x PhoneArena is looking for new authors! To view all available positions, click here.
  • Home
  • News
  • HTC, RIM, Sony and Motorola to follow Apple's blueprint with fewer releases each year

HTC, RIM, Sony and Motorola to follow Apple's blueprint with fewer releases each year

HTC, RIM, Sony and Motorola to follow Apple's blueprint with fewer releases each year
Citing its industry sources in Taiwan, DigiTimes says that four major smartphone manufacturers plan on cutting back on the number of new models produced every year. HTC, Motorola, Sony and RIM are trying to follow Apple's game plan as the latter brings on only one new version of its Apple iPhone to the market each year.

Just the other day, we told you that Motorola Mobility CEO Sanjay Jha announced that the company would be cutting back on phone releases in 2012, concentrating on marketing instead. DigiTimes' sources said that the four smartphone manufacturers will be focusing on "designated models" instead of flooding the market with a seemingly never-ending supply of phones.

Concentrating on the Apple iPhone 4S, an incremental update from the prior year's Apple iPhone 4, estimates are that Apple sold a record 30 million units of its phone in just the fourth calendar quarter of 2011. Apple's share of smartphone sales in the U.S. went from 26% in the third quarter to 43% in October and November, according to one report. That period covers the launch of the Apple iPhone 4S.

Ironically, considering that Apple and Samsung have been at each other's throats in court with Apple charging that Samsung has been copying its designs, DigiTimes noted that Samsung had been following Apple by focusing on one flagship model each year. The Korean based manufacturer has struck gold with the Samsung Galaxy S II and a sequel is expected to be introduced later this year. 10 million units of the Samsung Galaxy S II were sold in the first 6 months while Samsung is believed to have sold a company record 32 million smartphones in Q4.

source: DigiTimes

82 Comments
  • Options
    Close




posted on 13 Jan 2012, 14:27 21

1. aarongzmn (Posts: 46; Member since: 22 Mar 2010)


Apple is now going to be a hipster and start releasing 12 iPhones per year just to mess with them...jkjk

posted on 13 Jan 2012, 15:10 3

21. iKingTrust (banned) (Posts: 716; Member since: 27 Jul 2011)


that would be so funny

posted on 13 Jan 2012, 15:34 4

31. ardent1 (Posts: 1991; Member since: 16 Apr 2011)


I've been stating for a while that the android OEMs should learn from Apple and produce fewer handsets per year while giving consumers their best devices.

I still remember the flames from the android camp. Look who's laughing now!! Android OEMs yet again take a page from Apple's playbook.

posted on 13 Jan 2012, 17:20 5

46. Johnny_Mnemonic (Posts: 240; Member since: 05 Oct 2011)


@ardent I remember when IBM introduced the first smartphone ,now iphone says they invented the smartphone once again iPhone took a page from IBM playbook

posted on 14 Jan 2012, 12:27

65. rf1975 (Posts: 242; Member since: 01 Aug 2011)


I guess you are talking about IBM simon. I do agree with you. But apple was working on touch screen phone way before this.
http://www.geek.com/articles/gadgets/apples-first-touchscreen-phone-20111230/

posted on 14 Jan 2012, 14:20 2

66. Johnny_Mnemonic (Posts: 240; Member since: 05 Oct 2011)


@rd1975 The first touchscreen phone was the IBM Simon, second was the HTC Wallaby aka XDA in 2002 way Apple took so long ?

posted on 15 Jan 2012, 18:24 1

78. ardent1 (Posts: 1991; Member since: 16 Apr 2011)


It's the same logic Apple applied to the MP3 player market, the modern smart phone market, and the tablet market.

As you know, Apple was waiting for the technology to catch up to Apple's innovations.

The iPod wasn't the first MP3 player, but it dominated the market.

The iPhone wasn't the first smartphone, but it changed the smartphone market and usher in the modern smartphone.

