Report: HTC will produce plastic version of the HTC One (M8)
According to the report, the only physical difference between the two versions of the new HTC One (M8), will be the material used on the casing. As far as the pricing between the two, there is a huge difference. The metal-clad HTC One (M8) is priced at 5299 Yuan ($853 USD), while the report says that the plastic variant will list for 3000 Yuan ($483 USD). HTC reportedly sees the plastic version of the M8 as "being the same phone, but of different quality".
In the unlikely event that this does pan out, the plastic version of the HTC One (M8) could have distribution limited to Asia and other regions where carrier subsidies are not prevalent. By offering a lower priced plastic version of the HTC One (M8), HTC could then undercut the pricing of the Samsung Galaxy S5 in those areas.
Thanks for the tip!
source: TMTPost (translated) via GforGames
1. Neo_Huang (Posts: 1067; Member since: 06 Dec 2013)
5299 Yuan is f*cking exspensive in a country where you can get equal specs for half as much.
8. lllIIIlllIIl (banned) (Posts: 48; Member since: 11 Apr 2014)
People don't give a sh*t what they can get better for how much cheaper. HTC and Apple for example, are doing it right. Their phones suit the customers desires, and those are the customers who will buy. People like you aren't their customers, so there isn't a problem here.
17. Doakie (Posts: 1733; Member since: 06 May 2009)
HTC barely sold any M7s last year so your product strategy sucks. Plus you're a jerk btw. People should be smarter with their money especially us Americans. So many of us live a lifestyle of debt and living paycheck to paycheck because we borrow ourselves into poverty. Just because being stupid with our money is normal doesn't mean that's the norm all over the world. There are plenty of money smart people in the world. You're not one of them.
I would actually buy a plastic M8 over the aluminum one because my M7 got a pit in the aluminum from a piece of dirt getting under my Seidio Surface case. I have zero love for aluminum phones.
32. Finalflash (Posts: 2354; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
You have to understand though, there are a lot of mindlessly rich people (due largely to someone else like their parents' hard work) and those people don't care. Catering to those people usually makes you very rich and for little to no effort, so if HTC wants to make money, they might have to go the Apple route as he suggested.
53. shayan (Posts: 159; Member since: 09 Sep 2010)
well that was a stupid comment! people don't give a sh*t what they can get better for how much cheaper?! so I guess advertisements and price wars aren't real?
54. lllIIIlllIIl (banned) (Posts: 48; Member since: 11 Apr 2014)
You are not understanding the context of my comment. Please call back and try again later.
15. akki20892 (Posts: 3817; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
Same specs is awesome under $500. Bring it HTC.
37. AppleHateBoy (unregistered)
I really really hope that HTC finds another place to decorate its HTC logo (which currently resides below the screen on the metal M8). The phone could really use losing some height. Additionaly, throwing the power button on the sides would help too.
39. AppleHateBoy (unregistered)
Just in case someone comes along and starts shouting, "They have electronics behind the logo!! Blah blah blah!!". HTC managed to fit the speakers AND the proximity AND ambient light sensor AND the 5 MP camera above the screen in less space than they managed to put just the speakers below the screen. Getting rid of the HTC logo bar is perfectly possible, especially in a plastic phone because they don't have to worry about "Where do we put the antennas?!".
3. aayupanday (Posts: 566; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
Expecting it to be of the same plastic quality as the 2012 HTC One X.
10. AfterShock (Posts: 3698; Member since: 02 Nov 2012)
That was a solid phone, imo.
I've two Ina drawer that still look perfect.
29. AfterShock (Posts: 3698; Member since: 02 Nov 2012)
I can't bring myself to do that honestly.
They get pulled out and update about one a month now, one black, one white.
The screens were the first to use in cell tech on a HTC, and it shows imo.
Love the curved edges.
4. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3528; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
lol why? The appearance is the biggest selling point for the M8...
16. Martin_Cooper (Posts: 1215; Member since: 30 Jul 2013)
I dont think so, the ugly cheap looking S5 is selling like crazy.
