Sony unveils new IMX318 22.5MP sensor: could this be the camera for the Xperia Z6?
17. vincelongman (Posts: 4104; Member since: 10 Feb 2013)
Can't wait to see:
S7 (BRIGHTCELL) vs G5 (duo cam) vs Z5 (this or better) vs M10 (IMX 377+OIS)
45. Furbal (Posts: 921; Member since: 22 Sep 2012)
377+ OIS should be impressive as long as HTC gets the software right.
Google is doing the sensor a disservice with the stock camera app
37. Jairus24 (Posts: 48; Member since: 20 Jan 2012)
Superb camera hardware paired with an incompetent and inferior image software processing by Sony Xperia phones. Yes it's a wow! /sarcasm
2. Switch00 (Posts: 400; Member since: 04 Sep 2013)
sony, where's that ultra2 we were talking about?
7. techperson211 (Posts: 1168; Member since: 27 Feb 2014)
Yeah, I'm waiting for the ultra2 as well. Going back to this camera. All OEM will fall in line to get this baby. This is one of the strong department of Sony aside from their PS division. Good job Sony!
3. josephnero (Posts: 555; Member since: 16 Nov 2011)
It won't be used in Z6.Sony never announces the exclusive sensors they use in their flagships.Z6 will either use the same IMX300 in Z5 or something new maybe even curved
8. techperson211 (Posts: 1168; Member since: 27 Feb 2014)
I think this is for mass production for OEM. You're right Sony only uses their exclusive sensor for Z line starting with the Z5.
13. combatmedic870 (Posts: 555; Member since: 02 Sep 2015)
Their sensor division has split off now. There will be no more exclusives. Atleast their shouldn't be.
23. Genza (Posts: 537; Member since: 12 Mar 2014)
You misunderstand the split off the decision will not change anything for the future all the latest tech will be use only in Sony devices for at least 6 months unless Sony stop making phones or other companies are willing to pay higher prices.
5. Biernot (unregistered)
Maybe in 7 years
9. S.R.K. (banned) (Posts: 678; Member since: 11 Feb 2016)
The S7/Z6/G5 should use/come with 3x optical sensors, rather than crappy digital zoom, also with PureWiew.
21. S.R.K. (banned) (Posts: 678; Member since: 11 Feb 2016)
Nope, the PureView has 3x optical zoom, but the camera has a hump.
We don't mind the hump to justify better camera.
25. TheGranter (Posts: 49; Member since: 28 Jan 2016)
I bought a sony phone for the simple reason of having a decent pocket camera, i don't carry around my nikkon 5500 everywhere because it's not a bother.
Great camera is about as important as having good battery life, wouldn't buy a phone if battery life was crappy and camera was s**t, i don't care to much if it can run games. Aslong as socialmedia apps works (y)
So i guess this is target to consumers like me.
11. Swordylove (Posts: 167; Member since: 27 Jun 2015)
Wouldn't make any difference if it's the same inferior lens and/or software.
12. TyrionLannister (unregistered)
I hope it's not for z6. Light gathering is not the only issue with small pixels. Besides, imx230 was not that impressive anyway. Moto X style has an average camera at best, and pretty poor in low light.
14. S.R.K. (banned) (Posts: 678; Member since: 11 Feb 2016)
What happened to you're old avatar?
41. TyrionLannister (unregistered)
Changed it again. Does it look good now?
46. S.R.K. (banned) (Posts: 678; Member since: 11 Feb 2016)
No, where's the one with the guys photo, the trible one?
16. itsjustJOH (Posts: 232; Member since: 18 Oct 2012)
It's not a flagship-grade sensor. All the flagship phones have custom-made sensors. Sony's flagship also uses exclusive sensors.
38. marorun (Posts: 3151; Member since: 30 Mar 2015)
Did you use the Moto X style yourself or you base yourself on review?
Real life result on the camera of this phone is pretty amazing and low light picture are very good as well.
I agree thats on the review they dont look thats good but review in todays world is rarely neutral so..
18. Astoni (Posts: 649; Member since: 28 Sep 2013)
i'd bet its focus and quality is as horse s**t as its predecessors, since sony don't know s**t how to optimize software for camera on phones. and yes i'm talking from experience. ever since the Z-line began the camera had problems with correct focus and overall quality. Even the darn z5 still has problems with overall quality.
