Report: Market share of octa-core powered smartphones will slide this year
The sources add that MediaTek has kept a fairly wide price gap between its quad-core and octa-core chips in order to keep demand flowing for the former. The speculation is that MediaTek isn't ready yet to use pricing as a way to drive business to the MT6592.
While the international version of the Samsung Galaxy S5 will feature Sammy's homegrown Exynos octa-core chip, the ubiquitous industry sources are not totally convinced that Samsung's new flagship will be the runaway hit that many expect it to be.
1. afegit (Posts: 37; Member since: 12 Feb 2014)
All I know is that Samsung's A57 Exynos Infinity will destroy Apple's 2.6ghs Diul Core in both power, efficiency and multi-tasking.
2014 will be the year of the Octacore, mark my words.
>inb4 i get rekt by apple fangrills.
2. iphoneplz (Posts: 10; Member since: 12 Feb 2014)
apple is know to make amzing products and i am 100% sure that the next iphone will complete destroy the s5 and the the next note
3. Tizen007 (Posts: 522; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
The note 4 rumors sound quite promising but the S5 yeah I thinks so too.
21. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
really,then why not use and be happy with a iP4 and not buy the iP5s,,,?
It's all about specs and power and defining and implementing the modification
15. __0__ (banned) (Posts: 242; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
Snapdragon and Apple A series rules
19. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
Exynos has and always been much better than Snapdragons CPU,,,
What would you know about CPU,,,,? Go to Anandtech site.
Is that why a Exynos A15 at 1,6Ghz vs a S800 2.3Ghz are on par.
Let's get rid off those A7 and just have A15 Exynos. So you are telling me the A15 Arm Cortex is crap, and your beloved A9 a less powerful CPU which needs 2w to operate is better than Exynos A15 and Tegra5,,? Which planet are you from?
4. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3586; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
All i know that Octa core is sh*t useless crap whether it is a gimmicky big.LITTLE or true octa sh*t.
5. Vanster (Posts: 124; Member since: 15 Jan 2014)
haha what you can do just give a sht in every article
7. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3586; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
You can always argue brother. Thats my opinion you can prove wrong.
6. Lt.Green (Posts: 394; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
I agree, even quad-cores seems too much. I think dual-cores are more than enough in most cases.
8. Genersis (Posts: 203; Member since: 29 May 2013)
Indeed, more cores does not always mean more power/speed.
Clock rate and the types of core seem more important, as well as having a competent GPU to back it up.
10. WindowsiDroid (Posts: 116; Member since: 22 Jul 2013)
That's why I praise Intel Powerful Dual core Atom Processors like the Atom Z2580 which score in Antutu up to 22k, and even it is just dual core it doesn't lag unlike the other quad cores.
11. vincelongman (Posts: 1583; Member since: 10 Feb 2013)
I some have the use system monitor cpu floating widget on my Nexus 5 and I nearly always see only two cores active.
Just when opening an app or an "intensive" gaming the 3rd and 4th core active.
I hope Qualcomm releases a A57 based dual core CPU soon for the Q3 phones
14. AfterShock (Posts: 2895; Member since: 02 Nov 2012)
Try Trinity kernel, turns all four on.
Race to finish ftw!
17. vincelongman (Posts: 1583; Member since: 10 Feb 2013)
But what about battery life? From what I've seen it reduces battery life
18. joey_sfb (Posts: 3113; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
Quad cores are more battery efficient than dual cores. Idle cores can be shut down. Only to be power up when the load demand it. I am very impress with the Android kernels that able to use the quad cores in this manner.
I am interested in Octa cores to see whether Android kernels could do the same there.
Install CPU-Z to see what I mean;
9. xoxoGeorges (Posts: 207; Member since: 11 Jul 2013)
As I've always said, Mediatek can put 16 cores on a ship and it will lag.
12. networkdood (Posts: 6310; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
I am getting an octa core coolpad 9976a..
16. fzacek (Posts: 2094; Member since: 26 Jan 2014)
I don't know much about processors, but I think they should focus more on increasing clock speeds on quad core processors instead of going to octa cores.
20. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
A V12 is better than a V8 and W12 better than a V12,
22. fzacek (Posts: 2094; Member since: 26 Jan 2014)
But aren't there only some apps and processes that can use all of the cores?