Apple copied us with gold Apple iPhone 5s hints Samsung
As it turns out, the first Samsung Galaxy S4 in gold was announced for the UAE on August 27th, and was sold on September 8th. That means that the gold version of Samsung's Android flagship was being sold two days before the gold Apple iPhone 5s was even introduced.
But Apple fans could counter that leaks about a champagne colored iPhone went back to earlier in the summer. Samsung could then produce evidence that it has a history with gold colored phones going back to the Anycall SCH-E470, SPH-E3200 and SPH-E3250 from 2004. And while not all of the models below were commercially available (at least one was a prop from a hit movie), it looks like Samsung's use of gold on a handset predates Apple's decision to build a gold iPhone 5s.
Some gold Samsung phones predate the Apple iPhone Fullscreen
More popular slideshows
iOS 7 release date and time are today (Sep 18), get ready to update!
18 Sep 2013, 04:00
Samsung Galaxy S5 rumor round-up: release date, price and specs
03 Dec 2013, 05:54
Cyber Monday 2013 deals on phones, tablets and other electronics
01 Dec 2013, 10:55
Android 4.4 KitKat update: release date, features and rumors
31 Oct 2013, 02:31
Some gold Samsung phones predate the Apple iPhone
1. Samsung gold model from 2004 for the Athens Olympics
2. Gold phone used in Ocean's 13
3. Samsung E848 produced for Beijing Olympics
4. Samsung SCH-Z00S
5. Samsung Galaxy Golden
source: SamsungTomorrow via AppleInsider
1. Shatter (Posts: 1652; Member since: 29 May 2013)
Galaxy Golden is the only recent one, the others are dinosaurs.
26. squallz506 (banned) (Posts: 1075; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
I invented the gold phone years before Samsung and apple ever existed. I'll see those fahkers in court.
42. MobileKicker (Posts: 207; Member since: 19 Sep 2013)
They al copied blackberry q10 gold edition
51. amats69 (Posts: 730; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
Look how horrible samsung phones before!lol..they improved their design after apple releases the iphne.hahaha
67. PapaSmurf (Posts: 4173; Member since: 14 May 2012)
That's how all phones looked when they released. You had to troll didn't you?
79. amats69 (Posts: 730; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
Hahaha.relax. Im just stating a fact that after the iphone is release the design of samsung phones changed also...dont tell me you didnt noticed it? Oh just open your eyes and youll see it. Believe me.lol
81. AppleJuice (Posts: 9; Member since: 12 Sep 2013)
Those are feature phones, not smartphones.
131. Shatter (Posts: 1652; Member since: 29 May 2013)
The Galaxy Golden is not a feature phone. Look it up.
105. alpinejason (Posts: 218; Member since: 06 Sep 2011)
not all i still use my stainless steel nokia 8801.and believe me people still make comments like that is the most beautiful phone they have ever seen and i agree thats why i still have it.along with my n95 iphone 5s and thinking about buying n9 also
165. chocolaking (Posts: 411; Member since: 22 May 2012)
Lol... so true..
the galaxy 2 was a direct copy paste of the iphone
64. MartyK (Posts: 651; Member since: 11 Apr 2012)
As it turns out, the first Samsung Galaxy S4 in gold was announced for the UAE on August 27th, and was sold on September 8th.
Hope this helps
65. MobileKicker (Posts: 207; Member since: 19 Sep 2013)
Cause they saw leaked images of the 5s in gold
68. PapaSmurf (Posts: 4173; Member since: 14 May 2012)
You should probably read the article insted of jumping straight into the comment section. I just saying...
93. AKumar47 (Posts: 48; Member since: 11 Sep 2013)
it's very clear that Sammy respects apple so much... haha! from 64bit/chipsets to gold ones... I think apple owns Samsung, did they??? haha!
132. tedkord (Posts: 3409; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Tards gotta tard, I guess. ARM announced that 64bit CPUs were coming long before the iPhone 5s. Samsung, like Apple, makes it's CPUs based on ARM reference designs. 64bit was coming regardless of either Apple or Samsung. Apple simply rushed it out so they could claim to be first. By 2018 they might have a device it well matter in.
133. Ninetysix (Posts: 928; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
Loling at this statement so hard. Damn you Apple for rushing the A7 chip! Every single smartphone that comes out nowadays is being compared to the iPhone but hey....the iPhones doesn't matter anyways.
