Samsung Galaxy S III: disappointment, gimmicks, or good ideas?
1. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
Not bad device, but I'm a bit disappointed. :\
12. cheetah2k (Posts: 1521; Member since: 16 Jan 2011)
1. I thought it was going to be ceramic, not plastic.. meh
2. Quad core Exynos performance is similar to the One X Tegra 3, albeit clocked 100Mhz slower than the One X...
3. Pentile SAMOLED...
4. Similar chassis construction to the SGS2.
5. The brushed metal with gloss looks cheap.
6. No black version (blue and white.. meh)
7. Its huge. Would have rather had 4.3" and 1280x720 resolution
16. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
"1. I thought it was going to be ceramic, not plastic.. meh"
Samsung Galaxy S III back is Polycarbonate (thermoplastic polymer) the same as Nokia Lumia 900 and HTC One X.
21. Mario1017 (Posts: 336; Member since: 04 Sep 2011)
Difference between the two is that the Sammy is glossy, making it look very cheap. Another thing that makes it look cheap is the stupid chromed plastic casing. They should have made it metal like the EVO LTE
22. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
"Difference between the two is that the Sammy is glossy..."
It is called "Hyper Glaze” coating.
52. Phullofphil (Posts: 801; Member since: 10 Feb 2009)
You can polish a turd and call it any thing you want but it still looks like sh** and kinda cheep. It's weird to me that how awesom this phone is along with the fact Samsung is adopting a little bit of apples bis unless model from the iPhone and iPad but the outer casing is still not built with quality materials like what are in the iPhone. The other thing is plastic can be made to look les cheap that's where I am disappointed. Another thing I am worried about is my galaxy nexus seems to lack the quality in other hard ware parts such as speaker phone and radio for LTE and such. I really wish Samsung and Motorola would make a phone together. My other concern is for all android phones. What's with the micro USB being universal it's where's out. The walls on the inside of the plug and the connectors need to be made alot stronger mine keeps wearing out. I guess I am kind of on the fence on this phone. It's not that much better than my galaxy nexus too be exiteded. I really like it and might get it but the exenos chip is not as dominating as last years chip was. I think it could be from programs and maybe the bench mark deals us all of the cores in the quad core efficiently yet. Probaly not though bringing me back to maybe I will wait to see if Motorola has anything to offer in the next couple months befor the sg3 comes out on Verizon wich I hope Verizon don't get a special lamer model than the rest
90. Ivan6479 (Posts: 249; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
"the outer casing is still not built with quality materials like what are in the iPhone."
Listen to you. Lol The only thing on the iPhone that is a quality material is the metal frame around the phone. Try dropping an iPhone and see what happens. (It will most likely shatter.)
I have dropped my Galaxy S II numerous times (glass side down also) and I don't have any special case and all I have is a few minor scratches. If it were an iPhone I would be s--t out of luck!!
109. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
I don't express anything, I just say how it is called!
138. AndroidShiz (Posts: 154; Member since: 08 Nov 2011)
It's funny how the iPhone was plasticky before the i4, but it was top notch materials and everyone praised it. Now Samsung uses even better plasticky materials and they are considered cheap, even though it's much more durable than glass. Maybe the Apple Tv will be all glass with no plastic. Because plastic instantly just makes it cheap. Need to have all the plastic removed from my car too. Metal and glass is the way it should be. Probably would do much better in crash reports.
57. Mario1017 (Posts: 336; Member since: 04 Sep 2011)
I know what it's called, that is a very stupid name anyways lol, hyper glaze?? at least HTC used actual names and processes with micro arc oxidation.
Just like Phullofphil said, you can take a turd and polish it, still just a shiny turd.
The S3 looks even cheaper being glossy.
108. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
I don't express anything, I just say how it is called!
151. taz89 (Posts: 2014; Member since: 03 May 2011)
so if the gs3 plastic is ''turd'' then so it htc one x as they are both polycarbonate lol just one is matte and one is shiny..some people like shiny some dont...i find it funny that some htc one x owners and future buyers diss the s3 plastic not knowing that the htc uses the same
159. Mario1017 (Posts: 336; Member since: 04 Sep 2011)
i know they are both poly. but my argument was that making it shiny, makes it look even more like cheap plastic even tho it might not be. and a difference between the S3 and X is that the X is one solid piece of poly. the S3 is only poly on the back (then they "hyper glazed" it), has a cheap looking plastic chrome strip around the side, and the glass on the front doesn't look good at all, especially in blue.
