Poll: How big is big enough?
- (January 2014) What is the perfect smartphone display size for you?
49 votes (49 votes) 3.99'' and under
640 votes (640 votes) 4'' to 4.49''
1547 votes (1547 votes) 4.5'' to 4.99''
1144 votes (1144 votes) 5'' to 5.49''
511 votes (511 votes) 5.5'' to 5.99''
229 votes (229 votes) 6'' and above
1. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
5" to 5.5" is the perfect smartphone size for me, I can still accept 5.7" because of the Note 3.
Btw, the person who choose 6" and above must be a King Kong.
3. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
*perfect smartphone display size
LOL, PA suddenly add the word "display" after I posted this comment (comment #1)
62. rossumentum (Posts: 48; Member since: 15 Aug 2013)
almost 4 times as many people prefer a phone over 6 inches than prefer one the current size of the iphone 5, 4s, 4 etc! reason why apple stock falls from 700 to 390. It isn't that hard to see people.
20. itsdeepak4u2000 (Posts: 2871; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
IMO 4.7'' to 5.0'' is a very perfect for anybody, not too small and not too big.
So I voted 4.5'' to 4.99''.
57. NexusPhan (Posts: 542; Member since: 11 Jul 2013)
I'm at 4.8" - 5.2" so I'm torn about what to vote for. 5.5" is too big but 4.5" is way to small.
69. buccob (Posts: 1579; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
For me it depends if it has on-screen buttons, in that case 4.7-4.9" is ok in a small frame. But with separate capacitive buttons 4.3-4.6" is perfect. Anyway the Z1 C will have to do for me...
75. jcdz89 (Posts: 78; Member since: 01 Mar 2013)
Yeah agreed, 5 inch just perfect with slim bezels. But using note 3 for month, now 5 incher looks like a toy. Its hard to ignore bigger screen..
54. __0__ (banned) (Posts: 242; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
5 inch on my ZL , perfect . But now I feel small after using the note 3.
My perfect would be 5-5.5 inch while 6 inch phone is still acceptable . For table I love my nexus 7 although I do wish it to be bigger
59. akki20892 (Posts: 3661; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
i guess 4.3'' to 4.8'' is perfect smartphones.
under 4.3'' to 3.0'' is mini smartphone, and over 4.8'' to 5.5'' is bigger smartphone
and over 5.5'' to 6.5'' is phablet.
61. rossumentum (Posts: 48; Member since: 15 Aug 2013)
even apple is giving in to larger screen sizes haha. iphone 6 expected to be around 5 inches.
74. the_s2 (Posts: 211; Member since: 22 Nov 2011)
Big is better, is what I think. I prefer 6"+ phones. happy owner of an Xperia Z Ultra,I don't have big hands and I'm no king kong. I think I can live with a phone under 7" as long as its pocketable. Well, it is just MY opinion. I do get weird stares at me when I'm out in the public, and talking on a 6,4" phone. Maybe 5-5.5" is the perfect display size, keeping the phone size close to that of an LG G2. (Speaking of ZU, Sony can make the sequel to it with a 6,6" screen size keeping the current design and size as the bezels are generous enough.)
78. greyhulk (Posts: 124; Member since: 30 Jun 2010)
And the handful of people who said that 3.99" and under was perfect, must suffer from dwarfism or be children.
2. DogeShibe (Posts: 955; Member since: 10 Jan 2014)
4'' & under - Much small
4.3'' SUCH PERFECT WOW
4.7'' just acceptable
Over 4.7'' VERY OVERSIZED
79. EclipseGSX (Posts: 1655; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Could you f**king not? Doge Shibe is so 6 months ago, it's never even funny.
4. MC_A_DOT (Posts: 8; Member since: 10 Jan 2014)
I think the Note 3 is perfectly sized....but I have King Kong hands
33. PAPINYC (banned) (Posts: 2315; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
Is that the only thing you have Mr Kong?
84. jamesedward318 (Posts: 99; Member since: 25 Dec 2010)
I don't know if this creepy or borderline inapporpiate...
5. flipjzn (Posts: 187; Member since: 22 Jun 2012)
4.5" to 5" with thin bezel, for effective one hand typing.
7. rossumentum (Posts: 48; Member since: 15 Aug 2013)
I like how everyone used to make fun of 5 to 5.3 inch screens and now that is the desired size. These people cant see the future and that is why they will continue to do poor in the stock market.
