Mockups of the Apple iPhone 5C and Apple iPhone 5S are photographed with the Apple iPhone 5
Looking at the different variants of the phone, the Apple iPhone 5C has a decidedly lower-range look to it when compared to the other two versions, thanks to the plastic build. Apple is seeking to pick up its market share in emerging market countries with this model. Low-priced handsets like the Nokia Lumia 520 have been sizzling hot in places like China, Africa and India where full-priced smartphones are too expensive for consumers to buy. A recent report from ABI Research forecasts that the number of sub $200 smartphones shipped globally will rise from 238 million this year to 758 million by 2018.
Looking at the Apple iPhone 5S, we can see the dual LED flash expected on the new model. The next full-priced iPhone is also rumored to include a 12MP camera, an upgraded processor and a fingerprint scanner. Speculation has the two new models being introduced on September 18th with a launch 9 days later.
In case you can't tell the players without a scorecard, the Apple iPhone 5C is the plastic model, the Apple iPhone 5S has the
Mockups of the Apple iPhone 5C, Apple iPhone 5S and an Apple iPhone 5
source: Tinthe (translated) via 9to5Mac, RedmondPie
1. Jklaz (Posts: 124; Member since: 01 Jul 2013)
They all look the same.. And have for quite a while
19. akki20892 (Posts: 3621; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
Cook: this is iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c.
Brain-wash people: wow look at that this is new iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c.
Me: hmmmm what the hell they are talking about.
2. Dorothy69 (banned) (Posts: 498; Member since: 21 May 2013)
Yes, please, would an iPhone expert please explain to us which is which??
I only have one set of iBalls and they've just exploded from the pressure of trying to make a distinction; how do we know that Photoshop wasn't used here to mock-up the 5STd (or, whatever the current version is)??
9. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4104; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
The 5S has a larger opening for the flash (clearly seen in pics #1 and #2), because it supposedly has 2 LED flashes.
I hope you and your iBalls fully recover from the explosion, Dorothy!
11. -box- (Posts: 3864; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
I'm no expert, but I believe the cheap-looking metal-backed one is the 5, the cheap, cheesy-looking pleather-backed one that looks like it has a weird applique on it is the 5S, and the ultra-cheap-looking wannabe-fisher-price-looking one in all white is the 5C.
But yeah, they all look the same, and since most users put a fat ugly case on it so any distinction is irrelevant.
12. XperiaFanZone (Posts: 1457; Member since: 21 Sep 2012)
they're all overpriced piece of ijunk, just an "Apple" classic
23. Dorothy69 (banned) (Posts: 498; Member since: 21 May 2013)
OMG, why couldn't I see that!!?? Thanks, that makes all the sense in the world. Now I can put these pretty little pig tails to sleep (hope I don't have any dreams tonight) :D
25. apple4never (Posts: 970; Member since: 08 May 2013)
just sayin the pleathery one is the 5 in a case the other is the 5s and the cheapy 1 is the 5c
3. Shatter (Posts: 2031; Member since: 29 May 2013)
iPhone 5C will ruin the Apple "premium" name.
24. Dorothy69 (banned) (Posts: 498; Member since: 21 May 2013)
Thanks, had to download that - scanning now!!
4. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5921; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
5S looks a tiny (1mm ?) bit thicker than the 5. IDK if these pics are legit. Stay tuned, only a bit more than a month until release of the real deal.
8. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4104; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
You can see on pic #5 that the iPhone 5 has some sort of skin/case on it, that could make up the bit of extra thickness.
5. SingDaFire (Posts: 74; Member since: 21 Jun 2013)
Not gonna Work apple... Your entry level phone is still expensive compared to other phones.. So you know what Lumia sales and other entry and mid range level won't be affected.. Try harder...
6. GeekMovement (Posts: 1519; Member since: 09 Sep 2011)
Instead of releasing a cheap iphone, they should have focused on improving the UI to make it fresh, new, and innovative. Cheap iphone is just ugly.
and i can't tell which one is which either, but maybe it's the one the finger is pointing at on picture 5?
27. TechDork (Posts: 242; Member since: 10 May 2010)
He's coming out from under his rock, be nice..
7. clevername (Posts: 1431; Member since: 11 Jul 2008)
I believe the one with the (p)leather back is the 5s. The 5 has an aluminum back. Simple.
10. Commentator (Posts: 2469; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
That leather back is a skin on an iPhone 5. The 5S is the one with the differently-shaped camera flash.
30. clevername (Posts: 1431; Member since: 11 Jul 2008)
ahhhh. makes sense. leather would be a nice premium feeling material though. too bad i don't plan on getting an iPhone for the foreseeable future.
13. Jklaz (Posts: 124; Member since: 01 Jul 2013)
In all serious not trying to start a flame war.. A low cost plastic iPhone with its little square apps and very colorful girly Ios7 is going to look like a little kids toy.
16. a_merryman (Posts: 716; Member since: 14 Dec 2011)
I think the 5C one will be popular with women and kids. Women b/c its fairly fashionable looking...especially if it comes in a bunch of different colors and those cool looking plastic cases. And kids b/c it will be so cheap for parents to get.
iOS7 is a lot nicer than iOS6 though. A much more fresh and modern UI, while still being subtle enough to not alienate previous users...which they would have given more freedom with what you can do with it and added some more features....I miss swype
14. SleepingOz (unregistered)
Picture 4; premium aluminium!
15. darkkjedii (Posts: 12390; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Can't wait till they release the actual phones, these mockups are just that...mockups. This is like sugar to ants for the fanboy haters though, they can't resist these articles lol.
17. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5921; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Ummm. It is also like sugar to ants for the iFanboi community, too. Which is why PA posted the article.... Nothing like gaming the eyeball click metrics.
18. darkkjedii (Posts: 12390; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
C'mon Doug keep it real bro, camp android can't resist this stuff. Look at all the comments, 90%+ camp android.
28. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5921; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Are you saying that there are less than 10% of the PA members who are Apple fans????
Do you disagree with my claim that PA is gaming the eyeball metrics?
22. suneeboy (Posts: 167; Member since: 02 Oct 2012)
I'm actually looking forward to the iPhone 5S and iOS7. I've been an Android user since the HTC EVO 4G released on Sprint a few years ago (switched from Blackberry). I switched and used the iPhone 4S for a few months, but jumped back on the Android ship when the Nexus 4 came out. I'm just looking for a change of pace. I may like it, and I may not like it, but ironic as this may sound, Apple offers something "different" for me at this point.
29. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5921; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
If you are looking for 'different', you might try WP8. That is waaaay more different than iOS.