Sailfish X for Sony Xperia X now available for purchase for Jolla Tablet backers3
Sailfish X is not a slightly different variation of Android, it's a completely different OS built by Jolla, the Finnish company behind the tablet with the same name. That's probably one of the reasons it doesn't come for free, so if you want to burn €50 on a new OS for your Xperia X, now would be a good time.
Although you can purchase Sailfish X starting today, the image containing the OS will be available for download on October 11. Another important thing worth mentioning is the fact that Sailfish X is only available in the EU countries, plus Norway and Switzerland.
Until October 11, only those who backed the Jolla Tablet crowdfunding campaign can purchase the Sailfish X, and only if they have the voucher the Finnish company sent to some of them.
Basically, Jolla Tablet refund voucher customers will be able to use the sales site to buy themselves the Sailfish X, if they own a Sony Xperia X. The rest of the customers will be able to purchase the new OS starting October 11. Here is what you'll get for the money:
- Sailfish OS software package to flash to your Xperia device;
- Android app support, predictive text input, and MS exchange support as downloads from Jolla Store to your device;
- Software updates for at least one year, after which a continuation program will follow;
- Clear instructions and support for downloading, installation & use;
- Jolla Customer Care service for one year.
Apparently, about 100 vouchers have been given randomly to Jolla Tablet backers, so if you're one of the lucky ones, then you can now redeem it on the sales website. More will probably be offered in the future if Sailfish X will sell better.