The iPad wasn't the first tablet, heck MS developed the tablet almost 10 years before the iPad but look at the iPad. In its first year, the more iPads were sold than the first 10 years of MS-based tablets.

It's not about being first, its about being the best device for the consumbers. Apple excels at giving consumers what they want.

posted on 15 Jan 2012, 18:44

81. Johnny_Mnemonic (Posts: 240; Member since: 05 Oct 2011)


Actually I disagree on that apple gives consumers what they want, Just cause people they say it's good doesn't mean it is , people don't know what they want if you say is that good way was it call the worst technology of 2010

posted on 15 Jan 2012, 18:20 1

77. ardent1 (Posts: 1991; Member since: 16 Apr 2011)


Actually its IBM who took a page from Apple playbook and copy the personal computer.

Also, Apple doesn't copy IBM -- Apple hates IBM since IBM can't compete in the OS business (both its PC-Dos and OS/2 lost out to MS OS, respectively) plus even IBM left the PC business.

Lastly, Apple created the modern smartphone business because IBM couldn't do it nor RIM or Nokia nor Palm nor HP, etc.

posted on 13 Jan 2012, 17:32 5

47. ChiX017 (Posts: 308; Member since: 09 Nov 2011)


true talk..

posted on 14 Jan 2012, 00:48

57. CX3NT3_713 (Posts: 1804; Member since: 18 Apr 2011)


Companys should make less android phones!!! And focus more on updating their phones!!!!

posted on 14 Jan 2012, 04:35

59. alpinejason (Posts: 262; Member since: 06 Sep 2011)


hipster?????really???whatever.

posted on 13 Jan 2012, 14:29 2

2. Knicknevin (Posts: 135; Member since: 18 Mar 2011)


So let's step back a sec and look at that last paragraph...
How is Samsung "following Apple by focusing on one flagship model each year"
does apple release 5 different phones and focus on 1 flagship?
Does Samsung release only 1 phone per year?
Apple releases 1 phone and puts ALL focus on that one phone.
Samsung releases many phones, but signals 1 specific design as a flagship, possible 1 per carrier...
The two are very different. Please, PA, don't just repeat an article for the sake of repeating it.

posted on 13 Jan 2012, 14:33 11

4. arcq12 (Posts: 733; Member since: 13 Oct 2011)


are you stupid or what? YES, Samsung releases a lot of phones but they only have 1 flagship and it's the SGS2.

posted on 13 Jan 2012, 15:11 2

23. iKingTrust (banned) (Posts: 716; Member since: 27 Jul 2011)


some people will never get it.

posted on 13 Jan 2012, 14:38 10

8. gallitoking (Posts: 4684; Member since: 17 May 2011)


you got to look at the big picture here... HTC, LG Moto dont have a flagship device.. they just released phones aftere another not focusing on a flagship which is what Apple does... Samsung has a flagship device... the Galaxys... they still popped phones every 2 weeks but their main device ,the one they saved the best for (exynos)... is their flagship device..... please PA excuse this underachiever...

posted on 13 Jan 2012, 14:32 6

3. gallitoking (Posts: 4684; Member since: 17 May 2011)


say what you want about Apple but they sure no how to hype their products... looking forward to 2012...

posted on 13 Jan 2012, 14:34 15

5. arcq12 (Posts: 733; Member since: 13 Oct 2011)


exactly, other companies are envious with Apple despite the fact that Apple's phone sucks..

posted on 13 Jan 2012, 14:41 13

9. taz89 (Posts: 2014; Member since: 03 May 2011)


they dont envy apples products but envy apples profit margins.

posted on 13 Jan 2012, 14:47 2

10. arcq12 (Posts: 733; Member since: 13 Oct 2011)


that's what I'm saying, duh?

posted on 13 Jan 2012, 15:37 4

32. ardent1 (Posts: 1991; Member since: 16 Apr 2011)


> that's what I'm saying, duh?

arcq12, you were ambiguous -- your statement is too open ended to mean a whole host of thing.

posted on 13 Jan 2012, 15:55 3

36. arcq12 (Posts: 733; Member since: 13 Oct 2011)


I don't think it was an ambigous statement, never thought someone would envy an Apple product.

posted on 13 Jan 2012, 16:00

38. ardent1 (Posts: 1991; Member since: 16 Apr 2011)


arcq12, you stated: "exactly, other companies are envious with Apple"

Don't backpedal or worm your way out after you made your statement.

