Microsoft Lumia 640 User Reviews

jontaylor07 posted on Aug 17, 2016, 7:12 AM
Posts: 169; Member since: Oct 12, 2015

Wonderful Budget Phone

jontaylor07 has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

This phone is one of the best budget phones out there. The OS is of course easy to use and straightforward. Battery life for this device is great. The camera is good for a budget device, but won't compete with most high-end flagships. Great phone, I would recommend it over any other sub-$200 device I've tried.

Very practical, solid phone. However the phone does run on a budget CPU so some performance will suffer. Overall it is very good, especially for the price.
The built-in Windows Phone 8.1 keyboard is great, as good as any other keyboard I've used.

Pros

• Great Battery Life
  • Near-perfect display, better than some flagships
  • Small and lightweight

Cons

• Low end CPU and GPU

jontaylor07 alternatives:

snowgator posted on Nov 11, 2015, 2:03 AM
Posts: 3621; Member since: Jan 19, 2011

Amazing Phone for the price.

snowgator has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

I donated my Samsung ATIV S Neo to someone, so I needed a quick replacement. Instead of going through the hassles of buying online, I just zipped to my local department store and grabbed one of these for $60.00 to tie me over until I decide on what top end device I wanted. I wasn't expecting much.

What I got is the best bargain phone I could have ever asked for. What Microsoft accomplished in such a small package is nothing but astounding. It performs so much quicker then I was prepared for- websites load zippy and scrolling is near flawless. Desktop websites are a little sluggish, but I have no complaints. Downloads are accomplished well, and while the 8GB of memory is a joke, my SD card loaded up fine. Audio is not the clearest as it has the "dot" on the back for a speaker, but it is stupid loud for such a small freckle. Headphones are not amazing quality, but it is actually a step up from my Samsung and comparable to a lot of more expensive devices. Reception is great, the screen is fine as far as picture goes, and the camera has quick shutter speed and is fine for such a cheap device.

There are a few areas where the lower quality shows:

-Front facing camera is a joke.
-The entire body is removable. While that allows for new ones to be put on to change the color, the disadvantage is it fits lose. You can feel the body flexing.
-Battery life: Not so much. I expected way better. It will get you through a day, but very little more. Some reviews say 2 day life,...

Very loose fitting body around the phone. Designed to come off for easy replacement, but it just is not a solid enough fit. But it is a high quality plastic so it feels protected. The screen is gorilla glass- on a 60.00 phone. Amazing.
No problems.
Not extremely clear, but it is loud.
Sings through most activities. I am truly impressed.
I stream radio shows, download podcasts and music. Again, I have no idea how it could be better for the price range.
Rear camera is fine- quick as a hiccup and decent photos. The front facing camera is grainy.
A complete strength.
I giggle at how much I am getting for the price.
Screen response makes this a chore.
Looks fine. It is good in sunlight. The 5" screen is spacious. But the response is the most annoying thing on this phone. Very sluggish by todays standards.
Fine, but for the lower end processor and display I did expect better.

Pros

• Price to quality is fantastic
  • Handles downloads and web browsing so well.
  • Camera shutter speed is great.
  • Very good headphone sound performance.
  • Loud little speaker on back
  • Exellent reception and decent call quality.
  • Slated for Windows 10 mobile so it will be supported

Cons

• Found my screen to be sluggish response which makes texting and gaming a little difficult.
  • FFC is horrid for this day and age.
  • Battery life cannot stand up to constant usage.
  • Some random reboots during use

profperez1 posted on Sep 21, 2015, 2:01 PM
Posts: 76; Member since: May 08, 2012

Great phone for $80!

profperez1 has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I have used all 4 OS's in the last 12 months and Windows is right up there. I;m not an APP person so it has what I need. I use mobile web short cuts on APPS I can't get a hold of. I used 50% of the battery on a busy Sunday. I was really surprised and the picture quality. So in short your tax on a Samsung/Apple will exceed the cost of this phone--and it feels just as nice. Most people just use like 6 APPS for real so I wouldn't really spend more than a $100-$200 for something.

