LG V30 User Reviews

9.1

MarmiteTheDog posted on Sep 13, 2018, 5:54 AM
Posts: 191; Member since: Jul 31, 2017

Flawed perfection

MarmiteTheDog has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

The LG V30 is, for me, the only real choice for a smartphone due to its (almost) unique ability to drive my high-end headphones. It does everyghing as you would expect any flagship Android device to do, but there are niggles.

The screen, whilst being OLED doesn't come close to those made by Samsung, but it still preferable to an LCD screen. You need to be careful which always-on display you use because the prettiest one is a battery hog, and the internet speed over wi-fi is only 'acceptible'.

On the plus side, its gorgeous in blue and feels much nicer in the hand and in use than current Samsung devices due to its flatter screen. Its also a quick phone that shows me there is no real need to go for a phone with a faster chipset (in fact, LG have slowed the on-screen stuff down, which can be sped up in one of the menu settings).

The camera hardware is good, the software, not so much. Installing the Pixel camera app improves photos markedly.

Overall, I'm really happy with the phone, but just think how much better it could have been with a Samsung panel...

Front glass has subtle creases in the corners
Reception is great
Call quality is great
Modem could be faster
Good, but not perfect
Good with LG's software, better with Google's
As fast as anything else out there in real world use
A lovely phone to use
My favourit Android keyboard - it just feels 'right'
Better than LCD, not as good as Samsung's OLEDs
Very good

• A joy to use

Cons

• Screen is not as good as s Samsung OLED
  • Needs Google software to unleash cameras
  • Middling wi-fi speed

DFranch posted on Jan 02, 2018, 2:37 PM
Posts: 533; Member since: Apr 20, 2012

1st LG phone. Love it!!!

DFranch has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

This has been a really great phone. the battery life is amazing. the size is perfect, and I'm seeing none of the widely over exaggerated screen problems. My screen is perfect. I find the wide angle camera to be quite useful. I also don't understand all the complaints about the interface, I'm actually using the default launcher. I could never do that in a samsung phone. Absolutely no regrets purchasing this phone!

• Screen ratio
  • fingerprint sensor
  • Battery Life!!
  • performance

Cons

• selfie camera

dragon76 posted on Dec 21, 2017, 4:43 PM
Posts: 32; Member since: Jun 24, 2012

LG.... almost perfect

dragon76 has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I will say that the phone is a pretty good looking product. I am only concerned about some of the build quality issues that I have encountered. 1. The screen is pretty nice but it doesn't look 100% like an OLED with blacks not being as "deep black" as Samsungs. Also the screen has some "waving" issue right below the front facing camera, below the gorilla glass.

The camera is pretty impressive yet lacks low light quality, guess Samsung and HTC spoiled me with high quality low light pics.

The audio is super impressive and it is definitely a good selling point for this phone.

Battery is the best out there....

but overall it is a very good phone

Pros

• Audio

Cons

No Cons

PSAfromThisGuy posted on Oct 28, 2017, 3:24 PM
Posts: 145; Member since: Jan 16, 2017

First time LG user

PSAfromThisGuy has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I've been a Motorola user for the past 6+ years. I finally needed a change after I was constantly let down by the camera quality. I work in the wireless industry, and have always preferred the less popular high-end smartphones. I decided after my Motorola Turbo 2 that I should give LG some love. I have had the phone for a week so far, and I love it. It was easy to capture a pretty good quality picture of the stars. It definitely see's more than the naked eye. I love the pro camera features, and over all, the size of the V30 is comparable to my previous Turbo 2 by Motorola. I understand that LG hasn't had the best reputation so I was hesitant... however, their 2 year warranty definitely made the decision a lot easier. If this phone continues to prove to me how much I already love it, I could see LG making a substantial come-back. Right now, I recommend this phone to anyone. Cases are a bit hard to find in stores.

