Asus ZenFone 3 Zoom User Reviews

ErikB1962 posted on Apr 04, 2018, 2:30 PM
Posts: 1; Member since: Sep 30, 2014

ASUS Zenfone 3 Zoom -

ErikB1962 has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

I'm writing this review mostly because I strongly disagree with the 7.1 rating that PhoneArena.com's reviewers gave it. Their website claims that their ratings are all based on the class of each phone. This phone sells for ~$300 US. That is at the low end of midrange and not far above budget. This phone's main design and selling points are battery life and camera quality and I can tell you first hand that in those areas it is comparable or better than any flagship phone costing as much as three times its price.
If I had my pick of any phone on the market right now but had to keep and use whatever I picked, I'd pick this phone.
Of course I'd pick a $1,000+ phone, sell it, and buy one of these for $300 if that was an option. The only problem would be what to do with the extra $700...

The phone looks and feels in the hand like an iPhone Plus (6,7, or 8). Except... This is the first cell phone I've ever broken. It was in the gel case that it came with (not very protective) and had a tempered glass screen protector on. Had to send to ASUS for repair. Still, I can't take more than a point away since any phone can break if dropped.
LTE band 12 missing is a near deal-breaker for T-Mobile users. AT&T users should be fine.
As clear as I've ever had on any phone.
This seemed like the right place to note that ASUS opted to not support 5ghz WiFi. Limited to 2.4ghz only. Not a big deal but those that want the fastest Internet access will be disappointed. For what it's worth 2.4ghz is more than fast enough for me and anything I do on it.
Extra loud speaker with Outdoor Mode to make it louder still. dts X equalizer functionality High quality and sound from the included earphones
Best camera ever? Probably not. Better than anything else in its class, absolutely. There are some great videos on Youtube showing this camera holding up to Samsung and Apple flagships. I haven't seen the issues PhoneArena mentioned with the UI on the camera. I think they reviewed an older software version that is now updated OTA. The 2.3x Optical zoom is fantastic and allows up to 12x digital zoom.
Much like the camera, this phone's UI speed is as good or better than anything else in its class. A faster CPU might make apps open half a second faster, but it would also drain the battery faster all day. No thanks.
This would have been a 10 if the phone had NFC/Android Pay. I wouldn't personally use it, but I know many other people will not be happy it is missing.
The included keyboard worked great and had some copy/paste features missing from stock Android keyboards. I switched to stock Android keyboard anyway just because it is what I was used to.
This display is beautiful and the 1920x1080 resolution is in my opinion the highest for cell phone displays that makes sense. Most (maybe all) people can't see the improvement of anything higher but the higher the resolution the more power it uses. I did have drop this rating from a 10 to a 9 here as a result of the first screen not being able to survive a 24"-30" drop. The problem some users have mentioned about a white line on the display appears to have been resolved.
The battery on these things just won't die! Start the day 100% 10-20 minutes reading news apps 30 min drive with GPS and music 60 minutes Netflix 30 min drive with GPS and music ~50 emails a day ~50 texts a day 10-30 minutes voice calls 10-20 more minutes reading news apps 30 minutes gaming (1010 or Cell Connect usually battery pigs) NEVER gone below 30% battery left in a day. USUALLY has over 60% left at end of day. WOW

Pros

• INCREDIBLE Battery Life (better than flagship class phones)
  • INCREDIBLE Camera with 2.3x zoom
  • Great Value at ~$300 US
  • Will get Android Oreo 8.x
  • FM Radio included

Cons

• No NFC / Android Pay
  • No Band 12 LTE (only an issue for Tmobile)
  • No 5ghz WiFi (just 2.4ghz)
  • No Qi Wireless charging built in (can be added)