169. taz89 (Posts: 2014; Member since: 03 May 2011)
the glass is gorilla glass 2 which is much stonger and scratch resistance than the old gorilla glass that is being on the one x..personally i would much rather have a removable battery...i see your point that shiny can make it look but hey some actually like shiny stuffs
201. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
"the glass is gorilla glass 2 which is much stonger"
Actually they are the same just 2 is thinner.
189. medicci37 (Posts: 1271; Member since: 19 Nov 2011)
PA is starting to get carried away with their hide comnent BS. Just because PhoneArenaUser's comment lost the popularity contest, doesn't mean it needs censoring.
38. ph00ny (Posts: 1193; Member since: 26 May 2011)
2. Quad core Exynos performance is similar to the One X Tegra 3, albeit clocked 100Mhz slower than the One X...
Are we looking at the same benchmarks?
Samsung didn't just use a better underlying hardware but they've also optimized the software (ie browser)
41. abhishek48 (Posts: 164; Member since: 19 Feb 2012)
"2. Quad core Exynos performance is similar to the One X Tegra 3, albeit clocked 100Mhz slower than the One X..."
Have u even see the benchmarks,
161k browserkmark, over 100k of one x, 103 fps glbenchmark over 60 of one x.
Right now this is the most powerfull device, but only for 3 months note 2 will take the crown.
pentile matrix is the only real problem
71. TimTebow (Posts: 70; Member since: 14 Feb 2012)
Have you seen antutu, cf-bench, quadrant, smartbench..... not that powerfull...
sunspider/browsermark are more browser dependent anyway.
2.5 ghz quad core Krait will probably rip Sammy's ass.
170. taz89 (Posts: 2014; Member since: 03 May 2011)
by then samsung will have there own a15 chips so that will be the real competition and not the current exynos 4
175. abhishek48 (Posts: 164; Member since: 19 Feb 2012)
Of course i have seen, it has 20% in all benchmarks... GLBENCHMARK 103 FPS(GS3) vs 60 FPS(Onex) . its the GPU which makes diference MALI 400, Its the gpu in ipad 3 due to which apple is jumping and selling.... so the gpu is way more powerfull here.. the cpu cores in SoC are same so its the integration optimizations which brings 20% more. and above all
1. we know the legendary browser of gs2, it runs flash as if its nothing and pinches and zooms at 80-100 fps.. simply the best browser on any mobile.. where htc sensation and evo 3d were laggy s**ts.. infact most droids browsers lag some whatwith heavy flash.... but gs2's browser was exception it has not been able to port it to other devies.. SO THE GS3'S BROWSER IS EVEN BETTER.
2. Laggy video recording in HTC onex just 23 fps when camera is moving.. s**t... no fix yet.
SO GS3 IS MOST POWERFULL MOBILE YET,
when quadcore krait will come with aderano 320..
EXONYS 5250 with mali t604.. 6 time the powe of mali 400 will smoke it... BIGTIME
198. BenCjamin (Posts: 80; Member since: 13 May 2011)
If it ever comes out. By that time Samsung will have a octa-core by the time qualcomm gets quad-core. lol
56. dallas90733 (Posts: 36; Member since: 06 Mar 2011)
I agree with everything you said!, except number 7. IMHO this is the ONLY thing ( Screen size) that might help it sale a lil better; but if you compare this to the HTC E4G LTE, well HTC is the better phone
59. CX3NT3_713 (Posts: 2256; Member since: 18 Apr 2011)
Why would you want a 4'3" screen??? Yuck
61. nnaatthhaannx2 (Posts: 820; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
1: Glad it's lightweight, but I actually care about build quaity and the weight being symetrical so it FEELs right when you hold it. I could care less about the actual material.
2. Who said that? I have a feeling that it easily surpasses it.
3. Agreed, but at least we got 720p....
4. Not too much wrong with that, keeps the iconic look
5. I (personally) could care less
6. Yeah, black ones usually are better.
7. 10000+% AGREED the bezel isn't that small, and a small bezel isn't good for cases sometimes, but 4.3-4.5 would of been the ideal range in screen size. Makes me mad that they went this big.