"other companies are envious with Apple" is a very ambiguous comment.

posted on 13 Jan 2012, 16:15 2

42. arcq12 (Posts: 733; Member since: 13 Oct 2011)


To you, it is, but to me, it isnt.. period.. It's obvious that Android phones are more capable and better than the iPhone, thats why its not envious. HOWEVER, despite the fact that it sucks, Apple is still swimming in their pacific ocean of cash and thats what other companies are envying. end of story.

posted on 13 Jan 2012, 14:38 4

7. taz89 (Posts: 2014; Member since: 03 May 2011)


dont even think its apple who hype there product any more,the tech sites and media do it pretty much free for them..with the countless rumours created by the tech industry apple get free marketing like no one else.

posted on 13 Jan 2012, 14:36 5

6. 9_HeLLs_oF_DrOid (Posts: 123; Member since: 02 Jan 2012)


I believe PA should be changed to iPA ..!

posted on 13 Jan 2012, 14:55 5

12. Hallucinator (Posts: 344; Member since: 24 May 2010)


And your name should be changed to D-bag

posted on 13 Jan 2012, 15:23 5

29. Joshing4fun (Posts: 1047; Member since: 13 Aug 2010)


10 bucks you didn't even read the article. It's not like PA came up with it. It's all cited from another source. Some people....

posted on 13 Jan 2012, 14:48 1

11. paulyyd (Posts: 326; Member since: 08 Jan 2011)


Why is the cover picture a leaky fauschet?

posted on 13 Jan 2012, 15:05 4

16. ACCTDADDY (Posts: 12; Member since: 06 Jan 2012)


Less phones in the pipe line water not pouring out slowing to a trickle like going from releasing 25 new phones a year to 9 new phones a year less money spent on developing and more to spend on marketing also slows down tech development to allow market to catch up hardware is way ahead of software in mobile industry consumers not adopting/buying fast enough companies losing money in their investments so slow it down and market less more

posted on 13 Jan 2012, 16:01 1

39. JGuinan007 (Posts: 633; Member since: 19 May 2011)


So true, brother, but would make more sense with punctuation.

posted on 13 Jan 2012, 15:11

24. iKingTrust (banned) (Posts: 716; Member since: 27 Jul 2011)


are you serious?

posted on 13 Jan 2012, 14:57 1

13. andygallo (Posts: 39; Member since: 21 Oct 2011)


Ummm, the Digitimes source article states:

"The strategy shifts come after Apple AND SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS have apparently managed to widen their market share against rival vendors by focusing on a single or some flagship models each year, the sources noted."

Why does the PA article make it appear that everyone is only following Apple for this strategy?

I also see nothing in the DigiTimes article that says anything about "that Samsung had been following Apple by focusing on one flagship model each year." Can you please link the appropriate article?

posted on 13 Jan 2012, 14:59 4

15. Hallucinator (Posts: 344; Member since: 24 May 2010)


You android folk are whiny.

posted on 13 Jan 2012, 15:12 2

25. iKingTrust (banned) (Posts: 716; Member since: 27 Jul 2011)


lol
I noticed that too

posted on 13 Jan 2012, 15:06

17. arcq12 (Posts: 733; Member since: 13 Oct 2011)


stop hatin' man, it is what it is..

