Sony Xperia Z3 Compact User Reviews

nghtwng68 posted on Feb 24, 2017, 3:15 PM
Posts: 108; Member since: Nov 26, 2009

FLAGSHIP DEVICE IN SMALL PACKAGE

nghtwng68 has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact is a solid and reliable mobile device. Best phone I’ve had to this point.

Owner of the Z3C almost two years and not disappointed at all in Sony’s small workhorse. A few apps that comes with the phone are fantastic like TrackID (much better than Shazam), Sony Music, SmartConnect (customize certain functions to work automatically) and LifeLog to name a few are fantastic, while the other apps are just useless. I’ve dropped the phone a hand full of times with case on it and not a scratch on device. The IP68 water and dust resistant with certification is no joke and I’ve used the phone in heavy down pours countless times. In January 2016, I was in a heavy rainfall, slipped and fell in water drenched grass with phone in hand. I was in awe as a quarter of my Z3C was covered in water. I cleaned it thoroughly and the phone didn’t skip a beat at all in operation. Works as if nothing happened to it.

Sony phones are hidden gems in the U.S. mobile market that’s dominated by Samsung and Apple.
Looking forward to the Sony Xperia XZ as my next daily driver.

Built solid and feels great in the hands with 4.6 inch screen size.
On par with other flagship devices.
Great and works flawlessly. Just wish the volume could be a little louder when outside. Speaker phone could be louder as well.
Chrome browser is excellent. With a 100 tabs open as once, the browser doesn’t skip a beat with additional tabs still being created.
Excels with Smartconnect, Bluetooth, camera, NFC, music and all other features work flawlessly.
Takes very good and sharp photos, but could be better overall. Camera loads quickly, even when locked with single press of stand alone camera button. Interface is easy to use with a simple swipe up and down to toggle, the camera, video and manual camera functions.
The speed and responsiveness of the interface is fluid, fast and very smooth. Doesn’t skip at all with any finger gesture.
Excels with easy to use and smart interface features. Pocket size for easy mobility, battery is a beast, double tap to turn on the phone on is awesome. The Z3C is just one solid device.
Good, but could be better. The dictionary doesn’t remember the words I’ve typed in countless times, so I have to re-type them. Not sure why that happens.
LCD screen is good, but wish it was a tad brighter like the Samsung OLED displays. Still a good screen and very visible in sunlight.
Battery is awesome. Will get you through a day easy, even with heavy usage. In 2 years of everyday usage, only a couple of times I’ve run into single digit battery power because I didn’t charge it that entire day.

Pros

• Fluid interface speed
  • Awesome size
  • User friendly operation
  • Great battery
  • Good camera
  • Fast charging
  • IP68 water and dust resistant

Cons

• Memory/SIM card slot flaps
  • Screen could be brighter
  • Overall audio volume could be louder
  • No finger print scanner

nghtwng68 alternatives:

TheOriginal posted on Dec 19, 2015, 4:33 PM
Posts: 49; Member since: Oct 28, 2015

Excellent compact phone with minor flaws

TheOriginal has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

Ill get the negatives out of the way: fit in finish appear excellent at first but after a bit I noticed that on my device the camera lense was not level and around the corners the curve of the front and rear glass did not quite meet the same curve of the frame- stuff was always getting stuck in there. Also the flaps are a little fiddly and can become loose if used too much, i sprang quickly for a magnetic charger.
Other than that there is an issue that all xperias have with bluetooth: unless you connect it a certain way then the bluetooth volume setting will be stuck on max, the only option is to turn it down using the peripheral itself this is extremely annoying. other than that the camera and screen are good but could have been better.
But I could go on for days about what is positive, instead of doing that though Ill just say that this is the best performing phone ive had, it is extremely comfortable to use, and i never get tired of sony's timeless and classy design language.

IF YOU DONT WANT A BIG PHONE THEN YOU SHOULD GET THIS PHONE.

