iPad mini shows up in Taiwan, could it be real?
Jimmy Lin bragged with his “new toy mini iPad” on Chinese microblogging service Sina and you can see the picture of him holding the intriguing device below. The blogging website Sina, where the image appeared, is getting widely popular in Asia and has been getting a lot of attention as Facebook's own Zuckerberg visited the blog yesterday on his trip. It could well turn out to be the next leakster's heaven as many manufacturers are based in Asia. In any case, we will keep you posted if more pictures of the iPad mini appear.
In the meantime, cast your opinions on this in the comments – could the iPad mini be real or is it just a fake clone?
source: Akihabara via Electronista
2. clevername posted on 22 Dec 2010, 10:30 2 0
Fake. For no other reason than there is no good reason wy this man would have it.
3. ayephoner posted on 22 Dec 2010, 10:58 2 1
every time ive come to phone arena in the past week or so, the ad page pops up with the "continue to phonearena" link up top. i have to click on that link 2 or 3 times before i ever get to the home page. when i do, there is a flash ad taking up the bottom part of the screen. i hope some of this is just an error and you guys arent that hungry for ad money. i might take my phone reading elsewhere if this isnt fixed soon.
5. Droid X Doug (unregistered) posted on 22 Dec 2010, 11:54 1 0
@ayephoner - how else do you expect phonearena.com to pay the bills? It is not subscription-based, so how are they to pay the bills?
6. the_nza (unregistered) posted on 22 Dec 2010, 12:09 0 0
"every time ive come to phone arena in the past week or so, the ad page pops up with the "continue to phonearena" link up top. i have to click on that link 2 or 3 times before i ever get to the home page. when i do, there is a flash ad taking up the bottom part of the screen. " same here, my problem isnt that i have to go through ads its that i have to go through 3 ads then once i finally get to the page the bottom is blocked by an ad, phone arena isn't the only place to get news
21. Anthony (unregistered) posted on 22 Dec 2010, 23:23 2 0
Go somewhere else then. It only takes like two seconds to click "go to". Please stop your crying or make your own phone site. People like you I can not stand!!
15. Nebsterification posted on 22 Dec 2010, 18:59 1 0
if you use the safari browser there is something you can download that will automatically get rid of all ads for you. There are ways to block ads other than not going to the site.
4. evolover (unregistered) posted on 22 Dec 2010, 11:29 1 0
I think that pic is legit. This was an article back in Jan that mentioned an Apple Islate, which is a 7.1 inch device per the specs. Check it out: http://www.phonearena.com/news
7. appleshinanagins (unregistered) posted on 22 Dec 2010, 12:10 0 0
Most likley will come out.. because the ipad is combersome, but there is no way this guy has one!!
I call Shinanagins!!
8. JeffdaBeat posted on 22 Dec 2010, 12:23 2 1
Didn't Steve Jobs say something to effect that the current size was the best for tablets and that Apple wouldn't go for a smaller one?
I call Shinanagins too...a year ago, I saw pictures for a "iPhone mini" screen...that never came to light...
9. trentsinmypants posted on 22 Dec 2010, 13:17 1 1
Didnt Steve Jobs once say that tablets were useless and that the public would never embrace them? Look at Apple now....
11. JeffdaBeat posted on 22 Dec 2010, 13:28 3 1
He was right...the public isn't embracing tablets more than they are embracing Apple. Tabs were nothing until they put an Apple logo on back then all of a sudden everyone wanted one...
25. smpdx posted on 23 Dec 2010, 17:56 0 1
HAHA thats so true.
I almost feel dirty inside for buying my non-apple tablet. Knowing that they made it popular almost makes me sick to own anything associated.
10. 530gemini posted on 22 Dec 2010, 13:21 5 1
Fake of course. Mr Jobs was very clear when he made a statement about the ipad's ideal screen size and that it was impractical to make it smaller or bigger for its purpose.
