Motorola Moto X Pure Edition (2015) User Reviews

8.9

snowgator posted on Jul 30, 2016, 5:43 PM
Posts: 3621; Member since: Jan 19, 2011

Very happy with this great device!!

snowgator has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

As a background: I have been a Windows Phone user for years, so this purchase was one I took my time with. Deciding to move to Android was a tough call, and I wanted to get it right. I spent maybe 4 months reading and finding devices, and I wasn't enthused about going 600.00 bucks or better in debt for a phone. Once I settled on what I wanted- a pure Android experience, a well reviewed device, and good audio- the X Pure stood out. I am overall very happy, and growing very comfortable with it. It has a great feel to it if you get the rubber backing. It makes for a comfortable hold and a great premium feel. The screen is fantastic, and the flash is a great flashlight that lights up my whole backyard. The motion related commands (shaking the phone opens the camera, chopping downwards sideways with it opens the flashlight) are amazingly handy even if they are not perfect and take a few extra tries to work. Ditto the voice recognition- Motorola has put in it's own software to make voice commands unique to the Moto series, and I find it to be really hit or miss.

But what a strong device. It runs flawless, a benefit of stock Android that I just don't see in devices with UI on top of it. Unlocked, all that carrier crap is kicked to the curb with just the usual Google apps and some Motorola options. It's audio is fan-freaking-tastic, and I am pleased with the Microsoft apps, even if I haven't quite figured out the Android operation yet. I spent a little extra, shopped around...

Great feel, durable, easy to hold, excellent build.
Holds tight better then any device I have had in a while.
I use the phone more then most, and I miss the clear quality of some other devices. But this is good stuff and about as good as it gets anymore.
never a hiccup.
I stream music and podcast, simple gaming, and some video here and there. All are amazing.
I am not a shutter-bug. It has a quick shutter speed and I do not miss shots. Beyond that, you may want to read more professional reviews to be sure this will work for you. I have almost never shot video.
Fantastic, because there is none. I will only own pure Android devices.
Other then that battery quirk, I love this thing.
I miss the Windows Phone keyboard. But this is fine.
I know there is better out there so I won't give it a 10, but it is great and you will love it.
Thing gets HOT during heavy use and even shut off my phone once. Very alarming. But life is good during use and the quick charger Moto provides is amazingly quick.

Pros

• Excellent build
  • Excellent audio
  • Pure Android, no bloat.
  • Security updates and support has been great.
  • Great to use everyday.
  • Handy built in tools and motions.

Cons

• Voice commands truly hit or miss.
  • limited options concerning good cases and screen protectors.
  • Battery runs hot and is slow to charge on any normal charger other then the one that comes with it.

dragon76 posted on Jan 09, 2016, 7:47 PM
Posts: 32; Member since: Jun 24, 2012

I skipped the 2nd gen and got this

dragon76 has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I am coming from the HTC One M9 (I believe that I took some pretty decent pictures) I am pretty impressed with the Moto X Pure it's a great all around phone that has good battery life, decent camera even though I think that the stock camera app could use some options performance isn't an issue.

Pros

• SD Card slot

Cons

No Cons

wonkman posted on Dec 27, 2015, 7:00 PM
Posts: 7; Member since: Dec 22, 2015

I picked Moto X over Google 6P

wonkman has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

Couldn't decide between this and the Google 6P. The AMOLED on the 6P is colorful but I don't like the whites that much. Like the Moto build design much better that the 6P with that visor and plastic door on the bottom. Moto is grippyer with the rubberized back. 6P is also longer and speaker are good but Moto is better.

In the end, the 6P had only two things I wanted that the Moto didn't: an AMOLED screen and a notification light. I like everything else better on the Moto and the screen is an extremely nice second to the 6P and I think the white background on the Moto looks better but blacks are not as dark. Moto has SD too which is nice if I need it. Its also cheaper. Personally I couldn't care less about the fingerprint scanner at this point.

Solid feel in hand. Rubbery back is good for the grip.
It's Moto. They know radios.
Reviews have said warmer sound than 6P
Moto knows radios.
Natural colors, bright screen, some of the best speakers available on a phone. Second to maybe HTC.
Takes very nice pictures but low light causes lower quality. Moto phone app is only OK. Camera is excellent except for the very darkest shots. Maybe 8.5
Plenty snappy but I'm not a phone gamer so can't comment on that.
Display is actually very nice but the AMOLED of past Motos were extremely nice. 9.5 would be my real rating.
Not a gamer so my battery usage is not as high as others. Full day easily for me. Super fast recharge with fast chargers.

