HTC EVO 3D takes a bullet for its owner and saves his life
With all of the things that the average smartphone can do, one thing that you do not expect from your handset is for it to take a bullet for you and save your life. But that is exactly what happened to an unnamed Hess clerk in Winter Garden, Florida. The man's HTC EVO 3D took the brunt of a gunshot fired by a robber who fired a revolver at the clerk. The robber went into the gas station and forced two clerks to try to open the safe. When neither could, the intruder left, but not before firing off a round at one of the men. Luckily, the bullet was intercepted by the phone and the clerk never knew he was shot until he fished his HTC EVO 3D out of his pocket.
The shooter remained at large as of Monday afternoon. While the clerk suffered minor injuries, the HTC EVO 3D pretty much bought the farm.
HTC EVO 3D saves its owner's life Fullscreen
More popular slideshows
iOS 7 release date and time are today (Sep 18), get ready to update!
18 Sep 2013, 04:00
Cyber Monday 2013 deals on phones, tablets and other electronics
01 Dec 2013, 10:55
Samsung Galaxy S5 rumor round-up: release date, price and specs
03 Dec 2013, 05:54
How to take better photos with your Samsung Galaxy Note 3
05 Dec 2013, 03:02
Android 4.4 KitKat update: release date, features and rumors
31 Oct 2013, 02:31
PhoneArena Awards 2013: Best cameraphones
03 Dec 2013, 11:01
HTC EVO 3D saves its owner's life
1. HTC EVO 3D takes a bullet, saves a life
1. Beijendorf (Posts: 108; Member since: 27 Aug 2013)
These HTC ad campaigns are getting more and more odd.
37. RaKithAPeiRiZ (Posts: 1118; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
looks like HTC's investment on ironman has payed off
2. Topcat488 (Posts: 783; Member since: 29 Sep 2012)
Good going HTC EVO... I hope they catch the robber!
3. mr.techdude (Posts: 261; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
This is not the first time even the first htc evo taken a bullet to save its owner
4. darkskoliro (Posts: 739; Member since: 07 May 2012)
....wut. I kinda feel like thin phones aren't really the way to go anymore...LOL
6. Eclectech (Posts: 23; Member since: 01 May 2013)
a testament to the build quality of HTC. Had that been any of the Samsung Galaxy phones (aside of the GS4 Active), the bullet would've gone right thru the phone.
13. alterecho (Posts: 464; Member since: 23 Feb 2012)
Heck, it would have accelerated the bullet due to its glossy finish plastic!
If it had been a Nokia, on the other hand, the bullet would have richocheted back at the robber.
Jokes aside (that thing about Nokia was not a joke, though), quite a good show by that phone. It saved his life!
17. reckless562 (Posts: 173; Member since: 09 Sep 2013)
had it been a crappIe product, it would have caused shrapnell and killed the poor isheep
29. microsoftnokiawin (Posts: 650; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
they explode when you try to make call while charging imagine coming into contact with a bullet lol
30. silencer271 (Posts: 109; Member since: 05 Apr 2013)
so you think. Put an gs3 near your heart and lets test out your theory. If your right one idiot dead if you are wrong you shut up either way I only see pluses.
7. Fuego84 (Posts: 213; Member since: 13 May 2012)
Cool If I was the owner of the HTC Evo 3D I would throw a party in remembrance and appreciation for the HTC Evo 3D that bit the bullet.
18. reckless562 (Posts: 173; Member since: 09 Sep 2013)
for reals, make him a spokesman 4 htc, like Jared from subway!!
8. D.Aceveda (Posts: 301; Member since: 30 Jun 2012)
HTC should use this to their advantage. Total PR win. And while they are at it they should replace that phone with a EVO 4G LTE or a ONE. Which ever the man prefers
19. reckless562 (Posts: 173; Member since: 09 Sep 2013)
im thinkin a 4G LTE as its got a better camera. i mean he did buy a camera centric phone with a 3D camera.
9. GeekMovement (Posts: 1120; Member since: 09 Sep 2011)
where did he put this htc evo 3d? shirt pocket?
16. GeekMovement (Posts: 1120; Member since: 09 Sep 2011)
I should start wearing shirts with pockets and keep my phone tucked away there.
20. reckless562 (Posts: 173; Member since: 09 Sep 2013)
right? they always fall out of shirt pockets as the phones are usually too heavy
12. Wiki_jaan (Posts: 625; Member since: 24 Jun 2012)
Army shud start wearing htc evo made jackets instead of bullit proff jackets
21. reckless562 (Posts: 173; Member since: 09 Sep 2013)
Steeewwwpiiidd!!!!!....... but fun, plus 1 for u !!!
14. Stoli89 (Posts: 333; Member since: 28 Jun 2010)
He's lucky he pulled the phone out when he did because that LiPo battery was ready to burst from the bullet damage.
22. Sniggly (Posts: 6197; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
What's hilarious is that this isn't the first time an HTC phone has saved a life. Last time it was a valet at a nightclub who was shot at by angry patrons who were just kicked out.
23. kozza3 (Posts: 524; Member since: 17 Oct 2012)
Looks like the area where the logic board is was unaffected, totally fixable.all this phone would need it's a new frame LCD digitizer battery and maybe a couple other small things, oh yea baby HTC build quality all the way!
24. Sniggly (Posts: 6197; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
So in other words, half the damn phone? :P
26. TomTheNerd (Posts: 57; Member since: 11 Oct 2013)
Is this basically what LG did with the G Flex?
27. ghanemsam (Posts: 50; Member since: 21 Nov 2012)
thats why HTC is the best, best Build Quality out there
31. mafflambo (Posts: 16; Member since: 18 Aug 2013)
im wondering if my lg g2 would do the same for me.....
32. AfterShock (Posts: 521; Member since: 02 Nov 2012)
Build quality, 1 reason I Was, an HTC supporter for a long time.
Beautiful kingdom, idiot king.
33. newbey123 (Posts: 92; Member since: 19 Mar 2012)
Awesome HTC, can't do that with crap plastic.
36. ECPirate37 (Posts: 68; Member since: 14 Jul 2011)
I guess this is just one more reason why I won't get rid of me EVO 3D! I LOVE this phone! And now I can literally say it is a lifesaver! I DO wish they would make a 3D update. I know people said it was a "fad", but I think it just had a horrible marketing message. I can pull out my phone at anywhere and show people the 3D pictures and they think it is awesome. They ask, "Is this new? Where can I get it?" This phone was sunk by their horrible marketing.
But, even if it wasn't 3D, wouldn't this design be awesome for the next "One". Keep the same size speaker at the top, add the same one at the bottom, and the rest is all screen with minimal bezzle. That would be a sexy phone!
38. Phonecall01 (Posts: 88; Member since: 02 Apr 2009)
EVO line... Fighting crime since 2010... lol
39. DONUT (Posts: 137; Member since: 27 Jun 2013)
reasons why phones should be thicker and not thinner: -insert article here-
40. kselrod (Posts: 1; Member since: 30 Oct 2013)
Well now Apple will sue HTC claiming they have the patent on bullet proof phones...lol.
41. Rager722 (Posts: 55; Member since: 30 Jan 2013)
Precisely the more reason to love my HTC ONE and the metal unibody, No cheap plastic here *cough Samsung cough*