Samsung's Galaxy S III outsold the iPhone last quarter
And that isn’t just in terms of aggregate sales across an entire mobile operating system, as Samsung’s mammoth Galaxy S III launch was enough to unseat the iPhone last quarter as the best selling phone in the U.S. That information comes from Michael Walkley of Canaccord Genuity, who did channel checks on all four of the major U.S. carriers. The iPhone 4S has a mild handicap since they don’t offer a version on T-Mobile while Samsung launched versions of their phone for all four carriers, but in reality the Galaxy S III ended the quarter as the top seller for both Spring and Verizon even with the head to head competition.
Samsung isn’t likely to hold on to the title for long – there are some major product announcements coming from others in the Android camp, and there will be also be a major push for Windows Phone 8 devices in Q3. And perhaps most significantly, Apple just made it official that the iPhone 5 will be shown off on September 12th, and we would expect the device to go on sale later in the month or early October, after which it will presumably reclaim the title of best-selling phone for a least a couple of quarters.
Still, we imagine that executives at Samsung headquarters are looking to be cheered up right about now, and these numbers must bring a bit of a smile to them as they ponder their next set of legal maneuvers.
source: Canaccord Genuity via BI
15. Lucas777 (Posts: 2121; Member since: 06 Jan 2011)
please dont incite it… just say something knowledgable if you feel like commenting such as how this reflects a small portion of iphone sales that slump due to the expected new model…
55. Connie.Linghus (banned) (Posts: 32; Member since: 14 Aug 2012)
We must remember that this victory is only temporary as, when the New iPhone is released with all its' new features and the tremendously huge expansion in iPhone screen size, all current Android flagship devices will become iNsiGniFiCant and Apple will once again rule like it did in its' hayday for the iGods have spoken.
61. Owlet (Posts: 445; Member since: 21 Feb 2011)
"Tremendously huge expansion"??? What, are they making an iPhablet? That would be revolutionary! Changing everything, again...
67. MATOZ (Posts: 71; Member since: 10 Aug 2011)
do you said: "huge ... screen size"?
let me .... give you a HUGE .... ja! (laugh)... to you!
90. dragonite99 (unregistered)
r u serious?????
94. anywherehome (Posts: 971; Member since: 13 Dec 2011)
yes, because people are st*pid who want to have monopolized market without proper competition through ridiculous patents and rotten and ill behaviour of Apple:
goo [dot] gl/AWKfX
25. tedkord (Posts: 3912; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
It's to bad Taco was banned. He could explain why his "inside sources" told him the Galaxy S3 was a flop, not selling in the US.
Unless, of course, that was his evil spoofing twin.
59. Connie.Linghus (banned) (Posts: 32; Member since: 14 Aug 2012)
Again, he was banned. Why is this site so restrictive? What happened to truth and justice (and, the American way)?
60. tedkord (Posts: 3912; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
I don't know about justice or the American Way, but truth and Taco are mutually exclusive.
68. jroc74 (Posts: 3977; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
We can look for Ardent1....who claimed the GS3 was getting returned....in droves.....after the verdict.
I love it when Apple fanboys are wrong. That needs to be the name of a show "When Fanboyism Goes Bad"
49. htc_prep (Posts: 303; Member since: 09 Oct 2009)
its an android variant (aka copy cat) of the iPhone so of course the features people want of the Iphone combined with the most popular OS and the name of Samsung its only natural for people to gravitate to that device.
Just because it sold the most its not the best that is in the eye of the beholder
73. htc_prep (Posts: 303; Member since: 09 Oct 2009)
it was a joke in response to the verdict of the lawsuit.
but between s voice and s cloud s beam and the home button it is an iphone variant...
56. tedkord (Posts: 3912; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
It's superior to the iPhone 4s in every respect.
69. androiddownsouth (Posts: 598; Member since: 02 May 2012)
I see zero alike visually or with the interface that is anything like an iPhone, in my opinion. Also, the iPhone 5 isn't adding any features that haven't been available on many Android platforms for about a year or more.
