Could we see the Nexus 5 unveiling at today's Google+ event after all?
We've gone through a number of release theories this past week and a half, and most of these have felt at least somewhat reasonable, though, ultimately, untrue.
This new theory is, kind of suspiciously, very much in line with that above notion. Essentially, it refers back to that Wind Mobile Nexus 5 pre-registration page, or well, a very specific part of it. It reads:
Okay, so what's the big deal, you may wonder. Well, as it turns out, Vic Gundotra, SVP of Engineering at Google has been kept awake, rehearsing for his appearance later tonight on stage during the Google+ event. The part which triggered the alarm is the fact that Gundotra used a #momentsthatmatter hashtag, seemingly referring to the Nexus 5.
So is this a long shot? Definitely, but it doesn't sound impossible. Google has been investing more and more effort into marketing its social platform as of late, and announcing a bigshot product like the Nexus 5 is sure to bring some extra publicity to the platform. Moreover, we've been literally witnessing a sort of an avalanche of tips and rumors of a release at the end of the month, which only further confuse the situation.
In any case, this latest theory, true or wrong, will be very short-lived, indeed, as the Google+ event is just hours away now. We suggest you hold your excitement until then. We've all been hurt already.
Is the Nexus 5 coming today?
1. Wind Mobile's pre-registration page
2. Vic Gundotra, Google SVP of Engineering, seemingly referring to the Wind Mobile ad?
3. Nexus 5 specs as listed by Wind Mobile
4. UK's Carphone Warehouse already has the Nexus 5 listed in its internal inventorying system
5. E-tailers like this one have begun listing the Nexus 5 already
source: Vic Gundorta (G+)
10. akki20892 (Posts: 3476; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
In pic 2, what the Hell they r talking about?
11. NexusPhan (Posts: 474; Member since: 11 Jul 2013)
Try and read the article first before making yourself look foolish...
38. akki20892 (Posts: 3476; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
Try to read comment first before making yourself look foolish...
i wasn't serious, i was joking. Now who is fool dudeeeeeeeeee.
2. squallz506 (banned) (Posts: 1075; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
Cmon my nn7 wants 4.4 and a little brother.
4. NexusPhan (Posts: 474; Member since: 11 Jul 2013)
KitKat actually seems to include a lot of Google+ focused updates. Camera gallery is changing to G+ photos. Text messaging and maybe even voice calling is being tied into the Google+ chat (hangouts). The first time we (might) get a decent camera in a Nexus and a much needed improved camera app. It almost makes sense for the G+ team to announce KitKat. Maybe the Nexus 5 team will demo the first phone to take advantage of all these new G+ features at the end of the event. It actually isn't as far fetched as I initially thought.
7. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8300; Member since: 14 May 2012)
I'm switching to the $30 plan T-Mo once Hangouts is the default communication app.
9. NexusPhan (Posts: 474; Member since: 11 Jul 2013)
Get your pre-paid T-Mobile SIM card ASAP. They are on sale right now for $0.99 with free shipping. That price could go up at any time. Add to cart and you'll see the price drop.
Edit: It never expires. You might as well get it now when you can even if you don't plan to activate it for months. What is $0.99 anyway?
13. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8300; Member since: 14 May 2012)
I can just pop the one I have in my S3 into my Note 3. All I have to do is switch plans.
14. NexusPhan (Posts: 474; Member since: 11 Jul 2013)
I didn't realize you already had T-Mobile. Nice choice!
5. scriptwriter (Posts: 396; Member since: 13 Nov 2012)
im not following any more theories, rumors or hints. They 're ALL Wrong!!! Am just waiting for the actual release.
6. uchihakurtz (Posts: 247; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
Just release KitKat already so I can finally sleep well again (╯°□°）╯︵┻━┻
8. in_core (Posts: 80; Member since: 14 Sep 2012)
The official tag from Wind mobile and the invites # tag matches, so it's highly probable that it's happening today.