19. Doakie (Posts: 1733; Member since: 06 May 2009)
Hmmmm. I don't think the GS5 is ugly or cheap looking. I guess we all have different standards..... Phone Arenas own review seem to say that they liked the look. I think you're in the "vocal minority" buddy.
33. Finalflash (Posts: 2354; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
Well it is somewhat ugly, because that dimpled back is ridiculous? Personally I liked how the Nexus 5 looked and they could have gone with that kind of a back on the S5 and it would have looked great. The S4 denim-y look was SO BAD imho and the S3 brushed aluminium style looked better than both S4 and S5 (but it's overall curves made it look bad).
44. izim1 (Posts: 90; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
You can't think for yourself? Who cares what phonearena reviews say? Why bother bringing up someone else's opinion to try and make a point? You need phonearena to think for you?
20. hurrycanger (Posts: 1537; Member since: 01 Dec 2013)
Well, it's not the plastic that pushes it sale. Have you ever seen anybody saying "Hell yeah, it's made of cheap plastic. We just get this thing!" ???
Nope. But there are people buying the HTC One because its casing is made of aluminum.
But back to the "ugly" part, I wouldn't call the S5 ugly. I saw the white one and really like it.
28. hurrycanger (Posts: 1537; Member since: 01 Dec 2013)
* It was supposed to be "We must get this thing!" instead of "just"
26. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
true what an ugly phone like the previous S3
45. Astoni (Posts: 630; Member since: 28 Sep 2013)
My older S3 is sexy as F*ck with its stainless steel back ;)
51. The-Sailor-Man (banned) (Posts: 1095; Member since: 25 Mar 2014)
This is the same type i"Rumors" propaganda ONLY FOR BASHING the great S5.
First was i"Rumors" about "premium ALUMINUM" S5 for higher price.(read: the S5 is not premium because is not made from ALUMINUM) lol
Now , it is i"Rumors" about same N8 made of plastic at half price(read: the S5 is overprised much more than the tin-can M8 POS, because is not made from ALUMINUM)
iSmatrA...es never rest!!!!!!!
5. tenho1982 (Posts: 68; Member since: 29 Dec 2013)
"The metal-clad HTC One (M8) is priced at 5299 Yuan ($853 USD), while the report says that the plastic variant will list for 3000 Yuan ($483 USD)"
=> This is crazy if HTC wants to give an impression that the steel body costs $400 lol. An idiot knows the total price of making such a flagship (including CPU, RAM, disk space, all the antenna and other stuff) is only about $200. The same cost applied for the iphone and the Galaxy S series.
11. akki20892 (Posts: 3817; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
I check on eBay. HTC one m8 price start $670
21. Doakie (Posts: 1733; Member since: 06 May 2009)
Maybe this is proof that their making a product that just simply costs too much to produce and that's why they're in the red every quarter. Sounds like they need to go back to soft touch polycarbonate.....
6. mr.techdude (Posts: 569; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
Lmaoooooo "back up the salt truck" kudos PA for making me laugh, seriously who ever didn't laugh or smerk to that deserves to get punched to their nowhere.
7. GreekGeek (Posts: 1128; Member since: 22 Mar 2014)
Yeah, and change the lousy camera as well, how bout a regular 8-13 MP camera with no fancy mumbo jumbo?
12. CanYouSeeTheLight (Posts: 1101; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
Actually there is a strong chance they change the camera to a 13 MP unit like on the Desire 816.
23. Doakie (Posts: 1733; Member since: 06 May 2009)
I WOULD BUY THAT! The graininess of the 4 Ultrapixel camera is the reason I'm not buying a M8. I would be selling my Note 3 right now if they packaged along a 8 Ultrapixel camera.
25. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
with 8 or 12 ultrapixel with xneon flash and bigger sensor 2.7 aprts
40. AppleHateBoy (unregistered)
Why not a 41 MP ultra pixel camera with 2.0 micron pixel size and f1.9 lens??? If you are gonna ask for the impossible, you might as well go all out.
9. pwnarena (Posts: 1089; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
now that's what you call "the irony of it all"
13. Technobri (Posts: 84; Member since: 10 Dec 2012)
The black galaxy s5 sold more than the white.. I happend to get the last black one.. Plastic or not.. It really doesn't matter.. Especially when they have some really nice cases
14. fzacek (Posts: 2483; Member since: 26 Jan 2014)
It would be pretty retarded of HTC to do this. Unlikely...
22. hurrycanger (Posts: 1537; Member since: 01 Dec 2013)
"being the same phone, but of different quality".
I wonder what kind of quality this one is gonna have. What are they gonna cut out of the device to bring the price down so much like said in the article? -__-
24. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
why not a DELUXE EDITION, with/
stainless steel 18.8
plastic version, please for GOD sake cheap plastic.......
30. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
NO they wont, look at VERTU phones, my NOKIA ARTE8800 phones weighs at 170grams and thats half the size of s4 s3 m7
there are millions of users who would love these specs
look at iphones, a subpar midrange phone with a very high price to pay, people want to pose show off look trendy
even at 240grms its still piece of quality jewel, really nicely goes with
LOUIS VUITTON BELTS
38. AppleHateBoy (unregistered)
They already find the aluminum clad M8 hard to sell. Making a Titanium/Stainless Steel XYZ etc M8 would be suicidal at best.
35. jellmoo (Posts: 1017; Member since: 31 Oct 2011)
Beauty is pretty subjective. For example, the nicest looking devices to me are several handsets in the Lumia line, all made of plastic. Plastic does not have to mean ugly, far from it.
The biggest issue I have with the M8 is the on screen buttons coupled with that massive bottom bezel. Eliminate that with either a return to capacitive buttons or a removal of that ridiculous black bar, and I would be interested. Plastic or aluminum.
36. GoBears (Posts: 437; Member since: 27 Apr 2012)
Plastic M8 with an 8MP+ camera? I'd buy it. I personally do not like metal phones so that would be cool if HTC tries to offer something to everyone. If they keep bleeding red ink they are going the way of the do-do.
43. Taters (Posts: 5871; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
I am far from an HTC fan but this is a good marketing move. Make it seem like plastic phones are worth a lot less than metal phones but when in reality the price of parts and manufacturing are probably almost the same.
46. Slammer (Posts: 1497; Member since: 03 Jun 2010)
Since removable batteries are a prerequisite for me, my complaints to HTC were to reinstate the option. It is the only way I will return to HTC. In speaking with several of the HTC reps, I feel that my opinion was not taken with a grain of salt. HTC seemed receptive in understanding why Samsung is doing so well. It is my hope that HTC will implement a supplemental offering for those that seek refuge in this type of consumer control. My wife is not very technical, but she loves knowing that she can replace her own battery.
Keeping our fingers crossed for this alternate offering.
48. networkdood (Posts: 6330; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
My Coolpad 9976A was around 400.00 U.S. dollars, so, no thanks....
49. Killua (Posts: 270; Member since: 25 Nov 2013)
Oh no, then they need to change the training doc now.
50. garyII (Posts: 160; Member since: 26 Feb 2014)
oh wait, let's hope that htc produce a M8 with plaster design...haha, i can't imagine it...
52. The-Sailor-Man (banned) (Posts: 1095; Member since: 25 Mar 2014)
iSmatrA...'s propaganda never rest:
First was i"Rumors" about "premium ALUMINUM" S5 for higher price.(read: the great S5 is not premium because is not made from ALUMINUM) lol
Now , it is i"Rumors" about same N8 made of plastic at half price(read: the great S5 is overprised much more than the tin-can M8 POS, because is not made from ALUMINUM)
Dirty , helpless , pathetic iTricks.
55. galanoth (Posts: 407; Member since: 26 Nov 2011)
HTC shouldn't do this.
They were saying metal>plastic.
Now plastic is okay too?
56. frydaexiii (Posts: 1419; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
lol, so take away the ONLY selling point of the M8?