Pros

• design
  • performance
  • comfort
  • light interface with minimal bloat
  • good reception and call quality
  • excellent battery

Cons

• minor fit and finish issues
  • camera and screen while good could be better
  • bluetooth software issue
  • lack of availability and advertising in the US

tx2ma posted on Jul 29, 2015, 10:59 PM
Posts: 10; Member since: Sep 15, 2012

What I've been looking for all along

tx2ma has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

After owning a LG G2 for 1.5 years, I loved the performance and camera of that phone, but was tired of the huge size. Unfortunately, for those of us who want a premium phone option with a smaller size, there aren't many options. Really, the Z3 Compact is it. That said, I'm glad the Z3 Compact is a great phone. Other than the great size, I especially like the Sony UI. It is cohesive and good looking - not cartoon-ey like the LG was. The camera isn't quite up to the G2's, mostly when it comes to motion blur, as the LG has optical stability control whereas the Sony does not.

I have not had an issue finding cases or accessories for this phone - eBay has a bunch of reasonable options. And while the rear glass may be prone to scratching, a case would prevent that. I don't know how so many people break or crack their smart phones - of the 6 or so I've owned, I've never had a cracked screen or any major scratches.

Solid as a rock! Don't particularly like the tabs that cover various ports, but that's the tradeoff for a water and dust-resistant unit.
Run of the mill reception. The Z3 Compact has more variation in reception than my LG G2 did, using the same carrier and in the same location.
Tons of multimedia options, from built-in upload to YouTube, to a bunch of camera tools.
Good but not great. I get a good deal of motion blur, and low light shots typically have a yellowish hue.
Fast and coherent UI.
Perfect size for daily use. Great all-around phone.
The stock keyboard is surprisingly good, with a few nice customization options
Beautiful display - nice color, good detail. The resolution is not a problem on a screen this size.
Outstanding battery life - easily lasts 1.5-2 days with normal use.

Pros

• Build quality
  • Coherent and attractive UI
  • Tons of multimedia options
  • Perfect size
  • Good stock keyboard
  • Great battery life

Cons

• Camera is good but not great
  • Voice and data reception is finicky

tx2ma alternatives:

kevintangi posted on Jul 12, 2015, 11:24 AM
Posts: 6; Member since: Oct 31, 2012

The phone I needed

kevintangi has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

This phone covers all the edges, perfect for those who feels 5 inch phones are too big for your hands. If you need an all-rounder phone with a price tag half of the iPhones', this phone is definitely for you. Did I mention that it boasts 2 days of battery life in standard usage and up to 4 days on STAMINA mode?

Materials used are just glass and plastic (though some sites wrote that it has metal chassis inside). microUSB slot is covered by a flap. I recommend to buuy a separate magnetic charger plug
Sounds are clear. Excellent.
Chrome browser is just great
Despite the screens' inaccuracies, the front facing speaker is just perfectly placed. The screen can also get very dim, which is nice when you're watching in the darkness
Actually main camera is pretty decent. But front facing camera just not as good as on the back
With Android 5.0.2, this phone runs just fine
I am neither a big fan of on screen keyboards, nor predictive text. However, the Xperia Keyboard app is quite nice for me.
I have to admit the display's neither the best in the market right now, nor the most accurate. But viewing angles are great and it can get very bright also
For 50% brightness, mobile data and WiFi on for all of the time (STAMINA mode OFF), I still left with 40% battery life at the end of the day (4 hours of screen on time). I use it for instant messaging apps such as LINE and Whatsapp, and also an hour of online gaming like ClashOfClans and a couple hours of web browsing. Are you sure that's not enough for you?

Pros

• AMAZING Battery life
  • Screen is bright, viewing angles are great
  • Call quality is just unmatched
  • Main camera is decent
  • Dedicated camera button
  • Front facing speakers

Cons

• On screen navigation buttons might not be everyone's favorite
  • Glass on back scratches easily
  • Flaps covering microUSB slot (go get magnetic charger)
  • Front camera is just OK
  • Display isn't very accurate. But for me it's fine

kevintangi alternatives:

ivanprskalo posted on May 12, 2015, 4:27 AM
Posts: 124; Member since: Dec 09, 2010

Fantastic and reliable smartphone!

ivanprskalo has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

I have this phone for 10 months, and I use it along side Sony Xperia Z3 (regular sized), LG G3, Samsung Galaxy Note II, LG G2, iPhone 6, HTC Eye and Lumia 1020.
This little beast manage to impress me over and over again. It has more strong sides than any on above mentioned phones and I use it as my primary phone (daily driver).
It can run 6 Cycle (fitness) tracking apps simultaneously for 6 straight hours and it is still far from surrender. As I said in the title: it is reliable, you can lean on it, count on fact that this phone can do whatever you throw at it.
Sometimes heats a bit during intensive 3d games like Injustice Gods among us, but every phone does that when playing this game.
I recommend this phone to everyone.

This phone is built like a tank, it is pleasant to hold it in hand, no gaps no squicky sounds, just sturdiness. I feel this phone can break windshield glass of a car if thrown at it... Plastic around the sides is also good thing, it is more resilient material. I have it for half a year and it is without any scratches. Only thing I notice is wear out of oleophobic coating on the screen because I played Injustice: Gods among us very much on it... But that is not visible 99% of time, only in speci
On par with the best. Gets 3g when my other phones struggle (like LG G3 for example).
Talking on it is nice, very dependable on other side.. Sometimes too loud, but you can turn volume down at any time... Sometimes too quiet, but that is other sides blame...
Fast, good, no problems here, it does what is supposed to do: blazing speeds trough web like thunder trough sky..
Excels in this category..
Tad behind top notch phones like Note 3, 4, LG G2 G3, iPhone 6... But not so far away. When there is plenty of light results are great, low light also good. Only when HDR conditions are on sight there this camera struggles.. there, and sometimes lacks details.. Those are software flaws, not camera sensor flaws, so Sony needs to work more on their image processing software.
speed of light.
This is where this phone excels mostly.. It is so usable, so easy to use - user friendly.. Dimensions are just right. Screen size to. Pocketability is ensured. And battery lasts and lasts so no worries there... This is the phone man can rely on! That is important.
I had some problems to accommodate on increased screen sensitivity when typing. Especially with third party keyboard like Swiftkey (which is my main keyboard) Sonys keyboard is kinda nice but I am very addicted to Swiftkey...
Bit on a smallish side but still enough for reading, browsing web, seeing pictures and all stuff.. Bright and vivid enough when needed, crisp although 720p but that is plenty pixels for 4.6 screen.. I just wish there are capacitive buttons so that on screen buttons don't take my precious screen estate... (Who invented on screen buttons is idiot imo)
Strong side of this phone. Really it should be 11 points for this category. Since I got this I forgot the days when battery was issue on smartphones.

Pros

• Quality of build, water and dust proof.. almost life proof.
  • Battery life is amazing, spoiling.. it can ruin you for other phones..
  • Dimensions are just right.
  • Waterproofing helps when outside (or on workout)
  • Amazing in everydays usage.
  • Front facing speakers.
  • Dedicated camera button is nice thing to have, hod it and camera launches from locked phone.

Cons

• Somewhat feeble loudspeakers.. but they're on front.
  • HDR mode of camera is not strong side. better is shot manual mode.
  • Lollipop 5.0 isn't so good so far, I liked KitKat better. (imo 4.3 was greatest version of android, so take this with a grain of salt.)

ivanprskalo alternatives:

buccob posted on Mar 23, 2015, 12:54 PM
Posts: 2952; Member since: Jun 19, 2012

I was hesitant of buying, but I am glad I did. (updated)

buccob has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

I live in a country where the currency is strictly controlled by the government thus we have to be really careful before spending our extremely hard earn money on foreign devices (there are no cellphone imports anymore). Having said that I studied A LOT of the phones offered in 2014 since I was in need of a new device, my old Xperia Acro S (with over 2 years of use) lost some of its functions due to a failure of the Accelerometer/Gyro/Compass sensor. So I wanted to upgrade to a phone that also lasted at least another 2 years.

