Samsung SGH-D807 User Reviews

G
posted on 12 Nov 2008, 22:36

D807

I liked the thought put into this design a lot. My trouble was a cracked screen, which my part played a role, cracked ribbon, and now broken leads from the connection/charger port to the board. I haved replaced the screen plus bought two ribbon which I also replaced one of them; saved one for future. So many trouble with this beauty queen, thats probably why its discontinued.

Pros

• Nice design and easy to use. Call response quick.

Cons

• Bad quality in material and internal designs. Software is very limited; examples, only able to install java applications under 300k, only able to use mp3 as ringtone if under 30 seconds, not able to display some format of pictures.

Cary C.
posted on 06 Jul 2008, 13:33

4.6

Issues...

Ive had this phone for about 2 years now and hate it! I really like the design intent but it was executed poorly.

The first major issue I had with this phone is that the screen started to lose the color red and started working erratically, going on and off. When I saw this happening, I started to manually transfer all of my phone numbers I had from it onto the sim card. Unfortunately, this cannot be done all at one time because there is no option to transfer all of the phone numbers from the phone memory to sim card if you didn't specify it to save the numbers onto the sim card in the first place. After my screen finally died, I took it to an authorized Cingular store to have them hook up to a computer my screen-dead phone to get the numbers transferred to sim, but even though they have the device was hooked up, the phone didn't allow transfer because the phone would not work unless screen was operational. At this point, I wanted to get my numbers out so I wanted to find out myself what was wrong with the phone.
Since I deal with electronics at work, I felt comfortable taking it apart to see what was wrong with it and to repair it if possible. What I found out was that the ribbon cable that slid between the screen and the mainboard was cracking on one edge where there there was a bend which was there to allow for the screen slide. This is something that has to be replaced so I told called up customer service to get a new phone. They sent a new one and I took it apart,...

Jen
posted on 23 May 2008, 11:56

1.6

Horrible

So I take pretty good care of this phone, and I must say it's the worst one I have ever had. It constantly freezes, restarts, hangs up on people. It also likes to wait until I'm in the middle of a conversation on it to start the ringtone. So I have to hang up on whoever I am talking to and take the battery out. I can't put it right back in or I have the same problem. I have to wait a few minutes. I would never recommend this phone. My fiance got the same one and his only lasted two weeks. He never dropped it or did any damage. No scratches nothing! It won't even power on. And no the battery isn't dead because I can use it in mine just fine.

Qemal
posted on 13 Mar 2008, 22:14

sgh-d807 phone wont charge

sgh-d807 phone wont charge.

Don't ever buy this phone. It stopped charging. I bought a new battery and charger, still won't work.

Looks new still. Only 1 year and two months old.

Was well taken care of.

Nancy Harbutz
posted on 18 Dec 2007, 19:46

4.4

nh

I have had 3 of these phones under my year warranty. Now I am going to get another model. I had nothing but problems with all 3. In the end they all would get to the point they wouldn't even charge. No warning just basically stopped working. What hassle. Would not recommend this phone to anybody that just wants a phone to work when you pick it up. This phone has been nothing but a headache.

Erin
posted on 15 Oct 2007, 15:01

Through Thick n Thin...

I got this phone about a year ago. At the time, there wasn't much available to my liking in the Cingular store. The phone caught my eye, I kinda looked at it, then kept looking around, but somehow found myself coming back to it numerous times. It intrigued me enough to give it a shot.

This was the best decision I've ever made in choosing a phone. It's sleek, a great size for safe pocket-keeping, and just an overall straight-forward, easy-to-use phone. I haven't had any problems whatsoever with it.

There are only a couple of minor letdowns, but only "cosmetic" and nothing to do with its reliable function. I didn't really like the fact that I had to cut down ringtones to only about a 30-second file. You get used to it though, and when you do, it's an afterthought, really. The other letdown was the HUGE clock. It's hard to put a decent background so that the clock doesn't cover up half of the picture. And ALL of the choices for clocks are huge. I got used to this as well, though. I photoshop-ed my own and adjusted the pics to fit perfectly with the clock not interfering.

See? Told you they were purely cosmetic letdowns. ;o)

Everything else about this phone is fantastic. It's reliable as all heck, and is so durable. Everyone complains about the little cover piece over the input for the charger, but no one has yet to complain that it actually HAS torn off. lol That cover piece is still on my phone. It's more durable than it looks, obviously.

Sadly, I have to get a new...

