Microsoft says app downloads have doubled, dev revenue up 140% since Windows Phone 8 launch
3. freebee269 (Posts: 486; Member since: 10 Aug 2012)
"Of course, we always have to keep in mind when Microsoft uses this type of comparison that increases like that may not really add up to such big numbers. It's always easier to double app downloads when there aren't all that many to begin with. "
would be nice to read an article on phonearena that just brought the news without the author adding something to the news to try to discredit the news. and we as readers are supposed to believe that phonearena has no agenda? comical.
13. MichaelHeller (Posts: 2604; Member since: 26 May 2011)
It's not meant to discredit anything, it's just a matter of perspective. If Android or iOS announced that app downloads had increased by 25%, that's quite a bit more than WP announcing 100% increase.
Everyone uses this sort of "vague comparison" and it's something that readers need to be wary of. Apple's CPUs are always "twice as fast" but it isn't twice as fast as the competition, and it may not even be twice as fast as the previous model. You always need to know what you're comparing against.
Windows Phone is on its way up, but we can't claim that these are huge gains.
16. Penny (Posts: 951; Member since: 04 Feb 2011)
Michael, while I and probably most of your readers here understand that large percentages don't always translate into equally impressive numerical quantities, the point remains that the percentage increase is a better representation of the trend. Numerical quantities might be more appropriate if one were comparing the app downloads with other platforms, but in this situation, we are examining growth within only one platform. It follows that the percentage growth is actually more appropriate here, and not just more vague.
18. MichaelHeller (Posts: 2604; Member since: 26 May 2011)
I understand what you're saying. I'm not saying that using percentage growth stats isn't appropriate. I'm just saying that any comparison needs to be clear what you're comparing against.
This kind of stat given here definitely shows a solid upward trend with WP, and shows that it is a viable platform for developers, but I wouldn't want to imply that it means much more than that.
20. MichaelHeller (Posts: 2604; Member since: 26 May 2011)
Either way, I've edited the article to be a little clearer.
21. Penny (Posts: 951; Member since: 04 Feb 2011)
Please don't get me wrong; my intent was not to be critical of you. I fully agree that solid growth rate doesn't imply it is anywhere near the other platforms, which I'm sure was your concern with the statistic. I was simply trying to express the point that different statistical tools are appropriate for different situations, and in this case percentage makes sense. Please don't let my opinions cause you to make edits to your always thoughtful writing.
23. MichaelHeller (Posts: 2604; Member since: 26 May 2011)
No worries. I like having actual conversations with readers. It helps me get better. The article is definitely better now than when I first wrote it.
26. freebee269 (Posts: 486; Member since: 10 Aug 2012)
Your rephrase of the article leaves a better impression of what you are trying to say vs. You're original draft that seemed like you were trying to add negative news to the article while you were giving some good news. Your rephrase of what you're saying i can respect more. Thank you.
4. dr_fajardo12 (Posts: 107; Member since: 26 Aug 2012)
Michael wrote fine this articule: "there's no reason to believe this platform is going anywhere but up."
6. dan86 (Posts: 298; Member since: 17 Mar 2012)
Dear Microsoft its not a big achievement to throw a party! Never celebrate too early still the apps are poor in your store!
7. best_ (Posts: 50; Member since: 08 Apr 2013)
go to write on microsoft store your opinion .. here is Phonearena !!!
22. sparkybarky (Posts: 3; Member since: 03 May 2013)
What i dont like on my wp8 is that im forced to IE and bing :(
27. shreyas.s666 (Posts: 80; Member since: 24 Aug 2012)
You really don't have one.if you really had wp mobile u would know u have some thing called UC BROWSER and u cange google as default search engine
12. xperiaDROID (Posts: 4666; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Is it just me or there's really something wrong with this article?
17. TheBitterTruth (unregistered)
Its PA. Moreover its about Nokia and MP (not about samsung and apple). You should got it.
19. MichaelHeller (Posts: 2604; Member since: 26 May 2011)
Could you be more specific, please?
25. xperiaDROID (Posts: 4666; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
"Something wrong with this article", my meaning is the same as the comment #3, but you've already explained it, so never mind, sorry about that! :)
24. xperiaDROID (Posts: 4666; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
(Ignore this comment, this is a mistake)
29. xprimer (Posts: 43; Member since: 25 Jan 2013)
and i love it. Support legal apps. . .we are helping people. . .