$35 Android tablet available for students in India
The Aakash is the world’s cheapest touch-screen tablet. It only costs $50 to manufacture and usually retails for $60. In order to make technology more accessible to the poor, the Indian government is now subsidizing the Android-based device to students in the nation. The final cost – just $35.
While it has been reported that the device has poor sound quality, occasional freezing, and no access to the Android Market, for only $35 students do get a 7” tablet with 366 MHz ARM-based processor, 256 MB RAM, Wi-Fi, Micro-SD slot, and access to GetJar for apps. Not a bad deal.
source: Daily Mobile
1. drahmad (Posts: 480; Member since: 20 Aug 2011)
people in india are dying from starvation. what the heck are they doin with tablets. they should instead subsidise grain...and stop killing people in kashmir !!!
2. saiki4116 (Posts: 379; Member since: 31 Mar 2011)
in andhra pradesh,rice is subsized,and it costs Re 1(0.018864 U.S. dollars
36. drahmad (Posts: 480; Member since: 20 Aug 2011)
india tops world hunger charts:
4. rawdeal (Posts: 21; Member since: 22 Nov 2011)
who told u indians r dieng of starvation..this is not the india in 90.'s..we r propsperous n strong with a gdp growth next only to china...dnt bring kashmr issue to this forum....go and ask kashmiris who r the real barbarians....india hv the lrgest democracy...we tr8 every 1 equal n we dont kill ny1...indian muslims r the most happiest lot in the world...keep ut filthy thoughts with u n dnt brag ur cheap thoughts in a tech forum
5. anirudhshirsat97 (Posts: 408; Member since: 24 May 2011)
there is no need to bring kashmir into the topic you dumb jackass this is not a political website. and fyi kashmiri killings are due to some mtrfckng pakistanis you nincompoop imbecile of a being.
7. anirudhshirsat97 (Posts: 408; Member since: 24 May 2011)
sorry for my rude language. just lost control for a sec.
12. kindlefireowner (Posts: 495; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
You might want to do some research before you post.
17. myindia (Posts: 23; Member since: 30 Dec 2011)
I pity people who dont see the ground reality and instead choose to sit , and say " hey people suferin , lets just brag on the internet " ... You know the fact that the " only and the only " country which has not invaded any other country for the past 1000 years is "INDIA" ... we accommodate people dont kill ... Origin of "Buddhism,Jainism,Sikhism,Hinduism" is in INDIA .
21. harsh_732006 (Posts: 65; Member since: 15 Aug 2011)
u are an idiot...i dont see myslef and all the people around me dying with starvation..nd m not from a metro city in india..dumbass
3. rawdeal (Posts: 21; Member since: 22 Nov 2011)
@drahmad...who told u indians r dieng of starvation..this is not the india in 90.'s..we r propsperous n strong with a gdp growth next only to china...dnt bring kashmr issue to this forum....go and ask kashmiris who r the real barbarians....india hv the lrgest democracy...we tr8 every 1 equal n we dont kill ny1...indian muslims r the most happiest lot in the world...keep ut filthy thoughts with u n dnt brag ur cheap thoughts in a tech forum
15. ILikeBubbles (Posts: 525; Member since: 17 Jan 2011)
equally... lol must only be indians in india... none of the ones in America seem to do that.
31. parkwaydr (Posts: 572; Member since: 07 Sep 2011)
Equally? I watched a video on how your steel workers are treated,living under bridges in card board boxes. For some odd reason, "equal" didn't really cross my mind while I was watching.......
34. drahmad (Posts: 480; Member since: 20 Aug 2011)
'we do not kill any one' . i think you want to watch this bbc documentary
6. RamyRamz69 (Posts: 390; Member since: 12 Dec 2011)
Lmao India....do they even know how to use a smartphone?
8. JCVP111 (Posts: 1; Member since: 30 Dec 2011)
@RamyRamz69 better than you know how to use one
9. anirudhshirsat97 (Posts: 408; Member since: 24 May 2011)
pretty big words from a guy who uses an email service created by an Indian.
26. RamyRamz69 (Posts: 390; Member since: 12 Dec 2011)
I am using G-Mail which is created by an American Company and developed by an American person. First E-Mail service was created in the 1960's by MIT(American University). Get your facts right before posting :)
28. anirudhshirsat97 (Posts: 408; Member since: 24 May 2011)
you dont use hotmail? or is it a fake one i spotted in your profile. well obviously,
32. RamyRamz69 (Posts: 390; Member since: 12 Dec 2011)
Again...I used Hotmail but with the introduction of Gmail it's my main Email now :) I use Hotmail for websites that give out notifications while my real mail goes into Gmail.
