x PhoneArena is hiring! Reviewer in the USA

Camera9.5/10
Multimedia9.3/10
Internet9.5/10

highwaysnobbery
posted on 07 Nov 2017, 20:13 (Posts: 25; Member since: 19 Feb 2013)

Very good phone and I'm not a Samsung fan.

highwaysnobbery has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

That screen, though. The battery lasts me from wake up to bed, but wouldn't if I went to the close the bar. Have I mentioned the screen? It's great. My only point of contention is all the dang software. Why do I need this? The camera hasn't failed me yet.

Pros

• The design is gorgeous
  • Camera doesn't disappoint

Cons

• UX is still just Samsung
  • Bixby is no Google Assistant

highwaysnobbery alternatives:

nivek4011
posted on 05 Oct 2017, 10:29 (Posts: 38; Member since: 31 Jul 2014)

EXCELLENT!!!

nivek4011 has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I have had pretty much every Samsung Galaxy phone since the S3....this by far is the best one yet. The Note series is great, but just too big for my hand and pocket. The S8 is smaller than the S7 Edge, but the screen is larger! Love it! The iris scanner is instant fast and overall this is such an upgrade from the S7. Well Done! Not to mention, it has facial recognition BEFORE the iPhone 8, as well as Bixby which works like Google Lens BEFORE the Pixel 2. BOOM!

Pros

• ALL

osterrich21
posted on 30 Aug 2017, 16:39 (Posts: 35; Member since: 14 Apr 2017)

Almost perfect

osterrich21 has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

Great phone. Amoled is perfect screen ever made.But...back in glass is the most is the most negative point for me.The phone feel fragile. Any drop and...I lost my money. The speakers no stereo yet...I hope the S9

• Format
  • Quality of call
  • Hardware fast

• Back in glass
  • No stereo speakers

dragon76
posted on 30 Aug 2017, 13:22 (Posts: 29; Member since: 24 Jun 2012)

Samsung Does it again..... but

dragon76 has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

beautiful phone, powerhouse with some lags and stutters but overall amazing.... but I am still no fan of Samsungs UX and before you mention the themes I just couldnt find a combination I liked and the fingerprint sensor location just wasnt working for me

UI speed 8/10 laggy, buggy what ever you call it I had a few hickups with the ux
Display 10/10 love the AMOLED
Battery 9/10 it was up and down for a few days, I either had just enough battery till I got home or it lasted me all day plus

Pros

• display
  • overall size

Cons

• UX (not a fan of any themes either)
  • fanboys
  • fingerprint sensor location ??? wtf

Reus280
posted on 22 Jul 2017, 20:51 (Posts: 11; Member since: 22 Jul 2017)

Excellent phone

Reus280 has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

The best phone I've used thus far. Absolutely love the design and feel in hand along with the fantastic software experience. Very elegant. Head and shoulders above the competition but quite pricey. Would highly recommend.

• Audio
  • UI design
  • Features

Cons

• Speakers
  • Bixby button
  • Price

Panzer
posted on 14 Jun 2017, 07:53 (Posts: 127; Member since: 13 May 2016)

Best phone I have ever owned

Panzer has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

After having had the device for a month I still find the fingerprint sensor location annoying. Iris scanner works well most of the time even with glasses. Nice upgrade from S7 Edge which I thought was the best phone I have ever owned.

• Side Sync
  • Samsung Pay

Cons

• Fingerprint sensor location

csacseg
posted on 29 May 2017, 02:33 (Posts: 23; Member since: 21 May 2014)

Best Sam.

csacseg has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

It's a beautifull phone with a excelent performance.Fingerprint sensor locations it s not a werry good choice to unlock

Pros

• Exc. camera
  • Beauty design

Cons

• Fingerprint sensor locations

boinero
posted on 03 May 2017, 20:09 (Posts: 50; Member since: 18 Apr 2015)

Best Phone on planet earth

boinero has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

No phone on earth comes close, best, best, best,... Apple should keep on inventing red phones why Samsung keeps giving us the future.___________________________________________​‚Äč__________________________________

Pros

• World best phone
  • classy
  • elegant
  • pretty
  • futuristic
  • good resale value in a year time
  • Iphone killer
  • to be compared with iPhone 10 and 10 Plus

Cons

• I can sacrifice wireless charging for big battery and steel design
  • No Ir Blaster(I loved it on S6)
  • no FM (I can deal without)

james0923
posted on 28 Apr 2017, 01:18 (Posts: 8; Member since: 19 Sep 2012)

Jp

james0923 has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

Love the phone. the phone is sleek and smooth and beautiful I highly recommend the phone you will not regret getting this phone. +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&​&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&​&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&​&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Pros

• Perfect love it

kevv2288
posted on 23 Apr 2017, 13:35 (Posts: 172; Member since: 30 Jul 2015)

Best Galaxy yet

kevv2288 has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

Excellent phone, battery life could be better but it's not bad for only having a 3000mah battery. Doesn't seem to lag as much as the s7 but usually Samsung phones slow down over time. Fingerprint sensor isn't as bad as all "experts" are claiming it to be. Unlike older galaxy phones you don't have to wake the screen to use the fingerprint scanner, so you can touch it before turning your phone around to unlock.

