Apple iPhone and Apple iPad users are complaining about battery drain problems on iOS 6.1.3
1% every 7 minutes which is a tad more than 8% per hour. At the extreme, some have reported that their battery went from full to dead in just 3 hours. There have been a number of home remedies that have been suggested including one that some have apparently had success with. It involves running the battery all the way down, and then plugging in the wall charger for four hours. By letting the cell run down to zero, it shuts off any processes that are running and recalibrates the battery gauge. The idea is to free up some running processes that might be stuck.
Another issue that continues to affect Apple iPhone and iPad users is the one that "grays out" the connection to Wi-Fi preventing users from connecting to a Wi-Fi signal. This also seems to affect Bluetooth connectivity. Apple does have a fix for that, which it has posted. Making sure that the Airplane Mode is off, Apple says to restart your iOS device, update your iOS device and restart network settings by tapping on Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. After that, restore your device in iTunes and that should take care of the problem. If not, you need to contact Apple.
Returning to the battery drain issue, surely Apple is aware of the problem and hopefully iOS 6.1.4 will be sent out soon to repair the problem. Have any of you Apple iPhone or iPad users experienced shorter battery life since the update to iOS 6.1.3? Let us know by dropping a comment in the box below.
source: Apple (1), (2) via CNET
1. edgabimbam (unregistered)
i have iphone 5, updated to 6.1.3. I dont have huge battery drain like others, but yeh battery life decreased. Furthermore, no problems with wifi connection, just having some problems with 3G but maybe it is fault of my carrier
5. edgabimbam (unregistered)
40. PhenomFaz (Posts: 1172; Member since: 26 Sep 2012)
Its just one epic fail after the other for Apple recently...yup thats what you get for throwing guys like Forstell out and making Joey Ive incharge!
2. funnyguy (banned) (Posts: 244; Member since: 10 Jan 2013)
On my ipad I feel that the battery is better after the update..
No problems whatsoever...
3. eliasafram7 (Posts: 83; Member since: 18 Mar 2013)
surely Apple is aware of the problem and hopefully iOS 6.1.4 will be sent out soon to repair the problem. yes sure after each update performed by apple the problems are growing instead of decreasing
47. andro. (Posts: 1990; Member since: 16 Sep 2011)
At this stage its like a degenerate disease,iOS updates are being pushed through almost by the week now to cure new faults and errors,but each cure is an ifan placebo as in fact the iOS as a whole is getting worse and more buggy with each release
6. sonofzeus (Posts: 95; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
IOS 6.1.4 will resolve the battery drain issue,but will create some other problems for which IOS 6.1.5 will give a resolution and it goes On and ON
10. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Don't worry, we still have more Apples, like : Japanese Fuji Apple, Granny Smith etc.
31. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
And there are alternatives.... Pears, oranges, berries come to mind.
50. javac (Posts: 102; Member since: 04 Mar 2013)
I work for verizon and oddly enough blackberry has actually made a decent phone im playing with it right now. Iphone killer? Jk Apple doesnt need help with that.
56. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Don't forget "Blackberries", I mean "Blueberries".
8. Aeires (unregistered)
The fix involving letting your battery go completely dead is insane, who can afford to give up their phone for that amount of time? Is that a one time deal or do you have to repeat the process periodically?
11. mariosraptor (Posts: 111; Member since: 15 Mar 2012)
one time deal. just to reset battery stats
32. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Well, you could also manually kill apps that aren't important. Draining the battery is a bit extreme, IMO. Plus, there is no guarantee that it will work.
9. CreeDiddy (Posts: 536; Member since: 04 Nov 2011)
My battery seems to drain faster through Spotify and heavy streaming than normal. However, we are all waiting for iOS7. So maybe these useless updates will stop.
12. mas11 (Posts: 1034; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
Apple has gotten really good at screwing up their phones. I still wonder why someone would buy an iPhone 4S for $99 on contract when they could get a newer and better phone for the same price (RAZR HD, SIII)
29. Lift_Off (Posts: 152; Member since: 04 Apr 2012)
Oh ya they are so bad for releasing fixes to what people complain about... I dont think any other phone company pushes out fixes faster than apple does. and people buy the 4s because they want an iphone but don't want to spend extra for the 5. Not that hard to understand.
42. mas11 (Posts: 1034; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
But why get an iPhone to begin with? Plus android updates don't damage the devices. The last time I remember hearing a complaint about an update on the Nexus was the calendar bug.
58. rcrider4 (Posts: 118; Member since: 14 Nov 2011)
I beg to differ. The ICS update for the Epic 4G Touch has caused my phone to shut itself off constantly. The only way to get it to turn back on is to remove the battery and restart. The phone is still on and burning battery while it is "off", it just won't turn the screen on, and in the battery meter, it showed that the battery died (which it didn't). I've fine through 3 replacements, all with the same problems. I'm hoping JB comes soon to fix it...
59. mas11 (Posts: 1034; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
I'm talking about the Nexus 4 not a device limited by a custom skin or carrier. It's the pure Google experience. What carriers and manufacturers choose to do to their phones isn't Google's fault.
51. javac (Posts: 102; Member since: 04 Mar 2013)
Lol well im just going to throw this out there for you to think about. Maybe it should be QUALITY over quantity? with over 100 billion in savings you would think they could afford to invest in QUALITY.
