Nokia XL User Reviews

Posts: 12; Member since: Jul 31, 2012

Really Good!

carilotoz has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

it is an awesome phone!
before i bought it i thought the display is not good at all but i was surprised that it is awesome
the battery is fantastic!!!! it lasts long long time
the camera is really good and the front facing camera is excellent
the design of the phone is really really good it is one of the best looking plastic phones
i was afraid of the processor before i bought it but the phone it is good (lagged one or two times only)
the price of the phone is fantastic (it is far cheaper than the moto g in my country)
the UI is really beautiful
The NOKIA XL is really a fantastic phone even the processor is cortex-a5 but it doesnt lag almost at all

Pros

• awesome battery!
  • very good camera
  • awesome front facing camera
  • fantastic design!

Cons

• processor

shikamaru99 posted on Mar 21, 2016, 12:48 PM
Posts: 1; Member since: Mar 21, 2016

Not bad, but not good

shikamaru99 has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

I have been a Nokia fan since my childhood and when I heard about a series of smartphones made by them which support Android apps immediately persuaded me to buy one of them, in this case the XL. I've been using it for almost a year and a half and I can say that the phone is average. The word LAG comes to mind as I've been using. It simply LAGS every time, even when I use the keyboard. Also the camera is awful, not to mention the display with only 480x800 res which is unacceptable. I am also disappointed by the fact that some important Android apps crash or don't even install, such as YouTube. The good things are amazing call quality, good battery, good loudspeakers and rather beautiful design, I don't know but somehow its' bulkiness is appealing to me. However, the good impression was ruined by this annoying problem - non-stop LAG. Microsoft, please fix this.

I like the phone's simplistic design, but the material used is kinda cheap. The plastic becomes dusty very easily and the corners are kinda sharp.
The phone offers amazingly clear voices in both sides. There isn't a single disruption during phone calls, at least according to my experience.
The browser is simplistic and loads pages fairly fast. One of the good things about XL.
Nokia's music player in XL is nothing special. It's simple, the basic details are present and there are no problems. The video player is the same, however I noticed a minuscule lag once.
Camera is one of the weakest features of XL. The quality of pictures is awful and they have a blueish tint. The camera interface is not user-friendly at all, it is a mess.
Well, undoubtedly the biggest disappointment is the UI. Except for being a design mess - a bad mixture between Windows and Android, it's extremely laggy. The Fastlane feature is impressive though.
The phone does well in everyday tasks. Contacts menu, Alarms, Calendar, Messenger and other everyday features work perfectly fine.
Keyboard's design is pretty good, but the lag issue is ruining the experience.
Seriously, Nokia? A 5'' display with only 480x800 res? This is simply outrageous. Sometimes the colors are distorted, but the brightness is perfect.
I use this phone extremely frequently and I have to charge it twice a day, but once I left it for a day without using it and the XL did amazingly. I had to charge it on the second day. Very good endurance.

Pros

• Good design
  • Reception
  • Amazing call quality
  • Pretty good battery life
  • There is no better phone at this price

Cons

• LAGGY
  • Awful UI
  • Bad display and camera
  • Weak processor and RAM
  • Not good for gaming

shikamaru99 alternatives:

Shiv1818 posted on Aug 18, 2014, 2:31 AM
Posts: 0; Member since: Aug 18, 2014

Nyc Phone

Shiv1818 has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

Good features with the combination of both windows and android.UI can be improved otherwise good phone in its segment.There is a problem with some android app otherwise Phone is good.If you are a heavy user don't go for this else perpect for normal users.

Shiv1818 alternatives:

anastanvir posted on Aug 01, 2014, 8:55 AM
Posts: 0; Member since: Apr 28, 2014

Good phone if you're looking for just the basic features in an Android phone

anastanvir has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I have had this phone for less than a month, and I bought it because of its low price, long lasting battery and solid reception. Nokia has modified Android interface to look like Windows, and has blocked Google Apps. 'About phone' does not show Android 4.1.2, but Nokia X software platform 1.1. I miss using Google Play Store, Now, Maps, Contacts and Calendar Sync. The Nokia Store contains various Android apps, but it misses some very important ones, such as WhatsApp. I use Disa, which allows you to use WhatsApp through it. Some apps downloaded from third party stores are not compatible with this device. Moreover, there is no app to sync with PC or MAC, like HTC Sync or Samsung Kies. The dialer is very disappointing. It does not support quick dial, i.e. if I wanna search for 'Ann', pressing 266 won't get me her number. I have to go the phonebook and manually look for the contact. The phonebook isn't smart enough to merge the contacts itself, like HTC Linkify, and of course it does not support Google Contacts Sync, unless you root your phone, flash Google Apps and fix permissions. Similarly, calendar app is nice but does not support Google Calendar Sync. I hate the fact that the notifications do not appear in the notification bar, but the Fastlane. This is why I cannot use a third party launcher, such as Apex or Nova. The Fastlane is not smart enough to remove the notifications once I've opened them. No, I have to manually long-press the notifications to remove them. The Fastlane...

The screen is not scratch resistant, but that's okay because this phone is supposed to be a budget phone. However, the back cover is too difficult to open and it catches scratches very quickly. Though it is a tough phone and you cannot break it even if you drop it from a couple of metres' height. Also, the device is too heavy.
It fetches network in places where HTC and Motorola phones fail, such as the ground floor of my home.
Call quality is too good. But it's sad to know that the phone does not support turnover to mute or loudspeaker, ring louder when in pocket, and ring softer when the device is in hand.
The default browser is okay, but I use UC Browser HD. I've tweaked its DPI through an Xposed module.
Music player's interface is appealing and has all the basic features. Playback through the speakers is good, but the headphones that come in the box are disappointing.
The pictures do not have contrast and are not sharp. Pictures taken in low light turn out to have a green tint.
The processor is impressive for 1 GHz, but I'd still expect apps to open more quickly. Nokia is known to install laggy processors.
The interface is pretty much like of Windows, i.e. the tiles in the homescreen, the icons and the fonts. Messaging app is pretty neat and I like how the text messages appear in 'semi speech rectangles'. Similarly, alarm app and call history are nice.
The default keyboard isn't bad, but I use SwiftKey and it works like a charm.
The screen size is nice, i.e. 5", but it is really stupid of Nokia to give only 187 ppi. This makes everything huge and ugly. I increased the DPI by tweaking build.prop, but Phone.apk kept force closing. So now I use a module of Xposed to control DPI of individual apps. The contrast and viewing angles of the screen are okay. Visibility in sunlight is fair and touchscreen responsiveness is good, being capacitive.
The battery is superb. This is primarily one of the reasons why I bought this phone. It gives me a day if I keep WiFi on. Without WiFi it gives me 2 and a half days.

anastanvir alternatives: