Samsung lists which of its US smartphones will receive Jelly Bean
Even though we've seen a list of which Samsung devices (sold world wide) that would receive Jelly Bean, there hasn't been any official word on which of Samsung's US smartphones would receive the update.
First off, the Samsung Galaxy Nexus for Sprint and Verizon have already been updated to Jelly Bean, as well as Sprint's Nexus S 4G. What is interesting is that the Samsung Galaxy S III update is only listed as "Coming Soon" for Sprint, AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, and U.S. Cellular. At this point, we were hoping there would be more of an official time frame given. Missing is any mention of the Samsung Galaxy S II sold in the US, as Samsung has already said the overseas model would receive Jelly Bean, so we're not sure why the US model would not.
Over the past few weeks, we there have been Jelly Bean leaks for the AT&T and T-Mobile Galaxy S III, including a recent Jelly Bean leak for Sprint. But we have yet to see a leak for the Verizon model. Hopefully the official Jelly Bean update will hit for all Samsung Galaxy S III models in the US before the end of the year, as most newer smartphones coming out for the holiday season are expected to ship with JB, or be updated to it within a couple months.
36. MeoCao (unregistered) posted on 04 Oct 2012, 10:59 6 0
And GN is Google's credit, not SS
2. kshell1 posted on 04 Oct 2012, 08:29 14 1
Im going to die if my sgs2 doesn't get jelly bean
3. protozeloz posted on 04 Oct 2012, 08:34 5 2
I think It will, I mean we have seen JB leaks for it already
5. kshell1 posted on 04 Oct 2012, 08:39 2 1
sgs2 epic 4g touch i mean. if it doesnt oh well guess ill have to go to XDA
16. ZEUS.the.thunder.god posted on 04 Oct 2012, 09:12 0 0
i have been running JB on my international S2 for close to 2 months now. go to XDA and you got it.
18. kshell1 posted on 04 Oct 2012, 09:20 1 1
XDA has done me well, Im running 1.7ghz right now with the GPU at 400mhz. Smooth as "butter" haha jelly bean joke
26. whysoserious posted on 04 Oct 2012, 09:53 4 0
Yea but you do notice that your battery drains a lot faster now, right?
30. kshell1 posted on 04 Oct 2012, 10:12 0 2
Actually no no i haven't.
33. ZEUS.the.thunder.god posted on 04 Oct 2012, 10:28 3 0
actually it does but not a big difference though.
47. XPERIA-KNIGHT posted on 04 Oct 2012, 12:57 0 0
but isnt the battery removable on the S2??
49. kshell1 posted on 04 Oct 2012, 13:38 1 0
Yes, yes it is,http://www.amazon.com/QCell-Samsung-4100mAh-Extended-Compatible/dp/B006SK5HHW....Th
eyno longer sell this 4100mah beast though.
54. ZEUS.the.thunder.god posted on 04 Oct 2012, 14:17 0 0
yeah it is but with you dont need an extra battery. it will last you a full day even with heavy use.
28. badini007 posted on 04 Oct 2012, 10:06 1 0
I have installed JB on my SGS2 more than 3months for XDA (Rootbox-JRO03H) and with normal usage the battery lasts 1 to 2 days.
12. denied911 (banned) posted on 04 Oct 2012, 09:00 1 1
in europe s2 will have jb
and even ace 2
17. Mxyzptlk posted on 04 Oct 2012, 09:13 5 10
It was bound to happen. I don't really see Samsung updating the S2 to JB or at least not in the immediate future.
4. ajac09 posted on 04 Oct 2012, 08:39 0 0
this is only the gs3 list seems incomplete since they said gs2s would be getting it to
6. FranksGT posted on 04 Oct 2012, 08:41 1 5
Why would you die? Most devices gets 1-2 updates then stop. Its the android world. Nothing is that great with 4.1 anyways
8. TheDude13 posted on 04 Oct 2012, 08:45 4 0
well i havent try the JB but all the android sites praise the update
60. crankyd00d posted on 05 Oct 2012, 02:33 0 0
It really is amazing. My GNex felt like a brand new phone as soon as I updated. FranksGT is just jealous and trolling hardcore
10. AliNSiddiqui posted on 04 Oct 2012, 08:49 1 1
Every Samsung Galaxy device has gotten at leasy 3 updates... besides Samsung confirmed Jelly Bean for Galaxy S II.
25. g2a5b0e posted on 04 Oct 2012, 09:52 1 2
Every Samsung Galaxy device has gotten at least 3 updates? Are you serious? I bet you can't even name one because that's simply not true.
53. Berzerk000 posted on 04 Oct 2012, 13:58 0 0
No, the most any Samsung Galaxy device got in terms of updates is 2 to my knowledge, it was the original Galaxy S, it released with 2.1, then later got 2.2 then 2.3
58. g2a5b0e posted on 04 Oct 2012, 16:37 0 0
You're absolutely right, but for some reason I get thumbed down twice for stating the facts. The people on this site are unbelievable. You can't state facts without getting hated on.
