Windows Phone has about 80% of the top 25 paid and free iOS apps
The guys from WMPoweruser are keeping a close eye on the WP Store's progress, and have now created a table showing exactly which of the top 25 free and paid apps in the iOS App Store are also present in the Windows Phone Store. By the looks of it, most of the apps are also available on Windows Phone, with some of the notable exceptions being Instagram, Google Earth, Tiny Wings and Minecraft: Pocket Edition. The source reckons that Windows Phone's app catalog will reach those of iOS and Android within a year, but that forecast seems too unlikely to us.
If we're talking about the essential applications, then maybe yes, but the App Store and Google Play are homes to an enormous variety of applications and content that's been generated over the years. They are so big (about 800 000 apps and games each) that it'll take more than a year and a bunch of decent Lumia models to establish such an economy.
1. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3022; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
All the "WP has no app" Trolls can RIP!!
10. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Not RIP, it should be NIP, right?
13. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Well said, Wp8 has no apps and games™
19. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3022; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
Are you trying to, like, bond with me?
42. TheBitterTruth (unregistered)
Is PA dead or what? Why dont you block such craps?
Probably because he is trolling WP? eh?
26. poopApple (banned) (Posts: 38; Member since: 12 Apr 2013)
though wp8 looks awsm but there are game compatibility issues with budget wp8 phones (nokia 520,620,720)....none of the cool games like asphalt 7, temple run, modern combat etc. are compatible.
28. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3022; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
There will always be compatibility issues with every budget phone regardless of the make and OS.
37. akki20892 (Posts: 3611; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
i'm sure WP will hit 100% in some short time.....!!! i bet ya
2. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Finally after a very Looooooooooooooooooooong time™
32. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4326; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
Hey TROLL it has to start somewhere. I knew WP8 would gain some apps because their OS is better than iOS. Shoot iOS is so bad that even Black Berry's latest OS is WAY better than iOS! lol
33. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3022; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
Uh oh, the man's wife got an iPhone...shh.
40. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4102; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
Though I don't necessarily like WP, I would much rather go back to WP than I would iOS. If I had the choice between BB10, iOS, and WP8, I would definitely choose BB10.
If Apple doesn't release something amazing with iOS 7 next month at WWDC, they'll be in trouble. People are tired of the same repetitive and bland look.
3. husfus (Posts: 62; Member since: 21 Oct 2012)
Google Earth & GPS Drive are irrelevant here, better alternatives are available
4. kaliil10 (Posts: 145; Member since: 16 May 2012)
Microsoft is doing everything possible to make wp-store competable against iOS and Android
6. buccob (Posts: 1539; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
Most of the times, GREAT apps, truly remarkable apps are not the most popular...
And even if is subjective, people can't deny the usefulness or power of such apps... like:
- Llama (Llama is a Location Aware Mobile App). Kinda like Tasker but FREE
- Gmote: this one goes beyond making your Android a mouse for your PC, and also gives you a remote for media and PPTs, as well as Streaming files from your PC to your Phone!
- MP3dit: lets you edit your songs tags by batch, and also finds Album art... very useful
- Kingsoft Office: is one of the most complete, full featured, office solutions out there, and its free...
As for games well...
- Apparatus is an Android exclusive and like no other you will find... it is a gem and lets you develop your creativity to the max...
44. -box- (Posts: 3857; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
PC Remote for WP lets you have full control over any connected computer. I use it all the time for remote diagnostics for customers' systems.
45. buccob (Posts: 1539; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
It seems to be a wonderful app too... I wasn't pointing out the lack of good apps on WP, I was just stating that a lot of great apps not necessarily are the popular ones...
The one you mention seems to have better mouse features and a lot of options compared to Gmote, but one thing I love about Gmote is the ability to play files on the PC OR play them directly on your phone like streaming...