35. drahmad (Posts: 480; Member since: 20 Aug 2011)
hotmail is a microsoft service. microsoft has a branch in paskitan too. so no need to boast.
13. the_s2 (Posts: 232; Member since: 22 Nov 2011)
Hello mister terrorist!! You do sound like a paki ! :D Good that in '47 we exported all the smartphone incompatible guys(incl your grandpa) beyond the desert!
25. RamyRamz69 (Posts: 390; Member since: 12 Dec 2011)
No I am a Korean :) And I find Pakistani people quiet smarter than you Indians. After all, they do not shake their heads while talking and have that weird accent you talk with. They're smart enough to talk and act properly :D
47. the_s2 (Posts: 232; Member since: 22 Nov 2011)
Yeah... smart enough into fooling you people to get a visa to your country, and go around shooting people... we are proud of our accent.. and to find pakistanis smart enough, you sure are not an ethnic korean, you are of that type which I mentioned above...
22. XiphiasGladius (Posts: 813; Member since: 21 Aug 2011)
Racist aren't we? You'll be surprised to know that even if they don't know how to use a smartphone they'd still be a hundred fold smarter than you, you IMBECILE, I feel sorry for your parents for raising a D&*($ like you.
24. RamyRamz69 (Posts: 390; Member since: 12 Dec 2011)
Suuuureeeeeeee. You Indians can't beat us Koreans if a miracle happens...And FYI, Gmail was created by Google..an American Company, not an Indian guy :) And nah, Indians are not that smart to use a smartphone. Last time I heard about Indians was when they were slave laboring Middle East..they still do right?
38. XiphiasGladius (Posts: 813; Member since: 21 Aug 2011)
FYI, I actually dont care about India in any ways wether its politics or slavery as you said, for I am not even an Indian myself. I was only pointing out to your racism as if your a superior human being, and your tonality sounds as if Indians has no right to use a smartphone. Oh so your a Korean? LMAO I don't wanna talk about it. Just to let you know I'm just a Filipino pheasant. . .
10. jove39 (Posts: 1585; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
When I read the article I thought discussion in comments will be about "...366 MHz ARM-based processor, 256 MB RAM..." but hell...its same old s**t :(
11. Ageelg (Posts: 2; Member since: 30 Dec 2011)
Exactly "366 MHz ARM-based" !!! thats like having gprs data :/
14. Magnu5 (Posts: 4; Member since: 15 Nov 2011)
When they need to call tech support, do they reach a call center in America?
16. myindia (Posts: 23; Member since: 30 Dec 2011)
i thought it was always the other way round :)
27. RamyRamz69 (Posts: 390; Member since: 12 Dec 2011)
Why would Americans need your help...last time I heard they're the ones who actually made the processors. Screens are made in Japan/Korea/China...Battery in China..you guys did nothing :)
29. anirudhshirsat97 (Posts: 408; Member since: 24 May 2011)
sorry for asking but which part of the world are you from? your ego seems to be bigger than the no of terrorists present in a neighbour of ours
33. RamyRamz69 (Posts: 390; Member since: 12 Dec 2011)
I live in USA. I am Korean. And I respect Pakistani people, they are smart and they practice their religion. They also don't shake their heads, talk with a weird accent or do slave labor for Middle Eastern countries :)
48. the_s2 (Posts: 232; Member since: 22 Nov 2011)
Hahaha... proves that you got no real roots! korean racist who lives in america who loves company of terrorists! Hail India!
50. hunted (Posts: 403; Member since: 21 Sep 2011)
Hey ramyramz, ever travelled to middle east in your life. Most of the taxi drivers & labors are from pakistan & afghan. Mostly indians & philipinos are engineers there in middle east.
18. lukasound (Posts: 152; Member since: 16 Nov 2011)
technology inovations come from countries like India... not from religions like Apple... dumbasses...
i am dissapointed by the processor, i guess they will take a while to get things done, but this is the way to bring technology to the masses and can't be compared to fancy overpriced products that we are used to.
also, it shows the scalability of Android. my Nokia 5800 had a similar processor more than 3 years ago...
good job India! :)
19. ankitkharadi (Posts: 1; Member since: 30 Dec 2011)
There are 3 versions of aakash tablet.
