Gmail becomes the first Android app with 1 billion installs
1. av911 (Posts: 190; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
The first thing I do after installing a new ROM is remove that app.
5. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3689; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
Huh i doubt, then why do you use android.
11. 0xFFFF (Posts: 3806; Member since: 16 Apr 2014)
When I can root, I remove all the Google apps, including Gmail, Google Play, etc. I don't want their spyware running on my phone 24x7. For email I use K-9 which is open source. For apps, I sideload.
You get better battery life and the system is more responsive. Heck, even the pen latency is lower without all the Google spyware running all the time.
To me, part of the "beauty of Android" is being able to have a lean responsive system that is running only what I want it to, when I want it to.
12. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3689; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
you uninstall google play. Disgrace.
14. 0xFFFF (Posts: 3806; Member since: 16 Apr 2014)
"you have to understand, most of these people are not ready to be unplugged. And many of them are so inert, so hopelessly dependent on the system that they will fight to protect it." :)
20. DEATHSTROKE9 (Posts: 399; Member since: 09 Nov 2013)
0xFFF, you have failed the android community by uninstalling google play. You must now spend the rest of your life in exile with a Nokia X.
22. 0xFFFF (Posts: 3806; Member since: 16 Apr 2014)
LMAO... the penalty for getting out of the G-Matrix is to be put into exile in the MS-Matrix. Seems like "cruel and unusual punishment" to me! :)
25. DEATHSTROKE9 (Posts: 399; Member since: 09 Nov 2013)
You're punishment must be more severe. You shall now spend your life in exile with a blackberry Z3 and a Nokia X.
18. Leo_MC (Posts: 1043; Member since: 02 Dec 2011)
How about push email?
Gmail only pushes the mails on... Gmail app.
23. Takeharu (Posts: 200; Member since: 28 Oct 2013)
Why not get a Xiaomi phone then? They don't have Google services installed and run Xiaomi services instead which are very good.
24. 0xFFFF (Posts: 3806; Member since: 16 Apr 2014)
I am waiting for the OnePlus One to be for sale without groveling or maybe the new Vivo XShot, if they make a US version of it.
19. av911 (Posts: 190; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
Gmail app doesn't define Android. I prefer using Samsung's built-in email app.
29. techspace (Posts: 1033; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
The custom ROM is also android....and apps like gmail are also available for ios, why would you need android for that.
32. jroc74 (Posts: 5986; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
I know....I get what he's saying....but that is one of the few things I leave on. Its a quick, easy way to have email on the phone. That isnt buggy or cumbersome to use.
9. DEATHSTROKE9 (Posts: 399; Member since: 09 Nov 2013)
Sayith whhhaaaat????!!!! Why would you ever do that? Lol I uninstall google+ and google+ photos first. ROFL
2. windowsRocks (Posts: 152; Member since: 28 Oct 2011)
Its because Android is developed by Google & GMail comes preinstalled on most of the devices
8. tech2 (Posts: 3349; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
Yup. Inspite of that those downloads aren't total downloads. It doesn't include duplicate or accounts which are no longer in use.
4. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3689; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
I thought Gmail comes preloaded in android phones atleast GAPPS enabled.
6. techspace (Posts: 1033; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
Its one of those pre installed apps that I never use.
27. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3689; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
you must be one of the people who use their phones for nothing but whatsapp and facebook.
28. techspace (Posts: 1033; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
I use my phone for almost everything that a smartphone is used for....and I am not a big fan of WhatsApp.....I don't like gmail but I do use 3rd party mail apps....and yes, I am a nexus fan, I own a nexus 5
....you should not make an impression so quickly, without knowing anything.
7. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 11302; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
Preloaded doesn't count since all major Android phones come with gmail so that number is very misleading
13. RaKithAPeiRiZ (Posts: 1488; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
wonder why Google Maps , G+ aren't on that list lol
34. Scott93274 (Posts: 4105; Member since: 06 Aug 2013)
For the first time ever I'm going to actually agree with you. Yes it's a milestone number, but it holds little significance if it's not an app downloaded by the user.
36. jroc74 (Posts: 5986; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
Well...this would mean Android's market share isnt mostly from devices that dont have Google apps. Kindle Fire...might have to put that on by side loading or some other way.
This was argued on here recently that its where most of Androids market share is from.
And....post #13 made a good point about Maps...that was there from the beginning too.
15. shahrooz (Posts: 706; Member since: 17 Sep 2013)
I use this app and I'm very happy with it. However I have some of gapps hibernated by greenify. (if my last sentence is gramaticly fed up please correct me)
16. vananucho (Posts: 68; Member since: 01 Jun 2011)
Yeah because it INSTALLS AUTOMATICALLY the first time you go into the play store -.-
21. GreekGeek (Posts: 1276; Member since: 22 Mar 2014)
Every Cheap China phone in existence comes with GMail pre installed in it....while technically, the first Android app with 1 billion installs is 100 % correct......kinda like, what choice do we have? LOL
If we have to count those ''real'' installs, Ima bet Gmail would stand no chance against WhatsApp or Viber
30. AfterShock (Posts: 3698; Member since: 02 Nov 2012)
I could be wrong but I don't believe all the cheap variants sold in China have access to play store, no gapps.
26. techperson211 (Posts: 1168; Member since: 27 Feb 2014)
What's the fuss about this gmail app? I mean obviously it will reached billion downloads cause it's already pre installed to android devices.
33. jroc74 (Posts: 5986; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
Thats fine...just means there are a billion Android devices activated out there...thats all.
35. AfterShock (Posts: 3698; Member since: 02 Nov 2012)
Even if it was half this number in solid figures,
its miles ahead of any competition by other OEM.