Samsung Galaxy S5 to arrive in stores in three weeks (in mid-March), report claims
Samsung has officially confirmed that it will hold its “Unpacked 5” event next week, and has teased icons from its new, overhauled TouchWiz that should come with modern, flat-style visuals.
Rumors so far suggest that the Galaxy S5 will launch in two variations. Both are said to have a 5.2” display, but the first one will feature the same 1080 x 1920 pixel resolution as the Galaxy S4, and the second one, an S5 Prime of sorts, is said to have a Quad HD 1440 x 2560-pixel screen. Under the hood, the S5 should come with a quad-core Snapdragon 800 system chip (a slightly improved model of it, though) and 3GB of RAM. On the back, both S5s could flaunt a 16-megapixel ISOCELL camera.
Let’s not forget, though, that this mid-March release date and the aforementioned specs are just rumors at the moment. In just a few days, we should see the Galaxy S5 in all of its glory at MWC, and we’ll be covering it all live from the showroom floor. Stay tuned!
Samsung Galaxy S5 rumor round-up: release date, price and features Fullscreen
More popular slideshows
iOS 7 release date and time are today (Sep 18), get ready to update!
18 Sep 2013, 04:00
Spring chickens: Samsung Galaxy S5 vs Sony Xperia Z2 comparison preview
26 Feb 2014, 09:37
Samsung Galaxy S5: all you need to know
24 Feb 2014, 17:06
Samsung Galaxy S5 rumor round-up: release date, price and specs
12 Feb 2014, 08:58
Sony Xperia Z2 display analyzed: large color gamut, excellent color accuracy
28 Feb 2014, 05:29
Samsung Galaxy S5 rumor round-up: release date, price and features
1. Galaxy S5 may have a 5"+ display with staggering 2560 x 1440 resolution
2. Galaxy S5 may sport a PLS LCD display instead of an AMOLED one
3. Galaxy S5 may sport a new, 64-bit Exynos chipset
4. The Samsung Galaxy S5 may pack the healthy 4 GB of RAM
5. 16 MP camera with OIS
6. 2900 mAh battery with fast charging, or a 3200 mAh battery
7. Galaxy S5 may sport a fingerprint sensor
8. A GS5 in plastic, and a GS5 in metal
9. New TouchWiz UI style
10. Conference video call feature baked in
11. Galaxy S5 release date in Q1
When it comes to price, there isn't any information just yet, but we can make some educated guesses. The major carriers in the United States graced the Galaxy S4 with a $199.99 price-tag on a two-year contract. There is no reason to believe that carriers may choose a different galaxy S5 pricing. Internationally, an unlocked Galaxy S5 will probably be offered at a 'popular flagship' price of somewhere between 600 and 700 €.
12. Evidence for an MWC 2014 announcement
13. Possible Galaxy S5 model numbers
14. Life Times diary app
15. Galaxy S5 to come in rugged "Active" and camera-centric "Zoom" forms
16. On-screen buttons, instead of off-screen ones
17. Alleged Galaxy S5 box contents
source: GSM Arena
1. akki20892 (Posts: 2250; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
And we forget one more thing: a lot of version of S5s.
Looking forward to seeing S5 because Samsung refresh ui and design hopefully.
9. Skoms (Posts: 117; Member since: 03 Feb 2014)
The Review of Samsung Galaxy Tab PRO 8.4 was very good.
2. aayupanday (Posts: 285; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
HTC will again be blown out by the Galaxy S5 sales just like the last year in which late market entry of HTC One resulted in huge sales of the S4.
Good Job Samsung!
14. emadshiny (Posts: 970; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
I think HTC One sales will be blown by almost every rival as it has nothing special.
17. surethom (Posts: 144; Member since: 04 Mar 2009)
The S4 was just full of gimmicks that no one used, hopefully the S5 will be less gimmicky & have a better low light camera.
18. newbey123 (Posts: 227; Member since: 19 Mar 2012)
I wouldn't get my hopes up. That is whay sammy banks on is people getting excited and buying their phones for gimmicky things that they wont use after a few weeks, but obviously people fall for it, to each their own though.
26. LionStone (Posts: 406; Member since: 10 Dec 2010)
Late market entry has nothing to do with lack of sales for HTC. Marketing has everything to do with Sammy sales.
3. datphoneguy (Posts: 91; Member since: 15 Sep 2013)
Good news for S5/Samsung fans.
Bad news for the likes of HTC, who are releasing their phone at least one month later.....
22. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5145; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
3 weeks on VZW? I will believe that when I can walk in to my local VZW store in late-March and purchase an S5.
24. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5145; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
More like I won't have to believe it. ;-)
4. Diego! (Posts: 448; Member since: 15 Jun 2009)
I have to give a lot of credit to Samsung. There's only 4 days left to the announcement and NOBODY leaked the final or almost final design of Galaxy S5. Bravo! Well done Sammy!
6. rns122112 (Posts: 5; Member since: 20 Jan 2014)
And they didn't leave it in a bar... TWICE!!!!!! Lol. Just saying... I'm not pointing fingers at any fruit named companies
8. _Bone_ (Posts: 1988; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
There's a lot of secrecy too, this time last year some ADD kid was jerking around with a lighting box, this year, not a single unpacked commercial.
I guess Samsung is saving all the mojo for the premium P series to come later, introducing a completely new line-up with a different build, look and real nex-gen specs (Exynos 6, SD805, possibly also first to use the ISOCELL camera).
Makes sense, at this moment when the S line is a bit tired - or anything called Galaxy - a name change could come refreshing and um... fruitful.
10. tech2 (Posts: 1111; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
I agree. It doesn't feel like Samsung's flagship unveiling event. No commercial, no design leaks. no nothing. Normally they do send out test units prior to release to tech sites such as PA or Verge. And they go about leaking few things here and there. But this year absolutely nothing.
Something isn't right here.
11. Diego! (Posts: 448; Member since: 15 Jun 2009)
Or maybe they are saving all of that for S5, and blow our socks off with it.
13. Astoni (Posts: 182; Member since: 28 Sep 2013)
Please keep the the Home button, Screen space is more worth than bezelless screen..
19. god996 (Posts: 4; Member since: 27 Oct 2013)
You know, Google introduced Immersive Mode that hides navigation and status bars for apps. And if that's not enough, you can always root your device and make the feature always on or enable Pie Controls.
20. Astoni (Posts: 182; Member since: 28 Sep 2013)
you know, i want you to tell me how i could do that sh*T on my Xperia z1 since the buttons sucks sh*t and only takes screenspace, and root it without disabeling my Camera...
21. williamdroid (Posts: 98; Member since: 19 Jan 2014)
I also greatly dislike OnScreen buttons.
Yeah, Immersive Mode hides them here and there but i still dont like them.
Its the reason i opted out for the G2. And if Sammy goes with OnScreen buttons then the Mote 3 will be my last Sammy purchase
32. williamdroid (Posts: 98; Member since: 19 Jan 2014)
Yep. Its jn between the Note 3 neo plus and the Note Mega Anvanced lmao
27. dratomic (Posts: 325; Member since: 09 Oct 2013)
yes i love those buttons. thats one of the main reasons i dont buy sony or others
15. UglyFrank (Posts: 108; Member since: 23 Jan 2014)
Without the 805 I have no interest in upgrading from the S4 yet
16. surethom (Posts: 144; Member since: 04 Mar 2009)
Roll on March so I can get rid of my stuttery slow Xperia S.
should come with modern, flat-style visuals??? From what I have seen the flat-style visuals are not modern but old fashioned Symbian style.
25. bugsbunny00 (Posts: 668; Member since: 07 Jun 2013)
if sammy go on screen buttons then its great.
31. zachattack (Posts: 301; Member since: 31 Jul 2013)
I'm looking for people to be not impressed by the S5 and for HTC and mainly Sony to steamroll Samsung lol
34. christophersalse (Posts: 69; Member since: 19 Jan 2014)
They certainly won't steamroll samsung in sales...
33. TechVoid (Posts: 9; Member since: 18 Feb 2014)
I'm not really excited for the S5 definitely the HTC M8 and LG G3 are going to be something nice for me HTC M8 looks FANTASTIC and sense 6 will be even better with the G3 im hoping for the same great hardware but hopefully LG improves on software and maybe make a google play edition. Not really looking forward to Z2 because of the 2 problems that annoy me screen, battery life (despite being big in MAH)
35. machello (Posts: 18; Member since: 03 May 2013)
Just buy an Iphone 5S. S5 just sucks like all samsung phones.
36. williamdroid (Posts: 98; Member since: 19 Jan 2014)
And who are you to tell me or anybody else how to spend our money?
Why even comment on an article about Samsung when you clearly dont like them? Lol
saying it sucks when you havent even used it in person because its not even announced yet?
Thats like me saying the iPhone 6 will suck.