Is this the Samsung Galaxy S5 Google Play Edition?
This alleged Galaxy S5 Google Play Edition appears to be of the golden variety, but this doesn’t mean we shouldn’t expect to see the handset in other color versions (like black, white, or blue - the ones that we’re familiar with from the regular S5).
Specs-wise, the Samsung Galaxy S5 Google Play Edition is (probably) not different from the S5 that’s already available to buy around the world. The big difference is that the GPE variant will be sold unlocked (likely for more than $600), being devoid of Samsung’s TouchWiz, and offering a stock Android experience - like all the other Google Play Edition devices.
There is no word on when the Samsung Galaxy S5 Google Play Edition is supposed to be released, but we’ll be here to let you know when it happens.
1. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
There's no diffrence to the S5.
2. PowTheBowl (Posts: 82; Member since: 19 Apr 2012)
Google logo looks too small for a boot animation tbh
3. fzacek (Posts: 2086; Member since: 26 Jan 2014)
This phone is going to be sweet. Stock Android FTW!
5. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
But it has no feautres
It's like driving a BMW 7series with 3series specs
7. fzacek (Posts: 2086; Member since: 26 Jan 2014)
Like what exactly? I'm happy with the little amount of non-gimmicky features on my Nexus 5...
8. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
That's cool, just pointing out the indifferences.
11. chocowii (Posts: 327; Member since: 30 Jan 2014)
+1 for that.
Thats what Nexus and GPE is all about. Plain vanilla experience.
Wait, is there a fingerprint scanner and pulse monitor still attached to it?
12. fzacek (Posts: 2086; Member since: 26 Jan 2014)
Those will still work. Google implemented the Duo Camera on the HTC One M8 into the Google Play Edition, so they can do that with the S5's features too. No problem...
18. SotoXP (Posts: 1; Member since: 26 Jun 2014)
lol you sir, are a complete moron. You could of said a BMW M5 with bald tires on the rain.
4. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5633; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
i'm sure there probably will be one but all i see here is an S5 with a Google boot animation...
10. HASHTAG (Posts: 179; Member since: 31 Jan 2014)
Or it could simply be a rooted S5. After owning a Nexus 5, though it's nice to get updates in a timely manner stock Android doesn't excite me.
14. SuperAndroid507 (Posts: 38; Member since: 06 Jan 2014)
Get a white google logo, add a little photshoppy put in on fullscreen, voila! you get your minute of fame!
17. skymitch89 (Posts: 1097; Member since: 05 Nov 2010)
It's probably just a "regular" version of the S5, but with a stripped down version Android installed by someone at XDA.