29. Jobayer (Posts: 153; Member since: 22 Feb 2013)
In my opinion they where to be made make fun of until S4 and G2 .
41. rossumentum (Posts: 48; Member since: 15 Aug 2013)
i'd say when the note 2 came out it was no laughing matter
91. kaikuheadhunterz (Posts: 802; Member since: 18 Jul 2013)
Actually, 6.3" is my limit, but still 6"+ for me too
9. rossumentum (Posts: 48; Member since: 15 Aug 2013)
Desire has grown a full inch in 3 years.
36. techspace (Posts: 791; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
why should you feel bad if they are happy with the screen size?...even if they are not, apple is making bigger phones this year.
...i like my nexus 5, but that doesn't make me feel that people with bigger or smaller phones and phones with the other operating systems are unlucky.
44. rossumentum (Posts: 48; Member since: 15 Aug 2013)
they arn't happy though only 1.7% of people are happy with a less than a 4" screen. Way more than that have the iphone 4s or lower/older. I feel bad for them too
81. techspace (Posts: 791; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
if they would have liked anything bigger, they would have bought a newer iphone with 4 inch screen or they would have moved to any other platform, there were phones with big screens even before the 4s was released(Like the samsung galaxy s2)...the iphones are very expensive so if they have money for an iphone, they have money for any phone in the market, it was their choice to go with the iphone.
88. rossumentum (Posts: 48; Member since: 15 Aug 2013)
yes at that time they may have been happy with what they purchased but now most everyones preference has moved up significantly in size. A full inch on average in 3 years. Now they are left with a less than desirable screen size. I feel bad for them. They can right their previous wrong by getting a larger phone on their next purchase.
98. techspace (Posts: 791; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
the iphone 4s costs way more than the nexus 5, so if they sell the 4s, they will have enough money for the nexus 5 and get the best of android, so its their choice to keep it.
most of the android phones in 2011 were around 4.2 to 4.3 inches,the android phones in those days had around 2xx ppi, now they have crossed 400 mark, windows phone users were left in the cold, they didn't even get the wp8 update...what makes you not feel sad for them?
99. rossumentum (Posts: 48; Member since: 15 Aug 2013)
there is work (contacts, apps, photos, etc.) to changing over to a new phone. If not these people would do as you say above as evidenced by the poll where they desire a 4.9" screen on average. No iphone is close to that so most of these people are left with less than desirable screen sizes at this point unti they upgrade. Again changing to a new phone is a decent amount of work not just a 1 second thing or these people would change right now to a screen size they desire. This change will happen over time as they upgrade.
103. techspace (Posts: 791; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
I was an iPhone user before I moved to android and its not that difficult to move to android, on the other hand,many of my friends still love their iPhone 4Ses while some of them have upgraded to the iPhone 5s...I have noticed that most of the iPhone users love the smaller screen size...we cannot conclude that people don't like smaller screens just because more people like bigger screen in a poll conducted in a website dominated by android users
104. rossumentum (Posts: 48; Member since: 15 Aug 2013)
let me guess when apple releases a 5" inch screen everyone will love that and that will be the best size. isheep need to think for themselves once and awhile. Some people may like the smaller screen but that is a very small and dwindling number. Manufacturers will no longer tailer to the small screen desires of these people. future is coming a 3.75 and 4" screen is a joke now. If anyone likes that screen size then good luck to you in the future you will NOT have many options.
105. techspace (Posts: 791; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
if you think that even the iphone will get to 5 inches, then you have no reason to feel bad for them, just because the older gen phones were smaller, especially because you are talking about the hardcore ifans(because they would upgrade their phones every year)...
and the people who are not ifans but have iphones would have moved to other platforms for bigger screen choices if they wouldn't have been happy with the screen size.
infact, i would say that it would be sad if all the companies make flagship phones with bigger screen sizes because there won't be many options in the future.
...the intention behind this debate was simple,why feel sad for someone who has bought what he/she liked given that they have an opportunity to change their phone if they don't like it?
11. rossumentum (Posts: 48; Member since: 15 Aug 2013)
Haha I phones users holding out hope 4.5 inch screens are the future... maybe if the future was 2011.