Andreasdeleuran
posted on 13 Oct 2017, 14:54 (Posts: 0; Member since: 13 Oct 2017)

Good but ship..

Andreasdeleuran has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

Good phone with a great camera but s**t in the end because it can't handle any tasks (such as snapchat...)
Also It breaks as soon as you look at it.. (it broke in my f**king pocket..)
Horrible battery life..

Pros

Cons

• Easy to break
  • Very slow operating system
  • Slow updates
  • Horrible battery (3 hours screen on time)

imortel
posted on 06 Oct 2017, 07:48 (Posts: 5; Member since: 07 Jul 2017)

Great Phone!

imortel has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

The phone that i have it is a sliver model. And i will start from top to the bottom according the charts.
First the build quality it is a 10 but i gave it a 9, dont get me wrong the build should be 10 but i gave it 8 because of the back glass plate, on the top right and the bottom left corners the light doesnt bend like the other edges bit it is sharp, and this is only visible on the silver model and coral blue, but not on the black. If i had the black one i would give it a 10!
I have no problems with the reception, in fact it has better reception than my previous S7 edge!
The call quality it's top notch! No problems whatsoever. But i will have to say it all depends on the operator you are using. Sames goes for the internet i cant complain here, because i cant find any flaws.
Watching videos, browsing the net, taking pictures it is on a whole new level here, the phone is made to be used, it begs me to hold it up and watch that screen, stare at it, watching 4k videos on Youtube in full screen mode is absolutely fantastic! Now i can browse Instagram and read twitter at the same time, and i have more screen to do it! The UI is considerable faster than the previous model and i think i like it but it's not that fast, tho with developers mode on i can tweak the animation and now its blazing fast. Still i cant award a 10 here due to that fact.
I use it every day starting with ~90% battery and finishing the day with ~15%. Overall coming from a S7 edge the battery is slightly under it...

Pros

• Compact
  • Simple
  • Touch Sensitive Home Screen
  • Elegant
  • Futuristic phone

Cons

• Fingerprint magnet
  • Red screen but is fixable with small tweak

forever_student
posted on 30 Aug 2017, 17:29 (Posts: 3; Member since: 05 Apr 2016)

Eh. Disappointing.

forever_student has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

The screen is beautiful and it's pretty fast. The camera is awesome too. But samsung crippled the Google Assistant in an effort to force users to use Bixby. And Bixby is ... well ... Bixby is no Google Assistant.
The fingerprint reader, while fast, is pretty bad. It takes about 10 tries and you have to push your finer down really hard to try to cover the entire over-sized fingerprint scanner. I have fat fingers, and it's still a battle to get my finger to completely cover the sensor. I don't know who originally came up with the terrible idea of putting the sensor on the back of the phone, but they should be slapped.
Also, I'd like it to be a tad smaller. I'd gladly shrink the screen by 0.1 - 0.4 inches to have a phone that's more friendly to one-handed use.

The headphones that come with the phone are not part of the phone, but they come with it, so I'll comment on those too: They're terrible. Weak midrange and absolutely no bass. But again, they're pretty.

Pros

Cons

• Crippled Google Assistant
  • Finger print sensor

KC2FYA
posted on 28 Oct 2017, 09:18 (Posts: 3; Member since: 19 Dec 2013)

Great for SKYWARN Spotter &Ham Radio Operator.

KC2FYA has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

I upgraded from the Galaxy S7 and I am quite pleased with this device. The Audio quality is excellent and I like the Extra Volume feature for outdoor use. The speakerphone is not as loud as the S7. The fingerprint scanner operates better than it did on the S7, but being in the back right next to the camera is awkward but I am used to it now.

The display is great. Having a larger aspect ratio makes most of my apps, especially my weather apps look real good. Screen is very responsive even with a screen protector. The Edge display enhances the experience too.

The ROM of 64 GB is great coming from a 32 GB device. I have 48 GB of free space available with my photos and apps. I elected to add my 32 GB Micro SD card (Class 10) for more storage. One must be certain to install the Micro SD Card properly into the SD/SIM Card tray. It should "snap" in very lightly. The 4 GB of RAM handles everything well, I was a bit surprised that it does not come with more RAM, like 6 GB or more.

My music files sound good with the supplied head phones but they lack Bass compared to my S7. The music player handles very well. I feel there was improvement on it since the S7. Videos are sharp with the video player.

The thing that impresses me the most is the improved battery life compared to the S7 with the same 3000 Mah Battery. I have time when I am only losing 0.25% or less per hour on standby. Mind you that this occurs with out any of the enhanced battery saving options like switching the display...