20. Droid X Doug (unregistered) posted on 22 Dec 2010, 23:08 1 0
Unless the 7" tablets get traction in the market and start taking sales away from the iPad.... Then I suspect that Steve will have an epiphany. There was a time when Steve derisively dismissed tablets as only useful when one was on the toilet (words to that effect; the exact quote depends on who is telling the story).
I always wondered why the iPhone's 3.5 inch display was sufficient while a 7 inch display was not....
12. skymitch89 posted on 22 Dec 2010, 13:52 0 0
The pic might be real, but I'm sure that the smaller device is just a knock off. Kind of like the knock off iPhones, SciPhone. The smaller device could be a SciPad.
Like they have the SciPhone which is a knock off of the iPhone, this could be a SciPad, a knock off of the iPad.
13. Mr.knowalot (unregistered) posted on 22 Dec 2010, 14:02 3 0
That is definitely a gimmick, for many reasons:
1. This guy having one would be like someone's gay cousin named pookie having one. Very very unlikely.
2. Based on what we've seen in the past Apple would be hunting this guy down and covering it up as if it were an incindent at area 51.
3. The suggested Islate that was leaked in Jan. is, according to the leak, running Mac Os x 10.7. Which sounds stupid enough to begin with. Even if you believed in such a fairytale device this isn't it.
4. How often do we see a credible leak concerning Apple and when does that ever come with a picture of a whack job holding it it his run down apartment.
14. DrewSadik posted on 22 Dec 2010, 16:39 1 0
oh my gosh people theres so many iPad rip-offs thats just another one of them
16. Rawrzellers posted on 22 Dec 2010, 19:24 0 1
Okay seriously who cares. Spend the $1000 on a laptop and you get x10 what you'll get from an iPad. AND FLASH.
17. Janet (unregistered) posted on 22 Dec 2010, 20:30 0 0
I don't think that one is a really 7inch iPad, as I don't see the camera on it!! it's a Big Old Hoax!
Well, to the iPad 2, Im looking forward to be thinner, lighter, and with the camera, of course Facetime video chat support, though the first iPad make me sucked in videos and movies enjoy, though sometime need the help of iFunia iPad video converter for lack of flash support, I think if have the camera will be cooler and more apeal~
18. TKFox007 posted on 22 Dec 2010, 20:36 1 1
I call BS, Steve Jobs said that there wasn't going to be a smaller iPad and we all know his word is law.
19. underwood2012 posted on 22 Dec 2010, 21:13 2 0
In the picture it looks like both of them (supposed iPad and iPad mini) have FIVE icons on the bottom dock. Doesn't iOS for iPad only support FOUR icons on the bottom dock?
If that is so, then this picture is definitely a fake.
That's how I came to my conclusion, unlike you other people who simply had a feeling or are going by Steve Jobs' word - since when has Steve Jobs told the truth? :P
PS: I do not know if you can have more than four, I have played with an iPad (and it only had four icons on the bottom dock) but I do not own one, and on Apple's site it only shows four icons in the bottom dock. So I figured it can only have four (or less) on the bottom dock, why wouldn't Apple show case its full icon-carrying potential if it can hold more?
22. Gilgamesh226 (unregistered) posted on 23 Dec 2010, 08:05 1 0
Who cares? Tired of all the hoopla over Ipads. If you have ever played with one, you would see the interface is exactly like the Itouch. it is just an Itouch with a larger screen and no basic ports. Really don't care if they make a smaller one with exact same interface and restrictions. Probably have the same layout, no USB, no CardReader, no Camera, and yet the Isheep will fawn over it like the second coming. Sad...
23. XxVerbalxX (unregistered) posted on 23 Dec 2010, 13:57 0 0
Looks like a galaxy tab with just some customization to make it look like an ipad to me. sure with pandahome or openhome it can b done. not news to me
24. XxVerbalxX (unregistered) posted on 23 Dec 2010, 14:00 2 0
in fact im pretty positive it is a galaxy tab...pretty sure that is the default wallpaper for it on his "mini ipad". this dude isnt a tech nerd. to him all tablets are prob ipads.