I am assuming they did this due to the success of the Note, but still, 4.8 is just too big, no matter the bezel.
85. akshaye.shenoi (Posts: 24; Member since: 16 Apr 2012)
Should've been glass.
Agreed it is fragile but GOD it looks sweet.
93. chriski333 (Posts: 22; Member since: 05 May 2012)
wow man u need to chill dont like it dont buy it i for one think it will be a great phone also this will be my first galaxy phone and im very excited for it
149. MEeee (Posts: 345; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
Bunch of crying babies. The design is nice and I'll buy it when it comes out. Move on with your life and if you don't like it, then go buy something else. Why bitching?
150. MEeee (Posts: 345; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
Samsung Galaxy S3 gallery
199. BenCjamin (Posts: 80; Member since: 13 May 2011)
I think i am going to buy from somebody else. No quadcore in US version? I'll be going with the Ion or the one X thank you very much.
176. tharag (Posts: 26; Member since: 07 Oct 2011)
just wait for 29th may sammy will do last min changes in s3 just like they did in s2 which tirned out to as major overhaul in performance comparing to launched s2 at mwc....also s3 was not optimized completely at the event it will be tuned before the release which will make all of us happy....
14. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
Talking abou technical expectations, my expectations wasn't high. Actually, I was expecting something similar. But at last I was hoping for better design, better screen (talking about PenTile Matrix) and no physical buttons.
53. FAW-Q (Posts: 63; Member since: 29 Jul 2011)
All Androids are disappointments! That's why you guys lust over a new device month after month!
58. CX3NT3_713 (Posts: 2256; Member since: 18 Apr 2011)
Go back to your iphone forums and complain how lame your iphone is..
68. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4274; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
We get new devices because Android is supposed to be for everyone. And in order for it to fulfill that, it needs variety. There's low-end, mid-range, and high-end; all depending on what you want. There are big screens, average screens, and small screens; depending on what's comfortable for you. Multiple manufacturers, all with different UI's that go over Android for more functionality and more benefit for the user. Don't like the UI? Install a custom ROM, and get a different one, because you can with Android. With Android, you can be you, and customize it to any way you want it to be, depending on what you want. Tired of the lag on your old Android device? Don't worry, there's a new one with a faster processor and more RAM just waiting for you to enjoy a lag-free experience with it. Want better build quality than that LG or Samsung made out of almost entirely plastic? There's HTC and Motorola with metal accents and ceramic treatments. It's a whole lot better than that iPhone of yours that you can only change the wallpaper on without voiding your warranty! Other than that, instead of the OS conforming to you, you are bending your preferences to it. It's so out of hand, Apple dared try and tell you that you're HOLDING it wrong, because they are so closed-minded and ignorant that they don't want to admit that there is something wrong with their creation. Sure, it works, but does it really work for you, or are you just so caught up in the hype that you're fooling yourself that it works for you? Have you even tried to use a respectable Android device for an extended period of time? How do you know that Android isn't better for you? You don't. Now, I respect iOS for what it is, I just don't like how it's portrayed by the company.
87. abdane (Posts: 494; Member since: 07 Oct 2011)
if androids are disappointments, then what is iPhone ? the 4S is the most disappointment device... EVER !!! no changes to it, only camera and cpu lol, siri can be ported to iPhone 4 and other iDevices :)
92. abdane (Posts: 494; Member since: 07 Oct 2011)
Humans, we want what we don't have, once we have it, we complain and want something else that we don't have cuz it might be better.
143. AndroidShiz (Posts: 154; Member since: 08 Nov 2011)
If only the masses said that when the iPhone 4s came out. But I guess they did. People still made it the top selling iPhone to date even tho the additions were incremental and just old school lame. People flocked to the 3GS for video capabilities that should have already been on the 1st iPhone.
179. ivanko34 (Posts: 617; Member since: 04 Sep 2011)
same for me.
this phone has no appeal
it is very ordinary
the look is ugly
2. MalakiMills (Posts: 257; Member since: 15 Jun 2010)
If there had been no hype I think it would be a pretty solid device, maybe not best of the year but close. The hype had everyone's expectations to high so the end result let people down.
54. Phullofphil (Posts: 801; Member since: 10 Feb 2009)
I know right... Last year when the sg2 was announced it seemed to smash expectations so this year people seemed to expect more.