Pros

• Stock Android with a very few useful Moto additions
  • Very sharp screen with white whites. Bright
  • Call quality, All US radio bands
  • SD
  • Excellent stereo speakers. Loud.
  • Rubbery back
  • Motomaker
  • Good bang for the buck.
  • Fast Charge

Cons

• No notification light
  • Camera has some limitations in dark settings
  • Blacks not as dark as AMOLED

xsquid posted on Nov 19, 2015, 2:20 PM
Posts: 7; Member since: May 30, 2014

Excellent phone

xsquid has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

Excellent phone, expecially for the price. Battery is the only con but turbo charge makes up for it. Great size, screen, build, lollipop is smooth and quick. I would not hesitate to get this phone again. Claims of this phone being pricy or the screen too sensitive are troll posts as this is excellent for the price and nothing unusuable about the screen sensitivity.

Pros

• Call quality
  • Great speakers
  • Display, easy to see in the sun
  • Lollipop is quick and smooth
  • Great reception compared to the iphones we had before

Cons

• Battery, but actually turbo charge makes up for it

bkdroid posted on Oct 21, 2015, 10:57 AM
Posts: 9; Member since: Sep 17, 2015

Great phone with few weak spots

bkdroid has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

This phone does everything you'd want it to, without the added layer of manufacturer and carrier bloat you get with most other phones. The inclusion of expandable storage puts it above many other phones on my list. The Battery life is acceptable, though not great. It would also be nice if a fingerprint sensor was included given the current trend towards mobile payments.

Better reception in very remote locations than any other phone in the same spot.

Pros

• Pure Android
  • Call Reception
  • Bright! Screen
  • Carrier-free
  • Dual Front Speakers
  • MicroSD

Cons

• Mediocre Battery Life
  • No Fingerprint Reader

baldilocks posted on Oct 10, 2015, 7:24 AM
Posts: 1498; Member since: Dec 14, 2008

Great phone!

baldilocks has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

How can you not love this phone? At this price point, it's impossible to beat. From the build quality, the front facing stereo speakers, the customization options and nearly stock Android.

Anyone (above) who gives this phone a negative review has neither had the phone or is a troll.

How can you not love the sound of the speakers and the size of the screen>?

• Dual Speakers
  • microSD expansion
  • Build
  • Customization
  • Stock Android
  • Price

Cons

No Cons

rickkk posted on Mar 03, 2017, 2:38 PM
Posts: 0; Member since: Mar 03, 2017

moto pure x

rickkk has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I am not a tech kind of guy but I don't want to settle on slow phone and the moto pure just beats s the moto g4 and when combined with speakers its an enjoyable phone
Ok guys help me out how do I turn on gps? voice controls? please help a newbie

Pros

• suprisingly fast enjoyable phone to use and put apps on

Cons

• its a bit confusing I don't need to wave my hand for camera of flashlight totally a waste of technologyh

elayne posted on Feb 01, 2017, 10:52 PM
Posts: 0; Member since: Feb 01, 2017

Close to tears

elayne has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

I absolutely love this phone. I purchased this phone a few months after it came out, as flagship phone I believe. Not once have I ever had a problem... until now. A few months ago I started having problems with the charging port on this phone and it has gotten to the point where I have to purchase I new one (there's no place to fix it where I live). I do not want to give up my phone, I am on the verge of tears on this one. Usually I am so excited to have and try something new, but in this case, I just want my phone to work forever. I am afraid to purchase a new one of these because I am afraid to have the same issue.. I wish they would come out with a newer version of the moto x pure, but it doesn't look like that will be happening. So, sadly, I say goodbye.

