Why would Apple ditch the iPhone brand for its phablet?
1. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Because Apple needs to catch up, that's why. Btw, iPhablet sounds weird.
6. pokharkarsaga (Posts: 365; Member since: 23 Feb 2012)
iphab brand sounds good according to me.
14. hurrycanger (Posts: 1499; Member since: 01 Dec 2013)
What's wrong about it? It sounds totally okay.
"I love the iFap."
"Yeah, man!. iFap all day every day!!!"
16. jcdz89 (Posts: 78; Member since: 01 Mar 2013)
Inote or iPhone pro or iPhone max... copy of samsung, LG & HTC respectively
25. Finalflash (Posts: 2134; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
Well all of their new "innovations" are copies of something or another now. So instead of a name just do an apology to customers and call it "iF'edup".
52. gallitoking (Posts: 4704; Member since: 17 May 2011)
you clearly don't know what innovation is..
27. Kyokado (Posts: 115; Member since: 11 Jul 2013)
Didnt apple criticise the note 1 when it came out. That it will never be successful or something like that. And now they are making their own version of the note... I smell hypocrites.
47. Ashoaib (Posts: 2828; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
They are also copying the ideas... but when other company copy their idea, they drag them to icourts...
11. frydaexiii (Posts: 1386; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
Behold, iPhad...Definitely aptly named
32. DonkeySauce (Posts: 179; Member since: 03 Dec 2011)
Soooooo sick of iPhone rumors... The day after the 5s came out, we start rumors about the 6, etc...
41. downphoenix (Posts: 2732; Member since: 19 Jun 2010)
I think they should name it iFail. At least it would be an accurate name for one of their products.
43. jael206 (Posts: 144; Member since: 18 Jul 2012)
They already have the iPad Air.. So if this things going to be any thinner than the iPad, it should be aptly named.. "iSheet"!! Yeah, you're welcome!
45. Kaiser2007 (Posts: 163; Member since: 16 Nov 2013)
You spell it wrong. The name is actually "iSheep".
46. jael206 (Posts: 144; Member since: 18 Jul 2012)
Nah, it's ok.. iSh*t would be better tho. Darn these policies! Lol
48. Ashoaib (Posts: 2828; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
No need to catch up... they bashed big phones in the past... I dont know why ifans have short term memory loss... isnt now apple copying samsung note fame?
2. cheeseycheeser (Posts: 411; Member since: 24 Mar 2011)
I'm honestly banking on a rebrand of iPhone Air, iPhone Pro and possibly even iPhone Mini. This would match their computers, and make a lot of sense. Thin all aluminum iPhone Air with a 4.7" screen, an iPhone phablet, and then a 4" plastic iPhone.
4. X.E.R.O. (unregistered)
Either iPhone XL or iPad minier.
22. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
iPhone Max. And then there is just Tim's phone.
7. Diezparda (Posts: 331; Member since: 23 Oct 2013)
Maybe iPad Nano sounds better than iPhablet
9. Topcat488 (Posts: 1222; Member since: 29 Sep 2012)
I just hope it doesn't take as long to make as the iwatch or imaps are taking... Poor Apple, why do you have to make things so complicated. X(
15. a_merryman (Posts: 749; Member since: 14 Dec 2011)
What is imaps? Do you mean apple maps? Hopefully the iwatch will come out soon.
20. livyatan (Posts: 867; Member since: 19 Jun 2013)
Or..imagine the sound of this..the Palm Pad by Apple
23. salaal (Posts: 109; Member since: 08 Dec 2013)
I would like to iSlap tim cook if he makes a phone over 5" he shouldn't go over 4.5"!
24. geordie8t1 (unregistered)
Still will be hampered by apples software. Android devices like tbe note 3 will always be much better even if sales say otherwise. A nokia phone from 2004 could do exactly what the latest idevice can do. Albeit with a little less finesse. Tech has moved on. The single buggest bug for me is the shoddy codec support. Which makes sense because they want you to buy from itunes. Ipads displays suck because if the rediculius letterboxing. I amselling.my retina ipad mini to go back to android. Galaxy tab pro 8.4" will wipe floor with apple devices
34. bigstrudel (Posts: 518; Member since: 20 Aug 2012)
It's like reading every nuthuggers opinion on this site.
26. ultimatewarrior (Posts: 8; Member since: 19 Feb 2014)
The new iPatch, No seriously, something like "iPalm the world in the palm of your hand" sounds more like an apple product.
29. darkkjedii (Posts: 15162; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
This is a golden opportunity for Cook, and apple as a whole. Samsung is the only major player in this catagorey, the times rifht for apple to get it in. It could be a huge market share boost. Rock on apple. I'll mos def but one.
35. networkdood (Posts: 6330; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
You sound like someone who works for Apple...do you own stock in them? LOL, looks like I do through an inheritance passed down from my grandfather...is that funny, or what?
But, really, you act like Apple loves you....kind of sick...no, I mean it..it is really is...psychotic...
36. EclipseGSX (Posts: 1703; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
It could but it's going to flop. Sorry bro, Sammy owns that world
38. alrightihatepickingusernames (Posts: 473; Member since: 29 Dec 2013)
Yeah, making a phablet actually useful and not just a big phone (ehem HTC One Max) would require big changes to iOS as an operating system.
4.7-5" makes more sense to me.
30. nctx77 (Posts: 1004; Member since: 03 Sep 2013)
I'm not sure about the name, but I think the 5+ inch device should cater towards the ipad line and run ipad apps. I think this is why they are saying the 3.7 inch iphone will launch earlier than the phablet. The phablet will probably launch next to the ipad. I don't think Apple cares about hurting mini sales.
37. alrightihatepickingusernames (Posts: 473; Member since: 29 Dec 2013)
It can be the mini iPad mini... iPad.
39. CX3NT3_713 (Posts: 2023; Member since: 18 Apr 2011)
I have a feeling, they are going to forget to add a camera....
44. roscuthiii (Posts: 1918; Member since: 18 Jul 2010)
I'm gonna go with a simple answer. If the new device takes off, they add yet another name to the powerhouse list of successes they've built for themselves: iPod, iPhone, iPad, plus the addition of the iP* (whatever the name may be). And now, I'm going to throw my hat in the ring with a naming prediction of... the iPro.
Apple's certainly no stranger to the "Pro" moniker, plus it lines up with a phablet's professional functionality of which "functionality" is something oft chided of Apple by the non-iPhone fans.
And, if it doesn't take off then it doesn't dilute the branding they've already built with iPhone & iPad. So really, the question is why wouldn't they.