100. chadrick0814 (Posts: 208; Member since: 23 Nov 2011)
This is clearly the best device out....and yet people complain.
3. sdfvsdf (Posts: 3; Member since: 04 May 2012)
I was really disappointed on the design and that it was using the same Gnexus screen but other than that it's an ok phone. It didn't blow my mind like the sgs 2 did but still a good upgrade to the galaxy line.
5. protozeloz (Posts: 5396; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
I think we are looking at phones that I've been wanting to see. The new (not the stupid S voice) real features are quite interesting. I feel phones have tons of sensors they barely use. Those sensors unlock true potential. I could see more and more sensors used to make the experience more pleasing and I could think of even better ideas (like place your phone in your ear to answer) I like the new lock screen gestures. Camera launching became much more interesting. Maybe we see more sensors helping us navigate through the device and a more sensor based UI. With big screens the less I need my hands the better
23. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
I couldnt agree more. Other than the well known horsepower improvements, the stand out feature to me is the "nature UI" and how they are trying to anticipate what your doing.
The BEST feature is the one you never think about because its always doing its job. Much like how Google Maps has integrated itself into everything. Smartphones would absolutely be 1/5th as smart as they are now without that heavy maps integration... its in everything, yet you never notice. This "nature UI" has the potential to be as good or better than that.. if done right.
152. taz89 (Posts: 2014; Member since: 03 May 2011)
mate help me understan something something,whats with dissapointements? everyone says this isnt a big jump as the s to the s2 but really its the same...also many obvious haters in the tech world say that the s2 was unique than other devices when announced but the that was not true as all phones then had the same spec as well...seriously some tech writers are either dumb or have a short memory...whats the difference between when the s2 was announced and the s3?hype and because of the hype people was always going to be dissapointed.
40. ph00ny (Posts: 1193; Member since: 26 May 2011)
Am i the only that thinks you guys smoked too much iphone4/4S smoke?
Galaxy S to Galaxy S2: Single Core A8 to Dual Core A9, 512MB to 1GB ram, Same resolution SAMOLED to SAMOLED+, 5MP to 8MP
Galaxy S2 to Galaxy S3: Dual Core A9 to Quad Core A9, WVGA to 720P HD resolution, BSI front cam and a new 8MP camera sensor that no one knows anything about and best of all, quality Audio DAC
7. TheCellX (Posts: 49; Member since: 08 Nov 2011)
Im not dissappointed at all. What i saw is what i was expecting, the best phone ever. You can not be dissapointed with that.
8. protozeloz (Posts: 5396; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
I was honestly hoping for on screen buttons and non penile. I could have made it more awesome. Camera will have to wait for review and processor performed quite well. And I dig the design. Now It looks nothing like an iPhone
9. Yeahman (Posts: 34; Member since: 13 Mar 2012)
The PenTile screen is the only real disappointment for me.
15. SleepingOz (unregistered)
I doubt you'd be able to notice the differences between pentile and non-pentile SuperAMOLED hd with over 300ppi.
33. cepcamba (Posts: 717; Member since: 27 Feb 2012)
Yes you can. With the conventional RGB matrix you wouldn't be able to see it, but with a pentile one you will. You'll see the long pixels if you look close.
It doesn't hurt though. And performance-wise it's faster.
65. LegedaryRelic (Posts: 10; Member since: 04 May 2012)
Over 300ppi, sure. But only 1/3 of those pixels are Red and Blue meaning the screen is missing about another 3rd of Red and Blue subpixels. Meaning it's effectively only 200ppi
154. taz89 (Posts: 2014; Member since: 03 May 2011)
i cant see pixels on my s2 unless i am up close to the screen but from normal distant you cant see pixels...if the note screen is anything to go buy then i know i will have no issues with this screen as the note was 5.3'' with a pentile screen and 280ppi and i sidnt see know pixels unless i was like an inch a way drom the screen so considering this is 4.8'' am sure it will be just fine...yes plus would have been awesome but am noy going to cry about it also not all pentiles are equal
10. akita256 (Posts: 80; Member since: 26 Jan 2012)
Reminds me of the same reaction that lots of people had when the iPhone 4S came out as well as when the new iPad came out. A bit of a let down because the expectations were so high.