Blueprintsrecords posted on Oct 25, 2017, 1:40 PM
Posts: 20; Member since: Oct 24, 2017

Another User Who Loves LG V30

Blueprintsrecords has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I notice all the units shipped to reviewers have screen uniformity problems, blotching, whatever. Actual owners seem to not have this problem. Add me to the list. I was looking for screen problems but you know what? The screen is amazing! I love this phone and I’ve had smartphones going back to Palm Pilot. Something strange is going on here. I’ve checked owner reviews everywhere I can find them and 99% love this phone but all the review units have problems. Suspicious. BTW I got 2 on TMobile’s BOGO and they’re both perfect.

• Connectivity
  • HDR Ready
  • Lightweight

Cons

No Cons

naittosan posted on Oct 16, 2017, 3:24 PM
Posts: 239; Member since: Jun 28, 2014

Lg V30 best all around smartphone

naittosan has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I got the V30 Oct 5th, read the user manual twice over to make sure I didn't miss anything. Let's face it we can find short coming in any phone if we look hard enough. But if we look back ten years ago we should be amazed at any phone we are holding in our hands today. I personally like the V30 because of it's lack of external physical buttons. It's so easy to hold without hitting all the buttons on the s7 edge I had. It also have the features I love with the camera, and music quality. So too me I would say this phone is perfect because I am happy with it. I guess that's what it comes down too, get what you are happy with, not what someone else says you'll be happy with.

Pros

• Easy to hold and operate.

midhath93 posted on Oct 16, 2017, 3:46 AM
Posts: 15; Member since: Jun 23, 2014

Camera? Quad DAC? Display? Battery? What else? Best phone ever hands down!

midhath93 has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

Well i dont know where to start. This is just my second review and how amazing, both are of LG. Though i have used samsung, tried Iphone, Pixel and recently had one plus 5 as well.

Question 1. Is there any phone that comes close to how great the V30 is? Nope. Not even close.
Question 2. What's so great?
Well, I honestly dint expect a flagship phone which has such a high resolution display which is 6.0' to last a full day of usage and still have 30% remain end of the day. Best battery life phone that i have used for last 6 years of smart phone era for me.
Secondly, I own a Canon EOS 750D. I take photos. Lots of them. Like crazy amount of them. Im willing to sell my lovely 750D now. Hope that's enough said? Yes. This piece of thing is brilliance written all around it. Yes. The V30.

Thirdly, display and performance. top notch. i assume that was expected right? Well it exceeds the expectation believe me. Just brilliant.

Lastly, the music experience once you connect the headphone is just out of this world. You will find the difference in each and every beat.

if i could rate it more.
Well done LG.
Thank you LG. You've got a fan. This phone will be told about to everyone that i know. Though most the isheeps and samsung fans are brainwashed.

• Cine video
  • Graphy
  • Always on display

Cons

No Cons

ZPM101 posted on Oct 15, 2017, 11:35 AM
Posts: 36; Member since: Apr 12, 2010

LG V30 is amazing!

ZPM101 has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I've owned and used the V30 heavily since release. 1 week now. Hands down the best, most impressive device I've owned to date. No cons at all. Stellar in every (and I mean EVERY) way! I'm so glad I waited. I've owned Flagship Samsung, LG, and Nokia in recent years and they always had something lacking, but the V30 is is a new breath of fresh air for me. 100% satisfied.

Maybe the radio needs a firmware update, but overall, very,acceptable.
Maybe the radio needs a firmware update, but overall, very,acceptable.
I wish I could go higher than 10 for this review. It's unbelievable! With moderate/regular use, one could go all day and still have 40% left. Under high usage, one will be at 15-20% after 14hrs. Truly amazing. I don't play video games on mobile devices so, your mileage may vary in the regard.