12. miguelmeza14 (Posts: 55; Member since: 20 Apr 2013)
Well, least this theory is more reasonable than that of the 3 holes on the bowling ball...
15. Arkorium (unregistered)
Is that a MacBook in the background of the Google+ post ?
That is ever so slightly ironic...
16. NexusPhan (Posts: 474; Member since: 11 Jul 2013)
Not really. Google uses Macs extensively at their offices. Google is a completely cross platform company. They don't take sides and ultimately just want more people using Google services. What device they use them on doesn't matter. Google makes money on ads. Ads are on all platforms.
21. Arkorium (unregistered)
Yeah that's true, just not sure why they don't use a Chrombook per say, macs don't have the best compatibility with android phones. Plus it's kinda tempting the fanboys to argue again over Apple/Google, Android/iOS, then Mac/PC (they could get there). People are already commenting about it on G+
24. NexusPhan (Posts: 474; Member since: 11 Jul 2013)
Not as good with power point presentations I'd suspect.
27. Arkorium (unregistered)
Yeah good point. Although they might prefer keynote ;)
30. Chris.P (Posts: 275; Member since: 27 Jun 2013)
A common presumption appears to be that Android/iOS quibbling is a bad thing. In reality, it's really for the benefit of both companies, for as long as we continue to talk about them twos, a third is unlikely to make a reasonable entry.
Personal opinion ;)
18. roldefol (Posts: 2870; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
The thing with Google/Nexus is that they don't need a huge press conference like Apple or Nokia to announce 4.4 or the N5. They can announce at a little event like this and know that the news will spread all over the tech sites like wildfire.
19. NexusPhan (Posts: 474; Member since: 11 Jul 2013)
So true. After seeing all the other major press conferences, all I really wanted was tech sites reviews and pictures. Samsung, LG and Apple press conferences themselves were long and boring. Google gets it.
31. roldefol (Posts: 2870; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
Or in the case of the Galaxy S4 event, horrifyingly cheesy, anachronistic and sexist.
33. _PHug_ (Posts: 380; Member since: 11 Oct 2011)
Maybe Android 5 deserves a big press conference but 4.4?
not so much
22. DefinitiveKid (Posts: 116; Member since: 15 May 2013)
At what time does this event take place ?
28. Taters (Posts: 3032; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
You are half right, it is true that they don't need it but not because news will spread on its own, but because there is no point in spending the money on a big event.
How much did the Nexus 4 sell? 900k was the last estimate so probably capped off at 2 million tops. Nexus 10 even less and that had some SICK hardware.the LG Optimus G probably sold more than the Nexus 4 worldwide and the LG G2 show was a waste of money.
That is what HTC and Nokia fail to realize. Don't bother with your own event until the Note 3, GS4, and IPhone 5s slows down a bit. You just end up wasting money.
Just stick to CES like Sony does or MWC like everyone except Apple use to do. Know your place and budget. Just because Apple and Samsung can get away with big events without hurting your pocket book it doesn't mean everyone else can. These events are like weddings, you are going to be in the hole for like 10 g's unless you are Kim Kardashian, then you will profit millions. Only works for Apple and Samsung right now, everyone else loses money. Google probably realized how much money the hurricane saved them and is going to do it that way again.
29. roldefol (Posts: 2870; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
Also noting today is exactly one year since 4.2, the Nexus 4, and Nexus 10 were 'surprise' announced.
34. scriptwriter (Posts: 396; Member since: 13 Nov 2012)
Has anyone got the live stream working yet?
35. alannyny (Posts: 18; Member since: 27 Jun 2012)
By this point I might as well just wait for the Nexus 6.
37. E.S.1 (Posts: 289; Member since: 14 Sep 2013)
If it's not announced by Friday at 12 I'm just getting the LG G2. It's the closest thing to Nexus.
41. zekes (Posts: 207; Member since: 14 Aug 2012)
If they keep pushing the date back it's going to be doa