x PhoneArena is looking for new authors! To view all available positions, click here.
  • Home
  • News
  • Apple's the Hollywood darling with iDevices appearing in 40% of the 2011 box office hits

Apple's the Hollywood darling with iDevices appearing in 40% of the 2011 box office hits

Posted: , by Daniel P.

Tags:

Apple's the Hollywood darling with iDevices appearing in 40% of the 2011 box office hits
Our collective geek subconscious no doubt registers each time an Apple device or an Android gear shows up in a movie or TV series scene, but now research firms have dressed up those appearances into numbers for 2011.

Last year Apple was the Hollywood darling with iDevices appearing in no less than 40% of the 2011 box office hits, and that's without Apple paying a dime, but rather offering barter deals in its own ads and iTunes screens, like with "Mission Impossible".

Hit shows like "House M.D.", "30 Rock", "The Good Wife", "Gossip Girl" and so on, are waving iPhone, iPads and MacBooks left and right, often without even a "promotional consideration furnished by Apple" tagline in the end. In fact, in the IMDB list of promotional considerations Apple is present only for "House M.D.", and older episodes of "30 Rock", from the famous shows.

Apple's appearance in top box office movies was twice as often in 2011 as that of other traditionally strong product placement computer brands like Dell or HP. Actually they seem to be the brand of choice when a traditional office, or government agency atmosphere has to be presented, like in "The Office", or "CSI". In contrast, Apple's gadgets are rarely into the hands of a villain, and are often the topic of devotion and discussion themselves for whole episodes, like with "Modern Family", or when Raj from the "Big Bang Theory" fell in love with Siri. And that's a show in which one of the main characters, Sheldon Cooper, has a little green Android robot on his desk.

Gavin Polone, who produces HBO’s Curb Your Enthusiasm, says about the Apple-producers relationship that “Apple won’t pay to have their products featured, but they are more than willing to hand out an endless amount of computers, iPads, and iPhones. It’s kind of a graft situation.

source: BusinessWeek & IMDB


14 Comments
  • Options
    Close




posted on 14 May 2012, 05:48

1. Cyan3boN (Posts: 425; Member since: 23 Feb 2012)


why do I care when its not my darling, its a bi**h.

posted on 14 May 2012, 05:50

2. Bluesky02 (Posts: 1439; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)


Free Marketing?

posted on 14 May 2012, 06:00 4

3. x7black7x (Posts: 118; Member since: 19 Feb 2012)


fasion symbols '' iphone, ipad, ipod, isheep, istevejobs''

posted on 14 May 2012, 16:40

14. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6565; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)


you also forget to mention. iHOLLYWOOD

posted on 14 May 2012, 10:02

4. networkdood (Posts: 6273; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)


Wow, it was a much higher percentage in 2009....I see more Android phones in movies now...not that it matters

posted on 14 May 2012, 10:09 1

5. remixfa (Posts: 13925; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)


so, if its 40%, whats the other 60%? hmm? we know its not going to be blackberries and WP7 very often. Me thinks the story ignores a green giant in the room.

posted on 14 May 2012, 11:24

6. paulyyd (Posts: 327; Member since: 08 Jan 2011)


lol keep dreaming buddy

posted on 14 May 2012, 12:05 1

7. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)


Sad, but no one cares about android. It's just a cheaper alternative.

posted on 14 May 2012, 14:03

10. remixfa (Posts: 13925; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)


nitroglycerine

posted on 14 May 2012, 16:39

12. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6565; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)


NO ONE CARES bout taco50 dumb comments

posted on 14 May 2012, 13:51

9. mrochester (unregistered)


Who knows who the other 60% of devices are made by. Probably a mix of every other manufacturer on the market. I doubt the other 60% is any one particular manufacturer.

posted on 14 May 2012, 14:04

11. remixfa (Posts: 13925; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)


when was the last time you didnt see a phone that was either a apple or android on a current show? Its pretty rare these days. so its a pretty obvious guess what would make up the bulk of the other 60%

posted on 14 May 2012, 12:56

8. APPLE_R0YALLY (banned) (Posts: 73; Member since: 08 May 2012)


WE SAY™ its fashion. A show off. A Trend. Its for Basic
People.....!?
WE SAY™ Androids are for Technical people....!? WE ARE™ Proud..... !?

posted on 14 May 2012, 16:40

13. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6565; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)


already saw it on upcoming MIB III and already on Ghost Adventures Crew. I could care less bout iHollywood

Want to comment? Please login or register.

Latest stories