• Camera and Video
  • Build quality
  • Speed and functionality
  • Overall size dimensions

wildcat80 posted on Oct 05, 2017, 8:54 PM
Posts: 7; Member since: Aug 02, 2012

Fantastic Phone!!!

wildcat80 has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

Great quality, great screen, headphone jack. The best of the best. This is the best of the 2017 flagships! It’s also the best LG that I’ve used. As fast as any Android on the market, best screen to body ratio and all the little things are done right.

Pros

• Great screen
  • Very fast UI
  • Headphone jack
  • Very good battery

Cons

No Cons

lozanro posted on Sep 28, 2017, 4:14 AM
Posts: 7; Member since: Aug 10, 2013

Definitively a good evolution of the V series

lozanro has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

Digging the Quad DAC (which is available to all, unlike G6's market discrimination).
The screen is awesome - it was about time LG passed to OLED.
A stylus would be a really good addition to compete with the Note 8 series.
Otherwise - excellent smartphone - better than the preceding flagships of both G and V series.

Pros

• Quad DAC

Cons

• Lack of stylus

lozanro alternatives:

Furkan posted on Sep 24, 2017, 4:15 AM
Posts: 552; Member since: Feb 25, 2017

Enough quality

Furkan has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

Don't have problems for now.Definitely better than my old G5.I wasnt have time for waiting LG G7 so I bought it.I think there wont be any rooting way or flashing rom like other LG phones.But I had to prefer V30 because Note8 is overpriced for me. To me you can prefer it...

Pros

• POLED
  • Floating Bar
  • Quad DAC

Cons

• Speakers

zachki17 posted on Sep 24, 2017, 4:13 AM
Posts: 294; Member since: Sep 14, 2014

Best phone 2017

zachki17 has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

Got it last week and i test it by myself this phone is amazing peace of art the look the design the feel in the hand the performance gamings snaping listen to music this is the best phone i ever owned

Pros

• OLED DISPLAY
  • SLIM BEZELS
  • PERFORMANCE
  • BUILD QUALITY
  • SPEAKER
  • QUAD DAC
  • REAR CAMERA THE BEST CAMERA EVER ON A PHONE
  • BATTERY LIFE GET UP TO 10H SCREEN ON TIME

Cons

No Cons

zachki17 alternatives:

Fiaria posted on Aug 26, 2018, 4:05 AM
Posts: 0; Member since: Aug 26, 2018

Disappointed

Fiaria has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

I got my first LG V30+ a few months ago, then really started to notice having problems with it. Camera quality was worse than my previous Samsung Galaxy 6 that is 2 years older than it I believe (especially in low light & zooming in) and it would randomly not work most notably with instagram or snapchat, recording sound was bad quality, data sucks even though mine is unlimited, the touch screen would glitch and think I had pressed it 5 times when I touched it once, and I had apps glitch so I would have to restart the phone for it to be resolved. I had Sprint (my provider) do a reset or whatever it was on my phone but it didn't resolve the issue. So they sent a new phone a few days ago. Camera, video & audio quality are still bad, and I already had an app glitch on me making me restart the phone. For this being a new LG phone and I even had a new one sent, I'm very disappointed and am going to see what I can do to switch this phone in for a different brand, probably a Galaxy. I do not want to have to deal with this phone for a full year. The only real positives of this phone over my last experience, the Galaxy S6, are the battery life and storage space.

• Storage space

Cons

• Camera, video, recorded audio quality
  • Glitches
  • Nothing really special about it

Shippje posted on Jul 10, 2018, 4:02 AM
Posts: 0; Member since: Jul 10, 2018

Well-built phone

Shippje has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

I have been using LG phones for quite a while and they have not let me down. I like how they slimmed down from the V20 and still produced a great product. The V30 has a sleek glass body, beautiful resolution, and an sweet audio feature.

Pros

• Slim body style
  • Screen resolution
  • Audio
  • Wide angle camera

Cons

No Cons

chicchaz posted on Jun 14, 2018, 11:50 AM
Posts: 3; Member since: Dec 31, 2015

update: phone destroyed. original: Just got it and it's great!

chicchaz has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

I damaged my V30 yesterday when it dropped and was crushed under 250+ lbs. while leaning against a street curb. The front glass cracked, the rear glass shattered and the metal body twisted. I doubt it still works but may attempt to have it resurrected.