My needs were:
- at least a 4.3" screen and up to 5", but...
- max dimensions of around 130x66 (mm)...
- with great battery life (I don't care if thickness goes up to 12mm)...
- a screen with at least 300ppi...
- a decent camera for everyday use. and a front facing camera of at least 1 MP)...
- at least 16GB of internal memory... WITH microSD slot.
- and WATERPROOF.

Even if I ignore waterproofing, using GSMArena's Phone Finder tool, it only showed me 2 results!!! (Try it yourself, your needs may vary, of course)

One is Z1 Compact, and the other is the Z3 Compact.

I wanted to get the newest because I will take advantage of the changes made. (bigger screen, better battery life, stereo speaker, better camera, etc....) but the Z1C is a GREAT alternative for someone trying to get something cheaper and I think I will get exactly that one to my wife, since she will not be using it the way I do.

This is the best Normal size phone at this moment, specially since...

It really feels solid in hand in spite the questionable materials used (I really dislike having a glass backside). UPDATE: I dropped my device while getting out of a truck, and it fell from my lap to concrete. I have a Ringke Fusion case and the phone is still in perfect conditions.
Great reception so far. Also WiFi seems to be a lot better than my previous phone, regarding range. In fact, the WiFi antenna works better than the one on my Laptop (obviously because of newer tech)
Works great so far, no complains from both sides of the call and the earpiece used is very loud. First time in years that I actually have to turn down the call volume. On speakerphone is a bit quiet (only 1 speaker is used), but still good enough
Walkman, Movies and Album apps have been greatly improved, coming from older versions on JellyBean... Movies now are able to show subtitles and the customization is nice. You can also pinch to zoom and pan in videos. Walkman, even though I really liked the old simplistic version, the new one has grown in me, and it really has great features that easily out weight the cons. You can Queue songs easier than before, the current Playing list has an easier access, you can directly go to an Artist from a song, it has folder support, etc.
It really is a great camera. The interface takes a little while getting used to (even coming from an older Xperia), but after learning a little, it is fantastic. The available Modes are a lot and fun (specially when you have a children), and you can get even more. I compared image quality at night and it surpassed an iPhone 6 from a relative. The iPhone is better at front facing pictures, not that I care much about that. Features that differenciate it from the rest are High Sensitivity ISO (for low light pics that flash is not used, or can't be used)... and Lossless Zoom, you get a full 8MP crop when zooming in to the first step (a bit noisy but definitely better than the rest)
It flies. And the 2GB of RAM really help keeping almost every app that I use active in the background, allowing me to come back to it instantly and saving battery life by not using CPU.
For me is the perfect size, with awesome features and excellent battery life. No hiccups so far. The software has the right amount of features without feeling cluttered, and the apps that came pre-installed with mine can be easily uninstalled or disabled. I even got rid of FB. I love the Tap to Wake function, even though it occasionally triggers on my pants pocket, I keep it on because it works great for having the phone on a dock or on my Car Stereo (XSP-N1BT) which is a dock itself.
On my old device I got annoyed by Xperia's Keyboard... it was ok but I ended up getting Google's Keyboard.... HOWEVER on this device the Keyboard has been improved with multiple languages recognition and predictive typing, perfect for my needs since I write in both English and Spanish frequently... So far I have no needs for a different Keyboard.
I was quite happy with my old 720p on my Xperia Acro S in spite of bad viewing angles.... and this Display is better in every way (except maybe accuracy). Brightness is better, vibrancy is better, IPS works great at giving excellent viewing angles... and it has one of the fastest Touch Response ever on a phone, only surpassed by the HTC One M8 at the moment.
Just go and ready every review out there... This thing shattered battery life records for this type of device. Consistently over 5 hours of Screen-On time... with mix use of multimedia, games and internet. Sometimes I get a little over 7 hours... All of this while keeping location on, Google Now, Lifelog, etc. active.

