Samsung Galaxy Alpha User Reviews

Coconut00 posted on Dec 15, 2015, 5:46 PM
Posts: 485; Member since: Jan 13, 2015

An excellent compact phone

Coconut00 has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

I have had the Galaxy Alpha for more than two months and it is great! Though it was too pricey when it was released, now the pricing is in line with the Xperia Z3 Compact which means it is a good phone for the price.
My Alpha has been updated to lollipop, but, while I like the new looks of Lollipop, I feel the phone is slightly less snappy than on KitKat. The update has some bugs. Also, I feel a bit disappointed that Samsung doesn't give their phones newer TouchWiz versions. The phone crashes more often with Lollipop (phone has rebooted itself twice with Lollipop vs 0 in KitKat). I really don't care about no SD card since 32 GB is more than enough (at least for my needs). The battery is average at best.
The rest of the phone, though, is excellent. What I like the most about it is the fact that it is compact, yet powerful. It is the best compact option along the Xperia Z3 Compact. I strongly recommend!

It is beautiful, slim and I love the metal frame and plastic back is very good, too (better than the S5).
The speaker is loud and clear. The screen is awesome for watching movies and videos.
Takes awesome pictures. Not the best shooter at night
Was a 10 with KitKat, slightly slower in Lollipop.
The Lollipop update has some bugs. Hope it is fixed with 5.1.1 or 6.0.1 (currently on 5.0.2).
Was perfect (10) in KitKat, but now there is some slight lag with Lollipop
I love the Super Amoled display. I like Amoled much more than any LCD. Sadly it is only HD so there is some slight pixelation
Battery is average. Most times it lasts a day. Ultra Power Saving Mode is awesome.

Pros

• Awesome build quality
  • Excellent Amoled display
  • Good Camera
  • Fast
  • Loud and clear speakers

Cons

• Battery is average at best
  • Some issues related to the Lollipop update

Coconut00 alternatives:

Cvagoc95 posted on Jul 16, 2015, 1:55 PM
Posts: 19; Member since: Nov 28, 2014

Galaxy Alpha Review

Cvagoc95 has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

It's a very good phone. Great, actually! I've used a lot of
Samsung devices. From the low-end series to the top-notch ones! (Including S and Note series) This phone is a combination of high specs and stunning device. It lacks the amount of mAhs of the S5's but if you take good care of the battery, it will last!

Pros

• Great Screen
  • Great 12 MP camera
  • Perfect Size
  • Great Multimedia

Cons

• Small Battery
  • Lack of expandable storage
  • Price is too high for not a flagship device

idcidk posted on Apr 20, 2015, 5:00 PM
Posts: 6; Member since: Apr 16, 2015

Perfect phone size

idcidk has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

For starters, I'm an ex wm, android, ios, wp user with some symbian along the way so i've seen them all and used them all. if i had to use one without lag it would be the WM with sense but that will never happen. But after that, my favourite is still Touch Wiz. The utility of it is overwhelming. Compared to my S5, which i now only use for games and testing mods, the Alpha is better at pretty much everything (except online gaming life- that combo seems to make it die quite fast). This is the only phone in my collection i really love having my hands on. There is nothing big that my Alpha disappointed me with so far and I'd really like to change, and i wish there weren't any little things also. I personally do not mind not having a microSD slot in it since 32 gigs is enough for some games and music and i have a Note 2014 with a 64 GB card in it for movies.

P.S. I have the Exynos version

awesome body with an always cool aluminium frame, i dislike the camera hump though
i've had times when i had reception underground even though no iphone user had any, i've had 4g+ pretty much all over the town but i sometimes have problems with the signal when i'm home-never happened with the S5
no problem at all
4g+ everywhere rocks
no problems here
low light performance-pretty low
never lags unlike my S5
it gets me everything i need when i need it
samsung auto correct is sometimes drunk
perfect colours for me, awesome sunlight legibility is awesome
a little underperforming with data on when playing online games but no problems elsewhere

Pros

• never heats up
  • awesome camera when there's light around
  • great battery life for overall usage
  • awesome colours
  • awesome data signal
  • great sound output
  • lag-less (surprising i know) UX
  • awesome gaming performance (i play with the highest settings possible and I have no fps drops

Cons

• camera hump
  • low light camera is sometimes useless
  • no lollipop update yet (21/4/2015)

idcidk alternatives:

ipred posted on Mar 14, 2015, 8:20 AM
Posts: 9; Member since: Mar 02, 2014

Just excellent

ipred has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

Beautiful design, very powerfull cpu with 51000 benchmark, nice super amoled screen and nice camera with very good photo quality in daylight. The only disadvantages of Alpha are the small capacity of the battery ( good handling though ) and the photo quality in low light conditions ( most of the smartphones fail in this factor).

ZayZay posted on Nov 23, 2014, 12:30 AM
Posts: 571; Member since: Feb 26, 2011

Not bad

ZayZay has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

This phone is better then expected. Talked to some friends who weren't that impressed, but am happy with my decision with this purchase. It's a quality build and a perfect size. Internet has been lighting fast at all times even on HSPA+. The phone uses its cores in the processor perfectly. Splitting cores is the right way to go, there is no lag with this device, it makes the S5 (previous device) seem slow. For being a lower "pixel" from the S5, I don't see the difference. The screen resolution is still great. Sporting a lower ppi then most, you could probably only tell a difference with a microscope. The only had 1 concern on purchase day, and it was the fixed storage and this is the first fixed storage phone I've ever had. Not being a memory hog myself, the 32gbs fits my storage needs. The one downside is the battery life on this device. I use my phone a lot at work and I would say about 7 hours is what I get out of it. Luckily I work near a charger all day.