135. tedkord (Posts: 3409; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
The rushed out part is where ARM announced they were going 64bit long ago and that it would be here early next year - guess what kind of CPU iPhones have.
It also references 64bit being virtually zero sum with less than 4gb of ram.
So yes, they rushed 64bit out for marketing reasons. That doesn't mean they shouldn't have. It was just the next thing that was always going to happen anyway.
138. Ninetysix (Posts: 928; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
What would you post in the PA article when Samsung releases the Galaxy S5 with a 64bit SOC and only 3GB of RAM?
142. Ant34 (Posts: 64; Member since: 10 Aug 2013)
Android manufacturers are known for throwing the latest hardware into their phones regardless if they need it or not. 1080P phones are not really needed but most Android manufacturers are moving in that direction. Android phones are starting to appear with 4K videos.They're always pushing the limit.
149. stealthd (Posts: 747; Member since: 12 Jun 2011)
a) having more than 4GB is not the only benefit of a 64-bit architecture
b) you seem to not know what the term "zero sum" means
156. WallStreetWolf (Posts: 10; Member since: 08 Apr 2013)
Ted, you are correct regarding the reference designs, but are you saying that 64 bit processing had a negligible involvement in the performance gains of the 5S? The Anandtech review of the device clearly outlined the performance attributes of the chip and came to the conclusion that the 64 bit transition amounts to much more than how much memory is addressed.
Also, Apple switching to 64 bit also prepares them for an easy transition for future iPhone and iOS releases. They haven't really endured fragmentation and moving its masses of loyal iCustomers into the new ISA environment is a good thing.
159. AKumar47 (Posts: 48; Member since: 11 Sep 2013)
true that! haha! ios to osx and wp8 to 8.1/9.0 and android??? well, I don't know... haha!
160. AKumar47 (Posts: 48; Member since: 11 Sep 2013)
DUDE WE ARE TALKING ABOUT SMARTPHONES HERE, YOU ARE IN THE WRONG PLACE AT THE WRONG TIME! haha! wait until apple and wp8 utilizes 64bit by OSX and W8.1/9.0 haha! good luck android users...
127. Dorothy69 (banned) (Posts: 498; Member since: 21 May 2013)
Nevertheless, it shows that Samsung has always been at the forefront of design and aesthetics. Samsung has always tested with various colors in different markets and it wasn't until someone at hell's gates in Cupertino said "ooooh let's make something new and exciting and never done before (even if it already has been done, we'll just pretend to be the first), let's make a gold iPhone because we need something new and fresh for six more months until we can get the iPhone 6 out". Truth is that gold phones have existed in other markets before and, in some cases, they have either been gold or gold-plated. Can't wait for the gold on that 5S to rub off as, I'm sure it's just cheap Krylon.
166. ya4dang1 (Posts: 1; Member since: 18 Nov 2013)
Nevertheless, Samsung's old golden phone didn't sell like hotcakes as Apple's 5S.
I guess it could be the esteem value in which Samsung's products are lacking. People do not feel luxurious owning a Samsung.
2. ardent1 (Posts: 1863; Member since: 16 Apr 2011)
Apple was stockpiling its Gold colored phones before the official launch and there were numerous leaks regarding Apple using gold as a new color for its iPhones.
Apple's iPhone is a smartphone as opposed to the record breaking pent-up demand of Samsung's gold colored basic phone. I understand there huge lines of fans waiting for days for a gold color basic phone, but no one took these lines seriously because it was all in Samsung's dreams!
3. Shatter (Posts: 1652; Member since: 29 May 2013)
I love how every page on Apple.com is full of lies and tricks to milk their customers.
29. giani (Posts: 115; Member since: 13 Nov 2012)
Yeah man, and when we are after the absolute truth we can always go back on sammy.com I just love how sammy takes good care of us, protects us, heck even pays us (blink). Screw you apple ! Don't you ever ever dare to say sammy is another blatant dirty massive corporation just like every other massive corporation who only has interest for cash flow and share holders! No sammy is so different !
God brother you speak the truth !
