Vivo's "Super HDR" uses AI for better snapshots
The company is also working on improving smartphone photography thanks to its new "Super HDR" platform. Unlike regular HDR, which merges 3 to 5 images of the same photo at different exposure settings in order to produce the "best" picture, "Super HDR" uses AI in the process. This enables it to crunch the data from 12 images (with an Exposure Value up to 14) taken with one tap of the shutter button.
Vivo states that "Super HDR" offers five advantages over the HDR technology now found on most handsets. These include:
- Highly adaptable: With a wider dynamic range of 14EV, Super HDR can ensure perfect shots in a broader range of lighting scenarios, even in adverse ones. This results in image that shows the details of the rock, grass, mountains and clouds despite the back lit, high contrast scenario.
- Accurate and smart exposure selection: At up to 12 frames, Super HDR has more lighting options for its smart frame selecting strategies to correctly expose all parts of the photo. This retains the natural contrast that is key to accent the features of this photo.
- Intelligent identification: AI-powered scene detection means that each part of the photo can be identified and isolated for processing to insure even complex photos are perfected. The AI can perfectly identify and expose the unique shapes of these rocks, moss, waves and clouds in this shot.
- Natural looking results: Super HDR produces more natural tones by reorganizing and optimizing the highlights and shadow portions of the scene when merging the frames and ensures the photo naturally matches the original scene as seen by human eye. This shows the couple clearly and naturally despite sun and umbrella creating such complex lighting.
- Perfectly lit portraits: Super HDR prioritizes the best lighting for the person in the photo and adjusts the background exposure to produce an optimal and natural portrait. Optimizing the lighting for the girl and creating complimentary lighting of the sky and flowers help accentuate her in the photo for a perfectly lit portrait.
We could see "Super HDR" debut with the Vivo Apex, which is expected to undergo mass production starting in the middle of this year.