Nice square shape--not happy with the new curve trand
the 8mp doesn't do it justice
5 inches fits in my pocket and the apps work better than some other OS. I have used 4 OS's in the last 12 months
As good as anything out there--in bright mode you can see very clear
For $80 I have to give it a 10---offer all/most features you get on a phone 8x the cost!

SemperFiV12 posted on Aug 10, 2015, 3:06 AM
Posts: 949; Member since: Nov 09, 2010

Amazing VALUE - if you want BANG 4 BUCK

SemperFiV12 has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

Upgraded from a Lumia 925... and although it was a refreshing change, newer does not always mean better. It will be a placeholder until a high end device replaces it (either Nexus 6, or a Windows 10 Mobile device :D)

A lot of plastic, similar to Samsung Galaxy build quality. Step back from sturdy Nokia build quality.
Connected to LTE
Speaker could be better.
Camera is a BIG step back from a Lumia 925 and Lumia 1520... On par with most phones, but not what a Windows Phone user is used to (at least with higher end Lumias)
Everything flows so well. Effortless operation, even with many apps open.
This phone can be worked... I find myself pushing this phone to its limits, and it does not give. Few limitations listed in the review, but for the most part surprisingly robust.
Just average.
A LOT better than my iPhone 5s and Nexus 5... On par with my Lumia 925... Not as great as my Lumia 1520.

Pros

• SD card slot
  • Removable Battery
  • Best value on the market

Cons

• I do NOT like on screen buttons!

mrjoltz posted on Dec 15, 2016, 7:12 AM
Posts: 0; Member since: Sep 16, 2012

Great Buy

mrjoltz has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

A lot has changed software wise since the initial reviews.

Money-wise it's a brainer to buy because of the price point and the near-premium quality of the hardware. This definitely a Nokia phone in spirit.

Pros

• Cameras are great considering the price point.
  • The full Windows 10 experience on a smartphone! Includes Office, FB, Instagram and Twitter
  • Still has excellent software support. Bugs have been fixed since the initial reviews.
  • MicroSD Card
  • Replaceable back cover.
  • Replaceable battery.
  • Battery life is excellent.

Cons

• Windows 10 lacks Snapchat
  • Some app developers are rather slow to respond to bugs.

jakub posted on Nov 02, 2016, 5:06 AM
Posts: 0; Member since: Nov 02, 2016

For that price it have no opponents

jakub has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

Good to normal usage like calls pictures etc, good built quality. Windows 10 kills the joy of using that phone.. They have troubles since 8.0 which they didn't fix to this day. If you had this device on 8.1, never update to 10. You will regret it.

I go with 9, it's almost perfect.. Almost because fitting could be better
never had problems
Perfect. I never used a phone with that good call quality, it loud and clear. About loudness I never hold a phone which be even close to 640
Ok. There is nothing to say. It works.
windows have it's limitations
Very good. You can make good pictures.. but camera software is buged.
It works fluently
No troubles about the phone.
Since win10 they broke windowsflow.
Low luminance, poor sun readability. But it's perfect to dark room and you can adjut the parametrs
I'll go with 1.. Battery it self is good, but windows can't fix the issue with loops and troubles going back to idle.. So under windows it dosen't matter how big is your battery. It can die in few hours even when you don't use the phone.

Pros

• built quality
  • call quality

Cons

• Windows 10
  • low luminance screen
  • low luminance led

MediKron posted on May 29, 2016, 4:28 AM
Posts: 0; Member since: May 29, 2016

Loved it

MediKron has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

I personally loved this phone. It is a budget device, with very good features. Although I had some issues with it, but those were individual problems with that device itself and Microsoft, after all changed the device.

I always feared that it will slip out of my hand because of the plastic back.
It was better then I used to have,but not the best.

• Stabile system
  • Satisfying camera

Cons

No Cons

Centuries posted on Oct 27, 2015, 4:50 PM
Posts: 1; Member since: Oct 25, 2015

Review

Centuries has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

Good pricing for such that, but it is slower than the competition which is even worse GPU than the iPhone 5s, and is actually only a bit behind even the iPhone 5, which is very capable to this day, this $80 smartphone would give you many cons.

