Essential Phone and its camera get important software updates
One of the worst things about the Essential Phone, its camera has finally received a software update that's supposed to bring it on par with other flagship snappers. The speed and the quality of the pictures taken with the Essential Phone's camera should be improved in the latest update, as the US company indicates in a blog post.
Before installing the Camera update, you first must install the latest system build (NMI81C), which adds “improved performance and bug fixes.” It's a rather small download as the update weighs in at 72MB.
After installing the Essential Phone update, you're clear to update the phone's camera as well. Simply search Google Play for the Camera app update and install the latest version. Here are all the changes included as confirmed by Essential:
- Boosted capture speed in regular and low light to below 1 second (over 40% faster);
- Improved brightness and performance in low-light;
- Spatial sound when shooting in 360 (supported on device, Facebook, and YouTube);
- Use volume up/down keys as shutter buttons in 360 mode;
- Countdown timer when in 360 camera mode;
- Bug fixes and overall reliability improvements.
According to Essential, more improvements for the camera are in the works, such as HDR enhancements, live 360 streaming to Facebook and Periscope, Portrait Mode and Pro Mode. These new features will be added to the Essential Camera via Google Play.