posted on 13 Jan 2012, 15:09 4

18. ACCTDADDY (Posts: 12; Member since: 06 Jan 2012)


If you put Apple in the title you get more peoples interest it's a buzz word that catches the eye right now people who like Apple see it and read article people who hate Apple see it and have to read it so they can hate Apple more like how they got you to read the article

posted on 13 Jan 2012, 14:58

14. Mobile-X-Pert (Posts: 565; Member since: 20 Dec 2010)


That´s what I´ve been saying all these years, why dont they just focus all their resources on a single flagship to compete with the iphone then release whatever featured phone they can come up with. That´s the advantage that Apple has over the other OEMs.

posted on 13 Jan 2012, 15:10 2

22. ACCTDADDY (Posts: 12; Member since: 06 Jan 2012)


Now Apple will sue over othere companies copying their bussiness model

posted on 13 Jan 2012, 15:13 2

26. iKingTrust (banned) (Posts: 716; Member since: 27 Jul 2011)


They should

posted on 14 Jan 2012, 04:52 1

60. Dark4o90 (Posts: 205; Member since: 20 Feb 2011)


because not everybody can buy their f**king iphone for a bag of money despite the fact that it sucks at all and there have to be different models from a single company so they can cover the whole market not one f**king ridiculous phone per year

posted on 13 Jan 2012, 15:10 1

20. DROIDX0430 (Posts: 409; Member since: 24 Nov 2010)


Why...because theyhave exhausted all measures...what else can you add. We allbknow quad core is in the talks...but really do you need that.. at the pace motola is going with the og droid.. 4 in only 2 years two months after og droid first release...way too many. Just think if you would have had a two year contract when you purchased that phone...look how far you are behind.. see what i am. saying...droid 4 is on the horizon...and you finally get to upgrade from your og droid you purchased october 2009....two years and two months. 4 releases one one phone.

posted on 13 Jan 2012, 15:16 3

27. Animorphed (Posts: 7; Member since: 28 Oct 2011)


I agree with most comments on this post... A completely fail post and bad interpretation on the side of PA. Apple only releases a single phone because that is a part of their refreshed product line and Apple's line is a limited set. Other manufactures releasing less phones has nothing to do with Apple and more to do with a flooded market. Seriously PA, you all need to get it together if you want to be a trusted source of information for the mobile market. Many of your stories are Apple slants and it's sad to see a "news" outlet falling for Apple marketing so often. How are consumers supposed to come to a site like this for information if all you do is repeat stupid stories with bad information. For those of you trying to make this into and android/iOS war, this has nothing to do with Android either. This only deals with phone manufactures reducing the number of phones they produce in a year to reduce market flooding as they did last year. Side note, Apple is not a phone manufacturer but a limited complete computing line manufacturer. The companies listed above are only mobile device manufactures unlike Apple. Before someone tries to correct that, Samsung and Sony both operate separate mobile divisions for those products and are not part of their TV, Electronics, Computer, or any other product division. Final note to Mobile-X-Pert, the advantage Apple has is not just in a single flagship phone as Apple's phone tech is generally behind. Their advantage is in their product brand and their own successful OS that you cannot get on any other phone.

posted on 13 Jan 2012, 15:47

34. ardent1 (Posts: 1991; Member since: 16 Apr 2011)


> Other manufactures releasing less phones has nothing to do with Apple and more to do with a flooded market.

Ahem, Animorphed did forget the simple fact that Apple also sells its iPhones in this flooded market???

Why is it when android OEMs have a problem in the smartphone market, the android camp quickly makes excuses. And when Apple doesn't have the same problem despite selling in the same flooded market, the same android camp holds Apple to a different and higher standard.

