WSJ: Samsung's investigation into the Galaxy Note 7 is delaying development of the Galaxy S8
posted by Alan F. / Oct 23, 2016, 11:38 PM
Samsung executives had seen imaging scans including X-Rays, showing how some Galaxy Note 7 batteries were protruding from the phone's casing. Models using batteries from China's ATL were not having this issue. The problem was that only 30% of the initial Galaxy Note 7 units produced were powered by the ATL batteries.
But as it turned out, the Samsung produced batteries clearly weren't the problem after all. This was obvious following the second wave of explosions that affected the replacement models. These units were distributed to Galaxy Note 7 buyers after they sent in their recalled unit. With its initial thoughts about the batteries shown to be incorrect, Samsung continues to investigate the Galaxy Note 7 explosions. Some possible explanations include a possible flaw with the circuit board, or a problem with the software that controlled how the battery acted with other components. Another thought is that the battery case might have been too small to house the Galaxy Note 7's battery.
The focus that Samsung has placed on getting to the bottom of the issue has forced them to delay the development of the Samsung Galaxy S8 by two weeks. The company is hoping that its new flagship phone will take everyone's mind off of the Galaxy Note 7. A teaser discovered earlier this month revealed that the Galaxy S8 will be unveiled on February 26th, the date before MWC 2017 opens. MWC eve has become a traditional unveiling date for Samsung's flagship handset, although it isn't clear if the unveiling will be pushed back by two weeks because of the aforementioned delay.
Meanwhile, the fallout from the Galaxy Note 7 explosions continue. Samsung says that the recalls will cost it $5 billion. The stock, which had hit an all-time high after the initial strong sales performance of the phablet, has since cratered wiping $20 billion off Samsung's valuation.
- Display 5.7" 1440 x 2560 pixels
- Camera 12 MP / 5 MP front
- Processor Qualcomm Snapdragon 820, Quad-core, 2150 MHz
- Storage 64 GB + microSDXC
- Battery 3500 mAh
A summer release would be nice
posted on Oct 23, 2016, 11:44 PM 0
Posts: 116; Member since: Oct 26, 2011
Any reason why PA is the only site not reporting the exploded iphone in Australia?
posted on Oct 24, 2016, 4:41 AM 0
Posts: 2324; Member since: Aug 01, 2015
posted on Oct 24, 2016, 5:20 AM 1
Because the fact that he kept his phone baking in a hot car on a hot australian day under a pair of jeans is idiot and ridiculous lol. Let me just leave a device with a battery in a human microwave parked in the lot. Lol They did talk about it though. They just didnt share the logical information
posted on Oct 24, 2016, 12:02 PM 0
Posts: 1172; Member since: Nov 21, 2011
That's fine. For one, I hear the S8 will be substantially groundbreaking or something so the longer it takes investigate what's wrong with the note 7 then what ever... It's like when I put on my setting powder and don't dust it off all the way and I take a photo with a flash and look like Micheal Jackson.
posted on Oct 24, 2016, 12:01 AM 1
Posts: 241; Member since: Feb 09, 2016
Can't imagine Samsung would release their next flagship phone without determining the root cause(s) of the Note 7 issue(s). A New Report Claims That Galaxy Note 7 Owners Will Be Able to Get Galaxy S8 for Free http://techpathy.com/galaxy-note-7-owners-will-reportedly-get-a-galaxy-s8-for-free/ Samsung officials said, “The new compensation program is designed to make it easier for those who exchange their Galaxy Note 7 with existing Samsung smartphones, to shift into our next model coming in next year.”
posted on Oct 24, 2016, 12:42 AM 0
Posts: 427; Member since: Nov 12, 2012
Oooooorrrr they can just use replaceable battery and move on with it already
posted on Oct 24, 2016, 1:09 AM 0
Posts: 1904; Member since: Mar 25, 2014
The fact that they make statements like this, which are are so much worse then if they stated they have found the issue, really makes me wonder what the heck causes all this, and does make me wonder given how located it was to US (correct me if I am wrong) if it could entirely be the snapdragon and its quickcharge that failed in some way, or maybe even someone found a way to kill batteries in phones akin to the usb killer devices and simply started a trend. It just doesn't seem unlikely that you could get 100 people in a country with hundreds of millions of people to work on causing bad press for a company. Obviously time will tell, but I wouldn't be too surprised myself if it turns out to be true.
posted on Oct 24, 2016, 4:52 AM 0
Send a warning to post author
Send a warning to Selected user.
The user has 0 warnings currently.
Next warning will result in ban!
Ban user and delete all posts
Message to PhoneArena moderator (optional):