These(iPhones) are not the droids you are looking for. Move along.
50. Apple-Royally- (Posts: 16; Member since: 24 Aug 2012)
Bad news for iPhone, but the new iPhone will bring sales back to normal.
85. Angkor (Posts: 108; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
Galaxy S3 is a short term victory wait until iPhone 5 is release, those iPhone lovers will be sleeping in line for it may be a week in advance.
3. Jay_F (Posts: 236; Member since: 29 Nov 2011)
Are you serious? Was this unexpected to ANYBODY!?!? Of course it outsold the iPhone. Not only because it's the arguably best phone on the market, but also because of the expected announcement/release of the new iPhone.
28. tedkord (Posts: 3912; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Most of us expected it. But it's nice to see in print, especially since some here claimed that it was flopping in the US. Well, one did anyway, according to his "inside sources."
88. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
OMG lmfao that was really so funny...
I can't stop laughing sarb009! O GOD.
6. zzzzz (Posts: 18; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
Coward Samsung releases their phone when there is no new models released... Cheap Samsung...
30. ibap (Posts: 675; Member since: 09 Sep 2009)
So I suppose if Apple did something similar, you'd say it was just good market strategy?
71. jroc74 (Posts: 3977; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
The hypocrisy and logic from the pro Apple folks is amazing.
40. ph00ny (Posts: 565; Member since: 26 May 2011)
so they should change their product cycle to meet apple's? That sounds well dumb
72. jroc74 (Posts: 3977; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
Yea...last time I checked...that was good business. Why even try to compete with the media frenzy of a new iPhone release?
Its called smart business.
76. -box- (Posts: 3565; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
EVERYONE releases phones off apple's product cycle, because other OEMs decide to let their customers have more than one new option per year.
8. rusticguy (Posts: 2810; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
So Samsung can expect more troubles from Patent troll against SIII.
9. ilia1986 (unregistered)
iPhone 4S: almost 11 months
Galaxy S3: less than 4 months
Nuff said. :)
27. andro. (Posts: 1927; Member since: 16 Sep 2011)
But the galaxy s3 will sell continually extremelywell until the s4 is released and even then it will sell well at a lower price range. The iPhone sells in a huge initial surge from crazed ifans then declines downwards. Simultaneously Samsung also has high sales with the galaxy notes,new nexus phones,mid tier handsets etc.
74. jroc74 (Posts: 3977; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
Folks always use this excuse....but bottom line....its outselling the God phone.
Remember the article where the iPhone picked up market share in the US....and Android dropped? Explain that one please. Ppl are still buying the iPhone for that to happen. No matter what new version is coming in Sept.
Gotta agree with tedkord:
'nuff said .
10. willard12 (Posts: 545; Member since: 04 Jul 2012)
This is impressive considering that Samsung also sells the Galaxy note, galaxy ace, Galaxy S2, omnia, S2 skyrocket, etc. For 1 model to have such high sales when they offer a variety of devices is good. So goes the myth that android leads in market share by a wide margin because of "cheap" handsets.
21. Lucas777 (Posts: 2121; Member since: 06 Jan 2011)
i think part of the argument about the "cheap" handsets is globally.. not in the United states where "cheap" handsets do not drive as much volume
11. redsox420 (Posts: 90; Member since: 27 Aug 2012)
Iphoney 5.. 4 inches of glorious screen. More rounded icons and a rectangle box with rounded corners that has samsung parts in it. . Brought to you by the wizards of Cupertino. More of the same.
Headline from Fruity Company: "Fruit once again shows why no other phone competes" Coming Sept 12 The all new redesigned Iphoney 5.. 4 amazing large inches of screen. A first in the industry. No other manufacturer will ever go that large.. WOW
16. sudbury78 (Posts: 123; Member since: 12 Jul 2012)
That post sounds as educated as a typical Red Sox Fan. How about them Sox this year? Class organization, class ownership and class mananger. You have nothing going right for you.... your baseball team and the fact you are trying to hate the worlds greatest company. Poor guy. Someone give him a hug.
