Ex-Nokia employees from Jolla Mobile said to be almost ready to show their first MeeGo smartphone
As you might have heard, Jolla Mobile was created by ex-Nokia employees after the Elopocalipse began. They has decided to begin their own smartphone company, with MeeGo being their OS of choice.
According to the CEO, the team is now working on building the ecosystem, including developers, services and navigation. More importantly, though, he says the MeeGo-running smartphone will use a brand new UI, so it'll most probably be very different from what Nokia showed in the N9.
For the time being, Jolla might do some work with other companies like carriers and service providers, aimed at popularizing the MeeGo OS, which would be beneficial for Jolla's brand as well.
The first smartphone, scheduled for announcement later this year, will probably make its debut in Europe first, but will later arrive in other markets as well.
We have to say that we're quite excited about the prospect of a brand new player, as well as a new OS (maybe "new" wasn't the most appropriate word in this case). Although we wouldn't be expecting wonders from this start-up, we sure think that a breath of fresh air would be very beneficial for the market.
1. wendygarett (unregistered)
yeah bring it with google play apps ^___^
And take that stephen elop!!!
18. doejon (Posts: 311; Member since: 31 Jul 2012)
the guy looks like one of the actor of lord of the rings haha xD
this guy even dont need make up... xD
2. PhansMuneeb (Posts: 337; Member since: 28 Jan 2012)
Nokia killed itself with wp7.5, they should have launch their first wave with wp8....
Symbian Belle was awesome BTW
13. Mozarrt (Posts: 290; Member since: 08 Oct 2011)
Most Nokia Belle phones are pretty laggy and have the most pathetic internet browser ever.
23. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
i agree on the browser its bad, i use opera to get around that. but lag is almost non existent on my 808 with belle fp2
i wish they had carried on with both Symbian and meego along with wp8
33. AppleHateBoy (Posts: 444; Member since: 29 Feb 2012)
I wish they use better specs on their Symbian phones. ARM 11 processors are almost a decade old now. They should atleast use a Cortex A8 on their phones. Their GPUs are pretty good btw.
25. Bernoulli (Posts: 1396; Member since: 01 Sep 2012)
Google it, use the Nokia n9 as reference
5. B3BLW29 (Posts: 237; Member since: 02 Mar 2012)
It it me or the guy in pic looks seriously constipated :D
17. Jobes (Posts: 364; Member since: 27 Oct 2011)
He looks like he could use a nice solid shower and shave as well.. if your going to wear a suit you should at least brush that mop.
30. samystic (Posts: 187; Member since: 25 Mar 2012)
seriously kids??? does looks matter if they deliver something that you can't even think of? get out of your closed mind
Nokia respected these guys and hence offered them to flourish on their own... repsect
34. B3BLW29 (Posts: 237; Member since: 02 Mar 2012)
I am just kidding. I would have been first in line to get N9 had they decided to release in my country.
However looking fwd for a Meego Device from Jolla :)
35. samystic (Posts: 187; Member since: 25 Mar 2012)
thumbs up from my side for an instant response... awaiting Meego based devices in India as well... Nokia too bad you did not release N9 in India...
36. Jobes (Posts: 364; Member since: 27 Oct 2011)
Why do you put that as a response to my comment?! You must be confused :)
6. pokharkarsaga (Posts: 346; Member since: 23 Feb 2012)
if meego os is out it will blow WP.will MS make this happen? I think meego is a backup os in case WP fails.
12. Contreramanjaro (Posts: 153; Member since: 04 Dec 2011)
"it will blow WP"
I didn't know they were that close.
8. hdikenli (Posts: 2; Member since: 29 Aug 2012)
people like the UI on MeeGo, if you bring MeeGo back on a phone with a new UI, users may not welcome that change.
10. Gawain (Posts: 304; Member since: 15 Apr 2010)
I hate asking ignorant questions, but what is the difference between MeeGo and Symbian? I thought MeeGo was just a "version" of Symbian. Is that not the case?
19. asseek (Posts: 164; Member since: 12 Sep 2012)
they are juss two different operating systems (OS)
MeeGo is a linux based OS, which Nokia developed with Intel, it's a developed version of Meamo OS (the one used on Nokia N900)
while Symbian OS is developed by Symbian Ltd (a British software development company) with the help of Nokia and other companies like Ericsson and Samsung..
why all the hate? he just asked a question, and he already stated that he have no idea about the two OS!!
11. FoneAddict (Posts: 176; Member since: 05 Jul 2011)
The more competition in the Mobile market place the better for everyone. I really hope the succeed with this cos if they do this will be the biggest embarrassment for Elop ever!
14. Loubielou (Posts: 174; Member since: 11 Jul 2012)
Hope this phone is alot more Succesful than Nokia windows phones,an Show to Mr Elop an Nokia that you made the wrong decision like they Did with Symbian,the Meego could be made Succesful,N9 was never given a chance of being succesful globally because Mr Elop was so scared of it dinting the sales of the Lumias
16. maverick786us (Posts: 116; Member since: 20 Apr 2012)
MeeGo will create a dent with android
20. Gadgety (Posts: 20; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
The question I have is will the carriers 1) be interested? 2) if they are not interested, allow this type of phones on their network?
22. ChangMin2012 (Posts: 87; Member since: 14 Apr 2012)
I don't think this will be a carrier-only thing since they tend to focus more on GSM-based units.
24. Glim12808 (Posts: 391; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
Guys, you need to generate real widespread excitement for Jolla's Meego phones because at the present level of excitement, it'll probably only be available in the U.S. unlocked at Amazon with no carrier offering it in their line-up. For myself, I'll be getting a Nokia Lumia 920 Windows Phone 8.
26. PotDragon (banned) (Posts: 214; Member since: 22 Jul 2011)
Why do "we" NEED to generate interest? Why should we be excited about an OS we have never seen nor used? Who cares where a handset we have never seen might be sold?
Show me the handset. Release the OS. The curiosity I have may grow into interest. If it is terrific it may even gain my support.
28. Glim12808 (Posts: 391; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
I was NOT talking to YOU! Repeat, I was NOT talking to YOU! I was talking to Meego fans. I myself am not a Meego fan but there are some Meego fans out there and it was to them I was addressing my comment! As for Meego itself, it has already seen the light of day in Nokia's N9!
27. champ_vl (Posts: 44; Member since: 31 Aug 2012)
They'd better not change the Swype UI because that's the beauty of the Meego. I had an N9 for 5 months and I can say that in terms of smoothness and speed it's not on par with Jelly Bean or iOS. What impresses with the MeeGo si the Swype functionality and the true multitasking and the low battery consumption. So Jolla...you better watch out what you're doing with the lovely MeeGo !! Better not screw this up !!
31. allen83 (Posts: 105; Member since: 01 Mar 2012)
Jolla is a different company so they will use their own UI. The swipe UI is a property of Nokia so they cannot use it.
32. snowgator (Posts: 3158; Member since: 19 Jan 2011)
Good luck, gang. It is a long road, but MeeGo is well respected. That is something to build on.