Pros

• Battery Life (even though I can't put it down)
  • Camera is awesome
  • Great combo of CPU/GPU - Display Res - Battery
  • Eyelet for Wrist Straps or Lanyards. (Now a rare find in phones)
  • Price. (a good 100-150$ less than its direct rivals. iPhone 6 / Galaxy Alpha)
  • Stereo Speakers. Even though they sound a bit muffled, they deliver bass that was inaudible on my other devices.
  • Waterproof. I already tested on the sink, shower, pool and on the ocean (rinse with fresh water after) and works GREAT

Cons

• Glass design (I actually wished the went with Z1 Compact plastic design)

buccob alternatives:

SuperMaoriBro posted on Jan 04, 2015, 5:56 PM
Posts: 533; Member since: Jun 23, 2012

Pocket Rocket with insane battery life

SuperMaoriBro has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

Battery life is remarkable. On my third day of using it without charging, with 6.5hrs of screen on time, I still had 34% battery life left and I wasn't even using ultra stamina mode. My Samsung Galaxy's would be at 30% at the end of the 1st day :/

I was worried about only having an HD 319ppi screen, coming from 1080p 440ppi screens, but I needn't of worried, the difference is minimal and you have to be looking very closely to spot the difference.

Camera is excellent, and I'm suprised with how much more it can see in low light compared to other smartphones

Design is nice, even my iPhone weilding friends like it a lot.

In a word this phone is awesome!

If you are after a small high end phone then look no further, I have been a huge fan of Samsung in the past, but this device easily outdoes the Galaxy Alpha IMHO.

Pros

• insane battery life
  • excellent camera

Cons

• speakers are weak and muffled

jhattara posted on Dec 09, 2014, 7:07 AM
Posts: 37; Member since: Feb 27, 2012

Perfection in 4.6 inches

jhattara has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

Ever since I bought my original Asus Padfone I had watched in horror as the size of premium Android phones got bigger and bigger. But then came Sony with their Z1 Compact. Today Z3 Compact is really without a rival. There is exactly 0 phones competing with them in the niche of small sized premium phones.

First time I have a phone that has a camera that works well in all light conditions. If you can see around the flash is not really needed for closeup shots.
Battery life is comparable to Asus Padfone with the tablet dock.

Pros

• Small size
  • Excellent battery life
  • Excellent camera

Cons

No Cons

giulianoviana posted on Jun 12, 2017, 1:24 PM
Posts: 0; Member since: May 16, 2015

A good rival to Iphone 8 (rooted project)

giulianoviana has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

I chose the kitkat because is lighter, i don't unlock the bootloader, camera use the original code and i can work with a serious desing without loses in aparence. All the apps i need works well on KitKat.
With root, xposed, greenify, smart radio, smart network, only the extended function on stamina (no effect in networks, in this case) and using a heavy live wallpaper (magic fluids), i do more than 6 hours with full brigth and some wifi (not hollywoods films in netflix). No changes in services, .build, energy manager, etc. With notifications.
Knockcode and duble tap to wakeup, sequence to unlock in volume (like finger detection)
Extra minimalistic desing with ADW launcher (all transparent, 3 buttons, home - battery cicle - go to apps - selection -, only caller and messenger apps on the 2 pages, 1st - PowerAmp transparent widget, 2nd - transparent simple analog clock.
Others modules to a perfect desing with transparences, usuability, etc.
Magnetic cable, seals doors.
Wifi files transmission.
cruzerlite case sanded to waterproff secure
four days with smart use, 4 hours of screen on.
16Mp in 16:9 back camera.
Specialy molded 360º usability, with the simetrical desing of the device. All apps works with a personal configuration to well usability. (yes, good work)

Extra: Navi Fairy theme

Ocarina of Time Navi theme ring
Magic Fluids like Navi
Navi art with "Hey, Listen" in lock screen
Possible "Ok, Navi" command to google seach, but i preffer more battery!

my channel:

Good Camera without bounce More than 70% is screen Simetrical Desing Magnetic conector is a solution to wp Size well for mans Bad Plastic camera Lens need a good case protection Plastic Body and tecnoogies turns flagile than others.
With plastic desing, very good reception. only bluetooth can be a realy stronger today
Perfect like huge number of devices.
I be happy with 3G+ and wifi, all works fast. 4g if you like.
works perfect and, not with the best bases, but stereo speackers to camp day. P2 connection, i use PowerAmp player to mono mixing, if i want.
Goods: Well results, only ok in darkness 4K BC resolution (rec) Full HD FC resolution (rec) 16MP 16:9 in shots (stock keys) Full HD + HDR + digital stability in recs Bad: Can be better in darkness Can have more options in manual mode.
Fully moded, super speed, low ram demand (4.4.4)
two days with good use four days with smart use More than 14 days in sb WP good camera button 360º moded interface to be a new experience Good concept to size in multtask with small apps. When you press the recent apps virtual buton more than 1 sec, chang to recent apk in background.
Good swipe, updates to dicionary, perfect size to one hand, is possible change the tall by stock options. Well desing.
Good: colors Retina display DPI good Brigth Perfect size Bad: Black is ligther than SAMOLED
Only worse than LG F3 P655. But 10/10.

• Desing 360º
  • WaterProff

Cons

• Plastic Construction
  • Not Super Amoled.

giulianoviana alternatives:

saopofmarseille posted on Feb 18, 2016, 6:53 PM
Posts: 2; Member since: Jan 29, 2016

TAKE CARE OF IT = IT'S A JEWEL.

saopofmarseille has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

BIG BEAST, LONG LIFE BIG BEAST FRAGILE PHONE.
This phone is a beast. Just enjoy it and take care of it with a case, and with love.
I put a strap because there's a better handle with it (not only for keeping the phone safe around the wrist, but also for handling it : it's higher to see and manipulate with an easy tense-trick handeling). And it's the most "BIG" compact phone you've ever grab in your hands. (Your one hand*). You can feel it, it's not so heavy, not very big, it is as fast and as cute as a bird. You can drive spaceships on it, and u can wait for your mother's call for ten days.

Pros

• That battery life is the future
  • Sooooo good looking phone
  • Screen to body ratio
  • Magnetic charging dock option
  • The size
  • Sony's camera modes & physic shutter button
  • Battery is still 89 per cent
  • Still 89 per cent

Cons

• Slippy body
  • Fragile
  • Loose side buttons
  • No gorilla glass (I thiink), but scratch proof

sfdsddsfds posted on Aug 16, 2015, 10:31 PM
Posts: 0; Member since: Aug 16, 2015

Wont buy again

sfdsddsfds has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

Too Fragile - Carrier and Sony have too much crap apps & not worth it.
Glass back prone to shattering and Sony Warranty not up to task - see reviews at whirlpooldotnetdotau - came from an iPhone but would never go back to apple.

Glass back shatters easily Australian repairer very dodgy accornding to reviews
missed calls - notified by TXT messages
Average quality
Sometimes glitchy (4.4 & 5.1)
Not too bad

Pros

• Great battery life

Cons

• For a waterproof phone you would expect it to be a lot more sturdy
  • Cant tap on a address in a TXT & open up G Maps (OS issue)

Sanadsoud posted on Jul 16, 2015, 5:23 PM
Posts: 0; Member since: Jul 02, 2015

Nice phone *_*

Sanadsoud has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

Very nice phone with green color there is little accessory for it fit for student or for young coz of the color the good camera and the resistance of water and very good battery tow way of charging and micro hd usb with thorw function its Wonderfull

Good quality and lovly color
The iphone 6 more better
Very good internet websiting
Rather good coz of 4.6 screen
Good camera good foucs and color
Amazy speed
Fit to my evry day usage
Not good enought coz of bad keyboard
Very good
Look good with 2600 m a

Pros

• Fit for my evry day use

Cons

• Low call quality

Eatingsteak posted on Jul 14, 2015, 4:08 PM
Posts: 0; Member since: Jul 14, 2015

Everything You Could Ask for - Except Durability

Eatingsteak has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

I was looking for a compact phone with some good stats - excellent battery life, lots of storage, and a great camera - and this phone nailed it. I'm a former iphone user, and really enjoyed the size and physical look & feel of the device. My next phone was a Galaxy S4 Mini, which was light and slim, but was woefully underpowered and had a dumpy camera.