If the market is flooded, it must be true to all android OEMs, Apple, RIM, etc. Come on Animorphed, you can do better.

posted on 14 Jan 2012, 04:58

61. Dark4o90 (Posts: 205; Member since: 20 Feb 2011)


->Ahem, Animorphed did forget the simple fact that Apple also sells its iPhones in this flooded market???
are you stupid iphone costs much more than androids so what flooded market are you talking about when they stays in the most expensive part of the market

posted on 14 Jan 2012, 11:53 1

64. Animorphed (Posts: 7; Member since: 28 Oct 2011)


Also, @Dark4o90: I'm not sure which side of the coin you were on there but just so you are aware, at least on Verizon, the iPhone 4s holds the same price bracket as the high-end Android hansets. If you were referring to the cost to make the handsets I don't have that information so I can't comment on it.

posted on 15 Jan 2012, 18:28

79. ardent1 (Posts: 1991; Member since: 16 Apr 2011)


> iphone costs much more than androids so what flooded market are you talking about when they stays in the most expensive part of the market

Don't forget, if Apple products are so expensive relative to android devices, and given it is a flooded market, then how do Apple succeed at generating ever greater sales of their phones?

posted on 14 Jan 2012, 11:48 1

63. Animorphed (Posts: 7; Member since: 28 Oct 2011)


@ Ardent: Spoken like a true Apple fan-boy. Let me clarify for those of you..

The "flooded" market I was referring to was only within the Android market itself. When a single company pushes out a number of phones all with the same OS and closely identical specs. Since you wanted to bring this up as an Apple vs Android issue, Android is having no issue outselling the iPhone across all devices so I'm not sure what problem you think other OEMs are having that Apple is not. The only issue at hand is that Android OEM's are reducing the number of handsets they push out so as not to flood the android market with the same phone in a slightly different skin. That's it. Nothing to do with Apple at all. I still stand by my statement that PA has skewed another story and misinformed Apple fans like yourself attempt to start some iPhone crusade.
There you have it, you're response. I feel like I'm feeding trolls but its not fair to other users looking for real info that I not reply.
(In case you are still confused, 3 iPhones, handful of WP7 and Blackberry devices, and 35+ android handsets.. which of those appears flooded to you?)

posted on 15 Jan 2012, 18:32

80. ardent1 (Posts: 1991; Member since: 16 Apr 2011)


> was only within the Android market itself.

Yes, once again an android fanboy tries worms his was out after putting his foot in his mouth. Again, it's the double standard argument --- a lower standard for android but a higher standard for Apple.

> which of those appears flooded to you?

DUH, it's ONE market!!! It's called the "smartphone market". If you are confused, just ask independent third party market survey takers.

posted on 13 Jan 2012, 15:17 2

28. Jeradiah3 (Posts: 998; Member since: 11 Feb 2010)


it doesnt matter what they do because these companies are all after one thing....................our money!!! I will say that Apple has done a good job in marketing and the chaos in China in a great example lol

on the other hand, as long as there are phones to supply consumers demands from from feature phones to smartphones, all is well in the world

posted on 13 Jan 2012, 15:31

30. NateCdogg (Posts: 5; Member since: 30 Dec 2011)


In a related anouncement apple stated today that they will not introduce any new devices through 2015. Apple will sell the original Iphone from 2007 on all carriers...

posted on 13 Jan 2012, 15:43

33. speckledapple (Posts: 879; Member since: 29 Sep 2011)


Personally regardless of the Apple association, this is something they should have done ages ago. The reason is simple, too many devices, too many choices, not enough support, new phones get old very fast. It was going to eventually hurt the industry so this is a good thing. They should just make sure they have enough support on these devices and offer proper upgrades and they all should be fine. With Android 4.0, there was a focus on a much more refined OS, now its time for producers to refine their releases.

posted on 13 Jan 2012, 15:52

35. ghost__uwi (Posts: 175; Member since: 28 Nov 2011)


I agree with this. That way when I buy a phone the next day it will still be up to date.

posted on 13 Jan 2012, 15:58 1

37. hepresearch (unregistered)


I have been saying this for months... everyone who truly wants to succeed will have to follow in Apple's footsteps. I don't like it, either, but that doesn't change the fact that it is true. Even many Apple customers don't like the way Apple does things, but they will still loyally follow Apple because Apple knows how to get a response from them just as much as from everyone else. Other OEM's have watched for the past five years, and now the converging truth about current developing consumer behavior and manipulative marketing strategies is demanding that the successful behave the same overall way that Apple does... otherwise, they will fail to be as successful as they would like to be.