Pros

• 4G LTE Speed
  • Big Display
  • 1080p
  • Corning Gorilla Glass on $80 phone
  • Flash included

Cons

• Low Resolution and ppi (294 ppi)
  • Only 1GB of RAM
  • Only Bluetooth 4.0
  • 8MP vs 0.9MP (Lacks 4K)
  • Slow speed (Quad Core) bad at Single Core
  • Only 1.2 GHz clock speed, bad at Multi Core
  • Lacks Gorilla Glass 4
  • Lacks cases (protection)
  • Worst picture quality

Centuries alternatives:

Powered_By_Pies posted on Oct 26, 2015, 7:30 PM
Posts: 0; Member since: Oct 26, 2015

Just not feeling it.

Powered_By_Pies has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

Only had it a week as I'm newly converted from Android after my faithful Nexus 4 finally went to the charger in the sky, but so far I'm not very enamoured with the Lumia, or with Windows as an OS. The apps seem laggy and buggy, the keyboard lags and writes gobbledegook, apps like WhatsApp don't push notifications unless I have the app physically open on my screen - and that's after going through the troubleshooting on both WA's and Microsoft's help pages about 3 times - everything feels quite clunky and not very well laid out, and the UI doesn't feel as intuitive or as user-friendly as the Nexus did.

On the positive side, aesthetically the 640 looks nice, has a good weight to it and is a good size to hold in one hand, swiping on the screen is quick and easy and the display is crisp and sharp. The camera's ok - selfie lovers will prefer the 730 but for an extra £60-odd I'd argue whether it was worth the additional cost - battery life is good and it's handy to be able to swap this out for a replacement should the original start showing signs of age (one downside to the nexus was an internal battery that I could - and might - replace to bring it back to life), but that's really about it.

I'm still not sold on this phone. I've only had it a week, there's a big learning curve ahead as I've spent almost 3 years on Android so I know this is a new experience, but I've got to say, the initial signs aren't very promising, and my head's already been turned by the Nexus 5X that's been...

Build quality feels solid enough, although removing the back can sometimes feel like you're about to snap the phone and you need to gently pry at it with your fingernails which can be fiddly - don't do it standing up else you'll see the phone cartwheel out of your hands and towards the floor pretty quickly!
No issues with call reception on my carrier Tesco Mobile (UK, backed by O2's network signal)
Seems sluggish and sometimes a bit unresponsive. Explorer is a nightmare to use and Chrome doesn't seem to be available to download from the app store - no prizes for guessing why, though.
Fiddly photo gallery, not had a chance to test video and music just yet though.
Rear camera seems ok, front camera is sludgy and pixelates quite easily. HD shots don't seem that HD in reality when you view them back.
Clunky, unintuitive and not very user-friendly, this is my biggest gripe - learning curves aside Microsoft need to think about this as their main audiences will likely be iOS or Android converts - smooth UI's go a long way to winning us over for the long term. This just doesn't feel like it's gonna cut it.
The issues actually put me off using it for the same amount of things as I used the Nexus 4 for - regular scanning of social media apps - the Facebook and Twitter apps look and feel like older versions that I used on my Blackberry Curve! They seem to be the most up-to-date ones at the time of writing as well, which is worrying. For a phone that's only a week old, to already not be happy enough to use it regularly is a big concern.
This is my second biggest gripe - the keyboard feels awful. Unintuitive, sluggish, too many mis-placed words or phrases, I've tried various things to attempt to 'fix' or speed it up, but it leaves me infuriated. Considering I'm a heavy user of WhatsApp for contacting friends in other countries, this really leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. I need almost twice as long to compose a message to make sure I'm not sending them random gobbledegook!
This is what the phone does best in my opinion, sharp, clear display with no colour bleed or blurs, it does what it needs to and everything's easy to make out.
Battery life seems strong on this phone, and the fact it's user-changeable is a big bonus, so you can replace it with a new one if the original one starts suffering with what I call 'charge-fade'.

