BlackBerry CEO says Android and Windows Phone are "not mobile computing platforms", BB working on new tablet projects
In an interview to Computerworld Australia, Heins has said that his company considered offering BlackBerry services to Windows Phone and Android at one point, but eventually decided that neither WP, nor Android share BlackBerry's vision of mobile computing future, where mobile devices are capable of executing the same tasks as desktop computers. In this regard, the CEO has said that Windows Phone and Android aren't true mobile computing platforms.
Apparently, Heins considers the new BlackBerry 10 something much more than the most popular operating systems currently on the market. However, it doesn't become clear in what ways the latest BB OS is better than iOS, Windows Phone or Android.
On another note, Heins says that while BlackBerry doesn't have anything new to announce on the tablet front right now, the company is "running a few projects" to discover ways of taking it to the next level and come up with a different kind of tablet, not just a copy of what's already available on the market.
source: Computerworld via Neowin
1. Timmehor (Posts: 599; Member since: 09 Mar 2013)
Bullcrap, just a meaningless defensive slur of his crumbling company.
17. microsoftnokiawin (Posts: 1043; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
if your gonna attack atleast back up your info and also surface rt and surface pro and any other wp8 tablets rt or pro nope nothing close to making phones able to excute the same tasks with desktop computer
and the accessable terminal in any android meego and probably upcoming tizen and sailfish os is the equivalent of a cmd
it is actually a cmd but just for linux so i see phones very capable of becoming similar to desktops so this guy is high
20. microsoftnokiawin (Posts: 1043; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
same tasks as*
and for the last paragraph i see android and wp8 very capable and on their way of becoming similar to desktops both in their own distincy ways :D
28. amansingal14 (Posts: 297; Member since: 08 Sep 2012)
@Heins - lol, dude you're sick...
2. tech2 (Posts: 2461; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
could have atleast given a legit explanation as to why randroid and WP aren't mobile computing platform ?!?!!
11. slaggyb (Posts: 192; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
I like that Randroid....the droid ran away
14. tech2 (Posts: 2461; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
LOL.....XD took me a while to make sense of your comment ! didnt see my mistake there !
27. GadgetsMcGoo (Posts: 167; Member since: 15 Mar 2013)
You can run full QNX on a PC hardware.
5. someones4 (Posts: 619; Member since: 16 Sep 2012)
bb os isn't a mobile computing os either. You have to climb to the top to say things about your rivals
6. p0rkguy (Posts: 684; Member since: 23 Nov 2010)
BlackBerry needs to explain these so called "desktop computing".
Saying vague statements and attacking others while trying to get back into the market makes you look scared and weak.
7. wendygarett (unregistered)
Sounds like Mr heins wanna change the world... Pftt... Just bring it on...
8. dickwyn (Posts: 601; Member since: 07 May 2012)
bitch please obviously Windows Phone 8 is not a computing OS in the name itself there is already the word phone
9. BitterTruth (unregistered)
Joke Of The Century!
10. jcpwn2004 (Posts: 314; Member since: 18 Jan 2012)
this guy has a really big mouth lol, lets see how bb10 sales fare in the US...
12. slaggyb (Posts: 192; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
That is called confidence in your product...
15. selena1000 (Posts: 84; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
wait,when this guy said iPhone was not the best anymore he was THE best CEO.now when the same person is criticizing android and windows phone he is an idiot??
You guys are such d**ks
19. microsoftnokiawin (Posts: 1043; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
well because he said ios has been the same thing for the last 5 years he backed up his attacks with info whatever his doing here is just throwing a random attack with no back up or anything and comment #17 up there proves his wrong
16. lyndon420 (Posts: 1786; Member since: 11 Jul 2012)
Maybe he is gonna bring out a phone/tablet with a built in printer? So far that's the only thing I need my computer for, and rarely do I ever need to print anything. Desperately trying to be relevant again.
18. Shubham412302 (Posts: 306; Member since: 09 Nov 2011)
don't know about wp or android but atleast bb10is not mobile computing platform
21. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Mr.Heins you can't say that, even thought I respect you, but you're just WRONG to say that.
BB need to work harder!!
32. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Yup, he needs to improve BB, not talk blah blah blah........
22. bubbadoes (Posts: 365; Member since: 03 May 2012)
This sounds great coming from the worlds leading innovation company..RIM-BLACKBERRY or whatever your name is..and all you could come up with is BB10
23. MC1123 (Posts: 1249; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
totally true!! wp and android cant do this!!! only meego and blackberry can do this!!!
24. preet27in (banned) (Posts: 173; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
hahaah CEO HAS GONE CRAZY even a dog dosent want a blackberry. stupid junk with worlds most weird user interface. camers sux, screen sux, processor sux. looks isewww. what else is left/?? how come blackberry is a mobile-computing platform? tell us nyways.ur CEO AND U NEED TO GROW UP.or give us the charge of blackberry we will surely sink ur ship. :P
26. darkich (Posts: 2; Member since: 22 Mar 2013)
Wow that was an epic horse sh!t.
Mr Heins, wake up!
There's a whole blog about a tech journalist who used Galaxy Note 1 for an entire year as his ONLY computer, and he ended up loving the experience!
29. apiskula (banned) (Posts: 578; Member since: 25 Jan 2013)
Thorsten you are an idiot. You stupid product is failing and you will not release any sales results for Blackberry 10 because you know it's grabage. Close your doors now!
30. Bluesky02 (Posts: 1439; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
Well let's the see how BB10 can differentiate itself from Android & Windows Phone.
33. jackass (Posts: 1; Member since: 22 Mar 2013)
Can no one read?
Mobile computing is his vision for the future.
34. jroc74 (Posts: 5192; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
Amazing him calling out MS since they have actual desktop OS's.
And how can them and Android not be a mobile computing platform? It doesnt take much to be a mobile computing platform...key word is mobile....
Heins.....is tripping hard.
He also must doesnt know about the possible convergence of Win 8 and WP8...
Again.....he is tripping hard.