12. LikeMyself (Posts: 302; Member since: 23 Sep 2013)
I don't mind the screen size.The phone size matters and my limit is the SONY Xperia Z1.Beyond that and it will fall from my hand.The LG G2 is quite the perfect phone and screen size with little bezels.Shame on LG for skipping SD slot.RIP LG and let Samdevil win again everytime!So for now 4.5-4.99 with LG G2 as exception!
13. rossumentum (Posts: 48; Member since: 15 Aug 2013)
Still alot of iPhone users living in the past on this vote... As a note 3 owner I see phones stopping at around 5.9 to 6 inch displays. Slightly bigger than the note 3. Too much more than that and it's a tablet and too big for human hands to easily navigate and carry around portably as a phone
14. LikeMyself (Posts: 302; Member since: 23 Sep 2013)
Same goes to other specs.Quality over quantity for display,camera,touchscreen!
16. kalloud (Posts: 120; Member since: 21 Jun 2012)
It depends on the bezels, 5'' with slim bezels is perfect for me.
17. cR203 (Posts: 190; Member since: 27 Jan 2013)
I picked 6 inch and above. I have the galaxy mega 6.3 and I love it. Its the perfect phone for me. I also have a note 2 and I like the internals on the note 2 better but the size of the galaxy mega is perfect. I think 6 inch smartphones are great for people who consume lots of media.
22. MC_A_DOT (Posts: 8; Member since: 10 Jan 2014)
Does it fit in your pocket though? Serious question.
37. rossumentum (Posts: 48; Member since: 15 Aug 2013)
my note 3 at 5.7 inches fits easily and is actually thinner than my work iphone 5 that I have.
60. cR203 (Posts: 190; Member since: 27 Jan 2013)
Both my note and my galaxy mega fit in my pockets. They even fit in my American eagle jeans pockets which are kinda small.
18. rossumentum (Posts: 48; Member since: 15 Aug 2013)
Anyone saying 5" is perfect simply hasn't had or used a 5.5" screen... Their views will change over time... slowly but surely they will just like all iPhone users
27. AliNSiddiqui (Posts: 382; Member since: 19 Sep 2012)
I have had a Note II for a year and I would much rather my next phone have a 4.5-5 inch display... And if I HAD to choose between 4 inches on the iPhone and 5.5 inches, I would choose 4 inches every day of the week.
48. AliNSiddiqui (Posts: 382; Member since: 19 Sep 2012)
My hands are not big but they are a bit bigger than average. Far from small.
34. rossumentum (Posts: 48; Member since: 15 Aug 2013)
i can actually value your opinion if you have tried the larger one and didnt like it. 95% of people who say they like 4.5 inch phones have only had a 4.5 inch phone. I find the larger screen I can more effectively do pretty much everything better. Hence why our laptops are 12 inches and not 4 inches. Can't really do anything effective or well on a screen that small.
40. PAPINYC (banned) (Posts: 2315; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
Truer words were never more apropos; thus, why netbooks flopped.
45. rossumentum (Posts: 48; Member since: 15 Aug 2013)
exactly if 4 or 4.5 inch screens are so great iphone lovers why don't you make your TV's and laptops and computers that size.
46. AliNSiddiqui (Posts: 382; Member since: 19 Sep 2012)
That's the dumbest thing I have read today.. And I am not even kidding
49. AliNSiddiqui (Posts: 382; Member since: 19 Sep 2012)
Netbooks flopped because of their fragility and performance and instability, NOT because of their sizes, if bigger is always better then why are laptops becoming smaller? The best size at this point seems to be 13 inches. Laptops and smartphones are different things, so keep them separate.
53. rossumentum (Posts: 48; Member since: 15 Aug 2013)
i think that is where you are wrong. Phone are doing more and more of things they used to do on their laptops on their phones now. And more of watching TV and media on their phones they used to do on a tv so they are not all that seperate items. It will only continue to move in that direction. Hey don't take my word for it take the evidence provided by this article and poll!
63. PAPINYC (banned) (Posts: 2315; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
Spoken like a true iMan with tiny hands. You couldn't be (in the words of my beloved TROLL™®©) "more. wronger." The only thing that I can't do on my Note 2 that I can do on my laptop is burn a DVD (or CD). Besides, iSee the eNvy in the i's of all those tiny iPhone users on the subway; all they seem to do on their phones is play Sol'iTaire and Candy Crush. rotflol (welcome back to 2007)