As long as most people are willing to loyally bleed themselves dry for these products, lining up at the store front hours before product release and then clawing their way past their fellow consumers to the front door, just because of the regular release schedules, the social mainstreaming and popularization, and the manipulative marketing ploys, things will not change for the better any time soon.

posted on 13 Jan 2012, 16:13

41. ardent1 (Posts: 1991; Member since: 16 Apr 2011)


> Even many Apple customers don't like the way Apple does things, but they will still loyally follow Apple because Apple knows how to get a response from them just as much as from everyone else

There's a major flaw in your position. Apple is growing its market share by gaining new Apple newbies -- people who never owned Apple products before. I understand your evanglical views of Apple fanaticism, but that doesn't explain the new recruits to Apple's continued market position despite the Android cartel.

posted on 13 Jan 2012, 17:12

45. hepresearch (unregistered)


Yes, Ardent, I know... I am likely to be one of those Apple newbies in due time. Not because I like the way they run their business and marketing, but because the iPhone is the best solution for my particular needs and desires... I will essentially be selling my soul in the process, but what choice will I have?

I was actually referring to a dozen or so of my friends who have stood in the Apple store line several years in a row for each new iPhone (and sometimes for iPads as well)... they always say how much they hate it that they have to stand in a line to be first to the store on launch day, and yet they do the same thing every year. About half of them are at Berkeley, so I understand it might be the "hip" thing to do when living close enough to Cupertino, but they still say they hate it. And then continue to do the same thing anyway...

As you have said, Apple is gaining market share, and I doubt anyone will truly oppose. Especially with the new patent base that they are developing regarding future tech to enhance or replace touchscreens, I just do not see anyone else being able to develop anything original that could possibly replace or unseat the iProducts. Also, the litigation process will inevitably raise the price of truly competitive products, and the iPhone will remain steady in value as other competing hardware rises in expense. Apple's rule and reign, as long as people are stuck in the "I want, I want, I want... Me, mine, mine..." attitude, will continue unabated, at least until the steady silicon supply runs out...

posted on 13 Jan 2012, 21:03

52. 530gemini (Posts: 2198; Member since: 09 Sep 2010)


Consumers will always have a choice. But the truth is, iphone is just too good not to be considered, even by those who hate Apple's way of business. I was in that position. I loved my N95 and resisted the iphone when it first came out. That's why I missed the first iphone. I hated Apple's walled approach. But the more I played with the iphone at Apple stores, the more I was drawn to it, until I couldn't resist it anymore. Was there magic? Nope. Was there hypnotism? Nope. Was there brainwashing? Nope. There was just that product that works really well as it supposed to. After that, there was no turning back. And the more I got into Apple products, the more I understood why they do the things they do. And it all made sense.

If others want to compete with Apple, then they better come up with devices that works as well as Apple's idevices. That's all it would take. Obviously, android has fallen short. And the only reason why android is doing well, is because it's a decent alternative for idevices. And now that winmo is getting some attention, android should really watch out in 2012.

posted on 13 Jan 2012, 23:27

56. Johnny_Mnemonic (Posts: 240; Member since: 05 Oct 2011)


I agree you have been brainwashed Applehead

posted on 14 Jan 2012, 15:10

67. 530gemini (Posts: 2198; Member since: 09 Sep 2010)


@johnny. Look up the definition of brainwash birdbrain :)

posted on 14 Jan 2012, 17:35

71. Johnny_Mnemonic (Posts: 240; Member since: 05 Oct 2011)


Ok Applehead , by the way your friend gallito is the birdbrain

Want to comment? Please login or register.

Latest stories