The Xperia Z3 Compact blew all my expectations out of the water. It packs a punch, excels at games, and has an SD port for some huge storage capability. The 20mp camera is absolutely best in class. The battery lasts FOREVER.

But it is VERY prone to breaking. Very.

I bought an "oops I dropped it" warranty - because I'm pretty hard on my gizmos.

And it's a good thing I did, because I'd only owned the phone for about a month when it came in handy.

I "dropped" my phone - onto my belt buckle. I can barely use the word 'dropped' here because the phone only fell about 2" (yes, two inches) onto my lap. I didn't think it would be possible to break a phone from such a short drop, but alas. Crack. The top 1/4 of my touchscreen was unusable.

I got a replacement in the mail. And a case - for sure a case. About two months later, I dropped it onto concrete from about waist height (ouch). The screen was completely shattered, despite being padded from the fall. I've seen iphones and samsung galaxies take many worse a tumble, with no case, and live to tell the tale.

Many users report their screens cracking from thermal stress...

Screen VERY prone to cracking. And shattering. And any crack will cause the touch reception to not work. Very flimsy
Hard to measure - seems to get as good reception as my carrier can give it
Many people have trouble hearing me through the standard (bottom) microphone on phone calls. Problem is alleviated switching to speakerphone (top mic)
8gigs internal is pretty "eh/bleh", especially with the bloat that Sony loads it with, but room for a 128gb expansion card more than makes up for it
Seriously best in class. Has a muscular 20megapixel camera that takes beautiful pictures of just about anything
Not great / not terrible, but not especially fast
Slim & light design, waterproof-ness, and magnetic chargers & dock make this an AWESOME pick day to day
Pretty good I guess / nothing special
Very sharp, bright and clear. It just can't get a 10 here, on account of being so flimsy
WOW, another best in class. Activate Stamina Mode, and you can easilly get 36 hours off of a charge. And it charges quickly. A clear winner in this category

Pros

• Fast
  • Waterproof

• Cracking

Yikes posted on Jun 11, 2015, 8:07 AM
Posts: 0; Member since: Jun 11, 2015

Stuffed in four months

Yikes has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

Got this phone for my daughter at Xmas, impressed with its waterproofing, impact resistance, battery life, camera. All these features have been a huge disappointment. Couldn't find a case for it and so it got scratched and bumped. Camera lens no longer useable, the side panel covering the port came loose (hnags on with a small silcon thread) rendering the phone no longer waterproof. Battery life has been disappointing. Today my daughter dropped it on its corner and shattered the glass. $300 to repair. No thanks.

randomguy posted on May 10, 2015, 3:21 AM
Posts: 1; Member since: May 03, 2014

love it!

randomguy has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

This phone is just great, had no issues at all(Battery life,speed,connectivity,camera,outdoor visibility,display etc)
it's just that the back got many scratches outta no where and i cant find any covers for it from where i live!

back part isnt glass its more like scratch welcoming plastic!

Pros

• awesome display
  • awesome camera
  • awesome speed

Cons

• build quality

toddicus13 posted on May 06, 2015, 9:55 AM
Posts: 0; Member since: May 06, 2015

Great specs, but has its faults

toddicus13 has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

I was very excited to get such a high-spec phone under 5" with great battery life, a great camera...and waterproof!

Everything was going as expected for the first two months—aside from a lack of decent cases, tricky one-handed use due to the tiny bevel, and a finnicky camera that didn't shoot as well as my old S3—then the magnetic charging port came loose and fell out. FYI, having to charge it otherwise by taking off the case then peeling the waterproof strip down everyday is bad news...just like Sony's warranty: They wanted me to ship the phone to one of their two "repair locations" for an estimated three weeks. When I asked about a loaner phone since it was my primary means for communication they said they couldn't help, but AT&T might (they didn't).