14. PhonePhazer47 (Posts: 30; Member since: 01 Oct 2012)
have noticed that drain!..... cmon apple, get it together!!!....
16. vineethgajula (Posts: 2; Member since: 18 Mar 2012)
I own ipad after updating it to 6.1.3 i felt there is not much draining of the battery
19. vandroid (Posts: 323; Member since: 04 Sep 2012)
I haven't noticed a battery issue on this phone in fact it's probably because I came from the HTc one s which has terrible battery life
20. mclifford81 (Posts: 69; Member since: 26 Jan 2010)
shorter battery life, wifi is not connecting, when on vibrate it vibrates three times for a text instead of the normal two and then 30 seconds later a notification pops up relaying the text notification bar, emails vibrating three times as well, and lastly losing sound during videos.. Annoyed? I'd say heck yeah!
21. drnggaj33 (Posts: 127; Member since: 29 Feb 2012)
all the phones are the same any 4g phone you are gonna charge them twice a day apple,andriod,windows ....im a tech for att the're not gonna last all day just deal with it ppl pay extra chargers and batteries for any phone
23. dragonstkdgirl (Posts: 144; Member since: 07 Apr 2012)
I don't have to charge my MAXX twice a day......
30. dakota30312 (Posts: 15; Member since: 27 Mar 2013)
Class: Batteries 101
Students: Sony,Samsung,Htc,Apple,Nokia, etc....
22. dakota30312 (Posts: 15; Member since: 27 Mar 2013)
Hey hey hey.....what is all the complaining about? I mean we got our extra row of icons. Right？ We don't need battery life.
24. Luuthian (Posts: 232; Member since: 09 Sep 2011)
I've never had a problem with my iPhone 5's battery life, including after the update :/.
26. ryan1144567 (Posts: 3; Member since: 27 Mar 2013)
I have iphone 5 and ipad 2 and i have updated ios 6.1.3 but till today i didnt find anu battery issue...i dont even think there's such a problem..i don't know why people facing that but seriously no issue with mine ios devices......
52. javac (Posts: 102; Member since: 04 Mar 2013)
Your right you dont have any issues which means its all a lie!!!
Guys it was an april fools joke lets ditch our Cutting edge Androids and get the iphone 4!!!
27. sprockkets (Posts: 1582; Member since: 16 Jan 2012)
The reason for the battery drain is the ipad or iphone is constantly scrambling the lock screen program to prevent another bypass :)
28. pyradark (Posts: 809; Member since: 10 Jun 2012)
Thats why i need to shift in XZ. Im on vacation and i didnt update my iphone 5, so safe for awhile. Pls. Apple do something right with your update. Thank god i only get this phone thru carrier.
34. tbacba (Posts: 69; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
The gentleman who claimed his battery showed 99% charge after 12 hours is either confused or lying. A 2% per day battery drain means his phone previously (before the update) could last almost 2 months? I don't think so...
35. edwardpascual (Posts: 2; Member since: 27 Mar 2013)
Battery drain is my problem too since last update. Besides that, my iPhone 5 has freezed 5 times since last update. Apple people U should ck
36. bubbadoes (Posts: 567; Member since: 03 May 2012)
What do you expect on your premium device with undisclosed 1100 mah battery. Have you noticed Apple never discloses Ram. Processor speed other than a6 or battery mah size. They dwell on the fact that the phone is retina on the screen
37. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
'1 Infinite Loop" of patches and upgrades.
38. Rexperia (Posts: 124; Member since: 28 Sep 2012)
my iPhone 4S still running 6.1.2 should I updates it to 6.1.3? please anyone, need your input!
41. jesusnexo (Posts: 147; Member since: 26 Mar 2013)
i shouldnt have updated my iphone 4 to 6.1.2 :( bateery sucks....
43. jphillips63 (Posts: 197; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
I'm still on 6.1.1 on my iPad 4 I'm holding out until there is a real fix to this issue but I don't see any in the near future as the Devs for apple have been migrating over to android OS now and apple are loosing there best Devs which is quiet funny.
45. ijustcoolin (Posts: 9; Member since: 27 Mar 2013)
hey i uses iphone 5 and iphone 4s also .... i updated them with latest ios ...
i am facing a diffrent problem
it is my keyboard color goes off ... i mean i cant type
if u want to see picture i can send of it i dont have your email id please
mail me your email id so that i can send you 1 third bug
49. 1ccho (Posts: 3; Member since: 27 Mar 2013)
iOS 6.9.7 released in December 2015 finally resolved all issues...
53. javac (Posts: 102; Member since: 04 Mar 2013)
except that you can only open apps from 7 am to 7pm.
54. vickygamit (Posts: 30; Member since: 16 Aug 2012)
they are pushing updates without testing and observations
55. spiderpig2894 (Posts: 499; Member since: 10 Jan 2012)
This is true. I have an iPad4 and the battery percent is now 96% from 100% in just 20 minutes of web browsing at the minimum brightness.
57. GadgetsMcGoo (Posts: 168; Member since: 15 Mar 2013)
They should really just put in removable battery doors. At least with this issue, one can drop in another battery in a pinch.
60. novakayn (Posts: 1; Member since: 30 Apr 2013)
I have the 4s and my battery dies fast and my wifi only works if I'm right in front of the router. All my other wifi devices work anywhere in the house, even my wife's 4s! It's very frustrating!