YES! you can take good pictures with the phone but compared to its competitors its alot harder and requires a steady-hand aswell as mulitple tries.
19. EcoCare (Posts: 385; Member since: 30 Jul 2014)
No matter how good or exclusive their camera hardware, the Xperia lines never won the cameraphone battle.
20. Djz89 (Posts: 271; Member since: 25 Aug 2014)
well not true, check out gsmarenas first blindtest with the z5. It won!
36. Scarambay (Posts: 83; Member since: 18 Jan 2013)
The Xperia Z5 takes the worst pictures among the Galaxy S6, LG G4, Galaxy Note 5, iPhone 6S and 6S Plus and Xperia Z5.
39. marorun (Posts: 3151; Member since: 30 Mar 2015)
Remove iphone from this list the quality of the picture they take are FAR from been on par with any of the other model said and the Z5.
They take amazing 4k video but thats its.
As for the Z5 its take amazing picture but you just need to use another camera app like Google stock one or Camera FV-5 and the picture its take beat all the competition ( even if you use camera FV-5 on other flagship )
My old Z1 take better picture than the S6 using Camera FV-5.
Ok its slower to focus and slower to take the picture itself but the end result is better.
Anyway most ppl use stock app to take picture the one thats come with the phone and yeah Sony suck big time on thats end!
24. Hallyu (Posts: 317; Member since: 21 Jul 2015)
Wait till Britcell sensor is ready and you're done, Sony.
26. dimas (Posts: 1909; Member since: 22 Jul 2014)
British cells don't have camera sensors, little hallyu.
27. Hallyu (Posts: 317; Member since: 21 Jul 2015)
What kind of joke is that? I know you've been a diehard Sony fan, and I'm sorry to tell you that you had been brainwashed by Sony. Wake up, dude.
34. vuyonc (Posts: 987; Member since: 24 Feb 2014)
Check your spelling, please.
42. dimas (Posts: 1909; Member since: 22 Jul 2014)
I used to own an iphone, nokia lumia, htc, oppo, huawei, samsung, asus and lenovo so I guess that's not being a sony fanboy right?
I'm sorry to tell you that you had been brainwashed by Samsung. Wake up, dude.
28. S.R.K. (banned) (Posts: 678; Member since: 11 Feb 2016)
Lmao, even CarlZeiss kicks the butt out of Britcell.
43. dimas (Posts: 1909; Member since: 22 Jul 2014)
Agree. 2016 and nokia lumia 1020 is still one of the dope techs in phone camera world.
47. S.R.K. (banned) (Posts: 678; Member since: 11 Feb 2016)
And the 808 Nokia, that would be the king till 2017.
44. Subie (Posts: 458; Member since: 01 Aug 2015)
Carl Zeiss just makes the lens! They don't design sensors, or semiconductors of any kind.
48. JMartin22 (Posts: 1899; Member since: 30 Apr 2013)
Why? Because they put cartoon sized sensors in phones that make the backsides look like cancer lumps? Real, mainstream manufacturers have to battle capacity and optics quality in one. Most people don't want to by something of an eyesore like that Lumia 1020 and other manufacturers know it.
Anyone can do what they do and stick an absurdly sized sensor in a phone chassis compartment but they don't for obvious reasons
40. marorun (Posts: 3151; Member since: 30 Mar 2015)
Hallyu wait to see if its deliver before talking.
29. SK_WS (Posts: 43; Member since: 17 Apr 2015)
Why don't Sony improves on their camera software first
32. Djz89 (Posts: 271; Member since: 25 Aug 2014)
they sell sensors so it has a higher priority.
35. Ordinary (Posts: 2177; Member since: 23 Apr 2015)
Its already the best so there is no need.
30. lallolu (Posts: 453; Member since: 18 Sep 2012)
I will trust the sensor when I see the results and reviews.
33. Djz89 (Posts: 271; Member since: 25 Aug 2014)
the senso will be awesome like all the sensors they produce, sofweare is the big question.
31. TheGranter (Posts: 49; Member since: 28 Jan 2016)
this is old news???
like the z5 premium is already being sold and said to be able to autofocus on 0.03sec and is on 23mp, so why is this being said to be something completly new? lol
49. fancollo (Posts: 41; Member since: 30 Dec 2015)
Sony imaging Sensor and a Sony Smartphone are just a no-go! this combination simply doesn't work. Although put a Sony imaging Sensor in any other phone, it will be great!