iPhone 5 powered by the A6: 2x the power and 22% smaller
1. mas11 (Posts: 1033; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
So Apple what's it clocked at? Kinda skipped the most important part... Probably 1.2 GHz at best.
10. TheLibertine (Posts: 484; Member since: 15 Jan 2012)
They never say much about the clock speed, cause they mostly concentrate on graphics performance. But double the performance without additional cores would mean... Something like 1,5 GHz Dual Core.
20. TheLibertine (Posts: 484; Member since: 15 Jan 2012)
I guess that should be it. Apple never gave much about clock speed.
27. remixfa (Posts: 14252; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
They are not using A15's. The die shrink would be more than 22% from the 40nm chip used in the i4s. That points to a 32nm chip.. which means its the rebranded Exynos 4212 again, like they use in the iPad. That means its still an A9. Apple is almost never on the forefront of the speed race. They want the chips cheap while still being semi powerful.
The iphone has no use for that much power as it is, much less the power of an A15.. lol. That's like having a ferarri Enzo and being told your never allowed to go over 30mph.
34. Jobes (Posts: 364; Member since: 27 Oct 2011)
AHH I enjoy the Enzo comment ;) made me all warm and tingly inside, love that car.
41. kabel (Posts: 46; Member since: 06 Nov 2011)
I guess we will see, but it may be based on A15's:
44. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4154; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
They said it's 22% smaller than the 40nm chip in the 4S, that's about 32nm, which means it's still A-9, and it's just a rebranded Exynos 4212 with a different GPU.
47. kabel (Posts: 46; Member since: 06 Nov 2011)
Apple designes and lays out their SoC, Samsung is just a foundry, doing what Apple tells them to manufacture ...
49. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4154; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
That's all Apples processors have been, rebranded Exynos. They use the same architecture, same process of making it, and even the same company makes it. Apple just slaps their own name on it.
50. kabel (Posts: 46; Member since: 06 Nov 2011)
Samsung SoC desing team and the Samsung Foundry are two separate entities, and besides that are competitors. This one of the reasons why Apple whant to stay away from Samsung Fab; two competing companies using the same foundry could have some intelectual property leaks from one to another and vice versa. Have you compared die-shots from Apple SoC and Samsung SoC? I'll tell you they are very different (Siri, camera ISP, ...). They don't slap Apple name for sure. Anyway they are stuck with Samsung, because Intel won't do Apple's SoC's ... If Intel agrees to do Apple's SoC, then Apple will dropp Samsung Foundry in a heart bit!
52. remixfa (Posts: 14252; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
that is conjecture. my conjecture says that its the A5X underclocked. They agree that its 32nm in size, which fits with the already used Exynos 4412 rebranding in the A5X.. which also sports a much bigger GPU than the i4s did.
53. kabel (Posts: 46; Member since: 06 Nov 2011)
32nm is very possible. Why do you think that they are rebranding Samsung SoC's? Apple already swallowed SoC design companies, and they do design their own, not just take whatever Samsung has on the shelf (like Exynos 4412 you keep referring to). From what i know, only thing that they share is the same fab process (since they are using the same foundry, which dictates the process), and that is all. How the fab process is related to possibility of having A15 in A6? Why can't A6 be A15 based on 32nm process?
30. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Who care about the speed? There are 5 rows of iCons now.
Yawn. As I posted in other threads, it is an incremental improvement over the 4S.
2. Vinayakn73 (Posts: 189; Member since: 05 Oct 2011)
BLAH BLAH BLAH we have faster processor. blah blah and then 5s will come and the apple will start again blah blah . then it will sue intel cause it have used i for i3, i5 and i7
6. PAPINYC (banned) (Posts: 2315; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
You skipped i4 and i6 and, the yet released, i8 and i9, respectively.
8. Vinayakn73 (Posts: 189; Member since: 05 Oct 2011)
thanx a lot 4 oh sorry for reminding me. i is gonna lost from english dictionery
i miss u i
3. tahnik (Posts: 133; Member since: 17 Jul 2011)
Damn Apple...i can't let you disappoint me everytime....My One S is still far better...
4. matt1q2aw3 (Posts: 13; Member since: 30 Dec 2011)
Where is the innovation? I was expecting alot more.
5. PAPINYC (banned) (Posts: 2315; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
Wow, this will definitely change the game as 4 inch smartphones will never be the same again. Thanks Apple for the huge advAncement in technology.
24. SleepingOz (unregistered)
i4s was worse dude.
12. ekia007 (Posts: 61; Member since: 27 Feb 2012)
apple, Is that the revolutionary product? lol. same design. same width. sigh.....