Pros

• Good build quality
  • Good display
  • Vast majority of commonly used apps are supported on the Windows App Store
  • User-changeable battery
  • Additional Micro SD storage available
  • Interchangeable back-plates

Cons

• Clunky, awkward UI
  • Keyboard is slow and unintuitive
  • Apps don't look as sophisticated as they do on Android devices - seem quite laggy and unresponsive
  • Notifications for apps like WhatsApp don't seem to work, regardless of what you try to do to fix it
  • Windows Denim seems to be more about aesthetics, not under the hood performance

sugosugita posted on Oct 10, 2015, 1:14 AM
Posts: 0; Member since: Oct 10, 2015

Great Value Phone

sugosugita has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

For $79, this thing is outstanding. If you put it up against a $800 phone, you'll be disappointed. 5" screen, external storage, and a modern UI make this a great budget smartphone. Getting apps you might want is kind of a bummer, but I've found stuff to suit my needs.

spioners123 posted on Oct 04, 2015, 11:27 AM
Posts: 0; Member since: Sep 13, 2015

The Lumia who kicks the butt of androids

spioners123 has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

Nothing much to say, great phone for the price, microsoft has improved from their first phones a lot. All the cons i mention aren't really cons. If you are thinking about the xl version or lte version, then even the plain version will be good for you. I was thinking about the xl lte version, but when i tried the plain version of Microsoft Lumia 640, i understood, that it will ok for me.

Feels a bit loose
Could have had earphones, but that's not necessary, because the ones who are usually included, aren't the best
The music player should appear in the notification bar when it is used
Decent camera, the only minus is the video playback minor lags
Nothing really to complain about, because it doesn't try to open a program very quickly which usually caused annoying lags for androids and made them unresponsive.
Could have had the camera button which other lumias have
I have had android phones,the layout is a little bit different(because i am using Latvian language) and android keyboard is a little bit more intuitive. I am used to their keyboards, but i think i will get used to this one, so it's a matter of time, when i'll say 10/10
300ppi is more than enough, even 200 is enough if you are not looking for pixels! Those who say that 300ppi is average are lying. Yes, for nowaday phone compared to flagship phone it's pretty average, but as i said even 200p is enough. The colors on this display are great. Unfortunately it isnt scratch resistant, i have quite much scratches in less than a month usage.
This is the thing that android could learn from! excellent battery life, could easily last 2 days with quite heavy usage.

Pros

• Performance, options for that price
  • Double tap to turn the screen on or off
  • Showing clock even when the screen is turned off
  • Offline navigation(i can go abroad and use navigation)
  • Fully manual control over camera(of course it has auto mode)

Cons

• When I take the phone out of the pocket, i can't recognize which side is the right one (top or bottom)
  • The phone doesn't make any heat so, in winter my hands will be cold
  • Doesnt have a lot of programms which android has
  • The screen, unfortunately, isn't scratch resistant. After less then a month usage it has 5 scratches on display

spioners123 alternatives:

loden posted on Jul 01, 2015, 11:58 PM
Posts: 0; Member since: Jul 01, 2015

Fantastic value!

loden has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

Sharp display, slim size, 2 day battery life, solid camera, HD voice, Windows Phone OS. This is an incredible phone for the money. Coming from a Samsung Galaxy S III, Note 2, iPhone 5/4s, HTC One, HTC Incredible, I have high expectations and this phone did not disappoint. The 5" display is large without the phone being hard to hold. Speaker was loud, Web browsing was zippy, and the battery lasts forever. There is not very much bloatware, and even Facebook could be uninstalled with a few taps.

Plastic back, but Gorilla glass screen. Money well spent.
Good signal strength everywhere I go on MetroPCS (T-mobile)
good, clear calls to land lines, also HD voice is available if the other person on the line has it too.
Got almost 30 mb/sec download on Speedtest.net
some videos hiccuped, but recovered. speakers nice and loud
Exposure settings leans toward being too dark, but I have not tried the HDR function yet.
fast & responsive to the touch
This thing was faster than my netbook surfing the web
Has swipe and regular input. 90% accurate.
Gorgeous at this price point
I charge it once every two days with regular usage. 2500 mah battery is large for its class

Pros

• Two Day Battery life
  • Fast, responsive UI
  • Back cover replaceable - handy if scratched on back or edge
  • Free FM Radio built in with Artist/song title display
  • Sharp photos, but dim exposure
  • Display is resolution only 8% less than iPhone 6

Cons

• Lack of apps as compared to Android/IOS
  • No Gmail with Primary, Social, and Promotion categories in Outlook
  • Missing some of my favorite apps (Zillow and Interactive Brokers)

loden alternatives: