can wait for the nexus 5?
21. Kjayhawk (Posts: 291; Member since: 07 Oct 2010)
because most likely the Nexus 5 isn't coming to verizon
22. sid07desai (Posts: 285; Member since: 03 May 2012)
Because LG G2 is available worldwide. And Nexus only US. People in developing countries won't get the Nexus 5 till the Nexus 6 is already starting production
38. gagdude (Posts: 31; Member since: 18 Mar 2013)
Nexus is not only US. Not quite as worldwide as the G2 but not as confined as your BS statement claims it to be. Do your research son.
4. konnor (Posts: 30; Member since: 25 Apr 2013)
Glass back - again? After all the problems with the Nexus 4's back? It better be damn near impossible to break this time.
30. Professor (Posts: 194; Member since: 02 Aug 2013)
I know I have been lucky but my Nexus 4 has survived falls that had me scare running to check the phone without not even a scratch or dent. And it does not have any type of bumper or protection because I like to see (and show its beauty) and use the phone the way it is. I don't like to buy a small and slim phone to later on put a 1/2" padding in the sides and the back making it to look and weight like a brick.
52. puckhead (Posts: 77; Member since: 13 Jan 2013)
I did the same as you but with the LGOG, which is basically the same phone you have. The phone handled many drops, and then finally the back shattered from one drop. Then about a month later I drop it again, and on thin carpet no less, and the screen completely shattered rendering the phone useless. I got a new one with my insurance and now have a case. I got this case, it doesnt bother me at all.
_21?ie=UTF8&qid=1376691493&sr= 8-21&keywords=lg+optimus+g+att+c ase
5. _Bone_ (Posts: 2142; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
Oh yes! I swore never to buy an LG device again years ago when they couldn't replace a battery nor any usable was available online, but this sounds like a deal I cannot pass. Plus it's a "Google phone" so my oath is kinda safe.
54. JunitoNH (Posts: 1038; Member since: 15 Feb 2012)
just so...you know. If you have a problem with your device, Google directs you the manufacture for warranty, and repairs. In my case, was the Galaxy Nexus, and believe me, Samsung has to be the worst when it comes to service.
8. Mr.Mr.Upgrade (Posts: 425; Member since: 30 Aug 2011)
What the point if getting a lg g2. Moto x note3
9. JMartin22 (Posts: 1300; Member since: 30 Apr 2013)
LG is likely to leave out some key perks, as to not overshadow their flagship. I'm sure the the screen and audio quality won't be as refined on the Nexus model as the LG flagship. I'm sure that the former won't have a removable battery (some markets) and expandable storage either. There are visible advantages to having an LG G2 and LG accounted for this, surely.
10. papss (unregistered)
Sounds pretty exciting tbh.. I would love to see it glass back again.
31. Professor (Posts: 194; Member since: 02 Aug 2013)
The glass back is what makes the Nexus 4 (and iphones) so beautiful. I prefer another glass back Nexus than a cheap looking plastic phone.
56. Trex95 (Posts: 572; Member since: 03 Mar 2013)
I agree with you. I own the Nexus 4 and i drop it 3 times not even single scratch.
11. uchihakurtz (Posts: 284; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
Snapdragon 800? *vomits rainbow* This be good, this be real good :-D
12. valapsp (Posts: 485; Member since: 12 Aug 2011)
bring it on with a 3200+mAh battery. less than 3000mA=fail
14. davenycept (Posts: 187; Member since: 03 Jul 2012)
Good times...all these flagship androids coming out for the fall!! O which to choose
15. fistigons (Posts: 263; Member since: 11 Feb 2012)
I wonder if it'll keep the same measurements as the get considering it will have side buttons.
16. itsdeepak4u2000 (Posts: 3101; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
I knew that Nexus 5 will come from LG only, but it'll be same like G2 that's new. So I think it's somewhat like G2 Google Play Edition, ha what say?
17. jan25 (Posts: 427; Member since: 26 Feb 2012)
if this is subsidized, i don't know what to say. Google is killing the competition.
18. Googler (Posts: 813; Member since: 10 Jun 2013)
Comment they wouldn't be making a Google edition of the G2 makes more sense in light of this.
19. Cha7520 (Posts: 218; Member since: 31 Oct 2010)
If its going to have a Snapdragon 800, 5.2" 1080p, 13 MP camera its not going to be the same price as the Nexus 4! You are probably looking around $350 to $400 or more mark.
26. Professor (Posts: 194; Member since: 02 Aug 2013)
If it becomes a reality... Even at $400 it is a steal. Where else you can get an unlocked phone with a 5.2" 1080p screen, Snapdragon 800, LTE, etc for $400.
27. jan25 (Posts: 427; Member since: 26 Feb 2012)
if this phone is offered at $400 in countries where there is no carrier subsidies, it would still be a great deal. other competing devices like the Note3 or iPhone 5s will be offered at much higher price.
20. halowen_pcd (Posts: 7; Member since: 11 Apr 2013)
Oh Sh!t, i hate those back buttons so much. Why i can become a trend???
Clearly making the back of the phone become too ugly
24. jckc92 (Posts: 25; Member since: 28 Nov 2012)
I hope that who ever builds the Nexus 5 listens to the consumer. 4.7" is a big enough screen size. Anything bigger, go buy a tablet!!! Make it available on Verizon from the start!!! 3000 or bigger battery is the sweet spot!!! 800 processor would be great!! Key lime Pie would sweeten the pot...Finally, make the call quality superb..This is what a phone is for isn't it??? oh yeah, 16/32 gb would be great...and make the camera on par with SG4/lumina 928 quality!!!
39. gagdude (Posts: 31; Member since: 18 Mar 2013)
the nexus will never be on verizon anymore dummy
25. Professor (Posts: 194; Member since: 02 Aug 2013)
This sounds like the phone I desire and I am waiting for. I hope it is true. If it becomes true you can be sure I am going to be one of the first ones to order it. Hopefully this time Play Store has enough stock to last more than a few minutes selling it.
32. marbovo (Posts: 658; Member since: 16 May 2013)
And now again we see that Michael H. analysis about google changing it´s path from high spec to high experience(like if we can´t have both...) is a completely bu@$!#t
33. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6816; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
If the NEXUS 5 have a 32gb model I'm buying it. Just need too try too hold out till it launches
37. Professor (Posts: 194; Member since: 02 Aug 2013)
I hope is something like $399 for the 16GB version and $449 for the 32GB version.
41. tussionexdreamzzz (Posts: 2; Member since: 16 Aug 2013)
I love it I was just saying yesterday I wish they would put a glass back on the Nexus 5 and my wish came true :)... And it's great they using the 800 instead of the 600 I would rather have a 5" screen instead of 5.2"
42. md227a (Posts: 129; Member since: 20 Mar 2012)
If this is the case I will be selling my S4 to get it. I want at minimum a 16gb with LTE if it has that plus the other rumored leaked specs. I'll be all over it
43. bigstrudel (Posts: 518; Member since: 20 Aug 2012)
If this is true I'm going to have to pass on the Nexus 5. It's just too large.
47. Professor (Posts: 194; Member since: 02 Aug 2013)
Well. As soon as I have a LG Nexus 5 in my hands I sell you my Nexus 4 (4.7" screen only).
45. zombiewolf115 (Posts: 38; Member since: 16 Jul 2013)
last i check lg themselves said they wernt gunna work on the nexus project again didnt they?
46. jove39 (Posts: 1365; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Glass back just prohibits cooling...get rid of it and goto aluminum chasis
49. scsa852k (Posts: 313; Member since: 16 Oct 2012)
My mind is pretty much made up already.
I'm jumping from Nexus 4 -> Nexus 5
55. Trex95 (Posts: 572; Member since: 03 Mar 2013)
Great news. Nexus 4 made by LG the best Nexus till date and upcoming Nexus 5 even better.
59. Killertech2099 (Posts: 143; Member since: 28 Sep 2013)
I don't get why people are complaining about the screen size. Bigger is better!! The reason why they did it cause they want to compete! The Lg isn't that special, its a good phone but it has ways to go, for instance the interface is horrible. I would take my chances on the nexus 5. Its a screen lol idc if the screen is bigger. To be honest if your a real nexus fan take the screen as an advantage. Your mad about something that has nothing to do with the hardware lol