This seems like an excellent time to re-review this phone. It's been a love / hate relationship. Pros: Widescreen camera is SO useful. If you haven't used one yet, you need to give it a shot.
Oreo!
Processor & RAM
Cons: LG UX OS

Original review (2/18):
I just got this phone a few days ago to replace my dear but ailing HTC 10. My short list included the V30 and the Note8 and I'm glad I went for the LG. I bought it used locally, and although I won't tell you how much I paid for it, let's just say the price got the attention of the salesperson at T-Mobile who helped with activation. ;)

So far, I'm loving the screen, the form factor, the looks (I'm getting a clear case for it soon), the call quality (absolutely crystal clear), the battery life and the audio quality. I'm an audio engineer and didn't want to downgrade from the excellent DAC in the HTC. One thing I do miss is the adaptive BoomSound on the HTC. It's something I never thought I'd use in the first place because I'm an audio snob. However, it helped my earphones sound full, especially on transit commutes. I could always tell when it wasn't engaged and missed it. I may find a substitute for that on the V30 via an app.

Also in the 'missing it' camp, is the notification...

The widescreen camera option is fantastic and well-implemented. You can always switch to the normal camera, and zooming automatically switches between them. As with many phones though, low light photos are tricky. (6/18)
Wow this phone is fast! I never experienced lag in almost 6 months of use. I often run split-screen apps and it never choked. (6/18)
Read full review for detail, but Swype works flawlessly on the V30.
Oh what a beautiful screen - until I smashed it! (6/18)
A full 16-hour day under heavy use w/ BT enabled rarely brought it below 50%. I have fast chargers at home & work I've used only a handful of times. (6/18)

• screen
  • lack of bezels
  • full screen support
  • 1/8
  • quad DAC
  • wireless charging
  • SD card slot
  • no notch!
  • rear fingerprint sensor (6/18)

Cons

• no notification LED
  • LG's version of Android not intuitive or convenient compared to HTC sense, though I appreciate it doesn't add too much junk on top of Android. (6/18)

chicchaz alternatives:

davej0o posted on Jan 11, 2018, 6:57 AM
Posts: 0; Member since: Jan 11, 2018

LG V30 Loving it

davej0o has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

1st LG phone and been using this phone for over a month. All the screen issues that is being bashed at this phone is not right. I have no problems with the screen and outdoor visibility is good. Listening to FLAC and WAV format Audio on this phone is a Joy (truly an audiophile phone). The Rear Cameras are very good and it really shines with the Manual Mode. Selfie obsessed people are in for a dissapointment as the front camera is just OK. After using it for I got used to the UI and UI is average but the UI speed is very much flagship. The build quality is also excellent. Overall I love this phone.

Pros

• Camera (especially manual mode)
  • Music
  • Fast UI
  • High Res Screen

Cons

• Front Camera
  • UI Design
  • Comes with Nougat out of the box

aireaton42 posted on Nov 18, 2017, 12:26 PM
Posts: 0; Member since: Nov 18, 2017

Good, but far from perfect

aireaton42 has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

This is a phone for anyone who values headphone audio, a lot of camera controls, and the audio quality at live concerts. But if you don't value those things, there are a lot of things on this phone (weak speaker, just bad front camera, and a pretty ugly UI) that are somewhat of a letdown, especially for the price of more than $800.

Personally, I love the DAC and AMP and the very nice camera. However, I do wish that I had gotten a different phone or at least consider another one of the options below. Don't get me wrong, this is a nice overall phone, however nice just doesn't justify the price.