Pros

• Size (4.6" display)
  • Camera quality and options (up to 4k)
  • Waterproof & rugged (IP 68 cert)
  • CPU speed (Quad core, 2.5 GHz, Krait 400)
  • Price est.$450-500 unlocked

Cons

• 720p (though helps battery life)
  • Clunky camera software
  • Must pay full price
  • Availability (AT&T & T-Mobile)
  • Cheaply sealed components that don't last (magnetic charging port)

mockingjay74 posted on Apr 07, 2015, 9:39 PM
Posts: 0; Member since: Apr 07, 2015

less than a week, it experienced sudden death

mockingjay74 has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

i am xperia z fans, using it since Z and upgrading to next level up until now, and my experience with z3 compact is unbelievable, within 4 days it suddendly turned off without warning, and i try practically everything to turn it back on, now it been sent to service centre for repair. maybe im just unlucky or else, i dont know, but from my experience using Z, Z1, Z2 and Z3 i never feel dissapointed, not to obvious different phone, but the performance getiing better and better.

the protective flap for sim card sometimes pop out by it self

the_original_ikshad posted on Mar 27, 2015, 2:10 PM
Posts: 0; Member since: Mar 22, 2015

a little pocket bomb

the_original_ikshad has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

this phone is a little powerhouse, i love the build, fantastic pictures, very easy in the hand, dat battery doe, lightening quick.
love the gaming experience good display and dual front facing stereo speakers just makes the experience better all this for a great price.

plus i had too much fun with the waterproofing

Pros

• great display
  • small dimensions
  • fast
  • light weight
  • front facing speaker
  • waterproof

Cons

No Cons

Immly posted on Nov 12, 2014, 7:07 AM
Posts: 0; Member since: Nov 12, 2014

Small but powerful

Immly has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I've recently upgraded to this phone from the Xperia Z. I have to say, the first thing you notice is the speed upgrade - the quad core processor makes a huge difference to everyday usage. The UI is still slick and the whole experience is very fluid.

Sony have, for the most part, packed in all of the features you would expect on a bigger premium smartphone without compromising. Of course there had to be some differences and these are:

* The screen is 720p - this isn't a huge issue since the phone is much smaller, however if you're used to a retina display or other pixel dense display, you will notice the difference.

* There is 2GB RAM - The full size Xperia Z3 has 3GB RAM. Not a huge deal and to be honest I have not yet noticed any issues with too many apps running. I mention it because if this is a phone you will be wed to for the next 2 years, you may want to consider this. Personally, being a heavy user - this was the one thing that I was very unsure of. So far so good.

With the above said, I have to hand it to Sony. To be able to make a phone which packs all of the punch of the Z3 with only those 2 caveats...Hats off.

All in all, if you want a phone with an insane 20MP camera, the ability to shoot video in 4K, and all of the build quality of a premium smartphone - but just don't want the huge screen size, this is perfect for you!

The phone feels like a premium product, it has a nice weight to it. Not a 10 because there have been reports that the flaps deteriorate over time which can affect the IP rating. However, overall I have no complaints.
Reception is as good as wherever carriers have actually got signal.
The 20 MP camera really does shine, many different camera apps also come as default.
The quad core processor makes a massive difference over the older Z series phones. Sony's UI is slick and quite close to the original.
The phone comes with the google keyboard which I firmly believe is the best, most responsive keyboard (it needs to be changed to the default keyboard).
A lovely display size, fantastic screen/body ratio. The only thing letting it down is that it is 720p. On a smaller phone it doesn't matter so much - but the pixel density difference is still noticeable so it isn't a 10.
For the size of the phone, the battery is excellent. With Stamina mode, the battery life is absolutely fantastic.

Pros

• Very slick design
  • Excellent camera
  • Small, but powerful

Cons

• Flaps may deteriorate over time (not confirmed)
  • Display is only 720p

Immly alternatives:

bobi_n posted on Nov 09, 2014, 12:37 AM
Posts: 2; Member since: Oct 24, 2014

nice phone

bobi_n has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

The phones design is pretty good, more compact and also thicker so somewhat easy handling. Battery life is exellent- 4 days in Stamina mode,call quality is very good- loud and clear, great outdoor visibility,

Pros

• Exellent battery life
  • Very good call quality
  • Nice camera
  • good price

Cons

No Cons