19. infinitemethod (Posts: 122; Member since: 04 Sep 2012)
"Mananger" Education. Grab one, son.
20. tedkord (Posts: 3912; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Do you happen to think that Iran is the greatest country in the world?
24. sudbury78 (Posts: 123; Member since: 12 Jul 2012)
When Obama is long gone the USA will get back to being the best.
31. tedkord (Posts: 3912; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
So you think Ron Paul will win? Because I can't see the grandfather of Obamacare fixing anything.
18. Lucas777 (Posts: 2121; Member since: 06 Jan 2011)
you are retarded… what the hell do u want apple to say? oh this phone sucks its not as good as the others dot buy it… please… dont be such an idiot for marketing
and if apple says "no other manufacturer has gone this large" and they out a 4-inch screen, i will personally be very shocked… and then you can admonish apple all you want… but they would never say such a blatant lie -- there is a difference between saying 4 inches is the best screen size and nobody else has more than 4 inches…
22. tedkord (Posts: 3912; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Apple prefers much more subtle lies. Like, "we invented this awesome new technology called multitouch."
23. infinitemethod (Posts: 122; Member since: 04 Sep 2012)
What he was trying to say blew right over your head. He was mocking Apple's marketing. Apple will, however, put a spin on their 4-inch display calling it, "The Perfect Size."
80. Lucas777 (Posts: 2121; Member since: 06 Jan 2011)
i know what he was doing.. but he was doing it wrong.. apples marketing does not tell such blatant lies and its the pseudo effect of this marketing that makes him believe it is…
apples marketing team rarely makes statements such as that at all… they rely on flashy effects and emotion instead.. so his post is completely irrelevant to the actual tactics used in apple marketing..
the keynote speeches calling it revolutionary and such is what happens at every keynote speech.. again, are they supposed to say the product is a devolution and sucks?
33. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 4599; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
There is no reason to insult because now you look the same as you have mentioned in your comment.
12. infinitemethod (Posts: 122; Member since: 04 Sep 2012)
This story seems rather silly and not needed. With the errors in it, probably was to hit a quota very quickly. With that said, the GSIII is the best phone on the market and will be until early next year, give or take the Note II and possibly a WP8.
26. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5280; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
"...and will be until early next year,..."
And then Sammy will release the GS IV and the cycle will start all over again.
Meanwhile, Apple will release the iPhone 5S (in September, 2012) which will have a minor bump in hardware specs (just like the 4S was to the 4).
I wonder which company is more innovative?
41. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5280; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Edit - September, 2013 for release of the iPhone 5S. PA, please remove the post lock function. :-(
65. bigstrudel (Posts: 518; Member since: 20 Aug 2012)
The One X international with Sense 4.1 and 4.0.4 has equal real life performance, better benchmarks, better display and build quality than the S3 right now. And its an older phone.
Note 2 however does look like a great device especially since they dumped pentile on their displays. RGB is the only way to go for top notch displays.
That being said. This article is stupid because the iPhone 5 will destroy sales of every Android phone sold in the US *Combined* for the next 6 months at least.
17. tedkord (Posts: 3912; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
From the desk of Tim Cook
To: Legal Department
FIND A REASON TO BAN THE GALAXY S3. NOW.
29. sudbury78 (Posts: 123; Member since: 12 Jul 2012)
Release the Iphone on September 21, 2012. Galaxy S3 becomes a non factor.
32. infinitemethod (Posts: 122; Member since: 04 Sep 2012)
You apparently don't pay attention to the world marketshare numbers.
34. tedkord (Posts: 3912; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
And then in April of 2013, when the SGS4 releases, the iPhone 5 becomes second fiddle again. So?
47. bucky (Posts: 1222; Member since: 30 Sep 2009)
It took four months and an impending release of the new iPhone. Samsung is doing well but it will take a few more years before that might happen
63. tedkord (Posts: 3912; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Doing well? They are by far the number one smartphone manufacturer. They are doing more than well.