Have dropped and scratched this phone so many times... I'm clumsy and I have a toddler. And it has not once affected the quality of the build.
Never once had an issue.
The best
Perfect
The battery life and charging capabilities were always top notch, until the charging port starting acting up :-/

Pros

• Fast charging
  • Cameras
  • Overall usage
  • Multitasking

Cons

• Charging port
  • Camera itself could use a little more "pizazz"

bdlacy posted on Dec 31, 2016, 5:54 PM
Posts: 0; Member since: Mar 10, 2012

Great Device!

bdlacy has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

No bloatware, camera very good. Switched from Samsung, never going back. But what a strong device. It runs smoothly, a benefit of stock Android that you don't see in devices with UI on top of it. Unlocked, all that carrier bloatware is a thing of the past with just the usual Google apps and some Motorola options. It's audio is fantastic.

Pros

• Pure Android experience
  • Unlocked
  • Turbo Charging very fast
  • Front-facing speakers
  • Camera decent
  • Micro-SD expansion
  • Moderate pricing

Cons

No Cons

CreepyCulture posted on Nov 04, 2016, 1:36 AM
Posts: 0; Member since: Nov 04, 2016

My favorite cellphone to date!

CreepyCulture has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

I've had a lot of phones in the past bit the Moto X Pure Edition is hands down my favorite device. No bloatware, an amazing camera, beautiful large display, a build that feels great in your hands, two front facing speakers, and the option to customize it anyway you want! You definitely can't go wrong with this phone, especially for the price!

ibulp posted on Apr 19, 2016, 10:04 AM
Posts: 2; Member since: Jul 20, 2014

Super fast but easy to crack

ibulp has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

Very fast phone and smooth, I switched from galaxy S5 to Moto X Pure because I wanted a fast phone at that time, the camera takes beautiful pictures, however the build quality is not good whenever you drop your phone you will have to either crack or break a part of the body.. Overall a very good phone and I recommend it with protection

whenever you drop it, you will crack or scratch somewhere on phone's body

Pros

• Fast, Smooth, stylish and elegant

Cons

• Cracks and breaks so fast

Lp7504sv posted on Feb 03, 2016, 11:12 PM
Posts: 0; Member since: Feb 23, 2013

Best phone I've owned.

Lp7504sv has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

Everything about this phone is exceptional!!! Better than any nexus or int iPhone. The stock ui is very fast and simple to use. Moto actions are a must have on any phone. Not only do you get use to the phone, but the phone gets use to you, making everyday things fast and easy.

Pros

• Everything except the cost

Cons

• Cost

sumaer45 posted on Oct 25, 2015, 8:38 AM
Posts: 0; Member since: Sep 29, 2015

Amazing Phone For an Amazing Price

sumaer45 has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

Amazing phone, super powerful, feels great in the hand, just wish the battery life and camera were a little better. Stock Android makes this phone amazing, and the amount of ram (3 GB) is great. Awesome build quality, as the back of the phone has one of the most grippy textures ever!

No Build Quality Problems

Pros

• Stock Android
  • Powerful Processor
  • Amazing Display
  • Decent Camera

Cons

• Mediocre Battery Life

fsudolphin posted on Oct 21, 2015, 2:59 PM
Posts: 0; Member since: Oct 21, 2015

Can't beat it for the price

fsudolphin has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

Is this the best phone out there? No. But it's close enough to the best phones out there that you will still be happy with the extra $200-$400 in your pocket after choosing this over its pricier cousins.

Pros

• Great performance for $399
  • SD Card Slot
  • Not tied to a carrier
  • Near-Stock Android
  • Bootloader is unlockable
  • Turbo Charging is very fast
  • Front-facing speakers

Cons

• Battery Not Replaceable

newmotoguy posted on Oct 10, 2015, 7:44 PM
Posts: 0; Member since: Oct 10, 2015

My first Motorola since the RAZR.

newmotoguy has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

So happy to finally have a Motorola phone again after all of these years, one that I won't return after just a few days. Haven't really liked a phone this much since the RAZR. Feels great in my hand and it is built very nice. Screen is just awesome.

Pros

• batter

Cons

No Cons

blackjack1 posted on Oct 09, 2015, 6:54 PM
Posts: 0; Member since: Oct 09, 2015

bad design, power back up and super sensitive screen

blackjack1 has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

poor design, screen broke after falling from less than 2 feet wifi is weak..
battery lasts only 20hrs with normal usage which is half of what it lasts for me on my old iphone 5s
very bad customer service.

Pros

• pure android experience

Cons

• pricey
  • screen breaks
  • battery, wifi - poor
  • no resale value
  • poor customer service