Derrik
posted on 17 Sep 2007, 18:37

Not many can beat it

There are only 3 cons (all of which consist of music deals) I have for this phone so i will list them first. (keep in mind that I am rating this phone according to it's category i.e.: palm pilots and the like are not comparable)
1. The maximum songs on an mp3 list seems to be around only 100
2. Some regular mp3s may not be playable if their kbps is too fast
3. In order to set a song as a ringtone, you have to cut it down to around
30 seconds.
Other than these three problems, i am very impressed by this phone and love everything there is to love about owning it. I will have a very difficult time finding a phone to fit my picky criterion after this one is old. I may have to get a palm pilot or the like to beat it.

aj
posted on 22 Aug 2007, 13:19

4.4

this phone is aweful!!1

i got this phone thinking it was cool. it was either this or the krzr, now im getting the razr 2. the mp3 player is the worst ive ever seen on any phone. it is real big and chunky. the camera is great but every thing else stinks.

FerneyZAN
posted on 10 Jun 2007, 11:18

The last of the Sliders for AT&T..

When I finally decided to get me and my wife a new phone, I was looking for this phone in Black and White for my wife to find out that AT&T is taking it off the shelves..

Too bad that AT&T is doing that because I know that am not the only one that likes Slider phones more then the other options.. AT&T needs to bring the Sliders back to it's lineup..

RichBoi
posted on 25 Apr 2007, 22:13

5.2

Its alright

i got this phone in december and i already want a new phone but thats just me i get tierd of phones real quick..but it is a good phone some of the problems are that the sound is really low, u can't record ringtones and you can't have music as a text message alert you have to stick with the 10-14 tones they give you. which you really can't year and you can't have it on. but other then that it is a good phone. its better then the t-mobile slider!!!!

Dave
posted on 03 Apr 2007, 16:30

Versatile, Small, Overall Great

I used to sell cingular, and I got this phone before it came out on the market. It really does everything I would need. I use the camera constantly, and it allows you to make shortcuts for easy access to applications such as calculator, voice recorder, calender, stopwatch, etc etc etc. Really a versatile little gadget, and with a slot of micro SD, I use it as a portable harddrive and transfer to and from with bluetooth. Downside of this phone is that the 1 speaker is terriblly low volume, and its nearly impossible to hear anything if you are in even a moderately noisy place. This also takes away from the MP3 player feature, because I cant even hear the music on the optional headphones when Im riding the bus. This phone would be nearly perfect if it had more volume, and perhaps if the center button on he outside console worked for anything other than media net, which I never use.

lola
posted on 10 Feb 2007, 20:35

help

how do you get music on to it? i'm borrowing it from my mom, and i want to put some music on for her. help? do you need a cord or cd to do it? is it in the manual? i don't know where her manual, so do you know somewhere online that has it? thanks

Joanna
posted on 08 Jan 2007, 13:10

Very happy with it!

I have had the phone for just over a month now and it is really nice. I love the fact that it came with a CD so that I can sink EVERYTHING. I am not too crazy about the fact that when charging the light stays on the whole time, but I haven't had any problems with hearing anyone on the other side. I am also haven't had any network problems with the phone - maybe it is the carrier that is the problem as some have stated in their opinions. One thing that does horribly bother me is that if you email, the phone DOES NOT have the underscore symbol! That is the weirdest thing I found and it is a bit annoying but I learned to live with it.

BadLuckKennedys
posted on 20 Nov 2006, 02:25

Razr on run for money

This phone is truley the ultimate phone in my Idea at aronf 120 to 80 with contract and being super slim it positives also the mp3 player holds like 65 songs another positive. THE YOU HAVE A 1.3 MEGAPIXEL CAMERA is such a great advantage and records vids on a MPEG4 format in audio is such a positive for movie directors such as myself.

bboy
posted on 25 Oct 2006, 16:20

mp3

awsome phone love it... but it says that it supports mp3 ringtones that you can download from your computer... everytime i try to change my ringtone to an mp3 i have it says not allowed... am i doing something wrong. it says nothing about in the instruction manual : ( help

KAT
posted on 20 Oct 2006, 16:00

Samsung SGH-D807

I think the phone volume is really poor, it's not really loud like my other phones. The features is pretty good, but I think there should be a way to lock the net (with a code), instead of having to call into cingular just to disable it. I also believe that the area where you plug in the charger, (that little piece where you have to open it), should of been something other than that piece where it could be easily broken. Other than that, everything else is well done. Thanks for your time.

adamINsane
posted on 08 Oct 2006, 05:12

a teen's point of view

its absolutely cool looking but u cant use the recorded audio as a ringtone and the clock is big an is in the way and the "stubs" that u take out on the side to plug ur charger seriously look like they're gonna pop off ne day. it carries good signal. i dnt like how u cant change the faceplate too. other than that, its a sick phone.