Pros

• Headphone DAC and AMP is EPIC
  • Display is very good in normal to bright light
  • Battery life is all day
  • UI is overall speedy
  • Rear camera is good
  • Call quality is great
  • Vibration motor is on point with Apple

Cons

• The front camera is just... the worst ... easily the worst thing on this phone
  • display sometimes looks funny in extremely low light
  • UI is fast, but it does not justify its existence over stock Andriod
  • The speaker is bad, the worst i have ever heard on a smartphone
  • The phone is so light that it feels a piece of glass with a case on it
  • Software update future is looking bleak

aireaton42 alternatives:

Qsr-1 posted on Oct 16, 2017, 8:45 AM
Posts: 2; Member since: Oct 16, 2017

V30: Best of LG

Qsr-1 has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

This is best device from LG till now. I love it. Best audio, display, UI, camera, and most important best battery life. It is really premium phone of year from LG. I hope LG will continue improving devices in future.

enonono21 posted on Oct 12, 2017, 9:15 AM
Posts: 0; Member since: Oct 12, 2017

Read this if you are stuck between Galaxy Note/8, Pixel XL2, and/or iPhone

enonono21 has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I've owned a lot of phones in my lifetime and I consider myself a smartphone snob; I research for eternity or wait MONTHS until competition to arrive to compare. To be honest, I was leaning towards either buying the Pixel XL 2 or the iPhone X, but once I held the V30, I knew this was my next phone. This is an absolute killer: every crevice of this device was built with the consumer in mind. I cannot believe the amount of attention to detail and market research LG did in creating this phone. It's lightweight, but not cheap. It has a 6in pOLED screen, but the form factor is perfect for any hand size. Headphone jack AND a quad DAC?... if you have not tried listening to music with a good DAC, I highly suggest you try it before you say anything. Needless to say the audio experience is golden. The camera is also incredible. You can watch youtube reviews of the camera since my words can't do it justice. If you use this phone for a few days and say there is a phone is better, you're either an apple f***boy or a samsung snob that is jealous that your main rival created a masterpiece that is worth competing against the Note and Galaxy line. Remove your head from your asses and get this phone #noragrets

The default LG keyboard is not the best, but you can always download the Google keyboard or 3rd party

Pros

• Quad DAC
  • Headphone Jack
  • Qi + Fast Charge

Cons

• No front firing speakers

enonono21 alternatives:

Wanutibit posted on Oct 07, 2017, 10:16 PM
Posts: 0; Member since: Aug 31, 2017

Got it a few weeks ago, amazing phone.

Wanutibit has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

Everything about it seems to fly, along with the beautiful cameras taking amazing shots. Can't wait to see this thing get Oreo, battery life seems to be really good with around 4-5 hours of screen on time. Hope this gets some fast updates as LG has lacked in the past.

Mahdif2 posted on Oct 06, 2017, 6:54 AM
Posts: 2; Member since: Oct 06, 2017

Everything you want from a phone

Mahdif2 has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

Really great really.It's all great. Its screen is very high-quality. His camera stunned me. Its operating system really goes. Design is superb. The quality of the headphones is the best in the world.............................................​..................................................​....................................

Pros

Cons

• nothing

ezekwang posted on Oct 05, 2017, 5:22 PM
Posts: 0; Member since: Oct 05, 2017

LG V30

ezekwang has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

This phone is amazing, LG stepped the game up and now this phone is better than the note 8 and the iphone 8.
Finger print senser is great
good amout of RAM
Phone runs really fast
Slim phone disign
Good large 6 inch display

Pros

• Great screen
  • Amazing Camera

Cons

No Cons

omar92 posted on Oct 04, 2017, 3:08 PM
Posts: 5; Member since: Dec 09, 2016

V30

omar92 has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

Almost the perfect phone, it would need stereo speakers and a bigger battery to complete the perfection. But overall this phone has higher quality and features than a average user would need. Oledi is great, Quad DAC is the best quality, and the camera is like a profesional.

Pros

• Perfect screen
  • Pro videos

Cons

• average speaker

omar92 alternatives: