Preliminary bill of materials for the iPhone 5 pegged at $168 before teardown
1. XPERIA-KNIGHT posted on 14 Sep 2012, 03:43 18
"Apple is notorious for keeping costs down"
wait whaaaaaa??? LMAOOO
was the first thing i seen and had to pause....
34. Birds posted on 16 Sep 2012, 20:23 0
12. phljcnth posted on 14 Sep 2012, 05:06 3
Suddenly I got confused with 'notorious' and had to consult the dictionary. I got more confused even.
18. whysoserious posted on 14 Sep 2012, 06:29 1
"Apple has a bad reputation for keeping costs down"
23. tedkord posted on 14 Sep 2012, 07:59 5
They've gotta keep costs down. Lawyers charge like $1,000 per hour, and expert witnesses can be upward of $800 per hour.
24. -box- posted on 14 Sep 2012, 08:12 3
Not the selling costs, the manufacturing costs.
The problem I had though was this passage: "while slipping just enough innovation with the newest iPhone to make the upgrade worth your while", as it implies that I would be considering an upgrade to such a product and that each new product is somehow innovative (they haven't been in years). It should be reworded to "while slipping in just enough improvements with the newest iPhone to potentially make the upgrade worthwhile for potential buyers"
27. chaoticrazor posted on 14 Sep 2012, 09:09 5
but the s3 has much better tech inside, besides samsung supplies apple so if you call the s3 cheap whats the iphone?
35. jaoowolabi posted on 16 Sep 2012, 22:44 0
supplies apple with A processor not their whole inventory to make an iphone.
36. chaoticrazor posted on 17 Sep 2012, 06:30 0
what does apple make in house then? for themselves.
you'll find most of the iphone is made up from other companys parts
39. viper1983 posted on 20 Sep 2012, 21:29 0
3. D.Aceveda posted on 14 Sep 2012, 03:50 14
Apple being gritty and overcharging like CRAZY for their products.......You don't say?
5. theindianguy posted on 14 Sep 2012, 04:00 11
I know right? Yet people bash HTC for small batteries -_-
7. lumialove posted on 14 Sep 2012, 04:19 10
People don't seem to understand!
It's not that the iPhone 5 is a bad phone, its that Apple is selling you the same crap every year!(same thing with iPad2 and The New iPad).
Jesus! People drooling over it make me laugh so nice!
10. eisenbricher posted on 14 Sep 2012, 04:37 3
I dare you comment on this IFans! and I won't buy any crap like 'They deserve it' or 'Quality comes at price' talk.
13. jshan posted on 14 Sep 2012, 05:06 2
Ok buddy can u uncertain the costs of other big smartphones like sgs3, htc x one , droid razor , lg Optimus 3D .. ?
14. Nikolas.Oliver posted on 14 Sep 2012, 05:28 5
the only thing that makes iPhone so expensive is the profit for apple
15. Aeires (unregistered) posted on 14 Sep 2012, 05:55 2
Tell me again why the manufacturing can't be done in the US, where Apple HQ resides?
Oh yeah, greedy share holders won't allow it.
20. jaoowolabi posted on 14 Sep 2012, 07:00 1
what cell phone is made in the us? oh yea none....
21. Aeires (unregistered) posted on 14 Sep 2012, 07:01 1
I see you get my point.
25. -box- posted on 14 Sep 2012, 08:17 0
There used to be. Motorola used to make (as far as I know, though I wasn't alive then) all their stuff in the U.S., and they still make some stuff here. Samsung opened up a huge expensive chip factory here within the last few months, I believe in Texas, so while not producing entire phones, at least they're creating manufacturing jobs, something apple hasn't done in the U.S. in over a decade. Not only that, apple abuses tax laws and gets out of paying taxes, and keeps its profits in offshore accounts to avoid taxes on that, too. I'll grant that many large companies do this, but it'd sure be great if they could contribute to taxes like regular citizens do. Maybe the government would have enough money to actually function without a deficit.
37. viper1983 posted on 20 Sep 2012, 21:15 0
Yes, the deficit is apple's fault.
22. tluv00 posted on 14 Sep 2012, 07:59 1
Ad in the cost of labor per device and that phone costs $168 to make.
26. darac posted on 14 Sep 2012, 08:57 0
Anyone paying 600 dollars for this product is saying - sure, Apple, here, make a fool out of me
28. gazmatic posted on 14 Sep 2012, 09:21 0
an actual teardown... it costs apple $254 to make the iphone 4s 64gb version but they sell it unlocked for close to $830...
lumia 900 costs $209, galaxy nexus 7 cost $152 and kindle fire cost $202
the n8 and the iphone 4 cost the same at $197
galaxy sII skyrocket costs $244 and th galaxy note 10.1 costs $283
somehow i cant find the galaxy s3 but i assume its under $300
29. Berzerk000 posted on 14 Sep 2012, 09:25 0
The battery capacity? It's less? What was Apple thinking! LTE and a bigger screen, with a higher frequency proccesor that's most likely not A-15. Can't wait to hear the complaints on battery...
30. jibraihimi posted on 14 Sep 2012, 09:40 0
Wooow selling 168$ gadget for more than 600$, only Apple can do such thing and come out trump even after this............
38. viper1983 posted on 20 Sep 2012, 21:16 0
Would love to see the numbers for other "top" smartphones.