Jeanine
posted on 26 Sep 2006, 19:06

The Best Phone Ever@

It's so pimpin.........You wont regret buying this fone!!!!The best part is that it takes your command and will take you almost nany where you please.

Ross Burns
posted on 14 Aug 2006, 11:55

Now, i have had a number of cellphones over the years, of all different makes and service providers... and this phone is by far the best one i've ever owned

i droped my third razr in a puddle, it died, so i bought a pantech c300, which isnt a bad phone at all, it just didnt have enough features for me. so i exchanged it for a d807...which i love.

The Good:

1.3 megapixle camera...takes very nice pictures and video

Style- this phone looks great, slides open and closed nice and smooth

Features and customization- its the most user customizable phones i've ever used, personalized ringtones, you can change the color and layout of nearly everything, including text, bluetooth conectivity is great, has wonderful range
it serves as a great mp3 player, as long as you are willing to buy a memory card and headphones for it, as it does not come with those, it replaced my ipod

battery life- has exellent battery life, much better than the razr, slvr, and pantech c300

large, bright screen... the screen is just a tad smaller than the razr, however it is also more bright and supports more colors

because of the memory card/data cable, you dont have to pay to download ringtones, you can simply take any mp3 off of your computer and use it as a ring tone

the bad-

speaker volume is a little low, although it is louder than most motorola phones

videos only record in .3gp format

the phones so new there are almost no accessories out for it, such as belt clips..ect

all...

ECallahan
posted on 10 Aug 2006, 17:11

It's ok - but not outstanding!!!

I have had the phone for 2 weeks now. I will start with the good points I like.
1. Nice slide action - very smooth
2. Very nice looking screen
3. Lots of functions
4. External memery card slot (mini SD) But expensive
5. Plays MP3's
6. Caller ID ringtones
7. Very nice looking, not bulky, light weight
8. Great for mobile email - like a charm!

What I don't like:
1. Caller ID ringtones require you to put # from sim to phone which gives you duplicate entries on the phone
2. Scrren gets finger prints all over the screen when opening it (annoying)
3. Speaker Phone is not loud enough
4. Can hear through the earpiece when its quiet - any noise around and its very hard to hear
5. Does not come with a way to get pics or music off/ on the phone
6. Buttons on the front and the # pad are very small. The down arrow is easy to miss and hit the clear key (annoying)
7. Charging cover very flimsy - looks like it will break very soon
8. Battery doesnt last too long
9. No flash for the camera
10. Might have 5 bars then take a step in either direction and then it drops down to 1 or 0 bars
11. A little uncomfortable on the ear when trying to listen to a call with ANY noise in the back ground.

Ok - thats about it. I am taking this phone back today and getting something else.

MLKIDS
posted on 15 Jul 2006, 10:28

I couldn't hear the callers

I just plain couldn't hear the people on the other end of the line. In a quiet plave it was fine, but in my car or outside it was a futile effort. Thx

Emily
posted on 16 Jun 2006, 13:06

d807

i just bought this phone and i love it. the design, the quality, love it all.
the only thing i would change is the key spacing. everything seems a little scrunched and i tend to hit the wrong key. gets very annoying.
but overall this is a wonderful piece of equipment. very sleek.

Sally
posted on 14 Jun 2006, 17:44

Minta!!

I think this is an amazing phone, lightweight, thin and great value for money. It offers a wide range of features including a clear 1.3 megapixel camera/video and amazing memory storage. A good all-round phone, but to be honest the only thing i'd change would be the way you txt it's just not its best quality.

J Bizzle
posted on 12 Jun 2006, 03:59

More Bang for the Buck

This is by far an amazing phone for the money. 1.3 megapixel camera with bluetooth and mp3 player. The screen is crystal clear and sharp. The sound is a little too low but overall amazing. The physical design alone is spectacular. I personaly think it looks better than T-moblie's T809. The metalic bezzle around the screen makes it look so much nicer. The sliding mechanism is also smoother. Overall, a way better by than the SLVR in my opinion...and the new V3i thats coming out soon (RAZR with iTunes and a 1.23 mp camera) Im guessing that ones gonna be super expencive...