Notification Center

This is our new notification center. Inside, you will find updates on the most important things happening right now.

Notifications

Hmm, push notifications seem to be disabled in your browser. You can enable them from the 'Settings' icon in the URL bar of your browser.

www.phonearena.com

Sony Xperia 5 II User Reviews Back

buccob posted on Apr 06, 2021, 9:39 PM
Posts: 3064; Member since: Jun 19, 2012

Posting the real score for this underrated device.

buccob has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

Sony Xperia 5 II XQ-AS72 (256GB of storage, 8GB of RAM)
My honeymoon is over with this Xperia 5 II, however it doesn't mean I see lots of cracks and failures in the device, it is not perfect, but it is very much perfect for my needs.
Great build quality, but it is very slippery without any case or skin on it.
Awesome 120Hz display with black insertion frames in games to simulate 240Hz (not noticeable for me) and a very fast touch rate sample. It is very responsive.
Great camera system... a little underperforming in Auto at night or against other devices with better Computational Photography, but manual mode is awesome for people who can appreciate it.
Good battery life, specially for the size of the device. In my personal experience it gets a little over 6 hours if I charge to 90% (which is the usual setting for me in the battery care options) but it can go over 7 hours maybe 8 from a 100% charge. The real time is about 40 hours which is more than enough for me, other people will get even better numbers with lighter use.
Heat suppression is an awesome feature to help preserve the battery life of the device.

Miscellaneous features:
- 3.5mm jack for your wired audio needs.
- Truly front facing speakers with balanced sound and good stereo separation. Great for games and movies.
- MicroSD card slot shared with the dual sim slot.
- Side fingerprint scanner (The best location in my personal experience, Index and Thumb fingers fall naturally to the location of the scanner and it is...

This device feels very sturdy in the hand. The curved frame is both comfortable and rigid. I haven't dropped it yet, but whether I like it or not it will happen eventually and I will update accordingly. Everything else is just top notch build as one would expect from this price bracket.
Haven't had any issues in this regard. But in my country we haven't got 5G either so I can't comment in that specific feature. But it works as intended for the other signals
No issues here. Good call quality and clear sound coming from the speakers as both, earpiece and loud speaker phone.
Good WiFi reach. Tested on 4 and 5 generation networks. Will update when I try WiFi 6. No issues here, it transition between signals without problem.
This device is a multimedia beast. Watching movies on any phone is not the ideal situation, but it is a great alternative when you are stuck at a hospital for a few days (true story) or when you lay in bed while the TV is use for something else. A laptop/tablet will always trump in terms of size but it will be a bit more uncomfortable to hold in certain situations. The sound coming from the speakers is very clear (Dolby Atmos enabled) and while I though the Dynamic Vibration System was gonna be
The camera is very good but I'll just say that the AI is not up to par versus Google, Samsung and Apple. It is not bad by any means, is just that the results underperform in certain situations However the manual mode is heaven for people who enjoy photography and it allows for more flexibility than its rivals. Front facing camera at 8MP is better than my previous 13MP auto focus one... but it will not impress people looking to take vanity shots most of the time. Now the rear cameras are versatil
120Hz enabled it flies. Very fluid, responsive and the touch tracking is extremely satisfying, specially in games.
the tall aspect ratio makes this device great for one handed use and texting is very comfortable in portrait. Landscape however is not my cup of tea, but I almost never get to type this way.
Could be brighter. That's it. Otherwise is very fast, with great accurate colors, the density is more than enough and I'll say it again, the 21:9 aspect ratio is just awesome.
Very good battery life. I am glad that they upgraded this series to a 4K mAh battery. I haven't experienced ridiculously long SOT but it is a reliable 6~7 hours when charged between 90 and 100%. Day and a half almost 2 days device.

Pros

• Fast, responsive and accurate display. Great multimedia device (120Hz enabled)
  • Sound is very nice, maybe not as loud as the top dogs but it definitely sound clear and rich (Dolby Atmos enabled)
  • Battery is quite good
  • Sturdy feeling in the hand
  • Great set of cameras
  • 21:9 Aspect ratio, not to everyone's liking but the benefits are definitely more than the drawbacks
  • Side fingerprint scanner
  • 3.5mm jack. You don't need to get a midrange device to keep using this feature
  • microSD card slot. One of the few remaining device offering this. Great for multimedia hoarding

Cons

• Miracast is no longer working and apparently this is Google's doing. They want to force Chromecasting over Miracast so they remove the feature in Android 11 for Pixels and while my Sony Xperia has the option to "Screen Share" content, when I try to do it on my compatible devices, it always fail. Like I said, probably a limitation from Google and Android 11.
  • Some bugs: I have experience unwanted Game Enhancer persistent activity when I am no longer inside a game and this can wrongly keep active "Do not disturb", "Heat Suppression (preventing battery charge)" and other unwanted behavior outside of registered apps.
  • Display brightness is JUST ENOUGH. Not really a negative, but compared to the competition, it could be better.

buccob alternatives: