Sony Xperia Z1 low-light samples roundup
1. Seo_Joo_Hyun (Posts: 65; Member since: 14 Jul 2013)
impressive results, i want o see the comparison between this , Lumia 1520 with 20 megapixle and the Lumia 1020
4. yasir-921 (Posts: 81; Member since: 02 Oct 2012)
You're saying as if the 1020, 1520 and Z1 will be in front of you and you're going to choose one!
62. AwesomestMaximuss (Posts: 142; Member since: 09 Jul 2013)
12. CX3NT3_713 (Posts: 2062; Member since: 18 Apr 2011)
Some look a little blurry.,.but they do look brite in night shot
21. criticism (Posts: 46; Member since: 12 Sep 2013)
ya, u r rite!! the sharpness is not impressing! I also think the dynamic range isn't also comparable to that of recent Lumia phones! But not sure unless we see the comparisons!
38. taikucing (unregistered)
remember... the sensor in Sony XZ1 is still not as big as Lumia. Sony can put big 2/3" sensor too if they want to and Sony can blow Nokia out of the water. Just saying...
44. Feanor (Posts: 565; Member since: 20 Jun 2012)
...because the Z1 is less than 8.5mm thin with no ugly hump that gets in the way when you hold the phone in landscape. Just saying...
NOKIA fans, please face the truth. Sony could include a larger sensor and OIS if they wanted and they would have made the best cameraphone in the world. They didn't do, not because they couldn't, but because they wanted to keep the phone thin and elegant and also as not to confuse their own compact camera customers. Even if the Z1 proves slightly worse than the Lumia 1020 in making pics, it's still an engineering marvel, that it can do so much with its camera being only 8.5mm thin. More so than the 1020.
46. papss (unregistered)
Again IF? That's a serious fanboy statement that anybody could say.. Just stop, you sound silly.
50. Feanor (Posts: 565; Member since: 20 Jun 2012)
Really? You think that Nokia, a phone producer can compete with Sony, a camera producer, in photographic capabilities? I think YOU sound silly. Nokia have pulled all stops with the 1020 because they don't have a camera business to take care of and therefore they want their 1020 to compete with compact cameras. Sony needs to achieve a precarious balance between offering a competitive cameraphone without ruining overnight their camera business. So, they made a marketing decision. Phones should be thin and competitive in the camera department but not so as to become a threat to their cameras. And with the Z1 they stroke the correct balance. If you think that they just didn't manage to produce a camera as good as the1020, then you are being naive. They could have just pasted a phone on top of their RX100 a la Samsung GS4 Zoom and kill the 1020 completely.
52. mdroid (Posts: 48; Member since: 15 Mar 2013)
truly said Feanor, xperia Z1 gonna bolw 'em all. get ready.
57. CX3NT3_713 (Posts: 2062; Member since: 18 Apr 2011)
I would rather have the slight hump, than a shytty wasged out camera , just sayin
66. UdhaiyaPrasanth (Posts: 76; Member since: 05 Sep 2012)
"Not because they COULDN'T, but because they wanted to keep the phone thin"
-> There! Now go compare Z1 with other phones on how much thinner it is. (Or in terms of any other feature you want) Don't compare it with a Lumia 1020 in terms of its camera, because Sony DIDN'T include a larger sensor, OIS, or a Xenon flash. It is a waste of time arguing "they could have done these easily" and outperformed a 1020!! Let them do it first and then you have all rights on earth to say that it has outperformed a Lumia 1020.
1020 is a camera-centric phone (focuses mostly on the camera performance), whereas a z1 is more of a flag-ship (that performs overall). Its silly to compare both if you ask me.
I would classify these phones as follows:
Best camera on a phone- Lumia 1020
Best phone with a good camera - Xperia z1
45. papss (unregistered)
If is open to all dude.. IF Nokia wanted they could have put a lager sensor in too.. See what I did there?
48. xtian1103 (Posts: 363; Member since: 11 Feb 2012)
then it will look like a big bump on the back like a cuterebra maggot!
22. wrm2013 (Posts: 196; Member since: 28 Mar 2013)
Will the 1020 be available to any other carriers? (Like tmobile)
26. Medel (Posts: 84; Member since: 31 May 2011)
look at comparison Nokia Lumia 1020 vs Xperia Z1
i stick with lumia 1020. still the winner! :)
33. ahomad (Posts: 174; Member since: 15 May 2012)
1020 might be a winner in the camera department, but Xperia Z1 is the best overall package (read the conclusion of your own reference)
34. ahomad (Posts: 174; Member since: 15 May 2012)
this is from your source
"There is simply no other Android flagship device in the market at the moment that can come close to matching what Sony has offered on the Xperia Z1"
and I will add "not just android but any other operating system"
39. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10091; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Sorry, but the Z1 is not better than the 1020.
47. papss (unregistered)
55. Rexperia (Posts: 131; Member since: 28 Sep 2012)
yeah.. keep bashing! that's all you can do in every SONY's article. Seriously, what's a problem with you? did you have a bad experience with SONY so you keep posting and saying the bad things about SONY?
56. DashHax (Posts: 2; Member since: 13 Sep 2013)
In term of imaging capability, yes, but Z1 still sit on the second spot and Z1 sit on first spot in Android ecosystem.
But in term of performance, no, Z1 is better than 1020. 2.2Ghz S800 x 4 vs 1.5Ghz S4 Pro x 2, Adreno 330 vs Adreno 320... With these comparision, Z1 can easily kick 1020's ass out of the arena. Say WP8 doesn't require lots of processing power, but try to play some heavy 3D games like Asphalt with FB & Twitter running on background ready to be switched anytime, your WP8 can't even rescue you from facing lags.