31. darkkjedii (Posts: 7753; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Absolutely love what you did there. Shatters heart is shattered. +1
125. werthedroids (Posts: 40; Member since: 15 Sep 2013)
sure, every company wants to sell their stuff. but apple markets at a subconcious level in order to zombify people like you. how do you think they can sell so many units of absolutely pathetic products? why do you think there are so many iSh33p out there and Apple hasn't gone bankrupt yet?
33. Trex95 (Posts: 482; Member since: 03 Mar 2013)
Exactly like what Samsung lies about Octa core on SGS4 and now Note 3 Octa core with 39fps in epic citadel benchmark plus snapdragon variant that beats by Lg g2 and xperia z1 in benchmark lol.
70. giani (Posts: 115; Member since: 13 Nov 2012)
I know it's sounds dumb...but what happen to that real leather on the back of note 3 ?! All the plastic trolls got so excited on the launch date...but when people actually realised it's just a trick made of the same old boring PLASTIC everyone just got quiet...oh...my..
Again I'm not accusing or defending any one but this hard core sammy fan boys (not the paid ones) have become exactly like the fruit fanatics..if not worse..
103. papss (Posts: 2172; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
What? Its not faux leather? Just hard plastic
136. tedkord (Posts: 3409; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
No one cares about the back of the Note. If you don't like it then with $10 and two days time you can have whatever back cover you want from Amazon.
130. stealthd (Posts: 747; Member since: 12 Jun 2011)
I love how you make a completely irrelevent reply and the rabid Apple haters mindlessly click thumbs up. It's so funny.
16. cj100570 (Posts: 188; Member since: 12 May 2009)
The truth hurts huh? It doesn't matter whether the previous Samsung phones were smart phones or not. What matters is that all the claims of Samsung releasing a gold phone because Apple did it have no basis in reality. They've done so for years dating back to 2004! Not to mention the gold S4 was released weeks before the 5S was announced. That means it had to have been in production for weeks prior to that. But you'd have us believe that Samsung invested time, effort and money to release it in response to rumors? If that were so, why didn't they also introduce a 64 bit version? They are the manufacturer of the processor on the 5S and therefore knew about it long before it was introduced in the 5S. Your logic fails on multiple, no, every and is quite sad that your iTard mentality won't let you just accept the truth.
44. Martin_Cooper (Posts: 122; Member since: 30 Jul 2013)
1. They said they will be using 64bit next year.
2. You say it takes weeks to add a freaking colour? We saw golden iphone weeks for months now. Isnt it possible that Sammy saw it and they rushed to make an S4 in golden colour after apple since they didnt want to get embarrassed releasing a golden S4 before apple did it so no one can say that it looks just funny?
2. No ONE EVER said apple invented a gold colour phone. They are the FIRST ONE who made a golden colour phone that is actually cool and people love it unlike crap from Samsung in the past that looked like a pimp phone.
3. But-hurt eh arent we?
4. Embrace the competition instead of judging everything apple does. If you want all the phones to be android and from Samsung its called monopoly and monopoly is the WORST thing ever for us the consumers.
58. DONUT (Posts: 137; Member since: 27 Jun 2013)
COSIGN!!! PRAISE THE LORD FOR UR COMMENT! but alas samsung fanboys (alas willard12) wont face the truth that Samsung follows Apple by the book. both point number 2 is what ive been trying to say all this time!
60. ady_lad (Posts: 47; Member since: 17 Jul 2013)
Wrooong...Nokia made thegold colour cool...look at phones like Nokia 6700 classic.
101. silencer271 (Posts: 109; Member since: 05 Apr 2013)
1. They make the chip for apple so why wouldnt they release there own version?
2. butt hurt that gold been out before apple much are ya?
3. you sound butt hurt
4. apple doesnt embrace the competition they get mad when others do better then them and try and sue because they lack innovation.
112. Martin_Cooper (Posts: 122; Member since: 30 Jul 2013)
tell me one mobile with gold colour that people went crazy about and it was sold out before going for sale? Nokia did some cool ones but too expensive, samsung did many but no one cared. If anyone is butthurt are the samsung fans that apple made a gold iphone that people love while samsung cant make one single phone in gold colour in the past 10 years that anyone would even care for.
