Acer ICONIA TAB A500 User Reviews

ItsMichaelNotMike posted on Jun 27, 2011, 3:52 PM
Posts: 8; Member since: Nov 21, 2010

Best Tablet On The Market - And I Considered Them All

ItsMichaelNotMike has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

I have been following tablets since Esteban came down from Mount Cupertino with his tablets for his followers.

What I determined early on was that I would NOT have both a high-end cell phone AND an expensive tablet. I would either have a large display phone and NO tablet, or get a tablet and downgrade my phone, especially since having a tablet, netbook, notebook and superphone would be redundant.

I also said to myself that NO WAY would I buy a tablet from a carrier, considering that what they do (aka the tablet's limitations) was not worth paying $500 for the tablet and a two year data contract.

I bought this Acer Iconia tablet, that is sweet. A testament to how pleasing it is, I will be keeping it albeit CostCo, where I bought it, has a 90-day return privilege.

What I like best about the Acer is its connectivity. It has a microUSB port AND also a full-sized 2.0 USB port (I connected a USB keyboard and typed on the Acer with it. That is so cool. No need to spend $80 for an Apple KB, or whatever they pay.)

I also connected a thumb drive and played a movie directly from the drive (note: there was a Class 10 speed chip in the drive).

I found myself using the tablet as I thought I would, for multi-media viewing, Net access, e-reading and other uses for which I used to use one of my superphones. So I will be downgrading my phone, no longer needing a large screen for multi-media viewing and surfing the Net, the tablet will do all that.

Acer did not scrimp on details. This feels and is in fact a quality device.
Camera is so so, but then again, I did not buy a tablet to take photographs. I have my dedicated digital cameras and cell phones for that.
The Acer weighs a lot because it has two huge batteries inside, I think rated at 3600 mAh each, but I could be wrong on the power rating. But battery life is awesome, especially if one uses some power saving features (display on mid-bright instead of "full blast", turn off WiFi if not using it).

Pros

• Build quality.
  • Connectivity.
  • Price - $480 for 32GB model!

Cons

• Weight, but not a big issue.

jcchavez86 posted on Jul 01, 2012, 7:15 PM
Posts: 2; Member since: Oct 08, 2010

Made my iPad friend's jealous ;)

jcchavez86 has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

Got more than the buck... I chose this brand over any phone manufacture brands because PC manufactures makes a good reputation of timely updates, and Acer did not disappoint. Currently on ICS 4.0.3, and I'm sure Acer will bring JB 4.1 onto it... The person I'm giving it to, will have a wonderful time with it, as I upgrade to Nexus 7.

Pros

• Timely Updates... way to go ACER!!! (3.0, 3.1, 3.2, 4.0.3))
  • Full sized 2.0 USB

Cons

No Cons

umass021 posted on Feb 27, 2012, 7:23 PM
Posts: 0; Member since: Feb 27, 2012

Great Tablet

umass021 has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

I got this tablet for xmas after doing a lot of reasearch. This tablet is amazing for the price you pay. Same specs as a motorola xoom and a lot cheaper. So far I have owned it for about 3 months and haven't seen one problem yet. Everything works well with it. It is also very nice to have a full usb on it which I never see on any high end tablets. I plug my PS3 controller right into it to play games. The hdmi port works well also and looks great on my 46" sony tv. I payed only $230 for a 8gb from best buy but ended up getting a 32gb for the same price because they ran out of stock and they honored the price. I recommend this tablet to anyone who doesn't want to pay the extra money for the same device.

Pros

• Fast UI
  • Long Battery Life
  • Charges Fast
  • Android Software

Cons

• Nothing Yet

omarmv posted on Sep 07, 2011, 1:15 PM
Posts: 0; Member since: Sep 07, 2011

tablet good, nice and a good price

omarmv has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

Very Good product with great performance and a better price, The incorporation of USB and HDMI ports is great for besides being able to read you USB Memory you can connect a Mouse and keyboard, I recommend.
Muy buen producto, con un gran rendimiento y mejor precio. La incorporación de los puertos USB y HDMI es genial, por que además de poder leer memorias USB tambien puedes conectar un Mouse o un teclado. Lo recomiendo.