65. Medel (Posts: 84; Member since: 31 May 2011)
the source is real. why so defensive? are you an android fan? if you're i don't need your opinion! and i don't even know you. =/
Nokia Lumia 1020 still the winner in camera but in specs is no to me. lets wait Lumia 1520. and the Nokia Sirius Windows RT tablet. :)
61. AwesomestMaximuss (Posts: 142; Member since: 09 Jul 2013)
27. criticism (Posts: 46; Member since: 12 Sep 2013)
Impressive is in the topic of the PA post! but as I searched, I could not find anything special!!!
3. pankajgupta (Posts: 59; Member since: 09 Aug 2012)
Even if the actual shots from actual users are half as good... it will be awesome..
Sony FTW \m/
5. rawbow (Posts: 428; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
Looks awesome! low light photos at their best...nice work Sony!
These photos gives me a sense of what you see is what you can click. No artificial colors or noise.
6. chunk1x (Posts: 248; Member since: 25 Jun 2011)
Why the hell did PA turn off the zoom feature in their crappy photo viewer?
14. Chris.P (Posts: 434; Member since: 27 Jun 2013)
It appears when images are bigger than what you see in the slideshow. Doesn't support digital zoom.
17. chunk1x (Posts: 248; Member since: 25 Jun 2011)
How come it can support 13 or even 41 mp size pics but not 20 mp pic?
30. Daniel.P (Posts: 102; Member since: 14 Jul 2011)
These are resized for web, not the full-size samples, that's why the zoom tool is not on, as there's nothing to zoom into. Check the source link for the full samples - at the time of posting the photographer's Flickr account where the full-size samples are, was down...
40. jb4674 (Posts: 145; Member since: 05 Apr 2013)
It would be a good idea if you guys could put the original samples somewhere where people could see them....
60. Edmund (Posts: 656; Member since: 13 Jul 2012)
Because that would show the defects of this over-hyped piece of junk. PA (and indeed most of the other leading tech' sites) will go to just about any length to make the Lumia 1020 look inferior.
It's about time these so called technology writers came to terms with the simple fact that Windows Phone is here to stay, no matter how much they dislike the platform.
7. itsdeepak4u2000 (Posts: 3615; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
These are very good results, but not so impressive though, needs comparison with Lumia 925 and also upcoming Lumia with 20 MP Pureview. Where is Zoom-in PA?
11. boosook (Posts: 1335; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
Oh, come on... the only good Nokias are the 808 and 1020, the 925 is just an average mid-range cameraphone.
24. itsdeepak4u2000 (Posts: 3615; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
Yes, that I know but 1020 didn't show good results in low light, don't know much about 808's low light performances but 925 is very very good at night's low light, I've seen results on different sites including PA. :)
32. buccob (Posts: 2260; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
Here you go...
no 1020, or 925.. but the 808 is compared... also for some reason with the One Mini...
I tipped PA about this article and they ignored it twice....
42. jb4674 (Posts: 145; Member since: 05 Apr 2013)
That's a great shootout! I don't see what the big fuss is about the 808. By looking at those pictures, the Z1 outshined it and the HTC effortlessly.
43. buccob (Posts: 2260; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
Well to be fair, I think the 808 is incredible for well lighted pictures... and remember just how old it is...
9. scriptwriter (Posts: 396; Member since: 13 Nov 2012)
Will be impressed when you can take a picture of the night sky and see the moon and stars as the human eye does.
29. criticism (Posts: 46; Member since: 12 Sep 2013)
I think it is impossible with current smartphones! You should do this with a DLSR maybe!
10. mousesports (Posts: 270; Member since: 28 Feb 2013)
Artificial light ... dont impress at all !!
13. jsdechavez (Posts: 708; Member since: 20 Jul 2012)
I will be impressed if a non-biased comparison comes out.
"Samsung's Galaxy S4 and the optically stabilized LG G2 are the current leaders here..."
-not the Lumia or the One? A lot of fanboyism here.
18. sum182 (Posts: 229; Member since: 19 Nov 2011)
"we might have a new leader on the Android block"
They are just refering to android phones here.....The ones camera is proven to not be that great, but lumias are not included because...well...they're not android....calm down.
20. papss (unregistered)
I think they are talking about android though... I would agree there are better cameras on phones then those two (808 and the 1020). They often leave the 1020 out of the camera comparisons.
25. MrTzr (unregistered)
The One, which is not able to take detailed images due to its 4MP 'ultrapixel' camera?
16. torrtorr (Posts: 2; Member since: 09 Sep 2013)
hello, don't you know if xperia z1 camera soft will be also updated to xperia z?
19. pwnarena (Posts: 1089; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
the cat photo is the result of the 3x digital zoom according to the source.
23. pwnarena (Posts: 1089; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
full res photos here
look further into that flickr account and you can also see lumia 925 samples
28. wrm2013 (Posts: 196; Member since: 28 Mar 2013)
On another note...... When will the mini be available?
31. JuAli (Posts: 13; Member since: 12 Oct 2012)
way better than the 1020! imo.....please come to ATT this fall or winter!!!!
49. SonyPS4 (Posts: 323; Member since: 21 May 2013)
Not bad. I dont expect this to beat Lumia 1020 because that one got bigger lens but at least i can say Xperia Z1 is the best among android smartphone.