128. werthedroids (Posts: 40; Member since: 15 Sep 2013)
you apple fans are SO thick. 1st Samsung wasn't trying to make a popular gold phone. they were by no means their flagships, unlike apple, who are pouring tons of time and money in to making and marketing their latest piece of iJunk 2. Apple has a huge amount of stupid iFans zombified by their marketing and shiny designs and pretty colors (like u)
137. tedkord (Posts: 3409; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
And there is iFan logic. It's not who did it first, it's who sold a lot first. That's exactly how Apple feels about patents.
140. willard12 (Posts: 375; Member since: 04 Jul 2012)
Dude, first of all, you can't count (1,2,2,4). Secondly, you all keep changing the topic to "suits your needs." First, the issue is "copying". Now, since copying was proven to be a non-issue, the issue is which golden phone is more popular. No one has ever disputed that the loyal apple fans will make anything they do popular. Apple made siri popular even though it was an app in every platform. Apple could sell you fire in hell and you'd wait on the side walk for it if Tim Cook told you how awesome it was.
77. kabhijeet.16 (Posts: 392; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
Accepting truth for IFans is difficult...
114. Martin_Cooper (Posts: 122; Member since: 30 Jul 2013)
What truth ? I knew about gold phones since the first ones by nokia, LONG time before samsung. No one ever claimed apple did it first. Some sites reported that its weird that samsung is making a gold S4 right after gold iphone 5S and all the butthurt samsung fanboys went crazy over those posts. HOW dare they speculate over samsung when they did gold phones before Samsung! Something no one speculated. Poeple just think its weird that sammy makes gold flagship S4 right after apples 5S. Nothing more.
161. AKumar47 (Posts: 48; Member since: 11 Sep 2013)
DUDE APPLE DESIGNED THE CHIP AND JUST PRODUCED BY SAMSUNG AND SOON THEY WILL USE IT TOO THEREFORE ALL SAMSUNG PHONES ARE DESINGED AND COPIED FROM APPLE, THATS THE LOGIC... HAHA! IN ADDITION FIGURATIVELY SPEAKING "5"S IS GREATER THAN THE S"4" AND IOS7 THAN ANDROID4.SOMETHING HAHA!
20. willard12 (Posts: 375; Member since: 04 Jul 2012)
So, what you're saying is, a company can do something a 100 times. But, when apple decides to do it they must cease. If you do something after apple, and their "dedicated" customers make apple's version successful, then you are copying if you continue to do what you've been doing. Like slide to unlock and the rounded corner. Though it existed before, you have to stop when apple implements it because they sold more than you. Thanks, got it.
61. Martin_Cooper (Posts: 122; Member since: 30 Jul 2013)
Beside some but hurt apple fans no one ever said Samsung is COPYING apples gold colour. What is happening is that apple brought back gold colour that used to be funny and look like you a pimp holding a golden one. Remember the 8800 Nokia in gold that cost like 1500$ and looked hideous ? So to my point, apples makes for the first time a nice looking golden phone. Actually its less golden but more like a champagne colour if you know what I mean. And then suddenly Samsung remembers the gold colour. No one says Samsung is copying. The made gold phones for years. But they TEND to remember some things right after apple brings them, back. Get it now?
69. PapaSmurf (Posts: 4173; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Can you please explain the last picture of the slideshow for me please? I'm having a a hard time trying to figure out when that phone was released.
Lol you couldn't be more wrong could you?
78. kabhijeet.16 (Posts: 392; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
Samsung sold gold S4 even before gold iPhone was announced.. Read the article...
141. willard12 (Posts: 375; Member since: 04 Jul 2012)
They galaxy golden came out just a few months ago, the s4 golden came out before the champagne iphone. So, you have no point.
22. Sniggly (Posts: 6197; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
As much as I have lost interest in defending Samsung, and as much as I know they don't need help from a commenter on the Internet, I must point out that Samsung's been putting out different colored variants of its flagships for the last three models straight. The Galaxy S3 ultimately came in blue, white, black, brown, red, and as I recall, purple. The Galaxy S4 has come in many of the same colors, so why is it so hard to imagine that Samsung had a gold version slated for release as well?
Furthermore, even if they announced the gold version as a response to strong demand for the gold iPhone 5s, so what? If we were to start listing things Apple has lifted from its competitors in response to their popularity we'd end up writing a short book.
Samsung is right about one thing: Apple doesn't even come close to having a monopoly on a goddamn color.