I hope developers keep making great apps across all systems... and leave users to pick to their taste
7. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Great, now "WP has no apps" trolls can STFU! Rest In Piece "WP has no apps" trolls, nobody will remember you! :)
Well done Microsoft! :)
9. Rayanx10 (Posts: 45; Member since: 30 Mar 2013)
can someone please tell me how many windows app are there the fun number all together. thank you
11. dexter_jdr (Posts: 1161; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
you motherfathers out there you can suck my deck!!! THEY HAVE APPS!!! hahaha
14. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Very few limited Apps™
Did you no, that MS and Nokia was begging instagram to be vailable on Wp™
How down could they go™
23. dexter_jdr (Posts: 1161; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
its not low. its strategy. if instagram still dont want to make app, then 3rd party apps will take over it.
and i dont even use instagram. so your argument is invalid™
24. NexusKoolaid (Posts: 305; Member since: 24 Oct 2011)
Your reasoning makes no sense - you don't use Instagram so so his argument is invalid? I don't use most of the apps listed above, so I guess the whole chart is invalid then.
30. dexter_jdr (Posts: 1161; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
it means that i dont care about instagram.
17. joey_sfb (Posts: 3088; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
I really don't appreciate the high price that I have paid for their OSs and other software product, e.g Office 2003, 2010.
The less product I need to relay on them the better...
21. roscuthiii (Posts: 1859; Member since: 18 Jul 2010)
Mostly games... I'm just not going to pay for mobile games which only provide a momentary distraction, only to download another mobile distraction a short time later.
P.T. Barnum was right.
22. pookiewood (Posts: 623; Member since: 05 Mar 2012)
I don't see why Google Apps should be on the list. I bought a WP for MS's services.
36. best_ (Posts: 50; Member since: 08 Apr 2013)
noob kid ... go to play games on desktop or laptops ..
27. DontHateOnS60 (Posts: 863; Member since: 20 Apr 2009)
Right, now lets look at the top 50 next...
By the way, in case all you don't know, have you actually looked at the quality of these apps compared to their Android and iOS counterparts? The current Facebook lacks the features of the others. This goes for Skype which doesn't allow you to send photos or files, eBay which is only good for viewing and buying, and Shazam which clearly doesn't work as well as the iOS version. Trust me on that. I've tested it out. These are just the ones I use. I can imagine how others compare...
29. GALAXY-STORM (Posts: 328; Member since: 13 Oct 2012)
Where is dungeon hunter 4, where is iron man 3??
Gameloft will come up with man of steel next. Want them all on wp soon.
31. StreetNerd (Posts: 719; Member since: 08 Dec 2010)
why the furk would u play those games on phone.....
34. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3022; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
Not the right question to ask...
It should be, 'Do you own a WP?'
39. Muzhhur (Posts: 248; Member since: 14 Sep 2012)
Well, its not the same app Fruit Ninja in iPhone vs WP8, yes we have it, but I love the iphone version
41. hitmantb (Posts: 51; Member since: 26 Jul 2012)
These apps are what used to be hot (all of them came out a long, long time ago).
What WP is missing is what is actually hot TODAY. And the only list that matters is the top grossing list, what people are paying money for today. WP is very very weak on that list. Candy Crush, Rage of Bahamus, Puzzles & Dragons, Crime City, Zenonia, the list goes on and on . . .
For people who say games don't matter, games dominate the mobile app grossing chart, people pay more money on games than anything else, and it is sad/ironic that the company that owns Xbox can't port over a few top tier franchises like Halo to easily solve this problem, when copycats like Gameloft can do Nova 3.
43. tech8 (Posts: 2; Member since: 29 Apr 2013)
temple run is not working in lumia 620,its very sad
46. MC1123 (Posts: 1247; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
funny, tiny wings is actually available on BB10!! they need to do this kind of survey for other platform as well to be exact the BB10!
47. martinlosha (unregistered)
What is this windows phone?
Where can I find one?
I want to try it...