Samsung firmware update will fix sudden death issue with the Galaxy S III
There is no word on when Samsung will push out the update, but we're a strong believer in the theory that sudden death should be reserved for the NFL and NHL. Samsung spokeswoman Anne ter Braaky says that if you have a unit that is not working, take it to a Samsung repair center. While the motherboard is covered under the warranty, the firmware still needs to be updated.
If you are one of the unlucky ones whose Samsung Galaxy S III has crossed over, Samsung says not to worry, the company will take care of you.
source: Tweakers(translated) via AndroidAuthority
2. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
The article image is WISHFUL Thinking at best. Hope Apple's DND is active :)
5. Ninetysix (Posts: 2057; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
That bug will fix itself on Jan 7th.
A U T O M A T I C A L L Y
It's self aware bro.
19. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
Hm... and what if you for some reasons turn back the date in your phone, does bug will return? And then can we call this bug as fixed?
9. darkkjedii (Posts: 17115; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
This article isn't even about apple, and doesn't once mention apple. Why try to start a flame war dude.
20. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
Well i didn't like the article abstract image ... so that's the real source. At least source of flame wars shouldn't come from writers.
22. bigdawg23 (Posts: 421; Member since: 25 May 2011)
People do it because people like to torch Apple for the DND meanwhile Android is apparently perfect. I own both a Gnote 1 and iPhone 5 so I can be open minded about both system flaws.
3. PointMaza (Posts: 60; Member since: 14 Dec 2012)
Too late samsung i sold my s3 a month ago!!
21. networkdood (Posts: 6330; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
did you check XDA for the fix, prior to Samsung's official fix? Many a times XDA has the fix first.
4. KazEmpire (Posts: 39; Member since: 07 Nov 2011)
Glad to hear its being solved.
it was keeping me from buying S3.
6. SleepingOz (unregistered)
if you don't mind the size, buy the GNOTE II instead.
11. KazEmpire (Posts: 39; Member since: 07 Nov 2011)
well i dont mind the size but i do mind the price.
12. jtmoney430 (Posts: 5; Member since: 30 Jul 2012)
I would love the GNote 2 instead of the S3. But I don't see anyone wanting to make that trade. So no biggie cause the S3 is still an extremely sweet phone.
7. bonsly16 (Posts: 61; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
Nice gesture from Samsung and good for them to recognize the issue with their own firmware and find a solution.
8. darkkjedii (Posts: 17115; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
This just goes to show that no handset is perfect, kudos to Samsung for taking care of the issues.
13. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
Oh sweet.. now I can get back to enjoying my S3 in peace.
Samsung will take care of you my precious, yeeesss it will.. we love Samsung, yeeesss we do..
14. cripton805 (Posts: 1177; Member since: 18 Mar 2012)
At least they fixed it and all it took was an update. Nothing wrong with the hardware.
15. duwiegeneral (Posts: 48; Member since: 07 Dec 2012)
this sudden death bug is the worse i ave ever heard and thats all u bias andrie's r so call adroid lover's can say????????? wat if it was the lumia's r iphones??
17. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
Which bug is wore, bug which can be fixed with update or bug which can't be fixed with update?
At least they don't say "You're holding it wrong!"...
16. shuaibhere (Posts: 1962; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
Even the rooted units?????
23. samsungapple (Posts: 10; Member since: 30 Sep 2012)
at least samsung cares about their customers unlike apple.....
25. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
mate get you head out your ass, no company cares. if they can find a way to squeeze cash out of you while keeping you in the mindset that they care they will.
they didnt do this fix for you, they did it to retrieve there image and keep people from switching to competition. if they had left this then there reputation would decline and someone else would be there to pick up those who want to switch
all about money so again head remove it from ass please
26. darkskoliro (Posts: 1062; Member since: 07 May 2012)
Lots of people are still being affected by it nevertheless....
27. tanim (Posts: 17; Member since: 27 Jun 2012)
Anyone having slow charging issue when upgraded to JB 4.1.1?
28. loken (Posts: 462; Member since: 09 May 2012)
my dads phone has it.. it dosent charge it decharges..
29. tanim (Posts: 17; Member since: 27 Jun 2012)
I've searched and found a lot of people having the same issue. Too bad media is not picking it up
30. ryscott (Posts: 1; Member since: 03 Jan 2013)
My sgs3 is still under the care of samsung service center in Thailand. Exactly January 01, 2013 my phone experienced a sudden death syndrome. so far almost of my colleague sgs3 phone are working well. They're also worried that they may experience the same thing. Good thing samsung still gives me hope. (my sgs3 just only 4 mo.old).
31. mariosraptor (Posts: 111; Member since: 15 Mar 2012)
the best thing is that it is a SW bug. that means that hardware quality is top notch and has no competition.
so a sw update by them will fix it permanently. anybody that is afraid i just remind of a 2 year manufacturer warranty.
now that they have acknowledged it do not worry if you yor phone dies.
just take backups frequently.
32. SEFsung (Posts: 15; Member since: 28 Dec 2012)
That's why I love Samsung, they don't blame their costumers' handling. ;)))
33. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
I got a 165MB software update yesterday.
And it just started automatically when I turned Wi-Fi on.
Is that it?