Bamboo back cover for OnePlus One to cost $49
Because of the natural design of the bamboo, no two back panels will look the same, adding a degree of customization to the phone. Although the bamboo is the only StyleSwap cover soon to be available, other back panel replacements are expected before the end of the year. Those include back covers made of denim, different variations of wood, and Kevlar. There is no word from the manufacturer on when these other options will be available. All of the StyleSwap covers will be priced at $49.
The default covers for the Silk White and the Sandstone Black versions of the phone have also appeared on the OnePlus website. These will be priced at $29 each. OnePlus has released a video about the bamboo back cover, along with one showing the finer points of replacing the back plate. You can view both of them by clicking on the video slideshow, below.
Bamboo back cover for the OnePlus One
source: OnePlus (1), (2) via AndroidAuthority
1. FoneAddict (Posts: 202; Member since: 05 Jul 2011)
Too much. It should cost no more than $20.
14. WahyuWisnu (Posts: 1001; Member since: 29 May 2014)
Affordable phone, but EXPENSIVE cover replacement?? Really???
15. Frostburn (Posts: 3; Member since: 12 Jul 2014)
To be honest it makes sense, the Nexus 5 did the same thing. Due to the fact that the phone is so cheap, they are making no profit/a loss from each device. So in order to compensate they get the majority of their profits from the overpriced accessories. For evidence, just look how overpriced the Nexus 5's bumper case is.
16. WahyuWisnu (Posts: 1001; Member since: 29 May 2014)
Nexus 5 bumper case is not cheap, That's right. Not cheap, but still acceptable price. But this cover replacement @$50 it would be a failure. Which is not good. I was hoping that OPO (oneplus one) can start a trend about this unique back cover.
17. Frostburn (Posts: 3; Member since: 12 Jul 2014)
I would assume that bamboo back cover would cost a decent amount to make to start of with. The Nexus 5's rubber was probably really cheap, making the profit price reasonable.
18. WahyuWisnu (Posts: 1001; Member since: 29 May 2014)
I just notice that. I hope the other material, will not be as expensive as bamboo.
3. o0Exia0o (Posts: 348; Member since: 01 Feb 2013)
I hear that you will have to have an invite to receive the bamboo back also!
5. ihavenoname (Posts: 1376; Member since: 18 Aug 2013)
Actually OnePlus throws 500 of these to Pacific Ocean and you have to get invite to solve a puzzle and if you solve it they will tell you estimated location.
And yeah, you need to own a OnePlus One to enter.
4. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5478; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
LOL! What people gonna do with this back cover? :D
6. CanYouSeeTheLight (Posts: 814; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
I'm pretty sure two of the five owners must be very happy with this news, good job PhoneArena.
7. sarb009 (Posts: 286; Member since: 15 Jun 2011)
Can i use it for another phone ? Because almost nobody can buy 1+1 = $h1t
9. gaara6775 (Posts: 278; Member since: 20 May 2014)
Plot twist- you can't buy this unless you have an invite.
10. DnB925Art (Posts: 206; Member since: 23 May 2013)
Just received my OPO last Saturday (I was the the ~15,000 registered user on their website) after getting my invite last week. I believe they went up to the ~35,000th registered user in their invite system, so roughly there are 35,000 OPOs that have been sold so far.
11. Planterz (Posts: 751; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
I'd buy one for my OnePlus One...
IF I #$@&ING HAD ONE!!!!!!
12. 0xFFFF (Posts: 2962; Member since: 16 Apr 2014)
"For those desirous of a unique, "emperor's new back cover for the emperor's new phone", look for their handset, the Bamboozle back cover for the OnePlus One has been priced at $49."