Build quality 9/10 Very Solid Phone. Just take caution in installing the Micro SD Card. It should snap lightly into place.
Reception 9/10 Excellent reception and signal (on Sprint/Boost).
Call quality 10/10 Audio is loud and clear in earpiece. "Extra" Volume is useful outdoors. Speakerphone is a bit lower in volume than the S7.
Internet 9/10 Handles my sites well using the Chrome browser.
Multimedia 9/10 Music and Video plays very well. The supplied AKG Earphones are lacking Bass.
Camera 9/10 Excellent Camera, very crisp with the "Dual Pixel" technology.
UI speed 9/10 UI is quick and laid out logically.
Everyday usage 9/10 A True Flagship Device. I wish there was an IR Blaster. I use for my weather spotting & Ham Radio.
Text input 10/10 Intuitive keyboard, very easy to type out messages.
Display 9/10 Awesome WQHD+ Display. Quite Vibrant and responsive. The bigger screen ratio is nice on certain Apps, especially radar. Be cautious on a screen protector (curved).
Battery 10/10 Battery life is way better on talk and standby time than my S7. I am very impressed with all of the saver methods turned off.

Pros

• BATTERY LIFE!!
  • Good Audio in Earpiece and Speaker
  • WQHD+ Display crisp looking.
  • Good feel in the hand.
  • 2X Carrier Aggregation.

Cons

• Not Stereo
  • No IR Blaster
  • AKG Earbuds lack Bass.
  • Fingerprint sensor takes some getting used to.

KC2FYA alternatives:

Duplex49
posted on 22 Jun 2017, 08:29 (Posts: 0; Member since: 22 Jun 2017)

Best phone I have used

Duplex49 has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

I have had the S8 for just over 2 months and have never had any problems, this is my first Samsung phone and I have really enjoyed the experience. Very smooth experience using it, there are very small problems but these do not take away from the overall experience of this device, overall money well spent and I would recommend this phone to anyone, phone will work with people with both big or small hands and the UI is very easy to understand and use.

Pros

• Very good battery
  • Amazing screen
  • Fast and good looking UI
  • Camera is one of the best
  • All media consumption is just better
  • Overall an amazing phone

Cons

• Fingerprint location (you do get use to it)
  • Call/speaker quality could be better
  • Using "Swipe to type" could be better

andreluizg
posted on 16 Jun 2017, 19:05 (Posts: 3; Member since: 15 Dec 2013)

Good, but far from Wow

andreluizg has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

For more than 7 years I'm a galaxy user (started with I7500), excepting last year, when I bought an Iphone 6 plus.
Well the S8 is beautiful, slim, powerful. The speakers improved a lot from the previous S5 that I use to have. The camera is great, but specially in selfies and portraits the software try to make your skin soft, and then the pictures seem very artificial. Artificial, by the way, is the worst of the camera, good eyes can see easily the heavy manipulation on the images.
The screen is gorgeous, no complain about, but didn't like the dimensions (with one hand u can't use easily).
The battery life is disappointing, in the end of the day is 20% with 4 hours on screen...
The iris scanner is great, a big inovation, very fast and responsive, I became very impressed with the tech.
The fingerprint reader is very badly positioned a complete mistake, I have big hands and still need to stretch for reach it.

• Camera post processing
  • Fingerprint reader location

Anis256
posted on 09 Jun 2017, 10:38 (Posts: 0; Member since: 09 Jun 2015)

Beast on Planet

Anis256 has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

Using this mobile for 3 days and I love it every manner. I used all S series mobile but this is one is best of them. The only problem is the location of finger print sensor otherwise no other mobile come close to it

Pros

• Perfect in every aspect

fuccbois
posted on 10 May 2017, 02:43 (Posts: 0; Member since: 10 May 2017)

The best Samsung phone so far.

fuccbois has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

Nice phone, had this beauty two days ago. Build quality is very good. But the battery, I think, is just too small for a 5.8" 2K display, and the horrible fingerprint location is deal breaker for this beautiful phone. The screen is very beautiful though, and it has a good camera.

Build quality 9/10 Beautiful furistic design.
Internet 9/10 Fast internet speed.
Camera 7/10 Poor video stabilisation. But the overall quality is good though.
Text input 8/10 The display is very nice
Battery 7/10 The battery is OK.

Pros

• Smooth performance.
  • Beautiful design.
  • Good camera quality.
  • Lag-free gaming.
  • Fast web-browsing.
  • Water resistant.

Cons

• It overheats after a few minutes of gaming.
  • The fingerprint location is horrible.
  • I can't remap the Bixby button.
  • Poor OIS.
  • Crappy mono speaker.

fuccbois alternatives:

Wilder77
posted on 08 May 2017, 09:40 (Posts: 0; Member since: 08 May 2017)

Simply Superbbbb.....

Wilder77 has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

S8 is just a fabulous piece of art... Just beautifullllll, looks great in hand...awesome camera and phone is simply a beast in performance and good battery life.. Lag free UI and future proof...Simply superbbbbb display.....

Pros

• Awesome camera
  • Lag free UI
  • Awesome Display
  • Excellent hardware
  • Perfecttttt

New and Refurbished