Do you think leaks happen only for the hype or it is just sloppiness?

Join the discussion
• 3mo agoedited
↵ilia.t said:

Ah, you know how in The Crown the queen was always boasting how her job is to do precisely nothing. So, I could imagine that nothing is an actual strategy, sometimes.

In any case, this aligns with my general feeling that usually leaks are part of the supply chain chaos, rogue employees or genuine sloppiness. However, I’ve never seen or heard anyone losing their job or being punished somehow for leaking information. Is this something that really happens a lot in the industry?

My original post was implying that some smaller players in the industry do, in fact, purposely leak stuff. Specifically, NOTHING…the brand.

Yes…if/when caught, people absolutely lose their jobs. I’ve seen my fair share of it happening. We all sign very strict non-disclosure agreements. Anyone who’s caught breaking one is an instant fire.

Ilia Temelkov
Ilia Temelkov
Phonearena team
Original poster
• 3mo ago
↵strbckboy said:

My original post was implying that some smaller players in the industry do, in fact, purposely leak stuff. Specifically, NOTHING…the brand.

Yes…if/when caught, people absolutely lose their jobs. I’ve seen my fair share of it happening. We all sign very strict non-disclosure agreements. Anyone who’s caught breaking one is an instant fire.

I got your reference but let’s say my attempt to sound regal was a royal fail. 😅

Anywho, if the risk is that high, I assume leaking information from companies that aren’t nothing should bring a high reward somehow. Any idea what’s this reward? Internet clout? Money?

• 3mo ago

I think it's a bit of both. A few leaks here and there are good for creating a buzz around a new product. The problem is, due to the fight for a good scoop from the media, there's no excitement on launch day anymore. If I think I am likely to buy the latest release of my favourite phone, then I do try and avoid reading any rumours or leaks. It's difficult though.

• 3mo ago
↵ilia.t said:

I got your reference but let’s say my attempt to sound regal was a royal fail. 😅

Anywho, if the risk is that high, I assume leaking information from companies that aren’t nothing should bring a high reward somehow. Any idea what’s this reward? Internet clout? Money?

It’s a strange phenomenon. I don’t think it’s about money or clout. Some people just like to be the person who knows stuff that others don’t…and can’t help but want to tell the world. It makes them feel special, even if no one really ends up knowing who they are. Ultimately, the risk is not worth the lack of reward. I’ve had plenty of people in my own circle ask me questions that I simply can’t answer the way they’d like me to. I simply respond with “No thanks. I like my job, I think I’ll keep it!”

• 3mo ago

I think that leaks are either stealth marketing or a blogger trying to drum up views...probably 99% the later. Realistically, why would a manufacturer want to frustrate customers implying there is something new to buy...when there isn't.

FCC OKs Cingular\'s purchase of AT&T Wireless