Pros

• USB, HDMI Ports

Cons

No Cons

attugattu posted on Aug 19, 2011, 7:26 AM
Posts: 0; Member since: Aug 19, 2011

The best tablet ever !!

attugattu has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

I got this tablet on my birthday. It has a very good UI and even upgraded to android 3.1. Very well priced for what you get.You get good things such as hdmi port and a high class sreen. I recommend this tablet to all the people who want class , power , usability and fun !

class-fun-usability-power-multimedia
one word : Iconia A500

Very good aluminium finish and feels solid "o" sturdy
Good Wi-Fi connectivity
Skype calls are good
HD screen and good audio
Sometimes there is lots of glare.
I use it everyday !

Pros

• Almost everything

Cons

• -

cliche posted on Aug 03, 2011, 4:57 AM

love it

cliche has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

love it, not sure why the professional reviews score such low points on what i and many other think is a fantastic and versatile tablet.
its fast, responsive, looks great and above all, does everything it claims to do and more.
browsing the internet is fantastic and connecting to other devices is simple.
hdmi when connected give an amazing full screen view of what your seeing on the screen, so whether your browsing or watching a movie, you get a true hd experience.

Pros

• everything an ipad should be and more

Cons

• heavier than an ipad (big deal, but thats all i could find)

Issac posted on Jun 29, 2011, 12:11 AM

Really strong contender.

Issac has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

Super useful tablet that offers a lot of functionality for a really good price, though, if you can get the Eee Pad + Keyboard, gor for it. If galaxy tab is too expensive, this is the best choice. USB port, LED Flash, MicroSD slot. The build quality is really, really good. I got it for 2 weeks now and I'm really happy.

Really nice and strong design, it looks really resistant.
Had few troubles with Wi-Fi reception, tends to be slow.
Haven't test.
Flash 10.3 and Dual Core, no lag at all.
Dolby Mobile, Stereo Speakers, 10.1 birght display with awsome viewing angles, add HD Video recording, 5mpx camera, HD Games (I got 3 Gameloft HD games preloaded), and make it sweeter with and HDMI port.
Decent job for a TABLET. Flash works fine.
I get force closes with Launcher and Music player rarely often.
Awsome browser + full multimedia + dual core = awsomeness.
Multi-touch keyboard for quick and efficent entry.
Bright and vivid, but you can see some pixels
Watch out, you get 8 hours with EXTREME ussage, I can go with 30 mins moderate sessions (usually music + browser or Twitter/Facebook) and return in 1-2 hours for charge it 1 and a half day after.

Pros

• 3.5mm jack, Micro HDMI, 16GB on board and MicroSD Card Slot and USB Drive.
  • Bright display.
  • Good battery live.
  • Dolby Mobile for a good audio experience.
  • Good design and materials.
  • Nice camera...for a tablet it is.
  • DNLA
  • Unbeatable pricing for the features.

Cons

• Few times some apps will crash randomly.
  • No HDMI cable included.

rayraven posted on Jun 27, 2011, 1:03 AM

Amazing device!

rayraven has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

Amazing device! The full size usb and aluminium finish make this tablet a much better choice than the rest of the android honeycomb tablets out there.

On the flip side, it is a bit bulkier than the rest, but i havent noticed it since i started using it regularly.

The front video camera could be better.
Add a video player from the android market and you've got a device that plays everything you throw at it
The battery life is a bit less than other tablets out there, around a hour less. But it easily gets around 8 hours on normal to heavy use.

Pros

• Aluminium Finish
  • Full Size USB Port
  • Working SD card [unlike Xoom]
  • Gorilla Glass display

Cons

• A bit bulkier than the rest of the tablets

Animeware posted on Jun 16, 2011, 12:26 PM

Acer Iconia Tab

Animeware has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

Fantastic for the Price worth the money......
I've haven't tested out the Call Quality part that's why I left it as a 5..
This device you can do everything on it from a laptop to this tablet it's really fast my option is that this tablet is far better then the Asus EEE Pad that's just my option.

device is fantastic.
I've left it 5 is because I haven't tested out the Video Calling Feature yet.
Just like the IPAD Device it's fast input no lag what so ever...

Pros

• 8-10 Battery Life
  • 1080p Video Playback
  • Full USB Port
  • 5 MP Camera
  • 2 MP Front Camera
  • Runs Smooth

Cons

• N/A