Leaked screenshots reveal a possible upcoming huge Android redesign
Before diving deeper in the details, though, let’s say that this rumor gets a 70% confidence level by the source publication, since it’s not backed up by any system-level logs, and because it’s not clear how far Google is in the design process (which means Google might still change these icons a lot from what you see in the screenshots below).
With this in mind, it’s clear that we’re looking at a fairly massive overhaul to the looks of Google’s operating system. Inside the company, this new Android style is allegedly referred to as ‘Moonshine’. Its key characteristics include the long hard shadows of icons and the generally more contrasted colors used throughout. As we already mentioned, it’s similar but not identical to the web icons. This discrepancy looks a bit strange, and it’s only logical to wonder whether it won’t entail a redesign in Google’s web design identity as well. Only time can tell. What seems clearer at the moment is that such a massive overhaul could - if it’s indeed true - bring changes to Android’s design guidelines, replacing the current square icon requirements as well.
Right below, you’d see a breakdown of the new icons for: Play Music, Books, Movies, and Games, alongside Google+, Calendar, People, Chrome, YouTube, Maps, Gmail, Hangouts, Camera, and the Play Store apps. How do you like this possible new identity for Android?
Leaked screenshots reveal a possible upcoming huge Android redesign
1. NotAGeek (Posts: 125; Member since: 26 Jan 2014)
Kinda reminds me to the mianogen icon pack...
28. rihel_95 (Posts: 211; Member since: 21 Mar 2012)
Maps and Play Store looks ugly, in my opinion.
30. latido (Posts: 33; Member since: 31 May 2012)
If true,then google icon more uglier than before.. see the middle one. I think it much better.
34. cheetah2k (Posts: 772; Member since: 16 Jan 2011)
Need animated icons.... They were promised back in the Gingerbread days..
4. WillieFDiaz (Posts: 40; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Google was going to a flat design long ago, not all of it moved instantly or directly, its still a process, but it started long before Apple did it if that is what you're implying.
9. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3077; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
The current icons are already great. Lucky there are icon packs and nova launchers.
10. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3077; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
This one is far uglier than current one. Right.
5. tech2 (Posts: 1897; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
How is that design flat ? Infact they are using shadows to the icons which is make it look almost opposite to flat.
3. WillieFDiaz (Posts: 40; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Kinda like the web versions more than the Android versions but if Google wants to change them to newer versions, I am okay with these ones.
25. shuaibhere (Posts: 1300; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
I think google is goin to merge android with chrome OS...
Recent leaks showed that chrome apps are coming to android...and sundar pichai being the chrome head also makes sense....
6. Anshulonweb (Posts: 302; Member since: 07 Feb 2014)
come on Google give us android 5..... it seems like we are on android 4 from long time..... and by Android 5 I mean something new like ice cream sandwich was to gingerbread....
7. AliNSiddiqui (Posts: 357; Member since: 19 Sep 2012)
I like the changes. Here's hoping the changes provide a more consistent look throughout the UI.
11. number29 (Posts: 185; Member since: 25 Jan 2013)
When is Google gonna give us icons that are a universal size and shape? I truley hate the mix of different shaped and sized icons. Come on Google, get with the times please!
19. alrightihatepickingusernames (Posts: 329; Member since: 29 Dec 2013)
Then go to iOS or buy an icon pack. I hate the uniformity of iOS icons.
13. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3077; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
I would like to know the defination of flat design PA coz this one is by no means flat.
24. shuaibhere (Posts: 1300; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
Yeah!! That is what I was thinking..
How in the earth this is flat??
40. NoFanboy (Posts: 210; Member since: 18 Nov 2013)
Compared to the current icons they look really flat.
15. garyII (Posts: 160; Member since: 26 Feb 2014)
i cant accept that, clearly seen the pixel !
16. Karriope (Posts: 95; Member since: 07 Jun 2013)
Remember how the late 90s thought bevels were the coolest? Those were the days...
Given the name Android I'd still prefer a more futurotouch but this is fine.
17. Loubielou (Posts: 205; Member since: 11 Jul 2012)
On Play Store you pick any icons you want to use on your Smartphone,as i use Stamped Black,an if you download icon Changer you can Chose the icon you want to Use on the Applications you have on Your Smartphone,as the ones you have on the Applications can be Either To Big or to Colourful on your phone
29. Cicero (Posts: 270; Member since: 22 Jan 2014)
The beauty of android. You can choose what you like!
20. zachattack (Posts: 543; Member since: 31 Jul 2013)
So everyone wants to be like HTC, isn't that funny
21. alrightihatepickingusernames (Posts: 329; Member since: 29 Dec 2013)
I don't hate it but the current icons really don't need to be changed. I change my wallpaper and launcher settings almost daily but I pretty much never use an icon pack.
22. DrSchlotkin (Posts: 6; Member since: 17 Apr 2013)
Since when does a new icon pack constitue a "huge Android redesign"? To me, a redesign is when something performs fundamentally differently than the previous version. Could Android use a more consistent design language, sure. But, I still wouldn't call visual unification a "redesign".
23. chocowii (Posts: 327; Member since: 30 Jan 2014)
How to get that Photos app? Im already on 4.4.2 stock kitkat.
26. surethom (Posts: 232; Member since: 04 Mar 2009)
The flat design are awful stick with current design please.
27. jellmoo (Posts: 651; Member since: 31 Oct 2011)
Well, they aren't flat for one...
That being said, it would be an improvement for me. My preference is to have my icons all be of the same shape, rather than each icon being different like the current stock.
Truth be told though, I doubt that Google would implement anything that would keep me from using a third party icon pack.
31. networkdood (Posts: 6261; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
Icons? Icons! Lol...meaningless...there are a ton of icons one can download onto an Android phone to change its look...
32. Astoni (Posts: 440; Member since: 28 Sep 2013)
Looks more appleish Imo :p, but i like the shadows. I tend to enjoy the small details alot more than just flat texture without anything.
33. RandomUsername (Posts: 425; Member since: 29 Oct 2013)
Massive overhaul? They just changed the icons, big f***in' deal...
36. hmd74 (Posts: 286; Member since: 31 Jan 2013)
bring it on Google...
i want these after Google I/O
39. NoFanboy (Posts: 210; Member since: 18 Nov 2013)
They look horrible. C'mon Google resist the flat trend
41. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5559; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
eh... i have mixed feelings about these.
they're going in the right direction making them look flatter with more elongated shadowing but the execution looks bad.
42. Leonis (Posts: 334; Member since: 08 Jan 2014)
So google wants android to look like a kid phone? I will change icon pack extremely fast if I ever go stock android. What a joke.
43. Elfmonster (Posts: 42; Member since: 23 Dec 2013)
Fugly. Please Android leave my icons as they are Thanks.
44. ThePython (Posts: 223; Member since: 08 May 2013)
Ugh enough with the retarded flat design crap.
45. bob_monkeywarts (Posts: 63; Member since: 14 Apr 2014)
I think it looks ok... Google needs to do something about the big fat ugly white square behind all the Google Apps. Other than that it looks great.
47. begoss (Posts: 1; Member since: 30 Apr 2014)
We recently published an icon pack containing only the leaked 'Moonshine' icons on Google Play if anyone is interested. The name is "Moonshine - Icon Pack" -- goo.gl/Sp3THU
Also, I make much of my vector source artwork available for free to the Android developer community, links and info can be found on my Google+ page -- plus(.)Google(.)com "slash" +BrianGoss
48. Samir_Maric (Posts: 69; Member since: 28 Oct 2012)
This screenshot may be taken with Nexus 8 and may be running android 5.0.....