Overall, I truly like this phone. If you are looking for a nice, smaller but not cheap performing device that actually does take great photos, this is a phone you should have. It will out perform it's competition when you use other phones side by side. Yes it's a lack of memory card but it is a file storage device as well so it's easy to manage. It's worth the purchase. Thank you.

Pros

• Processing power
  • Screen Resolution
  • Sleek Chassis

Cons

• Fixed Storage

Sallonikios posted on Mar 29, 2017, 8:40 AM
Posts: 1; Member since: Mar 29, 2017

A Great Deal

Sallonikios has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

One of the best phones I have ever had. Back at the time I bought it, it was a great value for money deal! It still serves my relatives (changed battery after 2 years). Only cons was the small capacity battery that sometimes internet got stuck and needed to restart the device.

Pros

• Value for Money (at that time)

Yasir192 posted on Dec 10, 2015, 2:44 AM
Posts: 0; Member since: Dec 10, 2015

Excellent Phone

Yasir192 has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

Excellent phone with all brilliant qualities im using a AT&T version of samsung galaxy Alpha and its the best phone of my life i have used s5 also and i think alpha is better the ns5 its small in size also

Abhishekjambo posted on Jun 25, 2015, 7:49 AM
Posts: 0; Member since: Jun 25, 2015

nice phone

Abhishekjambo has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

phone was good look wise but battery backup was very bad.camera quality was good in day but in low light condition it was not up to mark.no update to lollipop update.when samsung will update his phone

Pros

• good build quality premium look

Cons

• battery backup is bad.till now no available of lollipop update

djo165 posted on Mar 28, 2015, 2:30 AM
Posts: 4; Member since: Mar 16, 2015

Good size, snappy performance

djo165 has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

I have the AT&T version of the Alpha in the US, and this is my first Android phone, having come from an iPhone 4S. I wanted something compact as I think most of the flagship Android phones are too large, yet I wanted good performance. I think the Alpha fits the bill perfectly. My biggest complaint is with some of the Samsung apps and the less than perfect display. Battery life could be better, but that's the price for being thin. You want better battery life on an Alpha? Buy the optional thicker battery and cover.

Speaker could be better. It's a little tinny.
Low light shots aren't good.
Viewing angle affects colors a bit.

Pros

• Perfect size
  • Quick performance

Cons

• Display could be better
  • Audio speaker could be less tinny

JaneDoe2007 posted on Jan 15, 2015, 3:09 AM
Posts: 5; Member since: Sep 26, 2014

I'm in love with this phone!

JaneDoe2007 has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

I have the Exynos version of the Alpha in Frosted Gold and I'm absolutely in love with it. It looks gorgeous, sleek and truly majestic. It feels great in the hand. The screen is sharp with beautiful color rendering. The camera is amazing. The performance is everything I need and more. It's a proper flagship with a smaller screen, which is perfect for me because my hands are so small. I'm really glad I went for it instead of the S5.
Battery life can be an issue, but it hasn't been an issue for me so far because I have regular work hours and I don't travel, so I can afford to charge it daily. Fixed storage could have been another issue, but again I found it adequate enough for my needs. I've downloaded tons of apps and games, including Need for Speed and Asphalt 8 (both of which run incredibly smooth and look awesome by the way) and I take lots of pictures and videos and I still have 15 GBs to spare.
There are 2 auxiliary attributes in this phone that I found truly helpful and I know they're available in other Samsung phones. Those are Private Mode and the S Health app coupled with the heart rate sensor. Such useful additions!
All in all I'm really happy with my choice, and I highly recommend it for people with similar needs and affinity for smaller screens.

Pros

• Looks gorgeous, feels great
  • Reasonable size
  • Camera is amazing
  • Sharp screen
  • Smooth performance
  • Great reception and call quality

Cons

• Small battery

kiran07 posted on Dec 03, 2014, 1:08 AM
Posts: 0; Member since: May 23, 2014

A smart & Sleek product

kiran07 has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I love new Samsung Galaxy Alpha. Samsung Galaxy Alpha is an amazing smart phone introduced by Samsung that is equipped with smart and seamless features. The look of the phone alone is capable of attracting buyers who need latest technology as soon as it is launched. You can check more details at Samsung India site. http://www.samsung.com/in/galaxyalpha/

liory posted on Nov 22, 2014, 2:25 PM
Posts: 0; Member since: Nov 22, 2014

depands on what you need

liory has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

it's a matter of usage, i'm not a gamer and the resolution is not important to me.
i needed a monster of benchmarks,dimensions to be able to hold it with one hand that i can tap everywhere on the screen with my thumb (like iphone 5) and android.
of course - waterproof is something i need for any case, but all the rest i can give up. as compared to galaxy s5, it's too big for me and the benchmarks are better on the alpha (as seen in "antutu").
make your decision, i give 10!

Pros

• dimensions
  • benchmarks

Cons

• sd (use dropbox instead)
  • no waterproof

NăstaseFilip posted on Oct 21, 2014, 3:54 PM
Posts: 0; Member since: Aug 08, 2014

A better iPhone made by Samsung

NăstaseFilip has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

Samsung Galaxy Alpha is one of the most beautiful phones in the world. It has a premium design with metal frame and it's very thin. It looks like an iPhone but better. The performances are very good. The 8 core processor made of Samsung is one of the best in the world. 2GB of RAM are enough to run smoothly, without lag and crashes. It has 32GB of internal memory( for me are enough ), but you can't put an microSD card. Although the Super Amoled display is only HD is very good. The camera is very good, photos are awesome. I like very much the operating system. Internet speed, veryyyyyy fast, it took me 2 minutes to install an 1,6GB game. Battery is a bit little, but you can activate Ultra Power Saving Mode. Everyday usage = 10+

Pros

• Almost everything

Cons

• No microSD