Doctor treats a 4 year British girl with Apple iPad addiction
Dr.Graham's clinic charges £16,000 a month ($24,377.60 USD) for his digital detox program which is designed to treat those addicted to tablets and other devices by weaning them off the devices. Some of his clients spend 36 hours straight online and some have up to 20 Facebook accounts. The U.K.'s National Health System is set to recognize Internet Addiction Disorder with General Practitioners getting to see the term listed in new manuals.
source: news.com.au via TechRadar
1. FlushGordon (unregistered)
That digital detox clinic is even more rip-off than the iPad itself.
9. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5282; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Whatever happened to time-outs or, God forbid, a spanking when tantrums got out of hand? Digital detox is a scam on the National Health System. No wonder costs are rising.
2. TheRetroReplay (Posts: 239; Member since: 20 Mar 2012)
£16,000 a month ($24,377.60 USD)
That doctor is scamming those parents and taking them for all their worth.
I'll offer them my treatment of only a one time charge of $1000, its called take the iPad away, tell the child no and send them to their room. The technique is called parenting.
8. samystic (Posts: 187; Member since: 25 Mar 2012)
i just logged in to give your comment a 'thumbs up'! others are judgmental to say the least
14. EXkurogane (Posts: 863; Member since: 07 Mar 2013)
This is why i took up medical field as a career since i was qualified for it, though im in Dentistry. Pay and professional fees are relatively high (just land a job in a hospital instead of opening your own clinic) compared to all other fields in my country. And for Dentistry, working hours are only on weekdays at office hours with no emergency calls or overtime.
24. dragonstkdgirl (Posts: 144; Member since: 07 Apr 2012)
I logged in to give a little green too lol
3. moronman66 (Posts: 157; Member since: 09 Jan 2012)
These parents either have no free time to deal with a child and probably should have waited to have said child, or they just don't care about her enough to be around her, they deserve to pay that much money per month for BS!
4. Syksyd (Posts: 54; Member since: 16 Apr 2010)
If this doctor can scam that much $$ off of dumb ass parents who dont have balls to tell their kids no and take that s**t away.....i say get ur $$ doc.....these parents are fukn dumb!!!!
5. quakan (Posts: 1079; Member since: 02 Mar 2011)
Lmao at the doctor labeling the girl having a temper tantrum as "withdrawal" as if she's a drug addict. Someone should tell the parents that temper tantrums are normal for a child and the only way to stop it is to let them know they can't always have their way and stick to it. I can guarantee if you give a child any toy, game, etc and then take it away they will get upset.
Sidenote: Scam Artist of The Year: Dr. Richard Graham
6. KFear (Posts: 135; Member since: 06 Feb 2012)
She's not addicted to the Ipad, she's addicted to the hormone that is induced into the brain from playing video games. She would balance back out after a week or two of no video games. Best to distract her with a new present like a coloring book or offer up a new outdoor activity.
Or just smash the ipad in front of her. Go cold turkey. :)
7. eisenbricher (Posts: 964; Member since: 09 Aug 2012)
I respectfully forgive Apple. I just found the greediest being on the planet.
10. techloverNYC (Posts: 254; Member since: 20 Nov 2012)
first world country problem.......
The parents could have solve the problem by smacking the kids. Spoil brats......
15. xperiaDROID (Posts: 4830; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
I agree with you, those spoil brats.......geez! But smacking them is illegal you know? You will be arrested if you do that! :P
18. Azure01 (Posts: 126; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
And thats the problem with this day and age. A lot of us were raised in a time where parents couldn't get arrested for disciplining their child, all of a sudden you can't even raise your children anymore..Damn shame.
19. xperiaDROID (Posts: 4830; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
(sigh) Yup, life is complicated............ :(
21. donfem (Posts: 480; Member since: 30 Mar 2011)
Unfortunately, the society helps raise a child they neer help you have.. Same society wll send the child to jail as fast as possible.
11. PermanentHiatus (Posts: 237; Member since: 22 Jun 2012)
So iPad is like crack for kids. I smell a lawsuit.
12. anywherehome (Posts: 971; Member since: 13 Dec 2011)
no, kids are the real and appropriate customers of iToys :)
13. OpTiMuS_BlAcK (Posts: 411; Member since: 04 May 2012)
At least it's not drugs. Anyways, I should get a job like that, way too easy.
20. donfem (Posts: 480; Member since: 30 Mar 2011)
All of them are plain dumb... Which is easier, taking the pad away or paying the doctor to help take it away?
22. Rayvelynn (Posts: 123; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
Give her a good spanking that will stop that. Man people don't know how to be parents anymore. How you gonna let your own kid rule you. Get Yo Life! What bills are they paying? What food are they putting on the table. These "so called parents" need to be slapped. LOL
23. scriptwriter (Posts: 396; Member since: 13 Nov 2012)
thing is though, you could say that about any toddler / young child with any toy. Take the ipad away, put her to bed, and let her scream and shout all night. She'll eventurlly quiet down when she forget what shes upset about. As the 'TheRetroReply' says above,: this is called parenting.