13. Bfrenz (Posts: 106; Member since: 26 Aug 2012)
Hmmm.. Sorry Apple,Inc. You've missed a loyal customer.. Am gonna buy Lumia 920. Its way better.
16. Nikolas.Oliver (banned) (Posts: 1574; Member since: 01 Jul 2012)
hate the two tones design...galaxy nexus design is better
18. remixfa (Posts: 14252; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
if they are comparing it to the i4s, then that should mean its a 32nm chip.. which means its a rebranded 4212 exynos just like the iPad's A5X chip. That would also fit the 2x more power through the GPU upgrade.
My guess is that its the A5X, clocked DOWN to preserve battery life since the A5X is a battery hog (hence the massive battery in the New iPad). It would still be a pretty nice upgrade over the older A5 chip.
21. Vinayakn73 (Posts: 189; Member since: 05 Oct 2011)
apple will sell lollipops with every new iPhone so that it will help to keep the mouth shuts of ifans
23. Vinayakn73 (Posts: 189; Member since: 05 Oct 2011)
they are sucking lolipops. lil wayne gave them
25. kimoz (Posts: 11; Member since: 03 Jul 2012)
wait a second guys we already saw 4 inch screens and for the design , it is the same as iphone 4 but taller , same pixel density , faster cpu and gpu .can you tell me what is surprising???????!!!!!!!!!!
26. Savage (unregistered)
Is it dual or quad core?
32. remixfa (Posts: 14252; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
dual core CPU. The GPU will be quad core.
33. Savage (unregistered)
I guess they are saving extra cores for the 5S next year.
35. remixfa (Posts: 14252; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
why in the world will iOS need quad cores next year? is the OS actually going to do something other than be a list of icons? No need for it. As long as they keep increasing the GPU, people will be happy.
36. Savage (unregistered)
Haha, you got a point. Not much to do with a icon-grid launcher. Unless they introduce true-multitasking.
43. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Multi-tasking for iMaps. That definitely requires quad-cores. Kind of like having to chew bubble gum and fart at the same time.
48. Savage (unregistered)
Thats funny because even single core androids can offer multitasking easily. And iOS needs dual or quad-core to multitask just one app.
28. SleepingOz (unregistered)
GNOTE II, here I come!
31. laghari (Posts: 8; Member since: 08 Sep 2012)
It's Nokia that goes beyond its customers' expectations and surprises everyone everytime, just like Lumia 920. It has lots of innovative new features. And here is your iCrap with the same old design; just a tweak in the processor and nothing more. And they still call it an innovative product. Give me a break Apple!
37. djoscar4u (Posts: 59; Member since: 10 Sep 2012)
galaxy s3 dual core vs iphone 5 quad core..... who wins?
39. remixfa (Posts: 14252; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
yea, you go find that iphone5 quad core.
when you come back to reality from your fantasy land, you can try that statement again.. lol.
BTW, the SGS3 is a quad core phone with a quadcore GPU.
The i5 is a dual core phone with a quad core GPU.
38. djoscar4u (Posts: 59; Member since: 10 Sep 2012)
not even close, iphone 5 Quad core by a mile>>>lmao
40. Hamdan (Posts: 15; Member since: 14 Apr 2012)
Everything was leaked months ago, poor security by Apple. .
42. iami67 (Posts: 318; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
I agree every immportant question apple skipped i guess we just have to take there word for it hey they promise its better so its gonna be right. They said the front camera is better is it atleast a 2 mp yet or still half a mp. there should be a law with eletronics that these companies have to use the same measurements. so apple cant say well yours is a dual core 1.7 mine is a a6 6 is bigger then 2x 1.7 so the a6 logically is better right.
What if every gas company made up there own numbers for how much gas you get per dollar. hess does $4.00 for a gallon shell charges $3.00 for a shellaliter and exxon charges $5.00 exton. which one are we actually getting more for our money. I guess the public will assume since exxon has ton in it and is charging more it has to be a better deal right or atleast has to be more fluid. that what apples theory is. i dont care if you love or hate apple you have to agree with this.
45. ericsorensen (Posts: 51; Member since: 17 Nov 2011)
My Galaxy Nexus from last November is equal or better in specs and WAY better in OS software. They can't even call it "HD", because the resolution isn't even 720P.
46. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4154; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
The OMAP 4460 was out done by the Exynos 4212 in benchmarks if I'm not mistaken. Which is basically what the A6 is, a rebranded Exynos. Also, if it has the GPU that the new iPad does, it will be even more powerful. The A6 has better performance over the Galaxy Nexus, but you are right about the OS.
51. lumialove (Posts: 75; Member since: 16 May 2012)
Nokia was full of innovations and got luke warm response...had apple did the same...tech magazines,techies would have told"wow it's B.R.I.L.L.I.A.N.T'...such biased reporting.