1) student version which has the lowest price $30 approx (because of subsidy by government). It hasn't access to android market, no gprs and 366Mhz processor combined with android 2.2.
2) commercial version which has android market, android 2.2 and gprs (SIM card holder) and Rs 500 ($10 approx) costly.
3) Ubislate 7+ which has 700Mhz cortex A8 processor and all the above facility with price of $60 and android 2.3.
23. RazaAsad (Posts: 100; Member since: 24 Nov 2011)
Its cheap and value for money. India is making progress in tech and this step by the Govt. to subsidize the tab to bring down the price to only $ 35 for poor students is remarkable. We should appreciate whats good.
I am a Pakistani Canadian and don't see India with eyes of people like drahmad, I have my own vision.
In Pakistan Government is going to distribute laptops to one lac students with following specs:
Processor: Intel Pentium Dual Core B950 HM65 chipset
Memory: 2 GB of 3DDR -III Hard Disk: 320 GB with super drive. Targus carrying case
Extended warranty of 15 months on parts as well as battery
I respect his this act towards poor students who do not afford a laptop for studies.
Unlike the developed countries, students from developing countries do not afford to buy tech and do not have fortune to be gifted a car, an expensive phones or a tab.
30. drahmad (Posts: 480; Member since: 20 Aug 2011)
I just wanted to show to people how abusive language indians use. i did not use any hateful abusive word like sht, fk, as, etc etc and you saw how they speak. just that, wat i wanted.
as a muslim, we are told not to disgrace any person any religion etc and racism is very very strictly prohibitted in islam. but i see every day on youtube, videos made by these indians in which they humilite islam and muslims. we do not do that and that is the diffrence between us and you.
39. ngo2dd (Posts: 896; Member since: 08 Jul 2011)
If you want to go there. How about all the Muslims video about them wanting go killing non-muslims. How about Muslims women having less rights then men. If you want to go there I can go there all day. FYI I am not Indian. Because jihad is very respect. If you want to be racism I can be one too.
40. drahmad (Posts: 480; Member since: 20 Aug 2011)
1. you can not blame islam because of some foolish muslims. Islam is all about peace and respecting others.
2. in no sense do women have reduced rights in islam
44. ngo2dd (Posts: 896; Member since: 08 Jul 2011)
Then say the same thing about Indian people because some video on YouTube. FYI the people of Pakistan and India came from the same group people.
41. rahulcena5565 (Posts: 57; Member since: 01 Nov 2010)
Technology has no Religion, and lets not bring Races and Castes into our mutual interest!
The Aakash is a Wonder Tab for 35$ and the fact can't be over looked.
As far as India goes, It has one of the largest markets for Tablets and Mobile Phones!
Not all of the nation's population can Afford an iPad or Samsung Galaxy Tab so the Indian institute of Technology has amalgamated an Amazing affordable Tablet which any one in the country can own!
45. surender (Posts: 1; Member since: 01 Jan 2012)
what the fu##.. what u people know about India and Indian.. India and Indian are great in this world.,.,. u bulls**t people.. you know who invented the ZERO ( 0 ) .. he was one Indian .. and who invented the plane , he was one Indian .. ,,and who did the 1st time surgery in this whole universe , he was one Indian .. and who invented the first e mail ,,, he was Indian ,, invented the HOT MAIL ... and i think u s**t people may be don't know that ,,, SANSKRIT is our 1 st and ancient languages and this languages is much suitable for COMPUTER researched by a american university ... ,,
ok now few pakistani and few korean are talking s**t here .,. tell me ,, do u world's largest army both of u ,,? ur answer is no ... // but we indian have world's 3 rd largest army .,. and do u both country have see how is MOON .. but we indian reached on the moon .. and u korean people u know ,, last year indian made a world's cheapest car .. and now we made world's cheapest tablet so now your ass going burn .. think before to speak ,, and look your stand where u stand ,, dont talk if u dont know nothing .,.,.,., I LOVE MY INDIA ,AND I HAVE PROUD TO BE AN INDIAN .,..
46. Sonofsun (Posts: 1; Member since: 02 Jan 2012)
I want phonearena team should remove the comments posted which are not relevant / racist to this area.