EDIT: I guess, technically, the Nexus S is a Galaxy device too. Also got 2 updates.
62. Berzerk000 posted on 05 Oct 2012, 03:30 0 0
The Nexus shouldn't be counted as a Galaxy device, it's a Google device.
64. g2a5b0e posted on 05 Oct 2012, 08:04 0 0
I'm sure it can be interpreted either way. I mean, the second Samsung Nexus device specifically has Galaxy in the name.
65. Berzerk000 posted on 05 Oct 2012, 09:05 0 0
Yeah, I can understand. But Samsung should not be given credit towards the updates even though it is "Galaxy" device, considering the updates are handled by Google.
66. g2a5b0e posted on 05 Oct 2012, 09:26 0 0
I can agree with that.
7. TheDude13 posted on 04 Oct 2012, 08:43 0 0
What about the S2????????? U Got to be kidding me
9. deadinside posted on 04 Oct 2012, 08:46 1 1
They just need to stop talking about it , and just get the updates out already.
61. Captain_Doug posted on 05 Oct 2012, 02:37 0 0
My wife has it and i'm not sure how she hasn't thrown it against a wall many times... oh wait, she has... Such crap.
13. tlsmithsr posted on 04 Oct 2012, 09:04 4 0
Your not missing much... Expandable notifications.. Google Now... Butter Project.
32. dejastar posted on 04 Oct 2012, 10:18 0 0
Ah sorry, hard to pick up on sarcasm on ze interwebs.
14. Droid_X_Doug posted on 04 Oct 2012, 09:05 3 0
In the U.S., 'coming soon' is due to carriers controlling the release of the update. The only manufacturer who gets to do their own release schedule is Apple.
20. JunkCreek posted on 04 Oct 2012, 09:21 1 0
my galy won't get any... even ics... wrong buy. my se xperia mini now has ics.
22. MartyK posted on 04 Oct 2012, 09:38 0 0
Yeah, I think I will stay in the Nexus family..this waiting stuff, is waaaaay too long...
The U.S. Carriers need to be a shame of them self; I mean, that can give the customers a choice/option to download a version with or without their bloat ware, Come on now, some people has already brought their phones and sign their long a** contracts with them.
23. tlsmithsr posted on 04 Oct 2012, 09:45 1 0
Only upgrade to Nexus devices so you don't have to wait.
24. ChafedBanana posted on 04 Oct 2012, 09:50 0 0
Nexus 4 life, holmes! You couldn't pay me to use anything else.
27. dejastar posted on 04 Oct 2012, 10:00 0 0
Oh you crazy kids. Back in my day phones didnt have UI updates. Whats a couple of months wait?
29. Sniggly posted on 04 Oct 2012, 10:12 0 0
Oh nice, Samsung, just go ahead and don't list the Note.
34. Sniggly posted on 04 Oct 2012, 10:29 0 0
Yes, I know. I'm talking about the first Note, the one I have. Granted, Samsung says the list is subject to change, but still.
41. Droid_X_Doug posted on 04 Oct 2012, 11:59 0 0
AT&T is probably being mean to Sammy, hence no update schedule for Note I.
52. Mxyzptlk posted on 04 Oct 2012, 13:51 0 0
Why am I sad?
35. mas11 posted on 04 Oct 2012, 10:38 0 0
I personally believe if your phone has ICS, It should be upgraded to JB.
37. InspectorGadget80 posted on 04 Oct 2012, 11:04 1 1
f**kING B.S. Next time i'm never going to buy a phone THAT PROMISE THE UPDATE. FCK ALL OTHER DEVICE. I'm waiting next year for a JELLY BEAN PHONE
42. Droid_X_Doug posted on 04 Oct 2012, 12:01 0 0
You might want to modify your purchase filter. Next year, JB might even be stale.
43. Sniggly posted on 04 Oct 2012, 12:05 0 0
Dude, I'm not even joking. You need some anger management counseling. You're always angry.
51. Droid_X_Doug posted on 04 Oct 2012, 13:47 0 0
Inspector does seem a bit animated. I am a bit surprised that he didn't pick up on delays in updates, though. This isn't the first (or second) time that a manufacturer has slipped their update schedule. Moto (and VZW) sure took their time with the ICS roll-out for the RAZR.
Not meaning to lecture, but if you want a particular O/S on a handset, don't buy the handset until the desired O/S is shipping with the handset.
38. networkdood posted on 04 Oct 2012, 11:18 0 0
I have had Jelly Bean on my CAPTIVATE - a SGS I, since August....
39. xoutrageousx posted on 04 Oct 2012, 11:47 1 2
Welcome to Samsung, where we hate on Apple because they update phones that are over 3 years old...yet we don't that are just a few months old.